Page 46 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3641424344454647484950515696 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 920 of 2889
Like Tree17Likes
  1.    #901  
    Anyone who is alpha testing UberKernel 1.4.x-37, please update to Govnah 0.4.5 because it will highlight any errors in inserting the kernel module and enabling the compressed swap.

    If you get an error, then disable compcache and try to enable it again. There's a timing problem in there for the first time it seems and Govnah 0.4.5 while alert you to it.

    Please re-run any tests after Govnah 0.4.5 has been used to enable compcache.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  2. #902  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If all the rest are zeros, then it it not using compcache for swap. It seems the modules are loaded, but have not been activated for swap usage.

    What is the output of "swapon -s" ?

    -- Rod
    Entered that command via Terminal, and it just shows:

    FilenameTypeSizeUsedPriority
  3.    #903  
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrDrgn View Post
    Entered that command via Terminal, and it just shows:

    FilenameTypeSizeUsedPriority
    OK, that means there is no swap area enabled. That is not good.

    Please use Govnah 0.4.5, which can detect and report an error when this happens. If the error happens, disable compcache, apply the settings, then enable compcache and re-apply the settings.

    Please report your results again once the swap area has been properly enabled.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  4. #904  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    OK, that means there is no swap area enabled. That is not good.

    Please use Govnah 0.4.5, which can detect and report an error when this happens. If the error happens, disable compcache, apply the settings, then enable compcache and re-apply the settings.

    Please report your results again once the swap area has been properly enabled.

    -- Rod
    Updated to Govnah 0.4.5. Disabled and re-enabled compcache. From swapon -s command, now I get this in Terminal (too bad the spacing and column line ups in Terminal don't work right):

    FilenameTypeSizeUsedPriority
    /dev/ramzswap0
    partition131064473720

    The cat /proc/ramzswap comamnd is producing non-zero numbers now below the disksize and memlimit lines. So, it looks like it's working now.

    Thanks!
  5. #905  
    I'm experimenting w/compcache in UK 1.4.1-37 on my pre even though I had some difficulties running F102 & F104. I see that Govnah 0.4.5 has some tweakability that neither of the F* kernels had. So maybe I can take advantage of this by trying different options.

    Some questions:
    1. What sizes were used for "COMPCACHE MEMLIMIT" in F102 & F104? I'd like to see if I can replicate the problems that I was having in the F* kernels in UK. And then if I can, then figure out what settings avoid them.
    2. It appears that I have to disable compcache so that the swapoff can complete and free up all pages stored in ramzswap, before I can make changes to the memlimit and re-apply them. Is that right?

    Thanks.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  6.    #906  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I'm experimenting w/compcache in UK 1.4.1-37 on my pre even though I had some difficulties running F102 & F104. I see that Govnah 0.4.5 has some tweakability that neither of the F* kernels had. So maybe I can take advantage of this by trying different options.

    Some questions:
    1. What sizes were used for "COMPCACHE MEMLIMIT" in F102 & F104? I'd like to see if I can replicate the problems that I was having in the F* kernels in UK. And then if I can, then figure out what settings avoid them.
    2. It appears that I have to disable compcache so that the swapoff can complete and free up all pages stored in ramzswap, before I can make changes to the memlimit and re-apply them. Is that right?

    Thanks.
    1) Don't know - Marco will need to answer that one. Note that bigger is not necessarily better for this parameter, since the amount you specify here is removed from your normal memory space. So if you choose 128MB on a normal non-Plus Palm Pre, it's not going to work too well.

    2) That is correct. You can only change the memlimit when the kernel module is being loaded, so you have to unload it first. A future version of Govnah will do this more elegantly. The current alpha version is my javascript handiwork, and has not had the benefit of Brandon (oil) making it nice and useable

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  7. #907  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    1) Don't know - Marco will need to answer that one.
    20Meg:
    Quote Originally Posted by /etc/event.d/compcache
    # -*- mode: shell-script; -*-
    start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]
    console none
    script
    swapoff -a
    insmod /media/cryptofs/apps/com.unixpsycho.kernel/xvmalloc.ko
    insmod /media/cryptofs/apps/com.unixpsycho.kernel/ramzswap.ko memlimit_kb=20240 backing_swap=/dev/mapper/store-swap
    sleep 3
    swapon /dev/ramzswap0 -p 1
    end script
  8. #908  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    1. What sizes were used for "COMPCACHE MEMLIMIT" in F102 & F104? I'd like to see if I can replicate the problems that I was having in the F* kernels in UK. And then if I can, then figure out what settings avoid them.
    F102 uses 20M. See my reply to Rod's reply to you.

    I can't speak on F104 as I don't use it (nor do I use UK). I disagree with an embedded device *requiring* Userland utilities in order to function. Whether it be a phone, a Tivo, a router, a printer, a watch, etc., an embedded (Linux) device should just power on and work. No user intervention required.

    Sorry, had to...


    M.
  9.    #909  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I disagree with an embedded device *requiring* Userland utilities in order to function. Whether it be a phone, a Tivo, a router, a printer, a watch, etc., an embedded (Linux) device should just power on and work. No user intervention required.
    I fully agree. If you are able to source a kernel which is hard-coded to do exactly what you want it to do in all circumstances, then you should use it.

    Note that being able to function identically to the default Palm kernel without any userspace intervention is a key requirement for the UberKernel. But I suspect your particular definition of "function" is different to Palm's

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  10. rpankoe's Avatar
    Posts
    287 Posts
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    #910  
    Running these kernels and this is the third time I've had this happen.. All of a sudden the phone says it's logged out of the palm profile and needs to reset. When it comes back up, all the patches still appear applied, but all apps are GONE. My palm profile appears to be wiped clear.
  11. #911  
    Quote Originally Posted by rpankoe View Post
    Running these kernels and this is the third time I've had this happen.. All of a sudden the phone says it's logged out of the palm profile and needs to reset. When it comes back up, all the patches still appear applied, but all apps are GONE. My palm profile appears to be wiped clear.
    that has never happened to me, very weird and sucks
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  12. #912  
    Quote Originally Posted by rpankoe View Post
    Running these kernels and this is the third time I've had this happen.. All of a sudden the phone says it's logged out of the palm profile and needs to reset. When it comes back up, all the patches still appear applied, but all apps are GONE. My palm profile appears to be wiped clear.
    I'm not totally sure I even understand what you're describing, but I've never had anything even close to this happen to me.

    Is your phone doinf it's nightly backups? Check Palm's Backup app. See when the last backup time was. Try logging into your profile there too. That maybe some of the problem.


    M.
  13. #913  
    Quote Originally Posted by rpankoe View Post
    Running these kernels and this is the third time I've had this happen.. All of a sudden the phone says it's logged out of the palm profile and needs to reset. When it comes back up, all the patches still appear applied, but all apps are GONE. My palm profile appears to be wiped clear.
    Sounds like you're triggering a partial erase somehow.
    In my opinion it looks like you have three options.
    Uninstall the kernals to see if your problems go.
    Keep the kernal and see if you can find what causes it.
    Doctor and then reinstall the kernal to see if that solves it.

    Keep in mind that it could be something unrelated to the kernal.
  14. rpankoe's Avatar
    Posts
    287 Posts
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    #914  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I'm not totally sure I even understand what you're describing, but I've never had anything even close to this happen to me.

    Is your phone doinf it's nightly backups? Check Palm's Backup app. See when the last backup time was. Try logging into your profile there too. That maybe some of the problem.


    M.
    Yeah, it does the backups. I know, very odd.. and yes, does suck..
  15. #915  
    Quote Originally Posted by rpankoe View Post
    Yeah, it does the backups. I know, very odd.. and yes, does suck..

    Are you able to login to your Palm Profile there?


    M.
  16. rpankoe's Avatar
    Posts
    287 Posts
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    #916  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Are you able to login to your Palm Profile there?


    M.
    It logs itself back into the palm profile on its own, just everything's gone. i think it's logging back into palm profile anyway.
    Last edited by rpankoe; 06/16/2010 at 04:21 PM.
  17. #917  
    Quote Originally Posted by rpankoe View Post
    It logs itself back into the palm profile on its own, just everything's gone. i think it's logging back into palm profile anyway.

    That's cool, but I'm asking if you go to the Backup App, can you manually login to you profile there?

    M.
  18. rpankoe's Avatar
    Posts
    287 Posts
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    #918  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    That's cool, but I'm asking if you go to the Backup App, can you manually login to you profile there?

    M.
    Yes, and it shows last backup yesterday at 1624, but nothing came up to restore when the phone came back up. PM me if you have any suggestions so that I don't hijack this thread. Thanks.

    Odd thing was that not everything was missing though.. All of my email accounts, emails, memos, contacts, patches, and everything else is STILL ON THE PHONE! All the launcher pages are blank however except for the default palm stuff. None of the palm catalog stuff in there now and non of the stuff loaded from preware.

    i can do a restore of saved packages list in preware (will just have to move to appropriate launcher page), but don't know if there's a way to restore the palm catalog data. The Preware saved package list shows that stuff as unknown date and gets an IPKG error when trying to reinstall.

    UPDATE: I did an erase of Apps/Data and the Pre rebooted, I selected English and went through that process. After another reboot it came back up with all my installed catalog apps and redownloaded them all. I still had to load preware back on then and reinstall all those apps plus the kernel, but all patches appeared to be installed. Just not showing in Preware and did not return with an Emergency Reconstruction.
    Last edited by rpankoe; 06/16/2010 at 09:28 PM.
  19. #919  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I'm experimenting w/compcache in UK 1.4.1-37 on my pre even though I had some difficulties running F102 & F104. I see that Govnah 0.4.5 has some tweakability that neither of the F* kernels had. So maybe I can take advantage of this by trying different options.

    Some questions:
    1. What sizes were used for "COMPCACHE MEMLIMIT" in F102 & F104? I'd like to see if I can replicate the problems that I was having in the F* kernels in UK. And then if I can, then figure out what settings avoid them.
    2. It appears that I have to disable compcache so that the swapoff can complete and free up all pages stored in ramzswap, before I can make changes to the memlimit and re-apply them. Is that right?

    Thanks.
    20MB
    Live free or DIE!
  20. #920  
    I've had Govnah & Uberkernal installed for a while. I just installed Govnah v.0.4.5. Don't have any other OC kernals installed. Never installed the F102 or 104 kernals.

    When I click on Governor and set it to Screenstate and click 'Apply Settings' every seems fine.

    When I set Compcache enabled to True and click Apply Settings I get the following error:

    insmod: can't read
    '/lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/xvmalloc.ko': No such file or directory

    I get this regardless of memlimit setting as I've tried them all. I did a Luna restart to see if that would help but it did not. Did I miss something? I just checked Preware to see if there is an updated Uberkernal or Govnah and it shows there is not.

    Thanks for the help.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions