Page 73 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2363686970717273747576777883123 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 2889
Like Tree17Likes
  1.    #1441  
    My current assumption (while we're all gathering more data here) is that the fuel gauge in the battery (which provides the raw data which is turned into the percentage by webOS) is somehow getting confused, or needs a number of cycles to adjust to the new peak current draws of higher voltages and frequencies.

So the plan at the moment is to not do anything about it in the kernel (cause we don't go anywhere near that stuff anyway).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  2. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    I've been running Uber 92 (as well as previous versions) at 1GHz and 800MHz, battery runs down normally. No strange behavior at 20% or 10%. I do not have the "actual battery %" patch.

My current kernel, Uber 92, was installed with Preware 1.2.6. (All my kernels have been installed using the latest version of Preware available at the time.)
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    My current assumption (while we're all gathering more data here) is that the fuel gauge in the battery (which provides the raw data which is turned into the percentage by webOS) is somehow getting confused, or needs a number of cycles to adjust to the new peak current draws of higher voltages and frequencies.

So the plan at the moment is to not do anything about it in the kernel (cause we don't go anywhere near that stuff anyway).

-- Rod
    This sounds like a reasonable hypothesis and probably a good place to start looking in the reported cases. If after maybe say 5 or 6 (or should it be more) full 100% to auto off cycles it is still happening then maybe it is something else? But if it is corrected as a result then it probably was indeed was just a calibration that needed more than one or two full cycles.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  4. Wax
    Couple questions:

I successfully installed UberKernel and Govnah tonight and I've mainly been using the Screenstate 800/500 profile to play around with. One thing I can't figure out is if Govnah needs to be left running in the background for these profiles to be active... Do you need to leave it running in the background, or is that only if you want to be able to see your current temp from the icon?

Also, I noticed the stock "Screenstate 800/500" profile that everyone tells us new guys to start with doesn't look like it includes a compcashe setting. When I click into the advanced view, it's disabled. Is it worth using this feature for users who don't play 3D games?

Lastly, what is a good "starter" setting for compcashe if I want to enable it in the future? I just got my Pre a few days ago, so I haven't had time to download any 3D games or rich multimedia apps yet, but when I do, I'd like to know what a conservative compcashe setting would be... (PS... the compcashe feature doesn't speed up or stabilize things like video rendering/recording, does it?)

Thanks!
    thank you for your reply rod
    i've been running stock kernel for a couple of days now and everything went back to normal..regular battery behavior etc

i'll now try uberkernel again and i will try to use it for a couple of days to let the battery adjust or 'calibrate'

will report back
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    It now happened 2 times for me, that my Pre suddenly was completely OFF. Either it shut itself down or it froze. I don't know, because I did not use it at that moment.

Each time, I had to press the power button long to make it boot. After the boot, it was running Uberkernel default. Normally, I run Uberkernel Screenstate 500/720, CompCache 24 MB.

Anyone else seeing this? Using Uberkernel 1.4.5-87.
    Last edited by sidamos; 08/10/2010 at 01:50 AM.
  7. Wax
    I just noticed that after installing UberKernel 1.4.5-87 and Govnah onto a stock Pre, I'm not getting the "USB Mode" and "Just Charge" options anymore when I plug it into my PC via USB... I've reset the Pre several times, but for some reason when I plug it in, nothing happens (and I can't access the Pre via the WebOS Quick Install on my PC).

The battery also seems to be draining a lot faster, and it doesn't seem to be charging...The charging indicator shows a voltage icon, but I've had it connected for almost at hour now, and it's drained from about 60 to 40 percent (while plugged into my PC).

Anyone know if this is a common problem with UberKernel?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wax View Post
    I just noticed that after installing UberKernel 1.4.5-87 and Govnah onto a stock Pre, I'm not getting the "USB Mode" and "Just Charge" options anymore when I plug it into my PC via USB... I've reset the Pre several times, but for some reason when I plug it in, nothing happens (and I can't access the Pre via the WebOS Quick Install on my PC).

The battery also seems to be draining a lot faster, and it doesn't seem to be charging...The charging indicator shows a voltage icon, but I've had it connected for almost at hour now, and it's drained from about 60 to 40 percent (while plugged into my PC).

Anyone know if this is a common problem with UberKernel?

Thanks
    Have you enabled USB passthrough for anything anf forgot to disable it? Your symptons are more in line with that.

Pip
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Couple questions:

I successfully installed UberKernel and Govnah tonight and I've mainly been using the Screenstate 800/500 profile to play around with. One thing I can't figure out is if Govnah needs to be left running in the background for these profiles to be active... Do you need to leave it running in the background, or is that only if you want to be able to see your current temp from the icon?

Thanks!
    Don't leave Govnah running in the background. It'll slow things down.
    Just set your settings and quit. You won't need to check your temps that often. When you do, just open Govnah again
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
    It now happened 2 times for me, that my Pre suddenly was completely OFF. Either it shut itself down or it froze. I don't know, because I did not use it at that moment.

Each time, I had to press the power button long to make it boot. After the boot, it was running Uberkernel default. Normally, I run Uberkernel Screenstate 500/720, CompCache 24 MB.

Anyone else seeing this? Using Uberkernel 1.4.5-87.
    I experience this same behavior with the F105 kernel. I accept it as normal behavior for hardware that is not meant to be overclocked, and it happens seldom enough that it's an acceptable consequence given the improved speed at which the phone runs. thorne
    I actually had the complete shut down in my pocket with 1.4.1xx but so far since upgrading to 1.4.5xx i have had nothing but smoothness. I also used to have the battery issue. but that was way back and when 1.4.1.1 came out everything has been ok. I have had a few replacements since and none of them have any issues with or without UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    This sounds like a reasonable hypothesis and probably a good place to start looking in the reported cases. If after maybe say 5 or 6 (or should it be more) full 100% to auto off cycles it is still happening then maybe it is something else? But if it is corrected as a result then it probably was indeed was just a calibration that needed more than one or two full cycles.

I 100% agree with both you and Rod with one exception:

This has been going on for (running on) a few weeks now.

My Pre has been playing Nuke the Battery nearly every day (3 or 4 times a week). I've been down this road.

I've got the folks Over here in the battery thread putting some brain power on this too.

M.
    Do you need to leave it running in the background, or is that only if you want to be able to see your current temp from the icon?
    There really is no point to doing so. Simply open it when you want to see the current state of the stuff that is graphed and then close it when you go back to working with other apps. Or at most leave it open for short periods of time. Even at the slowest poll interval you may not be content with the extra battery consumption. It's not much but not insignficant so if you use your device a lot it will impact how much the charge lasts over the course of a day.

compcashe setting. Is it worth using this feature for users who don't play 3D games?
    If you want to be able to open many apps all at once or several bigger and some yes it is worth it. If you get too many cards error with uber kernel installed more than desired that would be a good indicator you may want to try it. Or give it a shot anyways I see no negative reason to say don't.

Lastly, what is a good "starter" setting for compcashe if I want to enable it in the future?(PS... the compcashe feature doesn't speed up or stabilize things like video rendering/recording, does it?)
    16, 24, or 32MB should be fine. Keep in mind the larger the size the more RAM is reserved for it and unless you want to load an insane number of apps all at the same time or have a pre plus it would be silly to go too large as it would probably cause a minor hit to performance for lighter use.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I've got the folks Over here in the battery thread putting some brain power on this too.

M.
    Well hopefully it gets figured out. The more people working on it and the more incidents to work with the more likely it can be figured out assuming it isn't my initial thoughts of either bad battery or hardware failure.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Oh I forgot to add with the temperature limiting feature you can set whatever the max temperature you are comfortable with the CPU hitting so monitoring the temperature is mostly a moot point since the main reason for monitoring it would be to avoid too high.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    I experience this same behavior with the F105 kernel. I accept it as normal behavior for hardware that is not meant to be overclocked, and it happens seldom enough that it's an acceptable consequence given the improved speed at which the phone runs. thorne
    The strange thing is, that these freezes happened when the screen was off, so the Pre was running at 500 MHz.
    do I need to uninstall uberkernel/govnah before the next update?
    Just a quick question about the behavior of UberKernal wit the Govnah. I have read the documentation and been running it forever now, and can't see where a change has been made.

When I reboot the kernal used to default back to the UserSpace 500MHz clock setting as per the principles as a fail safe if overclocking caused the problem. Now when I reboot (and I mean a full reboot, not just a luna restart) when I open up the Govnah it still shows I have the ScreenState overclock running.

Is this normal, I thought it was supposed to default back to 500MHz?

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    do I need to uninstall uberkernel/govnah before the next update?
    No it's not necessary to uninstall, the UberKernel has AUPT just like most patches. You can check for updates regarding this here: WebOS Internals (webosinternals) on Twitter
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  19. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Just a quick question about the behavior of UberKernal wit the Govnah. I have read the documentation and been running it forever now, and can't see where a change has been made.

When I reboot the kernal used to default back to the UserSpace 500MHz clock setting as per the principles as a fail safe if overclocking caused the problem. Now when I reboot (and I mean a full reboot, not just a luna restart) when I open up the Govnah it still shows I have the ScreenState overclock running.

Is this normal, I thought it was supposed to default back to 500MHz?
    Govnah settings now stick on a reboot (full or luna) if initiated intentionally. A crash reboot will revert to default settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    No it's not necessary to uninstall, the UberKernel has AUPT just like most patches. You can check for updates regarding this here: [url= Internals (webosinternals) on Twitter[/url]
    thanks