Page 62 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1252575859606162636465666772112 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 2889
Like Tree17Likes
    I have my Govnah set on Conservative with 600 min/800 max and my battery life improved at idle over the stock kernel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I have my Govnah set on Conservative with 600 min/800 max and my battery life improved at idle over the stock kernel.
    Thanks for sharing. I'm going to give that a try.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    First, apologies if this has been asked before but I've spent the past two or three hours researching these forums looking for a discussion about the problem I'm having. Background: I began overclocking my Sprint Pre last Apirl or so, before the Uberkernel came out. It worked great. Then the news of the new 1.45 update on the horizon lead me to want to remove it. I did that using the preware palm stock kernel (or whatever it is called). I did that yesterday. Today it seemed the update looked like it had been delayed for a few days and I was missing the smooth, quick response that I had come to enjoy on my Pre so decided to try Uberkernal/Govnah approach and uploaded both, did a restart and all was fine for a while. Then I started getting temp warnings every few minutes while my Pre was on the touchstone. (Nothing else was going on, no streaming or anything.) I fiddled with different Govnah settings but continued to get the temp warnings. (The temp ranged from 42 to 45 when I checked Govnah.) Frustrated, I decided to set Govnah back to Palm stock clockspeed but the temp warnings continued. So finally, I used preware to remove both the Uberkernel and Govnah patches/apps, followed by a restart. To my dismay, I'm still receiving the same temp warnings although without Govnah, I don't know exactly what the temp is. (I had downloaded Rob's temp warning patch some months ago, I assume that's what is giving me these warnings.) Just to make clear, I was not getting the temp warnings prior to downloading (and removing) Uberkernal and Govnah.

So, does anyone have a suggestion what i should do next? I like the faster, smoother Pre but these temp warnings (while on the touchstone, where my pre is much of the time) worry me a great deal, in that they come every 3 or 4 minutes.

Thanks much for any help you can provide. I love my Pre!
    Doug, when you remove a non-UK kernel, it is recommended that you Doctor prior to installing UK, as it seems not everything is removed from the other kernel. At this point, I believe your only option will be to Doctor your phone and then reinstall UK/Govnah over a clean OS. This should fix your overheating issue, and allow UK to run correctly. I think Rod can elaborate on this, if he has time.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I always forget to mention the other side of the coin. If processing is occurring regularly during periods of idle time the slower speed may also increase battery. Which is why I have been very interested in analyzing battery consumption. {...} Using that process on my own usage I discovered it is best that I keep my pre running at 800mhz. This is one of the reasons why I like to experiment testing this sort of stuff.

I'm right there with you. That's fine and dandy the the thing sucks a lot of juice (seemingly too much) when in active use, but, I've fired up Govnah after long-ish periods (20 - 30 minutes) of my phone sitting untouched on my desk only to find the 1, 5, and 15 minute load averages in the mid to high teens when in comparison, I could be reading here, or Slahsdot and typing mails and it won't go into double digits.

That said, I too have found that a steady 800MHz is by far the best battery savings method. I've been playing with a few different forms of 720MHz (trying different governors/compcaches) and it's not the same.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Doug, when you remove a non-UK kernel, it is recommended that you Doctor prior to installing UK
    Ummm... no it's not. There's no need. There's been only one kernel that you needed to use WebOS Repair Utility to fully get rid of the kernel package, but, since then there's been no issues. The only thing that is suggested is after installing a new kernel to do a clean shutdown (not a reboot) and pull the battery out for a minute or so to "reset" the hardware completely. I personally hold in the power button with the battery out just to make sure there are no left over electrons in the circuit(s).

M.
    Doug, when you remove a non-UK kernel, it is recommended that you Doctor prior to installing UK, as it seems not everything is removed from the other kernel. At this point, I believe your only option will be to Doctor your phone and then reinstall UK/Govnah over a clean OS. This should fix your overheating issue, and allow UK to run correctly. I think Rod can elaborate on this, if he has time.
    I recommend the doctor also. Specifically because Doug used the palm recovery kernel and not the intended uninstall script for his overclocking method, could you clarify what you were using?
    I believe the recovery kernel only properly removes webos-internals overclocking solutions. Other OC methods will leave changed files behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Stearns View Post
    I began overclocking my Sprint Pre last Apirl or so, before the Uberkernel came out.

To further my reply to Blaize but replying to you at the same time:

What kernel were you using? SuperPreKernel? If so you need to use WebOS Repair Utility and tell it to restore the file: /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr and you'll be good to go.

M.
    @ Xanadu, per Rod:

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If you have ever installed an overclocking kernel or patch on your device that did not come from a webos-internals kernel feed, then you are advised to back up your data and run the webOS Doctor on your device before installing the UberKernel. Previous overclocking solutions from other groups (especially the SuperPreKernel) do not uninstall cleanly (as predicted by us at the time) in some circumstances.

-- Rod
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    To further my reply to Blaize but replying to you at the same time:

What kernel were you using? SuperPreKernel? If so you need to use WebOS Repair Utility and tell it to restore the file: /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr and you'll be good to go.

M.
    I think you missed my post so I will repeat it in a different way. Doug used the recovery kernel to remove a non webos-internals OC method. It is possible that certain files, other than LunaSysMgr, have not been returned to stock. The sensible way to proceed would be to doctor!
    What kernel were you using? SuperPreKernel? If so you need to use WebOS Repair Utility and tell it to restore the file: /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr and you'll be good to go.M.
    The kernel I first used (last April I think) was the one described in the 'Optimized WebOS 1.4 Kernel Video/WOSQI 720Mhz/800 MHz Easy Install' forum post by Dieter on March 20th. Since then I've spent very little time on these forums so I haven't followed all that's gone on. Of course, that post has been removed so I was at first lost as to how to remove the kernel. Fortunately, someone pointed me to the palm stock kernel in preware and that's what I used. Perhaps i should have just left it alone. So what would you suggest about the temp warnings? Above I'm being advised to visit the doctor. Is the WebOS Repair Utility (as you suggest) what i should do?

Thanks!!!!
    @ Xanadu, per Rod:

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby
    If you have ever installed an overclocking kernel or patch on your device that did not come from a webos-internals kernel feed, then you are advised to back up your data and run the webOS Doctor

While I 100% understand your point (and Rod's, of course), all doctoring will do is restore original system files (fixing SPK's mess), it will not at all period remove scripts sitting around. Believe me. I still have junk sitting on my phone from the "early days" of getting under the hood of the Pre. For instance, nano is 100% fully "installed" and working fine, but no package manager knows about it because it's still there from the old hack methods of doing this stuff. I've Doctored my Pre several times and have gone through several Palm updates and it's still there working fine.

The point is, Doctoring will not "clean up" a Pre and to suggest that as a first thing isn't the best of solutions. Sure it's the easiest to say to someone, but it's not the best. The only exception to that is SPK's mess, but that can be undone by only replacing one file (/usr/bin/LunaSysMgr) with WebOS Repair Utility.

I get where you (and Rod and others) are coming from, but there's better ways to do it. That's all.

M.
    The kernel I first used (last April I think) was the one described in the 'Optimized WebOS 1.4 Kernel Video/WOSQI 720Mhz/800 MHz Easy Install' forum post by Dieter on March 20th. Since then I've spent very little time on these forums so I haven't followed all that's gone on. Of course, that post has been removed so I was at first lost as to how to remove the kernel. Fortunately, someone pointed me to the palm stock kernel in preware and that's what I used. Perhaps i should have just left it alone. So what would you suggest about the temp warnings? Above I'm being advised to visit the doctor. Is the WebOS Repair Utility (as you suggest) what i should do?

Thanks!!!!

I've done some ugly (and at times stupid...) things to my Pre over the past 4 or 5 months testing things out. WebOS Repair Utility as fixed it right up every time and I have not had to doctor my Pre. YMMV, of course. *I* personally would first try and fix the thing before I tried wiping the thing. I HATE typing all my passwords for web sites in again and all the other junk that goes along with wiping any computer.

As far as temps go, perhaps my eyes are growing to weary (it's 11:30pm here - my alarm goes off at 5:20am every morning...), but I'm not seeing the speeds at which you're now running your phone at. Can you fill in that gap?

M.
    As far as temps go, perhaps my eyes are growing to weary (it's 11:30pm here - my alarm goes off at 5:20am every morning...), but I'm not seeing the speeds at which you're now running your phone at. Can you fill in that gap? M.
    Hey Xanadu, not sure what you're asking for. The speed? Since I removed Govnah, I can't directly see but prior to removing, I had set Govnah at the palm default. 600 mhz?

For what it's worth, I've opened the slider and the temp warnings stopped - as one would expect. I'll follow your advise and see if that happens. I've never had to doctor either and am not looking forward to my first!

Your help (and that of the others who have chimmed in) is greatly appreciated!
    So what would you suggest about the temp warnings? Above I'm being advised to visit the doctor. Is the WebOS Repair Utility (as you suggest) what i should do?

Thanks!!!!
    Personally I can't speak for any effect the old kernels have on a device, however I can offer my personal experience with temperatures on my device and also what I recommend in that regard. Coming from years of overclocking PCs typical recommendation is to aim for 50C and under for the CPU. The higher the heat the lower the CPU efficiency and greater chance of instability. The 3430 is rated at 90C max. Obviously you don't want to come even remotely close to that. 60C is acceptable if it doesn't impact battery drain and the device is stable. But I personally recommend aiming for 50C or less. The reason for this is battery temperature. Due to the proximity of both the CPU and battery each will impact the others temperature. Battery manufacture warning is not exceed 60C battery temperature. Prolonged high battery temperatures will shorten the life expectancy of the battery. There is a chart out there with the stats for this. I personally would recommend avoiding long periods of battery temperature exceeding 40C. I'm currently looking into experimenting with DIY heatsink solutions. There are some possibilities I'm considering buying but would be something users would want to buy a second battery back to swap out rather than bulking the phone up for eveery day use that doesn't drive the temperatures up.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Where is UberKernel in Preware? Doesn't show up for me. I'd like to try it as SuperPreKernel never worked, topping out at 600 despite installing the 800 kernel. I'm not green when it comes to overclocking and would be willing to try something potentially less stable if it were available (f102 or f104, etc). But if UberKernel is good enough and easy to install, that's my preference. But where is it available? Thanks for any help.
  17.    #1237  
    While I 100% understand your point (and Rod's, of course), all doctoring will do is restore original system files (fixing SPK's mess), it will not at all period remove scripts sitting around. Believe me. I still have junk sitting on my phone from the "early days" of getting under the hood of the Pre. For instance, nano is 100% fully "installed" and working fine, but no package manager knows about it because it's still there from the old hack methods of doing this stuff. I've Doctored my Pre several times and have gone through several Palm updates and it's still there working fine.

The point is, Doctoring will not "clean up" a Pre and to suggest that as a first thing isn't the best of solutions. Sure it's the easiest to say to someone, but it's not the best. The only exception to that is SPK's mess, but that can be undone by only replacing one file (/usr/bin/LunaSysMgr) with WebOS Repair Utility.

I get where you (and Rod and others) are coming from, but there's better ways to do it. That's all.

M.
    A webOS Doctor will completely wipe and rewrite the store-root (/) and store-var (/var) partitions, but will usually not touch the store-media (/media/internal) partition. It will also clear the /media/cryptofs/apps area, in which all homebrew programs are installed.

Everything that SPK did is reverted by a webOS Doctor.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    A webOS Doctor will completely wipe and rewrite the store-root (/) and store-var (/var) partitions, but will usually not touch the store-media (/media/internal) partition. It will also clear the /media/cryptofs/apps area, in which all homebrew programs are installed.

Everything that SPK did is reverted by a webOS Doctor.

-- Rod
    I (respecfully) disagree. My nano, tcpdump, and nmap installs are known by no package managers on this system, live buried in /var (-obind to /opt) and have survied a few Palm updates and several doctor visits. Granted it's been a few months since any doctor visits (since before 1.4.0), maybe it's different now(?). I've been using WebOS Repair Tool to fix my phone all this time.

I'll double-check the package manager bit in a couple hours when I can plug my phone into a real keyboard (and a mouse so I can copy and paste... :-) )

M.
  19.    #1239  
    I (respecfully) disagree. My nano, tcpdump, and nmap installs are known by no package managers on this system, live buried in /var (-obind to /opt) and have survied a few Palm updates and several doctor visits. Granted it's been a few months since any doctor visits (since before 1.4.0), maybe it's different now(?). I've been using WebOS Repair Tool to fix my phone all this time.

I'll double-check the package manager bit in a couple hours when I can plug my phone into a real keyboard (and a mouse so I can copy and paste... :-) )

M.
    Conflicting evidence is an awesome tool for scientific discovery.

I can show the logs from the webOS 1.4.x Doctor where trenchcoat does a mkfs on the / and /var partitions, and where the /media/internal/.palm directory (which back the cryptofs) is deleted. These three places cover everywhere that Preware and optware install stuff.

Can you confirm the non-deleting of things that you are reporting on a recent (1.4.x) version of the doctor?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Conflicting evidence is an awesome tool for scientific discovery.

I can show the logs from the webOS 1.4.x Doctor where trenchcoat does a mkfs on the / and /var partitions, and where the /media/internal/.palm directory (which back the cryptofs) is deleted. These three places cover everywhere that Preware and optware install stuff.

Can you confirm the non-deleting of things that you are reporting on a recent (1.4.x) version of the doctor?

-- Rod

I guess "no" will have to be my answer there, Rod. I haven't Doctored my phone since the 1.3.* days. If you're asking me if I'm willing to Doctor my phone for the test, I don't know man. That's a lot of stuff to retype. I know that you guys built the "Save Package List" function, there's the Save/Restore app (of which it only knows about a toddler's handful of the stuff I use), and that Pre Backup App has some serious issues (upstart tries to start some service part of it every 5 seconds 24/7 and helps my phone plow through battery so I removed it).

That said, I was thinking of Doctoring fresh for the 1.4.5, though. It'll probably be the last of the 1.* series so I thought I'd start fresh there.

M.