Page 5 of 145 FirstFirst 123456789101555105 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I've noticed that this kernel flips back to default state every time there's a luna restart. Is that being done by LunaSysMgr? Apart from firing up cpuscaler or logging into the command line to reset, is there anyway to keep the kernel settings across a luna restart?
    Patch webOS CPU Frequency or Voltage Scaling - WebOS Internals

my phone keeps locking up when I try to unlock it, and then performs a luna restart. I'm going to put it back to the default settings and see if I can figure out what change is causing this (scaling, overclocking, or the new kernel itself)
  2. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    Patch webOS CPU Frequency or Voltage Scaling - WebOS Internals

my phone keeps locking up when I try to unlock it, and then performs a luna restart. I'm going to put it back to the default settings and see if I can figure out what change is causing this (scaling, overclocking, or the new kernel itself)
    With regular Preware, I used to have the unlock/luna restart problem all the time (at least once a day). I removed it, and installed Preware-alpha, and I have only had the unlock/luna restart happen once, yesterday, so maybe there is some correlation with the new kernel, which I installed yesterday...
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by steiale View Post
    You can use the cpuscaler from number1pete. Works great.. I do the same..
    just updated CPUScalerUltimate to use the cpu temperature sensor built into Uber-Kernel.

the new version is CPUScalerUltimate 2.1.2

BTW, uber-kernel running great on my phone.

im currently looking into conservative governor mods.

thanks,

number1pete
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

CPUScaling app L337Tech post

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The uber-kernel is now in the testing feed. It defaults to stock governor and frequencies.

It's only there for people who:

a) know how to add the testing feed without asking here
    b) are willing to have their warranty voided
    c) know how to control governor parameters from the Linux command line

This is not an announcement of an end-user installable item. It's being put in the feed to get a wider testing of the packaging by bona-fide kernel developers. If you install it, and don't do anything else, it will operate identically to the stock palm kernel with respect to governors and frequencies, so it is fail-safe out of the box. It includes the additional OPP points (courtesy of unixpsycho, who is working on this kernel), all governors compiled in (but not enabled by default), and the internal CPU temperature sensor.

Install it with Preware. Uninstall it using orange+tap. Control it from the command line.

For GPL compliance, the source level patches are at git.webos-internals.org Git - kernels/patches.git/tree and they apply against the relevant kernel source code (plus patches) for Palm for the precise webOS version listed in the kernel package.

For security transparency, the build script is at git.webos-internals.org Git - preware/build.git/blob - testing/uber-kernel-pre/Makefile (which includes other makefile fragments from that same git repo, and uses a toolchain built in that same repo). We encourage anyone concerned about security to build their own kernel to verify the build procedure.

-- Rod
    uninstalling with orange+tap did not work for me.....the icon went away but nothing really happened and i still had all the kernel modifiers working such as 720--800mhz frequencies, cpu sensor, and extra governors. I rebooted the phone to make sure that wouldn't fix it.

Do you know what went wrong?

thanks,

number1pete
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

CPUScaling app L337Tech post

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
  5. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    @number1pete: the temperature is still reported as 'Battery temp' in 2.1.2, is that just an oversight?
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    With regular Preware, I used to have the unlock/luna restart problem all the time (at least once a day). I removed it, and installed Preware-alpha, and I have only had the unlock/luna restart happen once, yesterday, so maybe there is some correlation with the new kernel, which I installed yesterday...
    actually, I installed preware and the kernel at the same time, so I guess it could be either.

I can't imagine preware being the cause. it doesn't run in the background does it? the only thing that does is the package manager service, which doesn't really do anything and is still present with preware alpha. I will give it a shot though if I come to the conclusion that the kernel is not the problem.
    I already have scripts in /etc/event.d that attempt to keep the settings sticky. But they're not working. Every time I reboot, the phone goes into 800MHz momentarily and then goes back into 500MHz when Luna starts. Additionally if I do a luna restart (even though I have the scripts in /etc/event.d) it immediately goes back to 500MHz.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  8. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    actually, I installed preware and the kernel at the same time, so I guess it could be either.

I can't imagine preware being the cause. it doesn't run in the background does it? the only thing that does is the package manager service, which doesn't really do anything and is still present with preware alpha. I will give it a shot though if I come to the conclusion that the kernel is not the problem.
    I didn't think it could be the problem, but weeks ago I removed Preware and the service, and the restarts stopped completely. Preware alpha does not use an external service, it is all self contained, and does not seem to exhibit the same issues. I'd say give it a try...
    Currently scaling at fixed 800 to test...unbelievable reboot time!!! (sorry gang...I guess I am more of an experimenter...nothing ventured...nothing gained!) TT
    I just took the plunge and installed the Uber kernel, scaling between 500 and 800MHz, Govnah, and Preware Alpha. So far, for the first few hours, everything is working great.

Kudos to the WebOS Internals team.
    I've been using the Uber Kernel and Govnah with CPUScaler Ultimate for the past 24 hours. Works like a charm. Loving it..
  12. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    I take it there is no way to get this running on Verizon Pre Plus untilwe get webOS 1.4.1?
  13.    #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    just updated CPUScalerUltimate to use the cpu temperature sensor built into Uber-Kernel.

the new version is CPUScalerUltimate 2.1.2

BTW, uber-kernel running great on my phone.

im currently looking into conservative governor mods.

thanks,

number1pete
    Great to see the open standards for collaboration pay off yet again.

Glad you're enjoying the Uber-Kernel.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  14.    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    I take it there is no way to get this running on Verizon Pre Plus untilwe get webOS 1.4.1?
    Unfortunately, that is correct. Sorry about that, but it's not time-efficient for us to support 1.4.0 as well in this alpha testing period.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  15.    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    uninstalling with orange+tap did not work for me.....the icon went away but nothing really happened and i still had all the kernel modifiers working such as 720--800mhz frequencies, cpu sensor, and extra governors. I rebooted the phone to make sure that wouldn't fix it.

Do you know what went wrong?
    Yes, I forgot that the orange+tap support is only installed correctly if you use Preware Alpha or palm-install or WOSQI to install the kernel.

We're looking at the final few polishes before we promote Preware Alpha to become the next version of Preware.

Note that the kernel will uninstall fine with Preware or WOSQI, but orange+tap will not work unless installed with Preware Alpha or palm-install or WOSQI. So please use the Remove button in Preware if you're using Preware to install the kernel.

We'll have all this sorted out before we exit alpha testing of course

-- Rod
  16. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Understandable about not supporting 1.4.0 at this time, but certainly looking forward to the time when I can install it. In the mean time, do you think installing Super Prekernel now will cause any issues with Uber kernel down the road? Or is Super Prekernel one of the apps/patches the modifies the LunaSysManager, etc, creating install failures later with Uber?
    Super Prekernal is built based on 1.40 I think so it should work fine for you. I had it and simply uninstalled it using Preware Alpha and was able to install the Uber Kernel with no issues at all.
  18.    #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    Understandable about not supporting 1.4.0 at this time, but certainly looking forward to the time when I can install it. In the mean time, do you think installing Super Prekernel now will cause any issues with Uber kernel down the road? Or is Super Prekernel one of the apps/patches the modifies the LunaSysManager, etc, creating install failures later with Uber?
    If you're running webOS 1.4.0, then Super PreKernel is a suitable alternative (since it includes a 1.4.0 kernel build done by Marco last month). Just be careful to correctly uninstall it according to the author's instructions before any webOS update.

Note that it doesn't have the internal CPU temperature patch included - it can probably be back-ported to the 1.4.0 kernel source, but we haven't tried.

Uber-Kernel works like AUPT as far as webOS updates go - you can leave it installed, and it will have a placeholder until we get the updated kernel source code from Palm.

-- Rod
    Rod, I have looked but haven't found anything.

I installed Govnah... temp monitoring is working well. I have CPUscalerultimate installed and it has been working fine, but I can't seem to figure out how to get governor options going in govnah.

I had been running 500-800 and switched to 250-800 after installing uber kernel. I have noticed that my time in state at 250 and 500 isn't as much as it was previously.

So... where do I find the governor options you have mentioned in this thread?

Thanks in advance.

BTW... did you ever get the new server board up and running?
  20. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Very excited about Uberkernel, and glad to know Super Prekernel is a good option until then. You guys are great on so many levels. I will be donating in the next few days. I've been preaching the good word that is Precentral, Preware, etc, far and wide on the web, hoping to reach those who are walking the dark path that is a stock Pre. Thanks again!