Page 8 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858108 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB View Post
    I had 800MHz Custom Kernel installed earlier. I uninstalled it and checked the current scaling freqn and it showed 500Mhz.

I installed the Uber-Kernel which was successfully installed. I am able to use it fine, with multiple different settings from govnah.

However, when I was checking list of installed packages, it still show 800MHz custom kernel as installed both in Preware and WOSQI.
    I tried to uninstall it, but it gives out an error.

Since Uber-Kenel installed successfully, I believe, my Pre had stock kernel tho' Preware/WOSQI reports 800MHz kernel as installed.

Is there a way I can remove it from the list/uninstall it without doctoring?

Thanks.
    I had the exact same problem (see post 67 in this thread).

I was unsuccessful trying to remove it. The file wasn't being used (terminal showed me at 500mhz) but that file kept showing up in WOSQI.

Long story short the only way to remove it is to doctor. I didn't want to Doctor my phone but I bit the bullet and did it, and it was worth it. This is so much nicer than the other kernel that is floating around. Rod and the others working on this one really hit a home run. Now with the newer update you can change settings on the fly and have monitoring of the temp as well. VERY glad to be using this software.

Restoring my phone wasn't that bad... the save/restore app did a great job at replacing a lot of my saved data, along with adding my patches and homebrew apps back. I did run into 1 small hicup with save/restore hanging but that was due to having a custom carrier string it was trying to restore but since it isn't in Preware it couldn't finish it

Oh, and I'm using the userspace governor with min at 250mhz, max freq 800mhz and setspeed 800mhz and my Pre is running great.

My battery is even running at less than 2%/hr at idle with push email
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amateurhack View Post
    running the "performance" setting but set the max scaling to 600mhz for several minutes now, and I see no appreciable difference in the cpu temps versus 500mhz normal setting, but still see appriciable improvements to u.i. performance.
    I tried this as well and liked it.
  3.    #143  
    Quote Originally Posted by amateurhack View Post
    is automatic downscaling based on temp enabled? I ran the 0.1.1 version all day and saw CPU temps between 25* and 38*. Upgraded to 0.1.3 after I saw the tweet and ran for a few minutes with the "perfomance" setting and cpu @800mhz and saw the cpu temp spike to 42*. Then the cpu went to 125mhz for a while even though the minimum was set to 500mhz. I don't have any other kernel or cpu scaling patches on my phone.

I am also unable to get the pinch to zoom timescaling to work. Never mind. I figured out that I was trying to work it in the opposite direction. sorry!
    There is no automatic descaling of frequency versus temperature yet.

The way to determine a safe temperature for your device is to put it at stock frequencies, and then run a number of intensive jobs at once (e.g. installing a large app catalogue app, using hotspot, running a 3D game, checking email, etc, all at the same time).

-- Rod
    i found any setting with 800 as the scaling_max_freq caused the cpu to heat up too much for my comfort level (49 C). 125 caused some crashes. 250 was fine,but I couldn't handle the initial lagginess (though,i guess we can fix that with other settings). My current set-up is scaling_min_freq set to 500 and max to 720 with the up threshold at 50. Stability so far has been good. Cpu temp has stayed lowish (42 C). Speed is way better than stock. Battery life hasn't taken a significant hit.

someone made a comment about the cpu speed as a minor contributor to battery life, and I'm inclined to agree. The cdma radio use seems to play a much bigger role for me.
    Palm Pre addict since 06.06.09.
  5.    #145  
    Rod and the others working on this one really hit a home run. Now with the newer update you can change settings on the fly and have monitoring of the temp as well. VERY glad to be using this software.
    Thanks for your kind words. We have worked hard to make the Uber-Kernel (and just as importantly, the recovery Palm Kernel package) safe and convenient according to the 7 principles we outlined when we started the kernel design and packaging effort.

It's great to see people freely experimenting with the scaling parameters and reporting their results in an open collaborative process.

This is the 'homebrewing' part of homebrew - providing a safe and informative environment for people to try out different things till they find the settings that "taste just right" to them.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/25/2010 at 03:22 AM.
    Just finished installing the Uber Kernel along with Govnah. Quick question regarding the CPUscaler app. Will the Govnah settings override the CPUscaler settings? (should the CPUscaler just be turned off or removed?
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I have a question, I'm running the kernal and whenever I try ondemand with any app other than the cpu scaler app it freezes requiring a battery pull, and with the cpu scaler app setting it anything below 500mhz and it freezes as soon as you plug it in or turn off the screen. Using any governor with the govnah app results in the device freezing and having to pull the battery, is it something with my pre that will not let me scale? Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks for any help you can give, I'd like to be able to get full use out of the hard work you guys are putting in and I'm hoping i don't have a junk pre and there are some settings I can tweak to make this work
  8.    #148  
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    Just finished installing the Uber Kernel along with Govnah. Quick question regarding the CPUscaler app. Will the Govnah settings override the CPUscaler settings? (should the CPUscaler just be turned off or removed?
    Since they both read and write from the same kernel cpufreq /sys parameter files, they will both override each other. There is no danger in running both with the Uber-Kernel, but you may or may not get unexpected results.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Since they both read and write from the same kernel cpufreq /sys parameter files, they will both override each other. There is no danger in running both with the Uber-Kernel, but you may or may not get unexpected results.

-- Rod
    Thank you

I've noticed with the Govnah app running as a background active card that the graphing update will cause the system to stutter a bit....this is particularly noticeable with the helicopter app game, or any app that has a list that you need to scroll through. Setting the cpufreq and then flicking the card closed removes the stuttering behaviour.
  10.    #150  
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    Thank you

I've noticed with the Govnah app running as a background active card that the graphing update will cause the system to stutter a bit....this is particularly noticeable with the helicopter app game, or any app that has a list that you need to scroll through. Setting the cpufreq and then flicking the card closed removes the stuttering behaviour.
    At this stage of development (alpha testing of the Uber-Kernel) that is to be expected - Govnah is explicitly designed to give the maximum amount of monitoring in a very visible manner even when minimised at the moment, so you can see what is happening when other apps are active.

