Page 45 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3540414243444546474849505595 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Everyone else. That's how it is designed (and documented as such) at the moment.

-- Rod
    got it, thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    But recently I have it occur with 3 different apps (browser, assasin's creed, and occasionally preware) typically and when running by themselves even after a fresh reboot just in case memory was mucked by previous activity.
    v1.4.1-37 put to the test to see if I would get too many card errors in the three typical case I had previously mention in the quote above. I played assassin's creed for at least an hour without issue. Typically I would get hit with too many cards within a few minutes but as long as 15 minutes or so. To test preware and the browser I opened the page that I got the too many card errors from the most and loaded up preware and went to the all apps view I frequently use to see whats new and also didn't get the too many cards error. Left battery monitor, agenda, calendar, and card ace blackjack open which launch at device startup just to add extra. All of that was overboard when with the browser I opened my complete instant watch viewing history on neflix site because things got unresponsive at that point but I would not have gotten that far before I would have gotten the too many cards error just on preware or the browser on my DVD queue on netflix site alone.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  3.    #883  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    v1.4.1-37 put to the test to see if I would get too many card errors in the three typical case I had previously mention in the quote above. I played assassin's creed for at least an hour without issue. Typically I would get hit with too many cards within a few minutes but as long as 15 minutes or so. To test preware and the browser I opened the page that I got the too many card errors from the most and loaded up preware and went to the all apps view I frequently use to see whats new and also didn't get the too many cards error. Left battery monitor, agenda, calendar, and card ace blackjack open which launch at device startup just to add extra. All of that was overboard when with the browser I opened my complete instant watch viewing history on neflix site because things got unresponsive at that point but I would not have gotten that far before I would have gotten the too many cards error just on preware or the browser on my DVD queue on netflix site alone.
    Install Govnah 0.4.3 (in alpha testing too), and enable the compcache support that is built into Uber 1.4.x-37 and then see what it can do

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Install Govnah 0.4.3 (in alpha testing too), and enable the compcache support that is built into Uber 1.4.x-37 and then see what it can do

-- Rod
    how do you nanually enable compcache?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

5.    #885  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    how do you nanually enable compcache?
    Install Govnah 0.4.3 and toggle "Compcache Enabled" to "True".

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Install Govnah 0.4.3 and toggle "Compcache Enabled" to "True".

-- Rod
    I can't find the toggle but anyways, everytime I open govnah and try and change settings it feezes up like crazy requiring a battery pull

Update: never mind I found the toggle but this time I oose fixed speed 800,; choosing screenstate freezes up my phone already requiring 2 battery pulls
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

I am trying to add the kernal testing feed (Index of /feeds/webos-kernels/testing/1.4.1.1/). For some reason an error is returned during feed updates. (404 server not found I think) does the name of the feed matter? I am using webos-testing-kernals and the is compressed toggle is set to "yes". Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Edit: I am ********, I was spelling "kernels" wrong when I typed it on my pre.
    Last edited by illadelphatic; 06/15/2010 at 04:33 PM. Reason: spelling
    I have installed the 1.4.1-37 Uber-kernel and Govnah 0.4.3 on my Sprint Pre. Going to start testing as soon as my Pre boots. What is the optimal size for the compcache memory limit?
  9.    #889  
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrDrgn View Post
    I have installed the 1.4.1-37 Uber-kernel and Govnah 0.4.3 on my Sprint Pre. Going to start testing as soon as my Pre boots. What is the optimal size for the compcache memory limit?
    I've defaulted it to 20MB for the time being. I've only ever seen it get to 18MB myself, and Marco has only seen 16MB I think.

Look in /proc/ramzswap to see what you're currently using.

-- Rod
  10.    #890  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    I can't find the toggle but anyways, everytime I open govnah and try and change settings it feezes up like crazy requiring a battery pull

Update: never mind I found the toggle but this time I oose fixed speed 800,; choosing screenstate freezes up my phone already requiring 2 battery pulls
    Please post the output of "dbus-util --capture govnah" while enabling compcache.

-- Rod
    I've defaulted it to 20MB for the time being. I've only ever seen it get to 18MB myself, and Marco has only seen 16MB I think.

Look in /proc/ramzswap to see what you're currently using.

-- Rod
    Testing so far is going well. I have managed to get a lot more cards open than before installing this latest kernel and Govnah. There was a combination of Tweed, three browser cards, Facebook Beta, Mail, YouTube and some others. I would never have been able to open all that before. The more I opened, the more sluggish it got. Unfortunately, when I opened up Terminal to check the swap usage with your command above, that's when my Pre crashed. Going to play some more, and I'm going to have to plug into a charger so my battery doesn't die since I'm having so much fun! HEH!

EDIT: More testing, and we're sluggish again. Cards open are: JSTop, Govnah, Tweed, Web (two cards), YouTube, Terminal, FaceBook Beta, Mail - heavy HTML and images message card. The top bar of the Pre is lagging behind everything. The clock is showing 9 minutes slow now, and the active application tag in the upper left shows the wrong app name. Right now, the Pre is barely functional and still declining. I verified the CompCache option is turned on and applied in Govnah. The memory command above shows DiskSize 131072 kB, MemLimit 20480 kB and the rest are all zeros. Not sure if it's using the ramzswap properly. Went to totally not functional - had to pull the battery.

If there's anything you want me to specifically try, let me know.
    Last edited by SilvrDrgn; 06/15/2010 at 09:33 PM.
    I have not figured out how to use these linux commands to provide any hard data, but perhaps this anecdotal observation may be of some use (or I dont understand govnah). When I opened govnah, I saw for the first time that in the memory/swap line, the swap actually had a value (before it was always zero, no matter what I had open). This time it was at 8 and I was running a couple apps. I thought, oh joy, the compcache is working this time, so I checked to see if my settings were retained and it turns out that compcache enabled was in false. I can open way more apps now, with compcache in false, right now it says 235/80 and I have 24 apps open (only 1 browser), with only a bit of sluggishness.

Edit: I have never had so many apps open: 35 right now (featured apps, foursquare, airtraffic lite, nuclear war, govnah, battery monitor, gpx mapper, zilch, topple ball mini, neighborhood guide, blockchalk, facebook app, wooton!, diggloo, fml, weatherbug, amazon mp3, photo roll, r*ty****, exoplanets, fliq notes, stitcher, contacts, ypmobile, weather channel, palmspot contest, glad thats not me lite, flash cards, flame, zip code tools, email, memos, whats for dinner, nrby photos, music player remix) just got TMC. My phone is not very sluggish, govnah says 232/110 for memory/swap
    Last edited by illadelphatic; 06/15/2010 at 11:18 PM.
  13.    #893  
    Quote Originally Posted by illadelphatic View Post
    I have not figured out how to use these linux commands to provide any hard data, but perhaps this anecdotal observation may be of some use (or I dont understand govnah). When I opened govnah, I saw for the first time that in the memory/swap line, the swap actually had a value (before it was always zero, no matter what I had open). This time it was at 8 and I was running a couple apps. I thought, oh joy, the compcache is working this time, so I checked to see if my settings were retained and it turns out that compcache enabled was in false. I can open way more apps now, with compcache in false, right now it says 235/80 and I have 24 apps open (only 1 browser), with only a bit of sluggishness.
    Uber-37 has two things added:

1) The TMC thresholds are now based on the total of free ram plus free swap, rather than just free ram. This violates the 7 principles, cause it is not selectable yet, but we think that it's a bug in the Palm code, since there is a comment in the code which says it should be based on ram plus swap.

2) compcache modules are available. Govnah can enable and disable them.

If you don't have compcache enabled, you'll still be experiencing the effects of #1, but swapping will be slow cause it's going directly to slow flash.

If you do have compcache enabled, you'll get faster swapping at the expense of some memory used for the compressed swap pages.

-- Rod
    Thanks for the explanation, I guess I should read up more on compcaching. In any case, the new TMC threshold makes my pre seem like a pre plus, thanks Rod, Marco, et al.
  15.    #895  
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrDrgn View Post
    I verified the CompCache option is turned on and applied in Govnah. The memory command above shows DiskSize 131072 kB, MemLimit 20480 kB and the rest are all zeros. Not sure if it's using the ramzswap properly.
    If all the rest are zeros, then it it not using compcache for swap. It seems the modules are loaded, but have not been activated for swap usage.

What is the output of "swapon -s" ?

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 06/16/2010 at 12:00 AM.
    I just plugged my Sprint Pre onto the stock wall charger (not a touchstone) and noticed with the new kernel that my cpu went to 500mhz. I have Govnah set to screenstate 600/500. I know about the touchstone and screen brightness issues. I do not have Brightness Unlinked running, and set my screen brightness to 100%. Still, when I plug in the charger the CPU goes to 500mhz, and as soon as I unplug it, it goes back to 600. Is this the expected behavior? I don't remember it being that way with the previous version of Ubekernel.
  17.    #897  
    Quote Originally Posted by amateurhack View Post
    I just plugged my Sprint Pre onto the stock wall charger (not a touchstone) and noticed with the new kernel that my cpu went to 500mhz. I have Govnah set to screenstate 600/500. I know about the touchstone and screen brightness issues. I do not have Brightness Unlinked running, and set my screen brightness to 100%. Still, when I plug in the charger the CPU goes to 500mhz, and as soon as I unplug it, it goes back to 600. Is this the expected behavior? I don't remember it being that way with the previous version of Ubekernel.
    Yes, that is the most recent change Marco has made to the screenstate code.

See line 235 in http://git.webos-internals.org/?p=ke...eenstate.patch

-- Rod
    Yes, that is the most recent change Marco has made to the screenstate code.

-- Rod
    okay, thanks Rod. I hope there will be a way to change that eventually, but as long as that's what it's supposed to do, I'll deal with it for the time being. =)
  19.    #899  
    Quote Originally Posted by illadelphatic View Post
    Thanks for the explanation, I guess I should read up more on compcaching. In any case, the new TMC threshold makes my pre seem like a pre plus, thanks Rod, Marco, et al.
    See Compcache: in-memory compressed swapping [LWN.net] for a good explanation of what compcache is all about.

-- Rod

-- Rod
    Test number one, opening netflix DVD queue web page which is known to generate TMC on my pre. Using kernel -37 and 0.4.3 compcache on and set to 30MB on the fixed speed 800 profile. Battery monitor (15 second interval) and govnah (2 second interval) running in background no other apps open. The page never completely loads (progress indicator is about 90% the point TMC would normally occur before). And eventually if I let it sit long enough in hopes it does my pre crashes (full crash not a luna crash as far as I can tell). It gets very sluggish at some point but significantly before the crash occurs. Last recorded memory state was 238 / 0. when device became sluggish govnah no longer appeared to update. May very well be that webOS simply didn't update the scene any longer due to the rapidly increasing sluggishness. I'll have to try this one again with 0.4.4 but for now I will post as is and include more tests in a follow up post with the browser retest.

Test number two, same setup but opening preware and viewing list everything then list all in just apps scrolling the list which sometimes would generate TMC with only preware open. Runs real smooth no app icon load lag or slow image load in detail view scene like occasionally would happen prior to TMC. Noticed update for govnah 0.4.4 and updating for future tests in this post. Govnah shows 218 / 0 for memory state.

Test number three, reboot to make sure things aren't goofy from previous two tests. Same setup as before with 0.4.4 update and compcache 32MB. Closed all but battery monitor and govnah, reports memory state 226 / 24 at this point. Then opened assassin's creed watched the intro video and at the menu govnah reports memory 233 / 50. Played it for about 15 minutes the longest I used to go without TMC before. All played well and checked govnah at this point to see memory state 234 / 61. After closing assassin'screed govnah reported memory state of 168 / 56.

Last but not least mode switcher launches the following apps by default so that they are loaded each time I reboot: battery monitor, calendar (uber calendar patched, defaults to month view), agenda, comics, card ace blackjack (so I don't forget to get my daily free chips), save/restore (so I don't forget to use it), and govnah (so I can check stuff with it). With kernel -37 and gonvah 0.4.4 installed after boot completes and these apps are all loaded memory state is 211 / 19 to 215 / 19 (it fluctuated up shortly after). I then turned on compcache and set to 32MB for test number three.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.