Page 7 of 145 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757107 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    A nice feature to add to Govnah application if possible...

So in addition to the graph of the CPU temperature, I think it would be really cool to have the same graph below it showing CPU scaling. It could read the scaling_min_freq and scaling_max_freq parameters, and set the vertical scale accordingly. Then use the same time scale as the temperature graph. This would provide some more info, and if possible would be pretty cool to see.

I'm not sure if it would be possible, but I would assume so since the Govnah app can already display the cpu speed and update it apparently in realtime.
    I sent a tweet suggesting that below it be something showing time_in_state. Possibly a histogram rather than a rolling graph. Short of that just taking the text from the "file" would be fine, too.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    This may be a dumb question, but how can I reset the time_in_state stat? I'm trying to verify that the settings I've chosen work for me and I'd like to get an accurate picture of time_in_state for each set of settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanicalMind View Post
    As an educated guess, this kernel has nothing to do with the bluetooth chip and the profiles support provided by Palm's software. This kernel supplies CPU control only.
    I know that, I was asking wether using obex will need kernel work or not,
    and if its needed, is there a chance that its a point on the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by cantstopengland View Post
    This may be a dumb question, but how can I reset the time_in_state stat? I'm trying to verify that the settings I've chosen work for me and I'd like to get an accurate picture of time_in_state for each set of settings.
    Easiest way I know is to reboot.
    When Preware Alpha becomes 1.0 will we be able to simply update regular Preware and have it become the new Preware Alpha 1.0 or will we need to uninstall first?
  7.    #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by slinkee8 View Post
    When Preware Alpha becomes 1.0 will we be able to simply update regular Preware and have it become the new Preware Alpha 1.0 or will we need to uninstall first?
    You will be able to simply upgrade Preware to 1.0 and it will automatically remove the obsolete Java Package Manager Service.

Fully testing that upgrade path to make sure it is seamless is really the only thing holding us back from releasing Preware 1.0 today.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    So after installing Uber-Kernel, I had some freezing and I think it's because, judging by the times in state, it's hovering around 125Mhz.

I have the script setting the min to 250MHz but it still shows more times in 125. If anyone could give me a quick explanation I would be grateful.

I'm using the Ondemand governor with the min freq at 250 and max at 800.

I don't remember it showing it in the 125 state while I was using the original 1.4.0 unixpsycho kernel.
    SDash,

It might be that your phone is retaining the stats from before you set the scaling_min_freq to 250000. I would check the time_in_state and note all the times, and then let your phone rest for 10-15 minutes, play an intensive game (i use helicopter) and then check your time_in_state again. When I did that, i noticed that the 125000 number never increased.
    Palm Pre addict since 06.06.09.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cantstopengland View Post
    SDash,

It might be that your phone is retaining the stats from before you set the scaling_min_freq to 250000. I would check the time_in_state and note all the times, and then let your phone rest for 10-15 minutes, play an intensive game (i use helicopter) and then check your time_in_state again. When I did that, i noticed that the 125000 number never increased.
    It still shows hovering around 125. I think after going to 800, it would go down to the lowest and hover there for a while and then go to the min_freq currently at 250.

I'll keep playing with it. And check other threads if there was some info.
    nice update to the govnah app.
  12.    #132  
    Govnah 0.1.3 now allows bleeding-edge alpha testers to directly modify the kernel cpufreq governor and cpufreq parameters (even governor-specific ones).

Note that we intentionally do not allow you to make the settings persistent yet. *Lots* more safety measures will need to be put in place before we do that.

This release is not intended for end-users - it is intended for those who have a knowledge of cpufreq parameters, and want to participate in the open and transparent public collaboration in finding the best governor and parameter setting for the Palm Pre.

Please use this thread to report good settings and bad settings.

You *will* be able to hang your device easily by putting in various combinations of settings. As a last resort, a Blob+Sym+R userspace reset, or a Power+3 x Mute kernel reset, or pulling the battery, will put everything back to factory default governor and frequencies (unless you have some other overclocking control application or patches installed).

As always, the temperature readings on the icons and graph allow you to keep an eye on things. We do not yet give any guidance on safe limits - as this is not yet a release for end-users we expect those people using Uber-Kernel at this time to know what they are doing.

