Page 68 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1858636465666768697071727378118 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 2889
Like Tree17Likes
    Quick super-newbie question re Uberkernel & Govnah: Someone recommended them to me as a way of ridding myself of the plague of "too many cards" errors. Is this true? Will they help with this problem? Or are they strictly for increasing/moderating cpu speed?

I have just installed them both and they seem to be working fine.

Another question: What CPU temp is "too hot"? In my lengthy half hour of testing so far I seem to be hovering around 44 C when running at 800 MHz. When should I start to worry?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdoss View Post
    Actually, I think that somewhat answers my question. So, I should be using compcache? How do I use that? Is it in Preware?
    Application:Govnah - WebOS Internals

Please do post in the govnah thread if anything on the wiki is confusing or lacking detail to help you learn about govnah settings for the kernel. Govnah has settings for compcache and uber kernel includes compcache.

I rarely play my 3D games, and I only bring up a couple of apps (e.g. 4 or 5 or so), such as email or a web browser, or Dr. Podder, and will see TMC. I still see it when I haven't done anything (the apps are open, then I see the TMC although I'm not trying to open another app). I've even seen it when nothing is open.
    I'm suspecting it might be the web browser. Try testing out scenario with everything else you use except the browser open all at once an use the apps for awhile without closing them. If after awhile (I supposed however long it takes for TMC to typically appear) no TMC occurs start opening more apps. Continue to use the apps your normally do except for the browser. If after while still no TMC then you can close the extra apps if you want and then open the browser and visit one of the sites you regularly visit and see what happens after awhile. If when you figure enough time has passed for TMC to occur you can try another site you regularly visit. Let time pass and if no TMC then repeat until TMC occurs. At that point it is possible that the last site visited is the culprit. We can test that by rebooting the device and repeating the test except for the repeat you will only open the apps you typically have open when TMC occurs and visit that last site and see if TMC occurs again. If it does then I'd be confident in saying the website causes the TMC.

Just to be sure, UberKernel should address this sort of thing to some extent, right? I know it can't solve everything, but I am seeing the same thing as before. The Uberkernel text seems to imply that it doesn't make immediate changes, and I'm supposed to be able to make changes in Govnah, but I don't see anything in Govnah that addresses anything except changing the clock speed. Thanks for the help.
    uber kernel has two things that help with TMC. First a correction in code which wasn't matching its comment for what it does. Which basically resulted in TMC occurring before it was supposed to. Rod has another thread that discussed it in detail. Second it has the compcache which in a nut shell is a reserved amount of RAM(memory) that is used to compress stuff in RAM to make more RAM space with a small trade off of slightly slower than RAM speeds to compress and uncompress the stuff stored in that reserved space.

Quote Originally Posted by Samizdat2003 View Post
    Quick super-newbie question re Uberkernel & Govnah: Someone recommended them to me as a way of ridding myself of the plague of "too many cards" errors. Is this true? Will they help with this problem? Or are they strictly for increasing/moderating cpu speed?

I have just installed them both and they seem to be working fine.

Another question: What CPU temp is "too hot"? In my lengthy half hour of testing so far I seem to be hovering around 44 C when running at 800 MHz. When should I start to worry?

Thanks!
    Yes you can use uber kernel and not overclock and use the other settings and benefits of the kernel In addition to the govnah link in the beginning of this post here is the link for uberkernel's wiki page. If anything is confusing or lacking in detail do let us know so we can make updates to the page to make it better.

Application:UberKernel - WebOS Internals

As far as what temperature is too high depends on a combination of things. First is manufacture specifications CPU max is 90C and battery max is 60C. However it is not a good idea to get even close to those. For CPU power efficiency and system stability get worse as the temperature goes up. For the battery the life expectancy of the battery decreases as it's temperature stays at higher temperatures. There are resources out there with details on the effects of temperature on batteries (at least one link floating in the forums). My recommendations for CPU is a target temperature of no more than 50C to 60C depending also on the CPU temperatures impact on the battery temperature and system stability. A good target max for the battery would be 45C. But in general you don't want it like that 24/7. It is expected that 3D gaming and other intensive apps will heat up the CPU and battery up to these temperatures so it is a good idea to keep an eye when running intensive apps/games.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Now I'm confused I thought is was 34% per hour. 34% over 10 hours would be in the better end of normal drain per hour. My device with the stock battery idle (at the time no custom kernels existed) had 5% per hour drain. I got the 2600 shortly after it came out. The various OS updates improved that. I ran a test recently with the stock battery to see it is now about 2.5% per hour idle (with uber kernel installed). Toss in my typical daily usage and that goes up to 6% per hour. You don't want to know how bad it was with my heavy use (which is why I got the 2600 extended battery).
    34 percent per hour would've been insane You're right, it's about the drain I expect without activating the flight mode.

If by awhile it has been about 4 or 5 weeks I would fully charge and wait until the device auto powers off before charging again. This may give a slight increase if the calibration is off. I know on mine the calibration begins to be off after about a week or two and got significantly off after about 4 weeks. Now I wait until it goes down to 5% before every charge. The down side to that is I will wear out the battery quicker than those who top it off and perform calibration cycles once every 4 weeks or so.
    It might be more than a month, but I don't expect such a severe effect because on the calibration alone.

Sounds good, I'd be interested in know what the results are.
    3 percent with the regular kernel. I now installed UberKernel again and I'm using the standard profile.
    I can do something like that when running ScummVM.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Application:Govnah - WebOS Internals

Please do post in the govnah thread if anything on the wiki is confusing or lacking detail to help you learn about govnah settings for the kernel. Govnah has settings for compcache and uber kernel includes compcache.
    My apologies, I didn't realize there was a difference. I will look for the Govnah thread.

I'm suspecting it might be the web browser. Try testing out scenario with everything else you use except the browser open all at once an use the apps for awhile without closing them. If after awhile (I supposed however long it takes for TMC to typically appear) no TMC occurs start opening more apps. Continue to use the apps your normally do except for the browser. If after while still no TMC then you can close the extra apps if you want and then open the browser and visit one of the sites you regularly visit and see what happens after awhile. If when you figure enough time has passed for TMC to occur you can try another site you regularly visit. Let time pass and if no TMC then repeat until TMC occurs. At that point it is possible that the last site visited is the culprit. We can test that by rebooting the device and repeating the test except for the repeat you will only open the apps you typically have open when TMC occurs and visit that last site and see if TMC occurs again. If it does then I'd be confident in saying the website causes the TMC.
    It actually happens when I am using the App Catalog as well. I will try to make changes in Govnah (I have a question to post over there), then do as you mentioned above.

uber kernel has two things that help with TMC. First a correction in code which wasn't matching its comment for what it does. Which basically resulted in TMC occurring before it was supposed to. Rod has another thread that discussed it in detail. Second it has the compcache which in a nut shell is a reserved amount of RAM(memory) that is used to compress stuff in RAM to make more RAM space with a small trade off of slightly slower than RAM speeds to compress and uncompress the stuff stored in that reserved space.

Yes you can use uber kernel and not overclock and use the other settings and benefits of the kernel In addition to the govnah link in the beginning of this post here is the link for uberkernel's wiki page. If anything is confusing or lacking in detail do let us know so we can make updates to the page to make it better.

Application:UberKernel - WebOS Internals
    I don't know about this person, but when going to the UberKernel wiki, I saw nothing about it even addressing TMC, much less how to configure it. I personally didn't care much for CPU frequency, and was just looking to address TMC. If the wiki page mentioned TMC, I could have spent much less time looking for ways to address it. As it happened, I searched and searched and read for a long time, coming across UberKernel several times over several different searches before finally seeing something that said that it in fact could be used to address TMC.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Samizdat2003 View Post
    I believe the "too many cards" error is alleviated by enabling "compcache", which stands for "Compressed Cache", I think. I Govnah, click on your profile, then "Advanced Settings" at the top, then click "Compressed Swap" to play with the functions. I'd just turn it on and leave the limit alone, personally. I noticed no difference, but I really only do 1 thing at a time, so I'm never really pushing it.
    Last edited by heltoupee; 07/30/2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Adding quote so people know what I'm talking about.
    I added an FAQ item about TMC and what uber kernel has in regard to that. I tried to word it in plain english so that the average joe isn't confused by too much technical jargon. Please let me know if I've described properly the answer to the question and if it makes sense and completely answers it.

Quote Originally Posted by heltoupee View Post
    I believe the "too many cards" error is alleviated by enabling "compcache", which stands for "Compressed Cache", I think. I Govnah, click on your profile, then "Advanced Settings" at the top, then click "Compressed Swap" to play with the functions. I'd just turn it on and leave the limit alone, personally. I noticed no difference, but I really only do 1 thing at a time, so I'm never really pushing it.
    Compcache can help depending on the circumstances that result in the TMC error. Unless you open a lot of apps all at the same time you won't notice the benefits on compcache. I've opened as many as 6 browser cards to pages on precentral blog/forums, other blogs, and misc other related sites all at the same time. Before I could only open at most two and then get TMC over and over at that point. I've not been able to open enough stuff in my normal usage to get TMC with uber kernel and compcache on with 32MB. However I can cause it if I simply load a ton of stuff I would never need to have all running at the same time. Ive even managed to overflow the memory and lock my device up doing crazy stuff that I would have no reason to do otherwise. Only to find the extreme limit. The browser is limited in this manner and if you try and load a page with an insane amount of data on it you can lock the device up without getting TMC. Example my previous report of trying to load the page on netflix with my complete netflix instant watch history, which is a chart of something like 5,000 if not as many as 10,000 items.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Hopefully this is where I should post this, I am having a major problem with my phone after installing UberKernel. For some reason, I can only make calls in Speaker Phone, not normal phone use. I have tried running the Recovery Kernel and uninstalling Govnah, but the problem persists. Any ideas here?
  9.    #1349  
    Quote Originally Posted by humulos View Post
    Hopefully this is where I should post this, I am having a major problem with my phone after installing UberKernel. For some reason, I can only make calls in Speaker Phone, not normal phone use. I have tried running the Recovery Kernel and uninstalling Govnah, but the problem persists. Any ideas here?
    If it still occurs after you have correctly uninstalled UberKernel, or correctly installed the Recovery kernel using Preware, and completely rebooted your phone (a full reboot, not something less like a luna restart or just turning it off and on again with the power switch), then it is not related UberKernel.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    if it persists, check out the "Stuck in Headset Mode" thread
  11.    #1351  
    UberKernel (Pre/Pre+) 1.4.x-87 is now in alpha testing.

Over the last month, various people on the WebOS Internals kernel team (Tom, Marco, and myself) have been working on temperature limiting code. See git.webos-internals.org Git - kernels/patches.git/shortlog for the history.

UberKernel (for the Pre) now contains that code. It defaults to clamping the frequency to 500MHz at 55 degrees C, and unclamping it when the temperature drops to 50 degrees C. Those two parameters are adjustable, and a future version of Govnah will have support included to allow end-users to adjust those parameters.

Note that as always, you do *NOT* need to leave Govnah running for the temperature limiter to work. It is part of the kernel code, just like all the other frequency management code, and Govnah is only used to set parameters. Govnah is never part of the control loop for any kernel functionality, and leaving Govnah open for long periods will have a negative impact on performance and battery life.

Note that Marco has also been working on code that allows adjustment of voltages. That code is not enabled in UberKernel at this time.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Sounds good!

An update on my problem: reinstallation seems to have solved the issue. I'm now back to the levels of the regular Kernel using the default profile. Thanks for all the advice!
    I am not seeing Uber x-87 in the testing feeds. I am able to see all of the other testing kernels such as F102 F105 etc but I don't see UberKernel. Am I looking in te right place or is the kernel not posted yet through preware?
    I too can't see or don't register an update in preware yet. I know the testing feed is enabled properly.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psm9 View Post
    if it persists, check out the "Stuck in Headset Mode" thread
    Thanks! As it turns out it was just a ridiculous coincidence. I installed UberKernel and the first call I took that day had the problem, so I thought it was related. Turns out I just had some dust or sand or something in the 3.5 mm port, and it thought I was in Headset mode. HA! Is now working perfectly, and I am loving UberKernel sooo much!
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    hey guys sorry if this problem is unrelated, but I was updating my packages in preware this morning, and after it updated UK, it went to restart. And now it is just flashing the Palm logo agian and again. Then it turns off for a second, then starts over. The doctor is acting wierd too, it either gets stuck at a screen that says "novacomd". Or says a device is not connected. If anyone has any solutions it would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by nodforce View Post
    hey guys sorry if this problem is unrelated, but I was updating my packages in preware this morning, and after it updated UK, it went to restart. And now it is just flashing the Palm logo agian and again. Then it turns off for a second, then starts over. The doctor is acting wierd too, it either gets stuck at a screen that says "novacomd". Or says a device is not connected. If anyone has any solutions it would be greatly appreciated.
    A visit to the Doctor is in order...

How To Recover - WebOS Internals
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

Over the last month, various people on the WebOS Internals kernel team (Tom, Marco, and myself) have been working on temperature limiting code. See git.webos-internals.org Git - kernels/patches.git/shortlog for the history.

UberKernel (for the Pre) now contains that code. It defaults to clamping the frequency to 500MHz at 55 degrees C, and unclamping it when the temperature drops to 50 degrees C. Those two parameters are adjustable, and a future version of Govnah will have support included to allow end-users to adjust those parameters.

Note that as always, you do *NOT* need to leave Govnah running for the temperature limiter to work. It is part of the kernel code, just like all the other frequency management code, and Govnah is only used to set parameters. Govnah is never part of the control loop for any kernel functionality, and leaving Govnah open for long periods will have a negative impact on performance and battery life.

Note that Marco has also been working on code that allows adjustment of voltages. That code is not enabled in UberKernel at this time.

-- Rod
    So far this is working fine for me....

-- Rod
    O.K., because I just installed Uberkernel and Govnah two days ago and I'm new to all this, are you saying I can just sit back and not worry about my Pre's temperature as the software will not allow it to overheat and brick my Pre? I've been checking it constantly since installation and, as I see now, running down my battery because I always have the Govnah open.

Also, I should mention that, since I installed these programs, my Pre has crashed twice requiring I remove the battery to get things started again. The screen went black and would not respond to anything. This has never happened since I got the phone when the Pre first came out last year. Should I be concerned?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Pre in MN; 08/02/2010 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Added a question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    O.K., because I just installed Uberkernel and Govnah two days ago and I'm new to all this, are you saying I can just sit back and not worry about my Pre's temperature as the software will not allow it to overheat and brick my Pre? I've been checking it constantly since installation and, as I see now, running down my battery because I always have the Govnah open.

Also, I should mention that, since I installed these programs, my Pre has crashed twice requiring I remove the battery to get things started again. The screen went black and would not respond to anything. This has never happened since I got the phone when the Pre first came out last year. Should I be concerned?

Thanks!
    Sit back and dont worry and the temps melting the phone. It will scale it back.

It was always said that you shouldnt keep Govnah running. Without it running and checking for temps you will save on battery.
    Live free or DIE!