Page 53 of 145 FirstFirst ... 343484950515253545556575863103 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 2889
Like Tree17Likes
  1. #1041  
    does anybody here use the warthog?
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  2. #1042  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    does anybody here use the warthog?
    been using Warthog kernel since yesterday morning... Running at 600Mhz and overall performance is quite good... Better than UK. Sure it's not like running at 800, but it is very usable.
  3. #1043  
    Quote Originally Posted by ukabu View Post
    been using Warthog kernel since yesterday morning... Running at 600Mhz and overall performance is quite good... Better than UK. Sure it's not like running at 800, but it is very usable.
    does warthog run at 800, and how does it make it better than uk?
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  4. rpankoe's Avatar
    Posts
    287 Posts
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    #1044  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Note that it's the Palm server which determines whether you are logged into the profile or not.

    Homebrew apps can't change this as far as I know, and there is definitely no way that an app on the device can change what data is in your Palm profile.

    Please let us know if you find a repeatable test case, cause this seems to be randomly happening to all sorts of people and no-one can repeat it yet.

    -- Rod
    I've not had it happen 3 times that I've done some variation of this:

    After being logged out, I've logged in to the palm profile, let it reload all the catalog apps, let it resync all my email, and then I use WOSQI to install preware and Save/Restore. I restore the preware stuff, and then add testing feeds to preware. Ran PocketMirror and synced all my outlook contacts. Then since patches hadn't been removed and prior attempts at EPR didn't work to delete them after this logout occurs, I installed the Palm Pre recovery kernel, then I ran the repair utility to clear off any patches..etc.. with override compatibility. When the phone reboots, I went back to preware and tried to update a palm catalog program, but then as it's loading the app catalog from preware, it popped up with the screen telling me reboot required because I'd been signed out of my palm profile. It reboots, then tells me again I've been signed out of the palm profile and asks to reboot or erase all data. I click reboot. It then boots back up, has me select the language, and so on and so on..

    Seems each time to be related to the app catalog. I believe this last time (other than Preware & Save/Restore) I didn't have any apps that were homebrew on the device. Unless it had something to do with the fact that I did a repair utility on the phone, or installation of the default Kernel from preware. I wouldn't think that either of those would duplicate any information that might be on another device. I've seen in some other threads that people were having cross-data problems that were believed to have caused this palm profile logging out problem. Maybe related? Maybe Palm app catalog is seeing two devices as the same one and only one device can be logged into the profile at a time?

    Just posting this here as a followup to rwhitby, but we can move it to a new thread if necessary.
    Last edited by rpankoe; 06/20/2010 at 12:10 PM.
  5.    #1045  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    does warthog run at 800, and how does it make it better than uk?
    Warthog is not intended to be an end-user kernel. It is an experimentation testbed. Do not use it unless you are performing carefully controlled experiments.

    Especially don't use it if you haven't even exercised the first responsibility of an alpha tester and read the documentation at the Homepage link for the package.

    Failure to do that is simply not acceptable, as it wastes our time answering questions that are anwered there.

    -- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 06/20/2010 at 05:49 PM.
  6.    #1046  
    Quote Originally Posted by rpankoe View Post
    I've not had it happen 3 times that I've done some variation of this:

    After being logged out, I've logged in to the palm profile, let it reload all the catalog apps, let it resync all my email, and then I use WOSQI to install preware and Save/Restore. I restore the preware stuff, and then add testing feeds to preware. Ran PocketMirror and synced all my outlook contacts. Then since patches hadn't been removed and prior attempts at EPR didn't work to delete them after this logout occurs, I installed the Palm Pre recovery kernel, then I ran the repair utility to clear off any patches..etc.. with override compatibility. When the phone reboots, I went back to preware and tried to update a palm catalog program, but then as it's loading the app catalog from preware, it popped up with the screen telling me reboot required because I'd been signed out of my palm profile. It reboots, then tells me again I've been signed out of the palm profile and asks to reboot or erase all data. I click reboot. It then boots back up, has me select the language, and so on and so on..

    Seems each time to be related to the app catalog. I believe this last time (other than Preware & Save/Restore) I didn't have any apps that were homebrew on the device. Unless it had something to do with the fact that I did a repair utility on the phone, or installation of the default Kernel from preware. I wouldn't think that either of those would duplicate any information that might be on another device. I've seen in some other threads that people were having cross-data problems that were believed to have caused this palm profile logging out problem. Maybe related? Maybe Palm app catalog is seeing two devices as the same one and only one device can be logged into the profile at a time?

    Just posting this here as a followup to rwhitby, but we can move it to a new thread if necessary.
    Instead of using repair utilities, just visit the doctor. It's not a repeatable test case unless you do that.

    -- Rod
  7. #1047  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Warthog is not intended to be an end-user kernel. It is an experimentation testbed. Do not use it unless you are performing carefully controlled experiments.

    Especially don't use it if you haven't even exercised the first responsibility of an alpha tester and read the documentation at the Homepage link for the package.

