Page 84 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3474798081828384858687888994134 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 2889
Like Tree17Likes
    I've been running my Pre for a while noe with ScreEnstate 125/800 with compressed swap 16 MB And the temperature limits set to 5 lower than default. Works fine. I don't relly see a difference in battery life so far. Sometimes the locked screen doesn't react quickly. But I've had that issue with the stock kernel too at times.
    Now I switched to 125/1000 And I'm suprised how much faster it is. It's like having a new phone. The apps load so fast it's not even funny. Especially browser, camera, fotos, music and games. I hope it won't eat too much into my battery or wear out the phone. Well as long as this Pre lasts two or three years I'm happy.
    Why is the lower frequency on screenstate set to 500 MHz per default and not 125? Are there any common issues with it?
  3.    #1663  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Why in the world did you try and remove it that way??? You're kinda lucky your phone even booted after that.
    Lucky that my kernel packaging scripts do things in the utmost safe ways that can even handle cases like this

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  4.    #1664  
    Quote Originally Posted by mahirrr View Post
    I read that the specification of the processor says, the highest frequens the processor can take is reached with 800 Mhz. Nothing official, but from a really serious user from another forum.
    That is not the case. That other user cannot be "really serious" if that user is stating that as a fact.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  5.    #1665  
    Quote Originally Posted by jokkel View Post
    I hope it won't eat too much into my battery or wear out the phone. Well as long as this Pre lasts two or three years I'm happy.
    You should be aware that the manufacturer's guaranteed lifetime for the OMAP3430 processor is 100000 hours at 500MHz, and it gets reduced to 44000 hours when you clock the device constantly at 600MHz. You can expect the lifetime to be reduced even further when going to 800MHz and 1GHz.

Of course, the Mars rovers were only guaranteed for 90 days ...

-- Rod
    I installed everything last night and I am running it at 500/1000 currently but I really don't notice any difference in speed. I noticed I don't have compcache enabled so I've tried going into the settings and putting 16mb, 24mb, 32mb n etc and apply settings but I never seems to kick in, its always stays at 0.
    What is DeltaDagger(palmpre/pre+)... do I install or no?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    What is DeltaDagger(palmpre/pre+)... do I install or no?
    Didn't the description describe it?
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Didn't the description describe it?
    ...i don't know how ya'll stay sane with some of the posts around here...at least it wasn't a new thread...

@sinister: Application:PsychoKernel - WebOS Internals "F102A Delta Dagger: A lean and fast kernel with no frills. 800MHz. Currently serving active duty in the Stable Feed.
    * Westwood TCP Congestion algorithm.
    * Memory tweaks in kernel (no more TMC errors)
    * Initial Compcache 0.5.4 built in and activated.
    * CPU temp patches added
    * Only with Screenstate governor. Scales from 500MHz"
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Quote Originally Posted by ice8lue View Post
    Well, but I can say the same... I had my Pre clocked to 1GHz for some time now and it's notably faster in Games, but the overall feel is not THAT faster... mayber not every pre is capable of clocking up to 1GHz?
    Sorry, forgot to state I have Pre+
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    Quote Originally Posted by ShenDuHBK View Post
    I installed everything last night and I am running it at 500/1000 currently but I really don't notice any difference in speed. I noticed I don't have compcache enabled so I've tried going into the settings and putting 16mb, 24mb, 32mb n etc and apply settings but I never seems to kick in, its always stays at 0.
    I suppose it's kinda like other computers, even if the CPU is running faster doesn't mean the other stuff is, and I wonder which programs are designed to (or able to) take advantage of the new speed? I would imagine 99% of applications are written for the 500MHz speed. (Case in point: consider how many people are using UK compared to the total number of Pre owners). I don't care so much about the processor itself going faster as I am the datapump, and that's a carrier problem (I see 1X all the time). Integrated means the graphics and ram is faster, so IDK. I think some things do load and seem to execute faster, but then when the system just stays frozen for 5 seconds, it kinda negates all that for me. I still get my battery dropping to 0% when it gets below 25%, so I may go back to the old stock kernel. I also admit that perhaps I am not a "power" user. I just want all the amenities my old Centro had, even that much and no more would be amazing!. I also am sure that all the patches I have installed would make my phone CRAWL if it wasn't accelerated.
    To their credit, I think the folks working on this are doing an incredible job though, and for those super techies who have something they wanna feel proud about, they have earned it.
  12.    #1672  
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    I suppose it's kinda like other computers, even if the CPU is running faster doesn't mean the other stuff is, and I wonder which programs are designed to (or able to) take advantage of the new speed? I would imagine 99% of applications are written for the 500MHz speed. (Case in point: consider how many people are using UK compared to the total number of Pre owners). I don't care so much about the processor itself going faster as I am the datapump, and that's a carrier problem (I see 1X all the time). Integrated means the graphics and ram is faster, so IDK. I think some things do load and seem to execute faster, but then when the system just stays frozen for 5 seconds, it kinda negates all that for me. I still get my battery dropping to 0% when it gets below 25%, so I may go back to the old stock kernel. I also admit that perhaps I am not a "power" user. I just want all the amenities my old Centro had, even that much and no more would be amazing!. I also am sure that all the patches I have installed would make my phone CRAWL if it wasn't accelerated.
    The things you are describing are not the subject of widespread reports, so you must consider the possibility that your device's hardware simply does not have the headroom to run above stock frequencies. Statistics say that there must be a percentage of devices for which this is true.

