Page 63 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1353585960616263646566676873113 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 2889
Like Tree17Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Ummm... no it's not. There's no need. There's been only one kernel that you needed to use WebOS Repair Utility to fully get rid of the kernel package, but, since then there's been no issues. The only thing that is suggested is after installing a new kernel to do a clean shutdown (not a reboot) and pull the battery out for a minute or so to "reset" the hardware completely. I personally hold in the power button with the battery out just to make sure there are no left over electrons in the circuit(s).M.
    To recap, I had a 2nd generation 1.4 kernel installed on my Sprint Pre and wanted to remove it due to the upcoming software update. The original installation/removeal instructions had been deleted from the forums so someone suggested I install the palm recovery kernel. Perhaps that was a mistake but that's what I did. Then I downloaded uberkernel and govnah but immediately ran into overheating problems. I wound up removing uberkernel and govnah, but the overheating problems persisted so I sought help here.

Although several thought I should visit the doctor, instead I did what you suggested as a first step to see what happens. I did a clean shutdown and pulled the battery. I put my Pre back on one of my touchstones and found that I had no more overheating warnings. Then I again installed uberkernel and govnah (500/800) and still I'm not getting any overheating problems. So Xanadu, thanks for the help. I didn't use the WebOS Repair Utility but if the problem returns, I'll do that. Glad i didn't doctor. Thanks to everyone who helped out!
  2.    #1242  
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Stearns View Post
    To recap, I had a 2nd generation 1.4 kernel installed on my Sprint Pre and wanted to remove it due to the upcoming software update. The original installation/removeal instructions had been deleted from the forums so someone suggested I install the palm recovery kernel. Perhaps that was a mistake but that's what I did.
    Installing a recovery kernel is a last resort measure, not a preferred way to uninstall a previous overclocking solution that doesn't properly clean up after itself. Whoever suggested that you use the recovery kernel to uninstall something needs to stop giving out incorrect information.

I would advise you to check the md5sum of your LunaSysMgr binary.

Note that we would try and fix this problem with the uninstallation of the SPK if we could, but since the LunaSysMgr is a proprietary Palm binary, we are unable to distribute the correct version to reinstall.

Unfortunately, all those people who still have SPK (or any other kernel of that vintage) installed while they accept the webOS 1.4.5 update, and then uninstall it later, will become a member of a whole new group of people with grief caused by those kernels.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 07/10/2010 at 03:35 AM.
    Someone may want to check webos repair utility it may check LunaSysMgr and offer to restore it. If I don't forget to I may look into this as I recently scanned my pre and noticed it scanned stuff I didn't even think it scanned.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    i dont know if this the fault of Govnah or Uber-kernel, but i am having trouble with screenstate - it doesnt go lower than 500, but ive gotten it down to 250 before so this is a new problem. havent had it since before the last update.

also got an error message: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/screenstate/scaling_min_freq missing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ofthecats86 View Post
    i dont know if this the fault of Govnah or Uber-kernel, but i am having trouble with screenstate - it doesnt go lower than 500, but ive gotten it down to 250 before so this is a new problem. havent had it since before the last update.
    This is not a fault, it is a feature of uberkernel and it has been discussed several times in this thread if you want more info.
    Last edited by pip smith; 07/10/2010 at 05:02 PM.
  6.    #1246  
    Quote Originally Posted by ofthecats86 View Post
    also got an error message: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/screenstate/scaling_min_freq missing.
    Does this happen with the latest testing release? (0.5.6)

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Personally I can't speak for any effect the old kernels have on a device, however I can offer my personal experience with temperatures on my device and also what I recommend in that regard. Coming from years of overclocking PCs typical recommendation is to aim for 50C and under for the CPU. The higher the heat the lower the CPU efficiency and greater chance of instability. The 3430 is rated at 90C max. Obviously you don't want to come even remotely close to that. 60C is acceptable if it doesn't impact battery drain and the device is stable. But I personally recommend aiming for 50C or less. The reason for this is battery temperature. Due to the proximity of both the CPU and battery each will impact the others temperature. Battery manufacture warning is not exceed 60C battery temperature. Prolonged high battery temperatures will shorten the life expectancy of the battery. There is a chart out there with the stats for this. I personally would recommend avoiding long periods of battery temperature exceeding 40C. I'm currently looking into experimenting with DIY heatsink solutions. There are some possibilities I'm considering buying but would be something users would want to buy a second battery back to swap out rather than bulking the phone up for eveery day use that doesn't drive the temperatures up.
    +1
    Doug, it could be the version of the kernel your are now running. I have seen various results but the current Kernel gets me to 42-45 routinely when running apps without issues, infact I get 2 days of battery life routinely as well. I would uninstall your temp monitor. Infact I was running at 58 for 4 hours, no issues.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mlepore View Post
    Infact I was running at 58 for 4 hours, no issues.

I would remove this statement before your warranty gets pulled Thats insanely high unless thats F then take your Pre out of the fridge.
  9.    #1249  
    Quote Originally Posted by nullr View Post
    I would remove this statement before your warranty gets pulled Thats insanely high unless thats F then take your Pre out of the fridge.
    Anyone who installs UberKernel has already voided their warranty.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    Anyone who is doing so and bought their device before a year ago to date has nothing to worry about as the warranty is up anyways
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I have hesitated installing any kernals and I have casually followed the threads for some time. I installed Uberkernal and Govnah just last week once I learned the Compache was now included. I have set Govnah to screenstate 500/800 and have enabled Compcache. I still get TMC error in spurts (not everyday, last one had two in a row). I increased the cache from 28 to 64 to 96 and then still got the error. And my phone doesn't feel too much snappier.

I fear I am missing something obvious or doing something stupid. I have searched through the forums, but some of these threads are freakin' 60 pages long, so I could have missed something.

BTW, I have a Sprint Pre. Any advice would be appreciated.
  12. OrR
    The TMC error won't vanish completely. However, it should occur more rarely.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    yeah, but my phone's over a year old, so warranty is over already.
    Time to experiment!!!
    (I've got another 2 years and about 24k miles on my car before the REAL experimentation begins, though!!! Cosworth engine and Supercharger in my MX-5 Oh wait, you guys and gals don't care about THAT! )
    Palm user since my Palm Pilot Pro (B'day present 13 years ago, which I still have!) Previous devices include: IBM Workpad M100, C505, Palm i705, Palm Tungeston, 650, 680, and currently Pre! (There'll be more, I know it!)
    Anyone who is doing so and bought their device before a year ago to date has nothing to worry about as the warranty is up anyways
    Two years if you're an european end user
    Quote Originally Posted by quini View Post
    Two years if you're an european end user
    Palm gives european customers a two year warranty? Why would they get special treatment with a longer warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Dic Doc View Post
    I have hesitated installing any kernals and I have casually followed the threads for some time. I installed Uberkernal and Govnah just last week once I learned the Compache was now included. I have set Govnah to screenstate 500/800 and have enabled Compcache. I still get TMC error in spurts (not everyday, last one had two in a row). I increased the cache from 28 to 64 to 96 and then still got the error. And my phone doesn't feel too much snappier.

I fear I am missing something obvious or doing something stupid. I have searched through the forums, but some of these threads are freakin' 60 pages long, so I could have missed something.

BTW, I have a Sprint Pre. Any advice would be appreciated.
    You will need to provide a good deal of info of what app(s) your running when TMC occurs and possibly even apps ran prior to it and if there was any anomaly during any of the apps used. The cause of TMC could be caused by a continued memory leak in one or more running apps, a memory leaking web page being viewed in the browser (this being one of the more common TMC causes). The key is that even with the fix to properly figure out when to display TMC it will eventually show up especially if you are visiting a website notorious for leaking. Facebook used to cause this problem on windows PCs (not sure all the details I was one effected by it on vista). But I have visted other sites usually ones I found in a google search that I don't visit regularly that caused TMC after I had been viewing the page for at least several minutes indicating it kept filling memory.
    Last edited by StoneRyno; 07/13/2010 at 05:16 PM.
  16. OrR
    Palm gives european customers a two year warranty? Why would they get special treatment with a longer warranty?
    Our laws just are awesome like that.
    It's by law, but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $second$ $year$ $may$ $be$ $covered$ $sometimes$ $by$ $the$ $seller$ $of$ $the$ $product$ $instead$ $of$ $the$ $manufacturer$...
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Hi,

I tried Govnah 0.5.0 several times and had to doctor my pre. What I found out, that my Pre doesn`t like underclocking and freezes. Then I tried with stock kernel and Govnah settings "ondemand, min 500Mhz, Max 600Mhz).

When I hit "apply settings" it still clocks down to 125 Mhz leading to a total freeze of my pre and having me to take out the battery.

Is ther a bug in Govnah? Is this issue known?

Thanks

mgmft
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Hi,

I tried Govnah 0.5.0 several times and had to doctor my pre. What I found out, that my Pre doesn`t like underclocking and freezes. Then I tried with stock kernel and Govnah settings "ondemand, min 500Mhz, Max 600Mhz).

When I hit "apply settings" it still clocks down to 125 Mhz leading to a total freeze of my pre and having me to take out the battery.

Thanks

mgmft
  20.    #1260  
    Quote Originally Posted by mgmft View Post
    Hi,

Thanks

mgmft
    The ondemand governor causes problems for many people. That's why it's not one of the predefined profiles.

Use screenstate instead.

-- Rod