webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  WebOS Internals > WebOS Internals Uber-Kernel
WebOS Internals Uber-Kernel
Like Tree17Likes

Old 06/27/2010, 08:37 PM   #1101 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislo View Post
I am having the same problem and can't install the pixi kernel.
checksum problem.
but i dn't install the palm recovery kernel too it says kernel not compatable with your device.
my carrier is o2 and the version is 1.4.1.3

chris
I've pushed a 1.4.1.3 compatible recovery kernel recipe to the autobuilder. Look for the -7 version in an hour or so.

What model number is your device? (e.g. P100UEU, P121EWW, etc)

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2010, 08:52 PM   #1102 (permalink)

Interestingly enough, I restarted my Pre and then reopened Preware and now the experimental kernels are showing up. :P
Zen00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2010, 08:54 PM   #1103 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
Interestingly enough, I restarted my Pre and then reopened Preware and now the experimental kernels are showing up. :P
Sounds like you have updating of your feeds set to manual, and didn't hit Update Feeds.

-- Rod
Old 06/27/2010, 10:01 PM   #1104 (permalink)

Nope, I did update the feeds, and restarted Preware as well.
Zen00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2010, 10:09 PM   #1105 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
Nope, I did update the feeds, and restarted Preware as well.
Did new versions of the feeds actually get downloaded when you updated the feeds (if you don't have a network connection it won't), and restarting Preware doesn't guarantee it either if you have the preferences set to manual.

-- Rod
Old 06/28/2010, 05:05 AM   #1106 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
I've pushed a 1.4.1.3 compatible recovery kernel recipe to the autobuilder. Look for the -7 version in an hour or so.

What model number is your device? (e.g. P100UEU, P121EWW, etc)

-- Rod
my model number is P121UEU

I did install the the palm recovery kernel successfully.

but the warthogkernel removed my wifi capabilities, so i removed it.

and uberkernel -50 won't install claiming kernel version not compatable.

chris
chrislo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2010, 05:15 AM   #1107 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislo View Post
my model number is P121UEU

I did install the the palm recovery kernel successfully.

but the warthogkernel removed my wifi capabilities, so i removed it.

and uberkernel -50 won't install claiming kernel version not compatable.

chris
Look for the next version of UberKernel - it will be useable for you.

-- Rod
Old 06/28/2010, 05:43 AM   #1108 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Look for the next version of UberKernel - it will be useable for you.

-- Rod
thanks mate!
chrislo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2010, 09:42 AM   #1109 (permalink)
Developer

UberKernel 1.4.x-58 is released to the public feeds.

If you have ever installed an overclocking kernel or patch on your device that did not come from a webos-internals kernel feed, then you are advised to back up your data and run the webOS Doctor on your device before installing the UberKernel. Previous overclocking solutions from other groups (especially the SuperPreKernel) do not uninstall cleanly (as predicted by us at the time) in some circumstances.

The WebOS Internals kernel development team includes Marco Benton (unixpsycho), Rod Whitby (rwhitby), Steve Bromwich (sbromwich), Jauder Ho (jauderho), and Tom King (ka6sox). The F102A, F104A, F105, Uber, Warthog, and SBromwich kernels are all the collective output of this team and are part of a cycle of continuous experimentation, stabilisation and mainstream release of new kernel features. The UberKernel is the result of experimental testing of various new features in the other kernels. See http://git.webos-internals.org/?p=ke...git;a=shortlog for the complete list of kernel changes that have been tested by this team.

Major new features for this UberKernel release include:

1/ Pixi support (but frequencies above 600MHz are not available on the Pixi hardware, and we have no foreseeable solution to that limitation)

2/ Compcache support for both Pre and Pixi (disabled by default)

3/ Lower frequencies enabled for the screenstate minimum if desired (but be sure that your device will run reliably below 500MHz before making that stick)

4/ Updated pre-remove script to cover an obscure OTA scenario that wasn't being handled

5/ Modified Too Many Cards error algorithm to include free swap space in the calculation

6/ Compiled with a new set of compilation flags shown to give better performance at the same frequency

7/ Screenstate govnernor limits frequency to 500MHz when charging at 1A to prevent overheating. Charging on the touchstone is reported to the kernel as 700mA.

Note that the screenstate governor only changes the speed of the device when you switch the screen on or switch the screen off. If you plug the wall charger in while the screen is on, the frequency will not change to 500MHz until you turn the screen off. If you unplug the wall charger while the screen is on, the frequency will not change back to 800MHz until you turn the screen off and on again.

Also note that low brightness values cannot be distinguished from a screen-off condition by the kernel. If the screenstate governor does not seem to be working for you, then increase your screen brightness and examine any applications or patches that lower the minimum screen brightness value.

The alpha testers will be able to answer any questions you might have about how to configure this kernel to suit your needs.

Remember to follow @webosinternals on twitter for 24h after the next webOS update arrives for guidance before accepting the update.

-- Rod

Last edited by rwhitby; 06/28/2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06/28/2010, 09:50 AM   #1110 (permalink)

thanks rod! Will screenstate or speeds over 600 be available on the pixi in the future? Thanks for all your hard work! Very much appreciated!
Thanked By: jdhamblin
Old 06/28/2010, 09:53 AM   #1111 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
thanks rod! Will screenstate or speeds over 600 be available on the pixi in the future? Thanks for all your hard work! Very much appreciated!
We have no foreseeable solution to that limitation. I've updated the post to make that clear.

-- Rod
Thanked By: stu5797
Old 06/28/2010, 10:13 AM   #1112 (permalink)

Hi,

I tried Uberkernel and Govnah several times. Even the new ones today. Most of the time, my Pre (German O2 GSM 1.4.1) freezes when I change settings in Govnah. The longes period without freezing was 1 hour with les than 4 cards open I tried mostly 600 MHz and once 720.

What could be the problem?

Thanks LinuxQ
mgmft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2010, 11:41 AM   #1113 (permalink)

I keep getting an installation error?
SuzukiGS750EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2010, 11:45 AM   #1114 (permalink)

Woohoo! Today's my birthday, and I get a shiny, new, public kernel with compcache! Thanks a ton!
hegemon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2010, 11:54 AM   #1115 (permalink)

Rod & Co. great work! The team has done a great job of thoroughly vetting the modifications to get a balance between safety and performance. This release is timely because I was just adding the testing feed when I saw this thread.

Thanks for all of your hard work. I think another donation is in order. Others should do the same.
milliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2010, 12:05 PM   #1116 (permalink)

How do you use the compcache? Should i put it on 16 or 128?

Last edited by SuzukiGS750EZ; 06/28/2010 at 12:57 PM.
SuzukiGS750EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2010, 12:11 PM   #1117 (permalink)

So it looks as though speeds above 800 mHz were rejected after testing on the F102 kernel? Govnah (today's release) only offers me 800, max now that I've installed the new UberKernel.
tbetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2010, 12:30 PM   #1118 (permalink)

Has anyone posted SunSpider benchmarks for the various cpu speeds? Thanks!
hrminer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2010, 12:59 PM   #1119 (permalink)

Can I simply update from one version of Uberkernel to the next with Preware. i should I first go back to the recovery kernel?
spud101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2010, 01:27 PM   #1120 (permalink)

So after updating the UberKernal and Govnah today, I went back to my screenstate govenor setting of 500/720MHz, enabled compcache to true with a memlimit of 16MB.
I opened multiple browser cards (8-9), and immediately noticed the difference. My Pre remained smooth, resposive and fast with 9 cards open no stutter or lagginess as before. And the best part, no TMC, YAYYYYY!!!!
This is like Christmas has come in JULY! and I have a new Pre! Woohoo!
Thank you Marco, Rod, Steve, Jader and Tom! You guys are the best! And we are so fortunate to have you in this community.

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
vza33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uberkernal ota, uberkernel

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0