In the future, the logging will happen invisibly by the service with no impact on other apps.

-- Rod
  11.    #151  
    Govnah 0.2.2 (yes, the screenshot is from 1.5.0, but it was good enough to bump it to 0.2.x , and the typo in "Time in State" is fixed)

In the next major version, clicking on each of the graph rows will open up a new graph details screen.

Note that all of this graphical goodness is the work of Oil (Brandon) - I do the kernel stuff and the org.webosinternals.govnah service which passes up the raw numbers on which he works his magic.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Great work guys, just switched from the old 720 sh kernel to this one, govnah is great, especially with thos rapid releases you guys are doing.

now to find some good settings for up and downscale conservative min 250, max 720 with 70% up and 30% down, sampling rate 500000 seems to be working fine for me, but will test other settings
    Thanks for your kind words. We have worked hard to make the Uber-Kernel (and just as importantly, the recovery Palm Kernel package) safe and convenient according to the 7 principles we outlined when we started the kernel design and packaging effort.

It's great to see people freely experimenting with the scaling parameters and reporting their results in an open collaborative process.

This is the 'homebrewing' part of homebrew - providing a safe and informative environment for people to try out different things till they find the settings that "taste just right" to them.

-- Rod
    That is why I went through the trouble of having to doctor my phone and reinstall all my apps.. I want to have fun with my phone and do what I want with it, but at the same time keeping it safe and the 'other' way for me was too unstable and didn't cleanly remove from my Pre - and when you mentioned that there were indeed changes made to the kernel by Palm that was enough for me to know it was getting too dangerous.

Govnah 0.2.2 (yes, the screenshot is from 1.5.0, but it was good enough to bump it to 0.2.x , and the typo in "Time in State" is fixed)

In the next major version, clicking on each of the graph rows will open up a new graph details screen.

Note that all of this graphical goodness is the work of Oil (Brandon) - I do the kernel stuff and the org.webosinternals.govnah service which passes up the raw numbers on which he works his magic.

-- Rod
    You are on a roll with these updates this weekend!! Govnah is *really* starting to come together!!
    Orange+Tap requires the Uber-Kernel was installed using Preware Alpha or WOSQI 3.1 or palm-install. Once Preware Alpha becomes Preware 1.0, that will work too.

At the moment, the guaranteed way to remove Uber-Kernel is to uninstall it with Preware (or Preware Alpha) or WOSQI. Orange+Tap support for removing advanced homebrew packages is a recent addition, and at the moment is only in Preware Alpha, not in Preware Classic.

At any time, installing the Palm Kernel will restore all the files that Uber-Kernel modifies to a factory pristine condition.

BTW, please report issues with Uber-Kernel in the existing Uber-Kernel alpha testing thread, rather than creating a new thread. I only saw this thread by chance because someone else pointed it out.

-- Rod
    I installed this with Preware Alpha. Uninstall with Orange+tap did not work. Uninstall with Preware Alpha did.
    I've noticed since the Govnah 1.0 release that any variable scaling at all causes my pre to run much hotter.

I switched back to fixed 800MHz and no more heat issues and longer battery life.

Awesome work Rod, Oil and others. Keep this up and I will have to add you to my monthly auto bill pay for regular donations.

I have been running uber kernel for a few days now with no problems but will likely Dr. today just to get everything to a clean state again and just use Govnah and Uber Kernel. (used to have a version of superkernel and cpu scaler ultimate and am not sure if everything is cleaned up properly).
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I have been running uber kernel for a few days now with no problems but will likely Dr. today just to get everything to a clean state again and just use Govnah and Uber Kernel. (used to have a version of superkernel and cpu scaler ultimate and am not sure if everything is cleaned up properly).
    You may have to dr. your phone. I used the .sh file from that overclock patch with no issues of removing it, but the super kernel app left a file on my phone that just wouldn't delete even though it wasn't running it anymore. No matter what I did I just couldn't get the file to delete. I doctored my phone just because that stray file made me nervous but YMMV.

Once I get some free cash I will be throwing a donation towards Rod for this excellent work!
    You must use a kernel with the internal CPU temperature sensor code included. We have published the patch for the 1.4.1 kernel source code, so anyone building a 1.4.1 kernel can easily add that patch to enable the omap34xx_temp sensor.

The Uber-Kernel in the WebOS Internals testing feed includes the sensor. Note that it defaults to factory speeds, but can of course go up to 800MHz like every other kernel, cause it uses the same overclocking patch back-ported from the omap3440 mailing list by Marco (unixPsycho) over two months ago.

I believe that the CPUScalerUltimate app can also be used to control the uber-kernel, but it does not yet read the internal CPU temperature sensor.

-- Rod
    Where can I found the address of the feed as i can't find Uber-Kernel or Govnah in Preware ?
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cecemf View Post
    Where can I found the address of the feed as i can't find Uber-Kernel or Govnah in Preware ?
    Thanks
    Read the first post?
    Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

section 3.2.1 will let you add the testing feeds
    Palm Pre addict since 06.06.09.
  20.    #160  
    Quote Originally Posted by todivefor View Post
    I installed this with Preware Alpha. Uninstall with Orange+tap did not work. Uninstall with Preware Alpha did.
    Ok, we need to track down the root cause of this then.

Did you do a device reset after the orange+tap? The kernel run in memory, so will still keep running up until the next device reset, even if the kernel files themselves have been restored to virgin state.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals