Page 58 of 145 FirstFirst ... 848535455565758596061626368108 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 2889
Like Tree17Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiGS750EZ View Post
    How do you use the compcache? Should i put it on 16 or 128?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
    +1
    errade has shed some light on this question, like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by errade View Post
    Guys, I'll try and explain this the best way I can. The short version is this: Basically nobody can tell you what the best compache memlimit is for you, because it will be different for everyone depending on how they use their phone.

How it works:
    The Sprint Pre has 256MB RAM in total - a certain proportion of this is dedicated to actually running the system, which is why the compache memlimit only lets you choose up to 128MB.

Now let's say you choose a 16MB memlimit - this reserves and locks 16MB of RAM and then converts it into virtual space that accepts compressed data - effectively meaning that your 16MB has just (theoretically) transformed into 32MB (or more, or less) - so you've just increased the number of apps you can open (or the quantity of RAM that they have available to them).

The problem is that this 16MB is now reserved for your apps. The danger comes when you reserve so much RAM for compache that you use all of your physical RAM up - if the RAM is full, then the system uses what's called a swap area which behaves like RAM but is actually flash which is MUCH slower.

Now, imagine you'd reserved 128MB for compache and you're running several 3D games - well you'll definitely run out of physical RAM, and the system will begin to use swap - if somebody then phones you, or your device tries to do a backup, or you get an email, or a calendar alert comes through, the swap area will have to deal with it - as a result you might miss your notification or the process might fail altogether.

So, in other words:

1) The Light User
    If you are the sort of person who only ever runs 2-3 light apps at a time such as Messaging, Calendar and maybe a twitter client - then you'd be safe to choose 128MB compache (but you really wouldn't need to because you already have enough RAM to do that).
    Result: Choose a low memlimit like 16MB for a small but hopefully noticeable boost.

2) The extreme user
    If you're the sort of person who likes to run two 3D games at once as well as a browser window and some other cards, setting the memlimit to 128MB would definitely be advantageous, but you are much more at risk to the dangers described above.
    Result: If you want to run loads of cards and you're not worried about missing any calls or notifications etc, choose a high memlimit of 96MB or 128MB this will give you the best performance to be able to do that.

3) The average user
    If you like to mix it up - a bit of light usage but sometimes a 3D game or three heavy websites at a time - you might like to set your memlimit halfway, perhaps between 32MB-64MB.
    Result: Choose a modest memlimit like 32MB or 48MB - good for the average user who occasionally makes heavy use of their phone.

So you see, the higher the memlimit, the more performance you can squeeze out of your phone, but the more you risk drowning out other processes which may (or may not) be important to you. Therefore, you can choose how much or how little RAM to dedicate to compache based on how much risk you are willing to take and how much performance you wish to gain.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    After doctoring my Pre, Govnah and Uberkernel will not work. I have installed Uberkernel through Preware along with Govnah, and when I open Govnah it only shows me stock processor performance states.

It was working fine before the wipe, but now it seems to not work at all.
    Hello

I installed it yesterday,
    screenstate 500 - 720 24MB compcache
    switched to 250 - 720 today
    and now my clock is missing a (some hundred) beats,

Over night, with screenstate 500-720 and 3G/Wlan turned off (quicks stats beta)
    the pre "missed" about 2,5h!

As the new ‹berkernel and switch to screenstate is the only change I did,
    I'm not sure if this is "feature" :-/

I always turn off 3g/wlan over night to save battery and sleep well without being alarmed by any email/tweet/...

Of course I nearly missed the bus this morning as the alarm was not "in time" :-)
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    ^yha instal the Palm kernel in preware then hit "later" then install the uber kernel and restart "ok"
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Can I simply update from a previous version (1.4.1-21) of Uberkernel to the next with Preware. i should I first go back to the recovery kernel?
    Between the lines I read that I probably can, but can anybody please still confirm this?
    I'm going to try this out today. Wish me luck.
    Well, all I can say is wow! My regular old Sprint Pre seems to work 4 times faster (I know that's not true). The experience has renewed my interest in WebOS app development. I'm a web developer so that shouldn't be too complicated right?

Now, I need some ideas.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Between the lines I read that I probably can, but can anybody please still confirm this?
    spud101, see this link
    http://forums.precentral.net/2528087-post925.html
    I updated to the latest Uberkernel then found that Govnah won't allow me to set anything besides the Palm Default. When attempting to remove Uberkernel, I get the following message in the IPKG Log: "FAILED -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptoffs/apps/bin/sh/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.uber-kernel-pre.prerm 2>&1
    Kernel confirmed to be compatible with webOS version
    Fatal error occurred, unable to locate tarball"

I recall that when I was installing Uberkernel, I briefly minimized the card while closing out other apps. It seemed to stall when it was saving the old kernel, but later it said that it was successfully installed though the screen continuously showed the rotating arrows.

I tried running the recovery kernel, and it installed, but Uberkernel is still there and detected as an installed package by Preware. Also, the icon for it remains in the Launcher.

Please help. Pre still works, just no option to do much with Govnah. I'd like to reinstall Uberkernel, but I currently don't seem to have that option.
    Last edited by doctorzeph; 06/29/2010 at 01:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If you previously used SPK, my advice is to doctor.
    -- Rod
    Thanks, Rod. I've doctored my Pre and now it's no longer hanging after setting compcache on
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    No, you're not doing anything wrong. Palm have released the same version number of webOS on two different carriers for the Pixi, and the kernel binaries have different checksums even though the source code is the same (probably just a recompile without changes).

Install the Palm Recovery Kernel from Preware (Pixi version), then try again.

-- Rod
    I needed to do this as well as I was getting the same error on a Sprint Pixi. It did cause a moment of that "hot under the collar" feeling when you think you may have just borked something. Installing the recovery and then UK worked just fine.

It's interesting that this doesn't happen on the Pre (or maybe it does and I'm just not aware of it).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmac View Post
    That link doesn't say anything how to update an installed uber kernel with a newer version of the uber kernel. My question, can I just hit update in preware or should I first go back to recovery kernel and then install the latest?
    I'm just really itching to know what the minimum frequency setting has to do with the pixi. I can understand on the pre, but what would the benefits of 122.88 and 600 be over a 600 and 600 or visa versa? This is the only thing i cant wrap my mind around and then i understand it all!
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Spud just upgrade to the latest in Preware. That is how I did it.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyJoe View Post
    Spud just upgrade to the latest in Preware. That is how I did it.
    +1
    works great!
    Liking the new UK so far... running it fairly conservatively right now @ 250/600 Screenstate, with 32MB compcache. I've hit a few "system bogs" that normally would have caused a grayed out browser window (deleting multiple emails over IMAP, with browser and media player running, app catalog too). So far system is still chugging along. Everything slowed down to a crawl at one point but then sems to have recovered to normal on its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiGS750EZ View Post
    I'm just really itching to know what the minimum frequency setting has to do with the pixi. I can understand on the pre, but what would the benefits of 122.88 and 600 be over a 600 and 600 or visa versa? This is the only thing i cant wrap my mind around and then i understand it all!
    On the Sprint Pixi, it looks to be doing an on demand governor. If you watch in Govnah, you can see it dropping down to 122.88MHz and back up to 600MHz. So I'm thinking that if you set it to 600-600, you would see the Pixi being a bit less sluggish at times, but you would probably also see a dramatic increase in battery drain. I haven't experimented, though.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I have the verizon pixi plus :-)
    I see that -58 now downscales your processor when it detects charging. This is great.

But why did you set the limit at 1A? I'm not currently overclocking, and one of the reasons I stopped doing it was the crazy temperatures the phone would reach when on the Touchstone. The post announcing -58 mentions that Touchstone charging is reported as 700mA.

What are the chances of a future Kernel always downscaling the processor to 500MHz when charged? Or even one allowing Govnah to set downscaling events (i.e. downscale whenever charged at 700mA; downscale whenever charged)?
    I'm having a weird problem after updating to the latest Uber Kernel, whenever I use screenstate, and set my screen on state to 720 and screen off state to 125, and I turn off the screen then turn it back on..it freezes...no matter what...forcing me to pop out the battery and put it back in, and this NEVER happened when I was using the older UberKernel...

Anybody else having this problem or can help me? :\