Page 76 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2666717273747576777879808186126 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 2889
Like Tree17Likes
    i had one issue with a patch: Bookmark Button in Browser.

wont update or remove.

everything else is just fine =]. UK & Gov FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    I had a nearly Flawless update today. Thanks to WebOS Internals!!! (Another round of Fiscal Thank$ on the way at the end of the week)

One lesson I thought I'd share was that I had created my ALPHA Kernels Testing feed in Preware as: .../feeds/webos-kernels/testing/1.4.1.1/

I don't know if that's how I should have done it, or if I should have stopped at /testing/ and let Preware choose the sub-feed directory based on WebOS version....

Anyway, a quick edit of the feed file from 1.4.1.1 to 1.4.5 fixed things so I could get the glorious 1Gz action back. I realize this will leave me in the same boat next time, but I'll play with that later to see if /testing/ is sufficient. Alternatively, I could have deleted the 1.4.1.1 kernels testing feed and added 1.4.5 as a new feed.

Just FYI in case any of you are wondering where your ALPHA Uber-Kernel went.
    This didn't work for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by magistus View Post
    This didn't work for me.

That's quite informative.

Did you do the step that's supposed to be done before the step before it? I assume that after that step you did this step prior to doing the step after it?

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by magistus View Post
    This didn't work for me.
    Since I wasn't actually providing instructions, I'm not sure what didn't work for you... (as Xanadu points out....) However, I'll be patient today and do a good deed...

To be honest, the easiest thing to do is delete your old Kernels Testing Feed (swipe it away in the Feeds scene in Preware) and add a new one back with the proper directory... I'm just lazy and make too many typos, so I edited my existing file.

If you add a new Custom Feed following the instructions here...

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Testing_Feeds

you should be all set.

If that doesn't work, please post exactly what you did and I'll be glad to try and help.
    Last edited by greenawayj; 08/11/2010 at 05:27 PM.
  5.    #1505  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Since I wasn't actually providing instructions, I'm not sure what didn't work for you... (as Xanadu points out....) However, I'll be patient today and do a good deed...

To be honest, the easiest thing to do is delete your old Kernels Testing Feed (swipe it away in the Feeds scene in Preware) and add a new one back with the proper directory... I'm just lazy and make too many typos, so I edited my existing file.

If you add a new Custom Feed using (without quotes)

"http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-kernels/testing/1.4.5"

you should be all set ---AFTER you Update Feeds.

If that doesn't work, please post exactly what you did and I'll be glad to try and help.
    Please always just point people to this page ( http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Testing_Feeds ) for information about adding testing feeds.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Hadn't noticed the preware.is.awesome.com instructions before... sorry for contributing to the misinformation. I'll edit accordingly.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by art_sjc View Post
    I was browsing this thread tonight because I'm just now trying Uber-kernel for the first time, and wanted to mention that I've had my completely bone stock Sprint Pre (developer mode never even enabled) randomly turn itself off at all battery levels with webOS 1.4.1, so this behavior by itself is nothing new. Now, this is extremely rare (only happened 2 or 3 times in the past several months) but it usually happened when some application was locking up or becoming very unresponsive.
    Maybe, it's a problem for some stock Pres, too. I have now disabled CompCache to further test, because I think not many are using CompCache.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    same, rare, unintentional reboots happened on my Pre also. I too usually experienced a slow app prior to the reboot. It behaves like a memory allocation bug.
    If the sudden slowness can be narrowed down to a specific app you should contact the developer as they may have a memory leak in the app. One of the most common memory leaks is from web pages but not all web pages. Due to the limit of RAM in most smartphones including the pre and pixi (plus versions may not be as prone) web pages leaking memory are much more noticeable vs a PC, laptop, or netbook. It is a good idea to regularly reboot to reduce problems caused by memory leaks and more generally because just like PCs the longer the uptime the more boggy things can get just from continued use.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    FYI: I was reading through the testing feed instructions on the Wiki and found this line: Put http://preware.is.awesome.com/ in the URL field.
    I was working on my wife's Pre, so I tried it. I got constant error messages.
    I thought that this might be a way to not have to update the feed info after WebOS updates, so it was worth a shot.
    Alas, I ended up having to delete that feed and entering in the full feed URL, which worked perfectly.
    Just thought you should know.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
  11.    #1511  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    FYI: I was reading through the testing feed instructions on the Wiki and found this line: Put [url] in the URL field.
    I was working on my wife's Pre, so I tried it. I got constant error messages.
    I thought that this might be a way to not have to update the feed info after WebOS updates, so it was worth a shot.
    Alas, I ended up having to delete that feed and entering in the full feed URL, which worked perfectly.
    Just thought you should know.
    Read the whole of the instructions. The URL you put is irrelevant. If you put the correct feed name, and reboot the device as instructed, Preware automatically inserts the correct URL, and automatically updates it whenever the webOS version changes.

htto://preware.is.awesome.com is a joke, not a real URL ...

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I unistalled the kernel after thinking I had installed wrong and now when I go to reinstall I get the following error log:

download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    97 3440k 97 3349k 0 0 37402 0 0:01:34 0:01:31 0:00:03 53826
    100 3440k 100 3440k 0 0 38101 0 0:01:32 0:01:32 --:--:-- 69888
    identify
    org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre
    install
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"returnValue":true , "ticket":2, "subscribed":true}
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"STARTING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"SUCCESS" }
    mkdir-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    install-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.postinst 2>&1
    Kernel confirmed to be compatible with this webOS version
    Verifying no existing modifications to target files ...
    Verification failed on /boot/System.map-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /boot/config-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /boot/uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/arch/arm/oprofile/oprofile.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/crypto/ecb.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/crypto/pcbc.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/block/nbd.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/net/ifb.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_wait_scan.ko
    Device kernel is not in factory condition, refusing to install replacement
    remove
    Removing package org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre from root...
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.prerm)
    delete
    Nothing Interesting.
    failed
    Nothing Interesting.

Any ideas as to what I can do?

Thanks
    Rick
  13.    #1513  
    Quote Originally Posted by JBK617 View Post
    I unistalled the kernel after thinking I had installed wrong and now when I go to reinstall I get the following error log:

download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    97 3440k 97 3349k 0 0 37402 0 0:01:34 0:01:31 0:00:03 53826
    100 3440k 100 3440k 0 0 38101 0 0:01:32 0:01:32 --:--:-- 69888
    identify
    org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre
    install
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"returnValue":true , "ticket":2, "subscribed":true}
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"STARTING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"SUCCESS" }
    mkdir-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    install-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.postinst 2>&1
    Kernel confirmed to be compatible with this webOS version
    Verifying no existing modifications to target files ...
    Verification failed on /boot/System.map-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /boot/config-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /boot/uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/arch/arm/oprofile/oprofile.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/crypto/ecb.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/crypto/pcbc.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/block/nbd.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/net/ifb.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_wait_scan.ko
    Device kernel is not in factory condition, refusing to install replacement
    remove
    Removing package org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre from root...
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.prerm)
    delete
    Nothing Interesting.
    failed
    Nothing Interesting.

Any ideas as to what I can do?

Thanks
    Rick
    Please report exactly how you installed that first kernel, and exactly how you uninstalled it (tools, versions of tools, precise steps please).

Then just instal the recovery kernel and start again.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Read the whole of the instructions. The URL you put is irrelevant. If you put the correct feed name, and reboot the device as instructed, Preware automatically inserts the correct URL, and automatically updates it whenever the webOS version changes.

htto://preware.is.awesome.com is a joke, not a real URL ...

-- Rod
    OK. Now I feel like I have to try again. I thought I had followed them exactly and still got the error. I'm going to give it another shot.
    Thanks.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Sprint Pre.... after OTA update to 1.4.5 OS, Uber would only allow max speed of 600mhz. I chose to uninstall/restart/reinstall/restart, and all is back to perfect.
    I do not know for sure if the uninstall/reinstall was necessary or not, but I was in a remote location and that was quicker than researching on here via the Pre browser...
    Thanks again to the awesome developers that continue to hand hold and make our devices that much closer to perfect!
    Quote Originally Posted by AOW View Post
    Sprint Pre.... after OTA update to 1.4.5 OS, Uber would only allow max speed of 600mhz. I chose to uninstall/restart/reinstall/restart, and all is back to perfect.
    I do not know for sure if the uninstall/reinstall was necessary or not, but I was in a remote location and that was quicker than researching on here via the Pre browser...
    Thanks again to the awesome developers that continue to hand hold and make our devices that much closer to perfect!
    No it wasn't necessary, you needed to update your feeds in Preware and there would have been an uberkernel update waiting for you.

Pip
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    No it wasn't necessary, you needed to update your feeds in Preware and there would have been an uberkernel update waiting for you.

Pip

For what it's worth, I had to do that also just like the others have been saying for a couple pages now. The Testing Kernel feed didn't appear until after the second rebot either. Don't know why. As dude said, it's quicker and easier to just reboot the dumb thing a second time than it is to reaserch it all...

M.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I have a quick question. I installed UberKernal today and decided that the speed boost wouldn't be worth the (small) risk of Pre-destruction. I uninstalled it via PreWare, so is the stock kernel now installed, and is it possible (if my Pre implodes) to tell that I ever used it?

P.S. Thank you for PreWare patching!
    Quote Originally Posted by anifan View Post
    I have a quick question. I installed UberKernal today and decided that the speed boost wouldn't be worth the (small) risk of Pre-destruction. I uninstalled it via PreWare, so is the stock kernel now installed, and is it possible (if my Pre implodes) to tell that I ever used it?

P.S. Thank you for PreWare patching!

If for some reason your Pre did indeed become un-bootable, melted, got crushed, etc., it then what would it matter? Wouldn't it make a bit more sense to then get everything out of it you can before then?

Besides, the kernel you installed (UberKernel from the stable feed I assume) won't hurt your phone. That's why it's in the stable feed. There's much more "progressive" (meaning "dangerous" to your phone) kernels in the alpha testing feed. Even then I've been using them since February or so with out ANY issues.

I dunno. Just my two cents.

M.
    As long as you don't fry your hardware I wouldn't be concerned if any trace is present that a custom kernel was installed. They can't void your warranty for the custom software but they can void the warranty if overclocking fry's the hardware. I've been overclocking for about 10 years and have yet to fry hardware from doing so. As long as you stay within safe parameters generally most will be fine. With the temperature limiting feature (is this in the release version?) you're even less likely to fry hardware unless you do something crazy like way over volt for like insane speeds like 4 times the stock speed.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.