BTW, patches in general do not affect performance at all, unless they are doing things periodically instead of in response to direct user actions.

-- Rod
    after running @ 800mhz for the past some weeks and at 1ghz for the last days with stable uberkernel i finally decided to revert back to stock kernel today

i've had my pre shut down usually @ 20% at 800mhz and the problem even got worse at 1ghz over the last days - today my pre died at ~40%

The things you are describing are not the subject of widespread reports, so you must consider the possibility that your device's hardware simply does not have the headroom to run above stock frequencies. Statistics say that there must be a percentage of devices for which this is true.
    i guess this simply has to be true for my pre - everything went back to normal now on stock kernel - sadly, my pre is so SLOW now its almost unbearable ;/

i will try doctoring my pre next week in order to try out uberkernel without any other patches (even though i dont have many)
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Hello, I didn't read every single post in this thread, but I did do a search on "GPS" and didn't find anything conclusive..

Has anyone had their GPS get really inaccurate (by at least a mile?) after upgrading to Uber-Kernel?

Yesterday I was using Sprint Navigation and the software could not get a satellite (I checked Auto-Locate, both GPS and Google are selected).. I had my girlfriend, sitting next to me in the car, try her phone.. Her GPS was perfectly accurate (or as accurate as can be expected) in giving us directions.

Are there any known issues with UK throwing off the reliability of the GPS?

TIA!
  15.    #1675  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrok View Post
    Hello, I didn't read every single post in this thread, but I did do a search on "GPS" and didn't find anything conclusive..

Has anyone had their GPS get really inaccurate (by at least a mile?) after upgrading to Uber-Kernel?

Yesterday I was using Sprint Navigation and the software could not get a satellite (I checked Auto-Locate, both GPS and Google are selected).. I had my girlfriend, sitting next to me in the car, try her phone.. Her GPS was perfectly accurate (or as accurate as can be expected) in giving us directions.

Are there any known issues with UK throwing off the reliability of the GPS?

TIA!
    Changing the operating frequency of your device can indeed affect it's reception due to interference if your device has imperfect shielding.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Thanks Rod.. I'll play around with frequencies and see if there's a happy medium.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Have been running UK for several weeks now at 500/800... very nice. Am now on 1.4.5 and 1G UK and Govnah and though I tried 1k briefly have stuck with 500/800.

Over last week, have had Pre shutdown completely about once every day or two. Suspected related to overclocking but hadn't had time to check into it. Noticed here references to shutdown at 20%. After showdown that occurred a little while ago I noticed battery (running the stock one) at 18% so plausible that it shutdown when it hit 20%.

After shutdown though battery is not dead, I just have to restart the phone. Have noticed some cases of the phone dropping from 10% or so to 0% way too fast but with usage, not sitting idle.

Based on comments in this thread, switching to fixed 800 for awhile to see how that goes. Definitely notice the mA dropping much lower when screen is off.

Any other thoughts on shutdowns?
    There are 8760 hours per year. I think that leaves some room for overclocking.
    Quote Originally Posted by ice8lue View Post
    Ok so this will be long^^

WebOS 1.4.5 (german)

Kernel: Uber1G (1.4.5-92)

Govnah: 0.6.7 (ScreenState: 600/250)

<...snip...>

I'm using the stock battery
    This is what I found... The GUI is incorrectly reporting on battery percentage, nothing new. I know they use some algorithm to make it seem like you have more battery at certain times than you do but the ratio was pretty big.

For example the UI said 100% but the kernel said 93%... then went down to 90% and the UI didnt move from 100%.

Since the kernel is the holder of the battery monitoring line I trust what it says. The Palm stock kernel does the same thing in my testing,

So if the UI is trying to do some silly over-calculation of battery left while you are running at a high speed - even tho there isnt that much battery left, I would assume a hardware assisted shutdown will be coming. I do remember the Pre wont turn on unless it has something like 15% battery. Also keep in mind running at higher speeds kills battery quicker... esp if its already low .
    Live free or DIE!
    could i ask for clarification on this. the wiki implies two different things:
    1. As of version 1.4.x-87 of UberKernel, once the CPU temperature hits 55C, it will automatically clock itself down to 500MHz in order to cool itself. Once the temperature drops to 50C, it will resume running at whatever speed you've set it at.
    2. The kernel is set up to run at 500 while charging.

on the TS in my car (where overheating has been a problem) i've noticed that the CPU is not set to 500, and goes above 500 often. #1 implies MHz limited only when at temp limits, while #2 implies MHz always limited.
    which is correct?