Page 47 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3742434445464748495051525797 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
  1.    #921  
    Quote Originally Posted by rpankoe View Post
    Running these kernels and this is the third time I've had this happen.. All of a sudden the phone says it's logged out of the palm profile and needs to reset. When it comes back up, all the patches still appear applied, but all apps are GONE. My palm profile appears to be wiped clear.
    Note that it's the Palm server which determines whether you are logged into the profile or not.

Homebrew apps can't change this as far as I know, and there is definitely no way that an app on the device can change what data is in your Palm profile.

Please let us know if you find a repeatable test case, cause this seems to be randomly happening to all sorts of people and no-one can repeat it yet.

-- Rod
  2.    #922  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedill24 View Post
    I've had Govnah & Uberkernal installed for a while. I just installed Govnah v.0.4.5. Don't have any other OC kernals installed. Never installed the F102 or 104 kernals.

When I click on Governor and set it to Screenstate and click 'Apply Settings' every seems fine.

When I set Compcache enabled to True and click Apply Settings I get the following error:

insmod: can't read
    '/lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/xvmalloc.ko': No such file or directory

I get this regardless of memlimit setting as I've tried them all. I did a Luna restart to see if that would help but it did not. Did I miss something? I just checked Preware to see if there is an updated Uberkernal or Govnah and it shows there is not.

Thanks for the help.
    You need to be alpha testing UberKernel 1.4.x-37 or later to use that option.

-- Rod
    Hi Rod (anyone else) --

I recently (finally) enabled the Kernel testing feed (after having the regular webos-internals testing feed up for some time now...).

One thing occurred to me yesterday after I finished installing UK 1.4.1-37. I realized for the first time that the current 'stable' version of my "Testing / Alpha" apps and Kernels no longer appear in the Preware lists when the Testing feeds are enabled...

What do I do if I want to revert back to the stable release mainstream versions of the stuff I'm currently running as alpha (Govnah, Kernel, Preware?...).

I don't think I've ever seen this question posed before (though, I'm sure it has been), and I'm a pretty religious thread-follower, to my productivity detriment on many occasions...

Can I literally just:?

• Uninstall the Alpha apps and Kernels with Preware.
    • Open Preware.
    • Manage Feeds.
    • Turn OFF "Testing Feeds"
    • Update Feeds
    • See stable versions of all the stuff I was running from Testing feeds...
    • Install stable versions

I haven't actually had time to test this theory, but figured I'd post here and edit with any corrections people provide.

Now I don't think I'll jump off the alpha train any time soon, but it's always good to have the emergency recovery plan in place in case something goes awry!

Thanks again to everyone here for all the hard work.
    Last edited by greenawayj; 06/16/2010 at 10:23 PM.
    Just here to post my experiences. This is probably not much help to webos internal alpha testers, just for other users.

-Im a Pre owner from day one.had any problems.
    -Installed the .sh 800mhz kernel that Unixpsycho released a long time ago. Loved it, never
    -Installed Uberkernal when it was first released (with govnah), Seemed to me to be the same as the .sh 800mhz kernel. The added control with govnah and it being an updatable .ipk file was the main reason for my switch. Enjoyed this, never any real problems.
    -Installed F102 yesterday afternoon. I like the idea of not have anymore TMC errors, but this kernel just wasn't that great for me. My battery drain was noticably worse. The data connection also seemed to be interrupted frequently on this kernel. I cant say 100% causality from the kernel, but it wasnt working for me. I wasnt running a bunch of programs just because I could either. Not only that, but I swear the Uberkernel made it run more efficiently and I hardly ever got the TMC errors when I was using that kernel anyways.
    -Currently back on stock 500mhz kernel, will probably go back to Uberkernel after a few days.

Not trying to start a war over what is the best kernel. Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

Summary: The kernels definitely work for improving speed. Its obvious. Just stick with the Preware releases if you want smooth-sailing.
    Quote Originally Posted by EVOandBACK View Post
    Not trying to start a war over what is the best kernel. Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.
    You have missed the point of the kernals. There is no chance of starting a war because the kernals are developed by the same team, they are just experimented with different aspects and are aimed at different users.
    Well, I knew someone would comment. I tried to post that so you didnt have to mention it for the millionth time, but I guess its inevitable.
    Quote Originally Posted by EVOandBACK View Post
    Well, I knew someone would comment. I tried to post that so you didnt have to mention it for the millionth time, but I guess its inevitable.
    I'll pm you so the thread can be maintained as a testing feedback thread.
  8.    #928  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Hi Rod (anyone else) --

I recently (finally) enabled the Kernel testing feed (after having the regular webos-internals testing feed up for some time now...).

One thing occurred to me yesterday after I finished installing UK 1.4.1-37. I realized for the first time that the current 'stable' version of my "Testing / Alpha" apps and Kernels no longer appear in the Preware lists when the Testing feeds are enabled...

What do I do if I want to revert back to the stable release mainstream versions of the stuff I'm currently running as alpha (Govnah, Kernel, Preware?...).

I don't think I've ever seen this question posed before (though, I'm sure it has been), and I'm a pretty religious thread-follower, to my productivity detriment on many occasions...

Can I literally just:?

• Uninstall the Alpha app with Opt-tap-delete. Or in the case of Kernels install the current "Palm Kernel" over the alpha kernel.
    • Open Preware.
    • Manage Feeds.
    • Turn OFF "Testing Feeds"
    • Update Feeds
    • See stable versions of all the stuff I was running from Testing feeds...
    • Install stable versions

I haven't actually had time to test this theory, but figured I'd post here and edit with any corrections people provide.

Now I don't think I'll jump off the alpha train any time soon, but it's always good to have the emergency recovery plan in place in case something goes awry!

Thanks again to everyone here for all the hard work.
    1) Always use Preware to uninstall or upgrade UberKernel. Other options may work, but this is the one that is guaranteed to work. Don't use a last-resort recovery option as your normal operating procedure

The rest of the steps are correct.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I updated to -37 and Govnah 0.4.5. After a full reboot I lose touch screen response with compache enabled on my usual conservative, 500-800 profile. I have had this repeat after a PreSet reset last night as well. Power + wiggle x 3 reboots.

I don't have much time right now but if you need more info ask and I will provide it as soon as I can.
  10.    #930  
    Quote Originally Posted by circuitjc View Post
    I updated to -37 and Govnah 0.4.5. After a full reboot I lose touch screen response with compache enabled on my usual conservative, 500-800 profile. I have had this repeat after a PreSet reset last night as well. Power + wiggle x 3 reboots.

I don't have much time right now but if you need more info ask and I will provide it as soon as I can.
    Can you repeat the problem on cue? Does it occur with other governor settings?

Have you ever had any other kernel or overclocking solution installed on that device other than UberKernel?

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Hey guys, I have a specific problem/question...
    Originally I ran UK, and then I wanted to switch to F102, which I did, but....
    instead in Uninstalling UK first & then putting on the Palm kernel, I just installed the Palm Kernel first, rebooted & then Uninstalled UK. After that I then installed F102...
    Everything seems to be running fine etc... But is there something that is screwd up that will show up after 1.4.5 comes?
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  12.    #932  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    Hey guys, I have a specific problem/question...
    Originally I ran UK, and then I wanted to switch to F102, which I did, but....
    instead in Uninstalling UK first & then putting on the Palm kernel, I just installed the Palm Kernel first, rebooted & then Uninstalled UK. After that I then installed F102...
    Everything seems to be running fine etc... But is there something that is screwd up that will show up after 1.4.5 comes?
    Well, you need to uninstall F102 before 1.4.5 anyway. Other than that, you're fine. Just make sure you uninstall it properly (using Preware). Don't just overwrite it with the Palm kernel, or you will get burnt like http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2511826

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Thanks again for all the Help Rod, this community is the best... The sheep & robot can sell whatever they want, but they will never have the solidarity like our users.
    Last edited by mrkalel; 06/17/2010 at 08:37 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Can you repeat the problem on cue? Does it occur with other governor settings?

Have you ever had any other kernel or overclocking solution installed on that device other than UberKernel?

-- Rod
    If I enable compache I will lose touch screen respose within an hour every time. I have only tried the conservative gov as stated before. I will try some others throughout the day.

I use Ampache Mobile and it is having occational problems with buffering after the update as well.

Before UberKernal I did have SuperPreKernal installed and uninstalled it as per the proper instructions. I have since installed the default Palm recovery kernal and then have just updated Uberkernal since that was available in Preware.

Anything else you need and/or want me to try?

When I get home tonight I will instal the recovery kernal again then Uberkernal and see what happens.
    Hey, I'm alpha testing UberKernel 1.4.x-38 (previously 1.4.x-37) and Govnah 0.4.5, when I set compcache to true I will sometimes get "swapon: cannot stat /dev/ramzswap0: No such file or directory"
    I swear it worked at least once before I restarted my device while still on 1.4.x-37 if I recall correctly.
    Last edited by mjkjr; 06/17/2010 at 09:09 AM.
  16.    #936  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Hey, I'm alpha testing UberKernel 1.4.x-38 (previously 1.4.x-37) and Govnah 0.4.5, when I set compcache to true I will sometimes get "swapon: cannot stat /dev/ramzswap0: No such file or directory"
    I swear it worked at least once before I restarted my device while still on 1.4.x-37 if I recall correctly.
    Yep, that's the timing issue I've referred to elsewhere.

Disable compcache, apply settings, re-enable compcache, apply settings. It should pretty much always work the second time.

-- Rod
  17.    #937  
    I'm currently building a Pixi version of UberKernel with compcache modules and the lowmemnotify threshold formula adjustment. It'll be in the kernel testing feed soon (look for UberKernel 1.4.x-39).

Note that there is no overclocking solution available for the Pixi, so please don't ask about that. The answer is "No, we don't know how to overclock Pixi's and we haven't found anyone else on the internet who knows how to either".

Note that the Govnah support for it is not fully there yet governor-wise (the Pixi has a different set of governors available, with a whole lot of new parameters), but the compcache enabling should work.

Make sure you read and agree to http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2511506 before trying it, cause it's bleeding edge stuff.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Tried Palm Default profile and the screen response became random presses any time I touched it. About to do a full reboot and if it keeps doing it then recovery kernal time. Something is wrong somewhere in my phone.

I am doing this while mobile and working.
  19.    #939  
    Quote Originally Posted by circuitjc View Post
    Before UberKernal I did have SuperPreKernal installed and uninstalled it as per the proper instructions. I have since installed the default Palm recovery kernal and then have just updated Uberkernal since that was available in Preware.
    Since the last couple of messes I've helped people clean up as a result of SuperPreKernel, I'm now advising anyone who has ever had it on their device to do a full webOS Doctor before using UberKernel.

All the problems I (at the time of the SPK release, in private and then in public) predicted would happen as a result of the SPK author not heeding my advice to apply the 7 principles of kernel design and packaging (http://bit.ly/next-gen-kernels) are now affecting people who have updated to webOS 1.4.1 and then uninstalled SPK, leaving a half-webOS 1.4.0 half-webOS 1.4.1 mess on their device. And it's only going to get worse for those people who leave it installed when the impending next webOS update drops ...

-- Rod
    I had the Super Kernel installed, I uninstalled it by installing the Palm Default Kernal in Preware.... what that a bad idea?

UberKernel has been working great for me. :^D