We have noted quite large discrepancies between the internal CPU temperature sensor and the external battery temperature sensor (which in fact may well give different readings for different types of batteries), so when you report temperatures, please be specific about which temperature you are reporting - we expect that in this thread you will be reporting internal CPU temperatures by default.

In the coming weeks, we will be adding other graphs to the main scene to enable the relationships between different parameters and their effects on CPU utilisation, frequency, temperature and perhaps battery drain to be more easily analysed and reported.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/24/2010 at 09:05 PM.
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Rob I notice since this update I can no longer set the Uberkernel at 800mhz it is consistently staying at 550mhz. Any suggestions? Before the update it was running at 800mhz with no problems.
  14.    #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Rob I notice since this update I can no longer set the Uberkernel at 800mhz it is consistently staying at 550mhz. Any suggestions? Before the update it was running at 800mhz with no problems.
    You haven't given a full problem report here. We need to know the complete environment you have installed (e.g. any other overclocking apps or patches installed), and the complete set of governor settings you are using. This is alpha testing, remember

Note that LunaSysMgr will override your settings at various times when you are using the userspace governor.

-- Rod
    I updated to Govnah 0.1.3 I clicked on the userspace set the min scaling to 500000 Scaling max to 800000 and scaling set to 500000. I click save and swipe back to the main screen and the current govenor says userspace current frequency is 550mhz. This is a copy of a screen output
    ay off
    Sat Apr 24 21:15:49 2010 Screen dim
    Sat Apr 24 21:15:49 2010 Setting frequency to 500000: powersource battery, display dim
    Sat Apr 24 21:15:50 2010 Setting frequency to 500000: powersource battery, display dim
    Sat Apr 24 21:15:50 2010 Setting frequency to 500000: powersource battery, display dim
    Sat Apr 24 21:16:52 2010 Screen on
    Sat Apr 24 21:16:52 2010 Setting frequency to 550000: powersource battery, display on
    Sat Apr 24 21:16:53 2010 Screen on
    Sat Apr 24 21:16:53 2010 Setting frequency to 550000: powersource battery, display on
    Sat Apr 24 21:16:53 2010 Setting frequency to 550000: powersource battery, display on
    Sat Apr 24 21:17:00 2010 Screen on
    Sat Apr 24 21:17:00 2010 Setting frequency to 550000: powersource battery, display on
    Sat Apr 24 21:18:06 2010 Screen dim
    Sat Apr 24 21:18:06 2010 Setting frequency to 500000: powersource battery, display dim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never mind Rob steve helped me figure it out. Thanks!
  17.    #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I updated to Govnah 0.1.3 I clicked on the userspace set the min scaling to 500000 Scaling max to 800000 and scaling set to 500000. I click save and swipe back to the main screen and the current govenor says userspace current frequency is 550mhz. This is a copy of a screen output
    LunaSysMgr will override your settings if you use the userspace governor.

-- Rod
    is automatic downscaling based on temp enabled? I ran the 0.1.1 version all day and saw CPU temps between 25* and 38*. Upgraded to 0.1.3 after I saw the tweet and ran for a few minutes with the "perfomance" setting and cpu @800mhz and saw the cpu temp spike to 42*. Then the cpu went to 125mhz for a while even though the minimum was set to 500mhz. I don't have any other kernel or cpu scaling patches on my phone.

I am also unable to get the pinch to zoom timescaling to work. Never mind. I figured out that I was trying to work it in the opposite direction. sorry!
    Last edited by amateurhack; 04/24/2010 at 11:15 PM.
    running the "performance" setting but set the max scaling to 600mhz for several minutes now, and I see no appreciable difference in the cpu temps versus 500mhz normal setting, but still see appriciable improvements to u.i. performance.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I had 800MHz Custom Kernel installed earlier. I uninstalled it and checked the current scaling freqn and it showed 500Mhz.

I installed the Uber-Kernel which was successfully installed. I am able to use it fine, with multiple different settings from govnah.

However, when I was checking list of installed packages, it still show 800MHz custom kernel as installed both in Preware and WOSQI.
    I tried to uninstall it, but it gives out an error.

Since Uber-Kenel installed successfully, I believe, my Pre had stock kernel tho' Preware/WOSQI reports 800MHz kernel as installed.

Is there a way I can remove it from the list/uninstall it without doctoring?

Thanks.