    Failure to do that is simply not acceptable, as it wastes our time answering questions that are anwered there.

    -- Rod
    I did read the documentation before posting here but I didn't understand it that well so that's the reason why I asked here for more information. Sorry if I wasted your time.
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  8.    #1048  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    I did read the documentation before posting here but I didn't understand it that well so that's the reason why I asked here for more information. Sorry if I wasted your time.
    OK, let's focus on what's missing from the doco then. Which part of the doco wasn't clear?

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  9. #1049  
    Quote Originally Posted by hmagoo View Post
    using screenstate 250/720 with compcache 24mb my 'idle' battery usage is pretty crappy +-10% an hour in poor signal areas. I guess i'll try 16mb would that help?.... I hope. Or maybe after everything smooths out you'll be optimizing power usage? It would also be very helpful if the charging mode defaulted to 500mhz or was user defined, but I realize that is more code. I want minimum mhz when the screen is off, but don't enjoy it while charging.
    I did some (very unscientific) testing on some various screenstate options, and found that when i underclocked, my battery was actually worse. I set my Pre to screenstate 125/800, 250/800 and 500/800 and basically say it on the desk and NEVER TOUCHED IT for an hour. obviously, the exact conditions werent the same, but i figured that this was pretty close to being accurate. What I found that with the 500/800, i was losing about 4% per hour. with the 150 and 250, i was losing at least 10% per hour. So, per an article that Rod posted a while back, I think that, for me, it proved that slowing down the CPU, even with the screen off, must be was causing the basic OS and apps to take longer to accomplish their idle-activities due to the slower speed, which caused it to work harder and take more battery.

    still have some other tests to try, but i am sticking with 500/800

    Also, note that I was using the Battery Monitor app, and noticed tried it with both a 1 minute and a 5 minute interval, and i noticed that the 1 minute interval caused the battery to lose about 3-4% more than the 5 minute interval..so, i would stick with AT LEAST 5 minutes if that is what you are using.
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

    Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

    Like any of my work:
  10.    #1050  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Also, note that I was using the Battery Monitor app, and noticed tried it with both a 1 minute and a 5 minute interval, and i noticed that the 1 minute interval caused the battery to lose about 3-4% more than the 5 minute interval..so, i would stick with AT LEAST 5 minutes if that is what you are using.
    Yeah, StoneRhyno found that you had to go out to 15 minute interval if you wanted the effect to be negligible.

    Yet another thing that most people (not referring to you) don't consider when making statements about which kernel is "best" for battery life. You can't measure battery life every second without affecting the battery life by doing those measurements.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  11. #1051  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Also, note that I was using the Battery Monitor app, and noticed tried it with both a 1 minute and a 5 minute interval, and i noticed that the 1 minute interval caused the battery to lose about 3-4% more than the 5 minute interval..so, i would stick with AT LEAST 5 minutes if that is what you are using.
    This is really strange and unfortunately without willing people to do the sort of consumption testing I do I can't get a good idea of consistency across many devices and models. I ran I think at least 6 for up to 24 hour idle tests, keeping all of my radios and synergy and email connections intact, for each interval from 1 second to 10 minute intervals. 1 and 5 second intervals multiplied the consumption compared to the rest and is why I removed them as quickly as I did. The vast majority of the time in all intervals the mA at the time of poll ranges from 2 to 9 mA. I can conclude from this that BM uses probably at most 5mA per hour at 15 second interval. with occasional spikes which result in the mA per hour averages. But here was my results from the remaining intervals:

    interval ---------- mA per hour idle
    15 seconds ----- 23 mA/hr (1150mAh: 2%/hr)
    30 seconds ----- 21 mA/hr
    1 minute -------- 18 mA/hr
    5 minutes ------- 18 mA/hr
    10 minutes ----- 18 mA/hr (1150mAh: ~1.5%/hr)

    Note that each interval the vast majority of tests these numbers were consistent and not averages. In one or two tests per interval I had results within +/- 5mA per hour of these numbers. I've been doing the same testing govnah. So far I have done 4 tests on 2 second interval. My results are so far: 34, 13, 0, 10, 12 mA in addition to the 23mA idle with BM 15 second interval. Prior to testing govnah consumption I ran BM for several hours at 15 second interval to make sure the amount was consistent with the previous tests. Then closed BM, opened govnah and then opened BM. Let it sit idle for several hours and then recorded the mA average. Obviously +34 and +0 are anomalies so I will repeat the test at least 6 more times to see if they are consistent with +10 and +12. If so I can conclude that govnah consumes at 2 second interval between 10 and 12 mA per hour.

    In addition to these tests I also ran consistent tests, BM at 15 second intervals, to get the following:

    20 mA/hr ------ in airplane mode
    100 mA/hr ---- screen on 10% brightness (several hours forced screen on in airplane mode)
    200 mA/hr ---- screen on 100% brightness (several hours forced screen on in airplane mode)
    400 mA/hr ---- 3D gaming (I am still in progress on this one so this may change as more games are tested and the tests repeated)


    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Yeah, StoneRhyno found that you had to go out to 15 minute interval if you wanted the effect to be negligible.

    Yet another thing that most people (not referring to you) don't consider when making statements about which kernel is "best" for battery life. You can't measure battery life every second without affecting the battery life by doing those measurements.

    -- Rod
    This is why I am working on pinpointing consumption rates for many common usage stuff as seen so far in the beginning part of the post. I am have not began testing of talk time. But if spec is 4hr: 287mA.hr, 4.5hr: 255mA/hr, or 5hr: 230mA/hr. I believe the sprint pre spec is 4hr but I'm not certain and haven't looked at the specs for the pre+, pixi and pixi+. In the past I had more estimate values based on percent per hour from user testing done determining how long you could do one task using a fully charge battery to auto off. For example the streaming music test done by one of the big blogs when the extended batteries came out to compare how long between the different capacities including stock.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  12. #1052  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I've updated to the latest 0.4.7 govnah and -43 pre kernel fixed 800 profile with compcache on set to 32MB. No issues at all from normal use stuff that used to cause too many card errors. Performance is as expected. But I continued to want to push it to the limit using the complete instant watch history page on netflix site. Which still results in eventual bogged down to the point of having to pull the battery to recover to normal operation. This has me wondering that if a single app, in this case browser loading a massive page, is outside of what compcache does? Or if setting it to a higher size will remedy this particular case? Or if it simply is just too massive for even compache to help the device handle loading the page? I personally would probably never have any reason to view this page ever from my pre but it was the biggest thing I could think of for a browser test since the browser was one of the biggest causes of TMC for me. Anyone have any thoughts on this before I proceed to increasing the compcache size?
    I wonder, do you have the allow larger image patch installed? Is it possible that the larger images are leading to some sort of memory overflow and that is causing the crashes? I've had similar issues, but I haven't found a pattern to them yet.
  13. #1053  
    Quote Originally Posted by amateurhack View Post
    I wonder, do you have the allow larger image patch installed? Is it possible that the larger images are leading to some sort of memory overflow and that is causing the crashes? I've had similar issues, but I haven't found a pattern to them yet.
    The only browser patch I have is my start page patch which makes the icons small kind of like the 4x4 launcher and increases the number of bookmarks that can be seen in the start page. I tried to load the page with compcache on and set to 128MB and result was the same in fact the test proceeded just like when it was set to 32MB so I'm figuring the page is just too massive for the pre to handle loading it. The history is huge it shows every little thing I watched for like the last two years. Probably well over 1000 maybe even 1000s of items in the list (each TV show episode is a single item along with movie titles).
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  14. #1054  
    removed, figured out the problem
    Last edited by peterlemonjello; 06/21/2010 at 07:28 PM.
  15. #1055  
    I feel like I am witnessing an instantaneous increase in speed/responsiveness going from UK-40 (? I forgot what number the previous one I installed was, but it was in the past couple of days) to UK -46. Could this be because of the added compilation flags? Everything seems a bit smoother.

    Ain't nothin' wrong with that
    Xenoc
    :: Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm Vx -> Samsung SPH-i330 -> Treo 600 -> 650 -> 755p -> Palm Pre (2nd) -> Verizon Pre2::

    If you like electronic music... check me out:
    http://www.xenocmusic.com (needs updates ...)
  16.    #1056  
    Yes.

    -- Rod
  17. sny
    sny is offline
    sny's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    #1057  
    i haven't been reading this thread for a long time - is the min freq < 500 mhz setting working with the screenstate kernel now?
    Last edited by sny; 06/22/2010 at 03:13 AM.
  18.    #1058  
    Quote Originally Posted by sny View Post
    i haven't been reading this threat for a long time - is the min freq < 500 mhz setting working with the screenstate kernel now?
    Screenstate is a governor module which is available in 10 different kernels from WebOS Internals at the moment (1 in the public feed, 9 in the alpha testing feed).

    The screenstate module in the kernels in the testing feed supports a minimum freq < 500MHz. I personally wouldn't set it to less than 500MHz. Read up on "Race to Idle" for why.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  19. #1059  
    I have tried to search around the forums but seem to come up with conflicting information.

    I have UberKernel and Govnah install on my VZW Pre Plus, along with 8 patches.

    1) Do I need to do anything special if VZW provides an over the air update?
    2) I may need to replace my device. Can I simply delete these two files using the "orange" button method?

    Thanks, and sorry if these have been answered previously.
  20. #1060  
    Quote Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
    I have tried to search around the forums but seem to come up with conflicting information.

    I have UberKernel and Govnah install on my VZW Pre Plus, along with 8 patches.

    1) Do I need to do anything special if VZW provides an over the air update?
    2) I may need to replace my device. Can I simply delete these two files using the "orange" button method?

    Thanks, and sorry if these have been answered previously.
    1) Read the first post of this thread.
    2) You should remove them via Preware's uninstall!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions