Page 49 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3944454647484950515253545999 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hmagoo View Post
    using 1.4.1-39 according to the UK "app" and my pre doesn't scale below 500MHZ using the screenstate set at 250 or 125 for a minimum. verified by checking the cpu time ouput on the command line.
    Code:
    800000 0
    720000 53124
    600000 0
    550000 0
    500000 16725
    250000 0
    125000 0
    hmm. when I tested the patch it worked. Must not have made it into the build somehow.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    hmm. when I tested the patch it worked. Must not have made it into the build somehow.
    Marco, did you see my question above re: version numbers? Confused.

P.S. Also seeing the same behavior that hmagoo just reported.
    I'm alpha testing UberKernel 1.4.x-39 and Govnah 0.4.5. Settings are Screenstate 500/800, compcache enabled with 48mb compcache memlimit and I still get the TMC error! But only after I worked up to 34 cards!!!!!
    And after I dismissed the TMC error all 34 of the open cards continued to run smoothly. I'm very impressed to say the least.

CPU scaling below 500 also did not work for me.

Another Issue - I installed .39 today, enabled CP, set mem to 16MB, and placed it on my touchstone for 30 minutes. I then came back and picked it up and I have never felt it as hot before. Govnah reported 45 deg C. With the release version, I have never been above 38. Might also have to do with how low I have to set screen brightness to get it to drop to 500. Single digits now it seems.

Uninstalled. Now back on stable version. Just an FYI.

Great work BTW! Love the stable version.
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Marco, did you see my question above re: version numbers? Confused.

P.S. Also seeing the same behavior that hmagoo just reported.
    1.4.1-39 is the correct version for webOS 1.4.1.x.
    Live free or DIE!
    ok... let me post this since i see some are not reading previous posts.

i see the screenstate bug. no need to keep posting about it.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    ok... let me post this since i see some are not reading previous posts.

i see the screenstate bug. no need to keep posting about it.
    Sorry...although 48 pages of previous posts are somewhat intimidating.

BTW, I QR decoded your avatar by taking a picture of my monitor with my Pre...and it actually worked. May be the first time I have actually used that program.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    I'm alpha testing UberKernel 1.4.x-39 and Govnah 0.4.5. Settings are Screenstate 500/800, compcache enabled with 48mb compcache memlimit and I still get the TMC error! But only after I worked up to 34 cards!!!!!
    And after I dismissed the TMC error all 34 of the open cards continued to run smoothly. I'm very impressed to say the least.
    Ha!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by circuitjc View Post
    I updated to -37 and Govnah 0.4.5. After a full reboot I lose touch screen response with compache enabled on my usual conservative, 500-800 profile. I have had this repeat after a PreSet reset last night as well. Power + wiggle x 3 reboots.

I don't have much time right now but if you need more info ask and I will provide it as soon as I can.
    If I enable compache I will lose touch screen respose within an hour every time. I have only tried the conservative gov as stated before. I will try some others throughout the day.

I use Ampache Mobile and it is having occational problems with buffering after the update as well.

Before UberKernal I did have SuperPreKernal installed and uninstalled it as per the proper instructions. I have since installed the default Palm recovery kernal and then have just updated Uberkernal since that was available in Preware.

Anything else you need and/or want me to try?

When I get home tonight I will instal the recovery kernal again then Uberkernal and see what happens.
    This time around I did not run No-Doze for WebOS and everything seems to be running fine.

Looks like I need to find another method to keep my screen on.
    So I updated Uberkernal to -39 and everything is back to normal for me. Strange but I am not complaining. When I updated to -37 something must have gone wrong that was fixed with the next update.

Just wanted to report that my issues are gone. I have been running my usual conservative gov with compache enabled (16 MB) for the last 6 hours. 4 hours of which were with No-Doze, Govnah, JStop, and Ampache running non-stop with no issues.
    Bell Palm Pre - The longer I have it the more I do with it.
    Ok sorry to take this thread off topic, but is there a way to know if super kernel left things on my phone patched? Thanks.
  11.    #971  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fountainhead View Post
    Hi Rod,

Sorry if I offended, I was merely using "in-house" instead of saying "beta builds that were tested by the regular crew that are part of the defacto beta testing team" or something like that.

Thanks for your and the testing team's hard work. I appreciate it.
    No offence taken. Sorry if it came across that way.

It is true that not every version number makes it to the alpha testing feeds. I subscribe to the view that numbers are cheap, so I have no qualms in incrementing them for development purposes when we have two people building stuff directly out of the repo and collaborating before the alpha release.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  12.    #972  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamhandman View Post
    Ok sorry to take this thread off topic, but is there a way to know if super kernel left things on my phone patched? Thanks.
    Hopefully someone else can help you there.

I've personally decided that my response to any question about how to clean up after SuperPreKernel is simply going to involve a recommendation to backup your data and visit the webOS Doctor.

I was vilified back when SPK was released and I made every attempt to give preventative technical advice to the author and the public, so I'm not really incentivised to help now if no-one took that advice and are now experiencing the exact problems that I predicted.

Unfortunately, there will be people who have unwittingly been caught in the middle, and I would love to help those people, but I simply cannot spare the time to repeat the cure over and over again. I'm hoping that other experienced users in the community can help out there.

I really do want to keep threads in the WebOS Internals developer forum area free of SuperPreKernel cleanup activities too ...

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Yes, a very bad idea.

A recovery kernel is not how you correctly uninstall a previous overclocking solution.

Your LunaSysMgr binary (among other things) is likely to still be patched, along with other files in /etc/event.d (depending on when you installed SPK) and if it is a patched webOS 1.4.0 version it will be stopping your Universal Search from workin. If you leave it like that for the next webOS version, all bets are off on what might happen.

-- Rod
    I'm going to assume if SPK was uninstalled prior to updating from 1.4.0 to the next version that nothing is left goofed up. Outside of that I'm curious as well to know the answer to your question jamhandman. I knew that the universal search thing had to do with something other than a bug or patches just had no clue how to pinpoint the issue. I also wonder how many other recent issues are cause by the vary thing you describe Rod. It seems like to me one of those perfect scenario for unrelated code causing other things to not function properly even the strange such and such patch appearing to cause problems with unrelated stuff but the problem goes away when the patch is removed.

This time around I did not run No-Doze for WebOS and everything seems to be running fine.

Looks like I need to find another method to keep my screen on.

I must have forgotten or overlooked a previous post about no-doze. I use it for keeping the screen on in certain situations but if there is something I should be aware of about it that would want me to seek an alternative to keeping the screen on I will look into alternatives. I don't use it too often. Maybe adding 24 hours or something crazy like that to my standby times deluxe patch so all that has to be done is choose that option for a keep the screen on solution?
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  14.    #974  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Yeah, F102 and F104 remove the TMC error triggering code altogether.

UberKernel just adds your free swap space (hopefully fast swap on compcache) into the formula instead of turning the TMC off completely.

If someone still has a useable responsive device and gets a TMC error with UberKernel -39 or later at a point where they could still get good responsiveness from the 30+ cards they have open, please let me now

-- Rod
  15.    #975  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I'm going to assume if SPK was uninstalled prior to updating from 1.4.0 to the next version that nothing is left goofed up. Outside of that I'm curious as well to know the answer to your question jamhandman. I knew that the universal search thing had to do with something other than a bug or patches just had no clue how to pinpoint the issue. I also wonder how many other recent issues are cause by the vary thing you describe Rod. It seems like to me one of those perfect scenario for unrelated code causing other things to not function properly even the strange such and such patch appearing to cause problems with unrelated stuff but the problem goes away when the patch is removed.
    There is another thread somewhere where a user pretty much proved that uninstalling SPK after an OTA update caused the universal search problems due to the patched webOS 1.4.0 LunaSysMgr binary being naively put back over the top of the true webOS 1.4.1 binary (just like I predicted it would be). That thread also has detailed instructions on how to check the md5sums of the relevant files. A search through my posts and the term "md5sum" should find it.

The 7 principles of kernel design and packaging (http://bit.ly/next-gen-kernels) are there for a reason, and people ignore them at their own peril.

I would appreciate it if someone can please find the thread, post a link to it here, and then direct all further discussion about correctly uninstalling SPK to the other thread. Thanks.

-- Rod
    thanks for the information I found that the webos repair utility might help me know the state of my phone. Thanks for the help. Uber kernal rocks.

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ty-v2-1-a.html
  17.    #977  
    thanks for the information I found that the webos repair utility might help me know the state of my phone. Thanks for the help. Uber kernal rocks.

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ty-v2-1-a.html
    Last time I checked, the WebOS Repair Utility did not check the state of the LunaSysMgr binary and files in /etc/event.d, but it may well have been updated since then to do so, so you should verify that first.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    There is another thread somewhere where a user pretty much proved that uninstalling SPK after an OTA update caused the universal search problems due to the patched webOS 1.4.0 LunaSysMgr binary being naively put back over the top of the true webOS 1.4.1 binary (just like I predicted it would be). That thread also has detailed instructions on how to check the md5sums of the relevant files. A search through my posts and the term "md5sum" should find it.

The 7 principles of kernel design and packaging (http://bit.ly/next-gen-kernels) are there for a reason, and people ignore them at their own peril.

I would appreciate it if someone can please find the thread, post a link to it here, and then direct all further discussion about correctly uninstalling SPK to the other thread. Thanks.

-- Rod

This might be the thread you are after http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...al-search.html
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I just uninstalled uk-38 w/govnah after my device came to a crawling halt.

I was using screen state 125min & compcache 32mb
  20.    #980  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    This might be the thread you are after http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...al-search.html
    Yep, that's the one. There were at least four people who confirmed the failure case.

-- Rod