Page 50 of 145 FirstFirst ... 40454647484950515253545560100 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 2889
Like Tree17Likes
  1.    #981  
    Quote Originally Posted by kdogokc View Post
    I just uninstalled uk-38 w/govnah after my device came to a crawling halt.

I was using screen state 125min & compcache 32mb
    I wonder if everyone who is keen to run at 125MHz has read this:

LessWatts.org - Saving Power on Intel systems with Linux

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    Nice article... I've heard of race to idle before but never saw it explained in that manner.
  3.    #983  
    UberKernel 1.4.x-40 is now in alpha testing, along with Govnah 0.4.6

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    when I was using the conservative governor 250-720, 6% scaling factor, 70 up 30 down and .5 sampling rate with previous kernels my idle usage was about 2% an hour. Right now it is about 7% with screenstate 500-720 and compcache enabled w/16mb. Don't know why, with articles about idle power usage and calculation times, but that is my 2 cents and why I am eager to try out screenstate with 250 min. Going to try the new alpha now.

edit: on the newest kernel and govnah and see no bugs as of yet, thanks for the updates.
    Last edited by hmagoo; 06/18/2010 at 12:02 AM.

-- Rod
    So basically, lower CPU speeds can actually cause the phone to drain more battery since it causes the phone to work longer. This case is multiplied when you throw in the data radios too since they absorb most of the battery life, correct?

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

-- Rod
    uk v-38 & govnah 45 are the most recent in the kernel testing feed that I have loaded
    Quote Originally Posted by kdogokc View Post
    uk v-38 & govnah 45 are the most recent in the kernel testing feed that I have loaded
    I just installed V-40 and Govnah 0.4.6. Worked for me.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Installed latest kernel and govnah.

Screenstate 500/720 seems to be broken. Max feq seems to fixed to 800. Anyone can confirm this?
    did you turn the screen on and off a couple of times?
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Yes I did.. Will try again..

Tried 250/720 = worked
    well, with 0.4.6 and 1.4.1-40 kernel it's real broken for me. Screenstate doesn't work. Locked at minimum in most cases, but did initially have it scaling up when screen was off.

this came apparent after updating govnah. Can't seem to figure out how to get everything working again.

-- Rod
    Note that this works when operating at normal CPU frequencies. Overclocking may not (and from some testing I've done comparing the same kernel for a whole day at 500 and at 800 - 2.6%/hr vs 4.3%/hr) yield the same saving.

When overclocking, the battery heats up faster and a hot battery drain more quickly than a cool one.

So yes, running at 250 will probably consume more than at 500 or 600, but running at 800 will not consume less than running at 500.

In that regard, the screenstate governor (500/800) is probably the best compromise for performance and battery drain.
    Conditions:
    • UberKernel 1.4.1-39
    • Govnah 0.4.6
    • Screenstate 500/800
    • Compcache 16MB
    • Multiple patches installed (available on request)

Issue:
    • CPU stuck on 500MHz regardless of screen's state.
    • Performance 800 would force CPU to 800MHz, but screenstate got stuck
    • Tested over multiple manual and automatic reboot cycles (Preset Reset).

Apparent Fix:
    • Upgrading to UberKernel 1.4.1-40 & Govnah 0.4.7
    • Tested over multiple manual reboot cycles, and one preset reset.

FYI.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by ukabu View Post
    When overclocking, the battery heats up faster and a hot battery drain more quickly than a cool one.
    Agree. But my experience has been that overclocking has marginal impact on CPU temperature. Whereas the CDMA radio has an enormous impact on both battery & cpu temp. So doing things like running pandora while on the touchstone makes the temps rise more than stressing the CPU.
    In that regard, the screenstate governor (500/800) is probably the best compromise for performance and battery drain.
    Agree. But have tested w/Performance 800 as well, and found minimal battery impact. By far the biggest battery impact that I've seen is related more to the CDMA radio. The stronger the signal, the cooler the temps and the longer the battery. Everything else I've seen has minimal effect on temps & battery.

$0.02
    Twitter: dullgeek
  15.    #995  
    It's a good thing that everyone who has an opinion on what best saves battery life are all correct

-- Rod (cause they all have individual usage patterns, signal strength, and CPU variations)
    I know this isn't really the place for this post but I haven't been able to get any response anywhere else (irc, webos-internals wiki, other forum threads):

Could you please change the labeling of the packages in the testing feeds? Because right now in Preware the "Feed" label is the same for packages in the testing feeds and the WebOS-Internals' feeds (i.e. "WebOS-Internals"), and it is very confusing because I can't tell if a package is from the testing feed or not.

THANK YOU!
  17.    #997  
    Quote Originally Posted by HebrewHammer View Post
    I know this isn't really the place for this post but I haven't been able to get any response anywhere else (irc, webos-internals wiki, other forum threads):

Could you please change the labeling of the packages in the testing feeds? Because right now in Preware the "Feed" label is the same for packages in the testing feeds and the WebOS-Internals' feeds (i.e. "WebOS-Internals"), and it is very confusing because I can't tell if a package is from the testing feed or not.

THANK YOU!
    It's not an easy thing to do.

Just disable the feeds you are not interested in to see what packages are in the feeds that you are interested in.

-- Rod
    It's not an easy thing to do.

Just disable the feeds you are not interested in to see what packages are in the feeds that you are interested in.

-- Rod
    Oh, good idea, thanks.

But, just wondering: Will changing the label for the testing feeds be something you may do in the future?

Thanks again!

-- Rod
    Er, just to be sure, we can use Preware update for both, correct? Or do I do a Preware uninstall followed by an install? I know that kernel uninstalls are generally recommended before installation of a new kernel, but I don't think I've ever done a kernel *update* before.
  20.    #1000  
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Er, just to be sure, we can use Preware update for both, correct? Or do I do a Preware uninstall followed by an install? I know that kernel uninstalls are generally recommended before installation of a new kernel, but I don't think I've ever done a kernel *update* before.
    All packages in Preware feeds (including kernels) should be updated with Preware. No need to uninstall first, cause Preware does that automatically for you, as long as the original package was installed using Preware.

-- Rod