Page 85 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3575808182838485868788899095135 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 2889
Like Tree17Likes
  1.    #1681  
    Quote Originally Posted by everette13 View Post
    could i ask for clarification on this. the wiki implies two different things:
    1. As of version 1.4.x-87 of UberKernel, once the CPU temperature hits 55C, it will automatically clock itself down to 500MHz in order to cool itself. Once the temperature drops to 50C, it will resume running at whatever speed you've set it at.
    2. The kernel is set up to run at 500 while charging.

on the TS in my car (where overheating has been a problem) i've noticed that the CPU is not set to 500, and goes above 500 often. #1 implies MHz limited only when at temp limits, while #2 implies MHz always limited.
    which is correct?
    #1 is always enabled, irrespective of governor choice.

#2 only applies when the screenstate governor is selected, and only when the device is charging.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I just ran into a problem today where I can't make any changes in Advanced Settings. If I try to save a profile, then click on it, Govnah defaults to the screenstate500/1000. I also noticed when in advanced settings if I try to change the compache setting it keeps going back to 16mb. I updated both UK and Govnah the other day, v1.4.5 and v0.6.7 respectively and Preware is showing v1.2.7,i already tried installing the stock Palm kernel then reinstalling UK but it did not help. I have also rebooted multiple times. I also noticed I started getting the TMC error today, which I haven't seen since I installed UK. Govnah still shows UK set at screestate500/1000 when I check it after getting the TMC error. This just happened today, I was able to use the advanced settings just last night. I assumed the possibility that the update got interrupted, but as I said I was just able to use advanced settings, now all of a sudden it doesn't work. That's why I tried the stock kernel/reinstall UK.
    Any ideas?
    using a verizon 1.4.5 pixi. Govnah saves profile, but doesn't save compcache when i exit govnah. also, on a phone restart it puts it back to palm default profile.
    Verizon Pixi Plus on 1.4.5 w/ Preware
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    This is what I found... The GUI is incorrectly reporting on battery percentage, nothing new. I know they use some algorithm to make it seem like you have more battery at certain times than you do but the ratio was pretty big.

For example the UI said 100% but the kernel said 93%... then went down to 90% and the UI didnt move from 100%.

Since the kernel is the holder of the battery monitoring line I trust what it says. The Palm stock kernel does the same thing in my testing,

So if the UI is trying to do some silly over-calculation of battery left while you are running at a high speed - even tho there isnt that much battery left, I would assume a hardware assisted shutdown will be coming. I do remember the Pre wont turn on unless it has something like 15% battery. Also keep in mind running at higher speeds kills battery quicker... esp if its already low .
    Well, yes. The thing is, i'm using UK for a very long time now, from the beginning at 600MHz (using the patch before), and it never did this... went down to 0% without any problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by ice8lue View Post
    Well, yes. The thing is, i'm using UK for a very long time now, from the beginning at 600MHz (using the patch before), and it never did this... went down to 0% without any problems.
    I could not make my Pre do this even with all that software/patches you had installed. That was the only anomaly i found. And I did the drain and recharge routine quite a few times past 20%.
    Live free or DIE!
    Hello I have already posted this under "Got my 3rd Pre now UK 1GHz doesn't work?" and maybe I posted it in the wrong forum:
    I've had UK 1.4.5-92 on my second Pre with Bell Mobility 1.4.5 and it worked fine. I got my 3rd yesterday and everytime I put it in 1Ghz/250Mhz Screenstate, seems to lock up on me, nothing works but a battery pull.

I doctored my phone today(thought it was 1.4.5, turned out to be 1.4.1.1) then did an OTA update to 1.4.5

Installed Preware via WOSQI
    Added Testing Feeds
    Updated All Feeds
    Installed Emergency FStab Fixer
    Installed Govnah
    Installed Uberkernel
    Set Govnah to 250/1GHz
    (all necessary resets already done)
    Fire up Preware.... Phone freezes

if I leave it at Screenstate 500/800 everything works as per normal (minus 200MHz)

So, am I pretty much screwed as far as getting to the 1G again, ie is this something to do with the hardware or is there something I can do to get back up there again?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Some phones really really really do not like 250mhz. Its not a kernel but a hardware issue. So the 'best' maybe 500 / 1Ghz instead.
    ok thanks mudshark I'll try that out and see if it'll work for me
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    No worries.
    My phone does not like 250mhz. So I am using the F104Starfighter @ 400/1.1Ghz and it has been stable for me. But for some others, it will not be as each phone is unique.

Let us know the 500 / 1Ghz works out for you.
    My sprint pre doesn't like speeds slower than 500 either, but it didn't lock up a lot just once every day or half a day. But after trying scaling I deciding I like it better at a fixed speed. Screen state is a good option as well with it at 500 when off and higher speed when on. Only time I go back to 500 is when I hit the temp limit from 3D games or GPS navigating. Or in combination heavy load and charging.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    I just ran into a problem today where I can't make any changes in Advanced Settings. If I try to save a profile, then click on it, Govnah defaults to the screenstate500/1000. I also noticed when in advanced settings if I try to change the compache setting it keeps going back to 16mb. I updated both UK and Govnah the other day, v1.4.5 and v0.6.7 respectively and Preware is showing v1.2.7,i already tried installing the stock Palm kernel then reinstalling UK but it did not help. I have also rebooted multiple times. I also noticed I started getting the TMC error today, which I haven't seen since I installed UK. Govnah still shows UK set at screestate500/1000 when I check it after getting the TMC error. This just happened today, I was able to use the advanced settings just last night. I assumed the possibility that the update got interrupted, but as I said I was just able to use advanced settings, now all of a sudden it doesn't work. That's why I tried the stock kernel/reinstall UK.
    Any ideas?
    Not sure if it is needed but if you could provide the settings for the profile you are saving it may help in troubleshooting. But it may be possible the two profiles are too similar and the custom profile is being seen as the prebuilt one. I believe to change the compcache amount you need to turn compcache off and click apply. Then change the amount, turn compcache back on and click apply again. Did you start getting TMC (more frequently?) after the install of the palm kernel and reinstall of uber kernel or before? Note that TMC isn't completely removed but rather an error in the code was fixed so that the proper amount of memory available is considered for when to alert the user with TMC.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    I was able to get the compache settings to stay doing the way you said. Unfortunetly it still won't let me choose that profile. When I save it, then click on it it still just defaults to the screenstate500/1000, which is basically the profile i'm trying to use, just with compache enabled.
    The TMC errors started about a second before I discovered the issue in Govnah. I tried to open Deer Hunter and got the TMC error. So I went into Govnah to choose the profile I had saved with compache enabled, and that's when I noticed I couldn't set it to a custom profile.

But I just got back from the local Sprint store and I have a replacment phone arriving tuesday for unrelated issues. So I will install UK/Govnah on that phone and go from there.
    Because the only difference between the prebuilt profile and your profile is turning compcache on you should delete the prebuilt profile to avoid the situation you are experiencing. Does the TMC error when opening deer hunter also occur if you open it right after rebooting your device?
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Because the only difference between the prebuilt profile and your profile is turning compcache on you should delete the prebuilt profile to avoid the situation you are experiencing...
    I was just going to suggest this. It worked for my, and my custom 500/1000 is now the one that shows up when I select it. I believe Rod mentioned this a couple weeks ago somewhere in either this thread or the Screenstate thread, but I can't remember where...
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Yes, thanks it did work when I deleted the prebuilt profile.
    I'm not sure if the tmc error shows up if I try right after rebooting. But I have not noticed the error in the last couple days.
    Hi everyone,

I have a question or a suggestion.

Battery life is an issue on the Pre (at least for some of us apparently), and I use the 125-800mhz screenstate kernel.

It helps a lot when I am idling (when the screen is off) at 125mhz.

But, I heard that CPU scaling works even better when combined with voltage scaling. (Smartflex)

Is there not a way to write a kernel where both Smartflex and CPU scaling were enabled at the same time?

What is the issue here? Is it something with the Kernel, or the CPU?

I am a bit of a linux nerd, so you can write back at a fairly advanced level and I will understand.

But it would be awesome if this was possible, for even more battery saving tricks.

Could this ever be written into the Uberkernel?

Or is it just not possible.
  18.    #1698  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have a question or a suggestion.

Battery life is an issue on the Pre (at least for some of us apparently), and I use the 125-800mhz screenstate kernel.

It helps a lot when I am idling (when the screen is off) at 125mhz.

But, I heard that CPU scaling works even better when combined with voltage scaling. (Smartflex)

Is there not a way to write a kernel where both Smartflex and CPU scaling were enabled at the same time?

What is the issue here? Is it something with the Kernel, or the CPU?

I am a bit of a linux nerd, so you can write back at a fairly advanced level and I will understand.

But it would be awesome if this was possible, for even more battery saving tricks.

Could this ever be written into the Uberkernel?

Or is it just not possible.
    SmartReflex was never stable enough to be considered for UberKernel.

-- Rod
    I absolutely cannot get Govnah to hold the compcache limit setting. I've searched the forums, I've read the wikis on Uberkernel and Govnah. I can't find a resolution for this. I follow the procedure of selecting the amount of cache, then clicking enable, then clicking apply. As soon as I leave that window, the setting for the profile immediately returns to 16mb, the base level. Why is this?

It might be related that with fair frequency Govnah "forgets" the name of the profile when it's active, listing it as "Unknown" on the monitoring screen even though it's still operating with the same parameters of the profile I selected.

Profile:
    screenstate
    min 250 MHz
    max 720 MHz
    cache true
    cache limit 16 MB (want it to be 64 MB, won't keep it)
    Last edited by OrlandoAlex; 09/06/2010 at 07:56 PM.
    My mobile biography: Nokia 5181i & 3589i -- Motorola v60i & A630 -- Palm Treo 650, Centro, Pre Plus, MyTouch 4G Slide, Pre 2, Pre 3, Nokia Lumia 521, Veer
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    So I have seen the random battery drops from around 20% to 0% as others have mentioned. I have done some testing over the last week and believe it to be related to running the Phone Over Clocked. I am using the most recent stable release of UberKernal. When using screenstate governor at 500-800Mhz and 16MB Compcache I was able to get this occur frequently. With the same Kernal and the default Palm Clocks I never saw this issue running it for an entire week. Could the OC of the CPU cause incorrect battery percentage numbers? When it is at 20% could it really be lower than that? How can I assist with providing additional details?