Page 72 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2262676869707172737475767782122 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 2889
Like Tree17Likes
    Back to Uberkernel. Running pretty smooth on my pre. Actually, all the kernals run awesome on my phone. Nice work " Rod"
    What do you experience when you now uninstall UberKernel and run the battery down?

-- Rod
    Ive uninstalled uberkernel 1.4.5-87 yesterday, charged my german pre to 100% and artificially burned the battery down to 20% by watching videos etc.

i got the 20% warning and everything went down the usual way - the battery died happily at 0% like 5 hours later - so everything is now back to normal

so, apparently in my case, the battery dying at 20% (or sometimes even 30%) has got something to do with uberkernel 1.4.5.-87

if you need any further infos i'll be happily trying to provide them - tbh: running the pre @ 800mhz is feeling SO much better than the stock speed so i would love to switch again soon

i was using screenstate 500/800 with compcache enabled (16mb) - no fancy manual options
    Last edited by funoxeyh; 08/06/2010 at 10:48 AM.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    This is strange...
    I also own a german pre, running the UberKernel 1.4.5-87.
    Last night, when i put my pre on the TS, the battery was down at 7% (so it didn't die at 20%).
    I was using Screenstate 500/600...

What I would like to know, are there any reports about the behavior at 1GHz?
    I'd love to test it but I'm a little scared coz overclocking the poor ARM CPU to 200% of it's normal clock rate is something...felling bad^^
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I noticed Xanadu73 is using 2 batteries, and the problem occured for me after a battery swap, but hasn't occured since then when I charged up and didn't swap. Could this just be a problem of the Pre mis-calculating capacity/charge with two different batteries? And maybe its just more noticeable now that we're burning them faster and swapping more with 1GHz.

Check out this post and follow-ups.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Ok have to correct my post from above,
    I just had the same effect. Battery was at about 23% and jumps immediately to 0%, but it really seems to be empty then (had to charge it about 15min before i was able to boot it up again).

I'm running 1.4.5-92 at ScreenState 500/600 (was testing 250/1GHz for about 6 hours in between)
    Last edited by ice8lue; 08/06/2010 at 01:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    I noticed Xanadu73 is using 2 batteries, and the problem occured for me after a battery swap

Although I see your point, I have to say that my GF's Pre has been doing the same thing the past 2-3 weeks as well and she *only* has the Palm Stock battery and no other battery has ever been in it. I've been keeping Thunderchief installed and current on hers as well.

M.
    use this software,battery is poor
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I'll drop Thunderchief-92 down to max 800 tomorrow and see what happens (as Rod suggested).

(assuming I remember) Saturday, I'll run Palm Stock Kernel. Sunday I'll run UberKernel at 800Mhz.

I ran at 800MHz today. My phone just died at 18%. It's charging right now just so I can turn it on. It's not a GHz thing.

I'll run Palm Stock tomorrow and see what happens.

M.
    Recently I posted that after updating the Uberkernel to the latest version that I observed increased battery consumption, I also stated that I updated my PRL setting that day too. I ran a battery test overnight with my Pre at idle and observed that my battery consumption had doubled while my Pre was at idle. Last night I ran another battery test and my Pre's battery consumption is back to normal. Don't know what caused this issue but I am happy to report that in my case it definitely was not the latest version of the Uberkernel.

I ran the stock Palm Kernel overnight for a battery test and forgot to switch back to the Uberkernel the next day, wow, what a difference (in a bad way), thanks for all of the hard work that you guys a webOS Internals put in to make my Pre a much improved device.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hey!

I ran Palm Stock kernel today. My phone died at 20% life remaining with this kernel too. I didn't think this test all the way through, though. I used my 1350mAh battery. I'll use my Palm Stock battery tomorrow with Palm Stock kernel (it'll be dead by noon...) and report back.

So it's got to be in the OS somewhere that needs a value deleted(?). I did read that link provided above, but, that assumes a perfect world. Meaning Palm isn't trying to do their own battery estimating. Being that they are already displaying a different number than what the battery is reporting, it stands to reason that the culprit here maybe buried in the bowels of webOS somewhere.

M.
    sorry, i admit I have not thoroughly searched the forums for the answers to these questions, since the last time I updated uberkernal and govnah, there have been about 1000 additional posts and its hard to find the answer.

i am currently running uberkernal v 1.4.1-21
    and govnah v 0.3.0

on a verizon pre plus running 1.4.1.1

no problems whatsoever.

however, I know there have been updates in both UK and govnah.

are there any advantages to updating to the latest versions, and if so, what are they?

any problems if I stick with my current versions?

a quick summary would be greatly appreciated!

thanks for everything you have done, webOSinternals and JR are the saviours for palm!
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Is there a known issue with video recording and 720 MHz?

I am running Uberkernel 1.4.5-87, Screenstate 500/720, CC 24 MB.

I recorded 3 video clips and 2 of them are corrupted. 1 has lots of artifacts and slow motion, 2 report wrong length in the Pre video player and lose audio at the reported length, when playing in mplayer on the PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    sorry, i admit I have not thoroughly searched the forums for the answers to these questions, since the last time I updated uberkernal and govnah, there have been about 1000 additional posts and its hard to find the answer.

and govnah v 0.3.0

no problems whatsoever.

are there any advantages to updating to the latest versions, and if so, what are they?

thanks for everything you have done, webOSinternals and JR are the saviours for palm!
    I suggest reading the Change logs for UK and Govnah for good overviews of what has changed. It wont take you long to realize the updating from your current releases may be worth it.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    where are the changelogs?
    I will certainly look over it.
    thanks!
    thanks!

The raw developer version is here:
    git.webos-internals.org Git - kernels/patches.git/shortlog

It won't make much sense unless you are:

• A (semi) Linux guru
    • A developer
    • A *kernel* developer

For a more Human Readable version, you can simply select the kernel in Preware and scroll down some to read the condensed Changelog.

M.

and govnah v 0.3.0

no problems whatsoever.

A quick summary is yes you want to update. The newest Uber can run much faster, scales down further, and supports compcache. Do it.
    thanks!
    Select the kernel patch in Preware. Scroll down the 1st screen. The changelog is listed there.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    All,

I did run Palm Stock Kernel, with my Palm Stock battery. Unfortunately, it died during a reboot, so I don't know exactly what percent it was at. It was in the low 20"s % before I I start the reboot, though, so it's fairly safe to assume that it died somewhere around 20%.

I was artificially plowing through the battery by really hammering on it in the morning working on getting bootchart to work, which I did: Bootchart - WebOS Internals! You can see a bootchart rendered from a boot of my Pre this morning. The page is Fugly and I'm still working on the info. I just needed to get the info out of my head before it ran away from me.

Anyway, I'm not convinced that this "die at 20%" battery issue is not related to the kernel, but I am convinced that it could be a "side effect". I am also convinced that webOS is storing SOME kind of data about what it thinks a/the battery can/should/could hold and is doing a VERY poor job of it. It's now a matter of trying to find where that is and "fix" it!

This is all food for other threads at this point, I know. Thank you for not deleting my (kinda) off topic posts.

M.
    As far as I understand the battery meter is present in the battery itself and the hardware reads the report from it and the software interfaces with that hardware to report the percent to the user with the adjustment that has a love hate relationship depending on if you want to see the real percent or compensation so you don't see the charge discharge cycle for overcharge prevention. Certainly a complicated chain to investigate where the fault is but I have always been of the impression that the dead at an unusual percent such as 20% means battery going bad or worse case hardware failure in the device. Unless it is not 100% repeatable. However I'd be interested in knowing if there are other causes. I know when I first broke in my 2600 the first charge died at 20% (wasn't calibrated in this case) subsequent charges never occurred again.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  20. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    I've been running Uber 92 (as well as previous versions) at 1GHz and 800MHz, battery runs down normally. No strange behavior at 20% or 10%. I do not have the "actual battery %" patch.