Page 43 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3338394041424344454647485393143 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    The only thing I can add is that I am running the Govnah/Uber-Kernel and my GPS app still asks me "allow turn on GPS", have you tried rebooting your phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Well I'm on 1.4.1.1 Sprint Pre so I use Index of /feeds/webos-kernels/testing/1.4.1.1/ There is a seperate feed for Kernels from the standard testing feed.
    I used this repository to get the -31 version, but cannot for the life of me find the kernel testing feed. I have a testing feed for the kernel, but it is aparently not updating correctly so maybe I have it typed in wrong. I googled "webos internals kernel testing feed" but could not find the page, and I checked the wiki page, but could not find it. I am sure it is there somewhere I am just not finding it.
    Thanks for coming out with this. My one real critique of the Pre was it was a little sluggish pulling up programs (I never understood why they under clocked the processor to 500mhz on factory defaults). My problem is gone now Kudos to you developers, you guys rock.
  4.    #844  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chandu The Magician View Post
    Thanks for coming out with this. My one real critique of the Pre was it was a little sluggish pulling up programs (I never understood why they under clocked the processor to 500mhz on factory defaults). My problem is gone now Kudos to you developers, you guys rock.
    We have heard the reason why the Pre is underclocked by default is due to cellular interference by harmonics of the cpu frequency.

I'll have to get out the MiniDM app and measure the RSSI when overclocking or not to see if this is true.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    You can use JSTop (Preware) which will help with JavaScript Garbage collection. Until Palm gets the memory leaks fixed, you should restart once a day and whenever the phone quits acting normal.
    yeah, already doing all this and the TMC error was still constant. Wonder if it's cause of the sprint pre with only 256MB ram instead of the 512 that the pre plus has. I do have several apps that have alarms running to update themselves with stuff like pack n track, youview, and weather icon.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We have heard the reason why the Pre is underclocked by default is due to cellular interference by harmonics of the cpu frequency.

I'll have to get out the MiniDM app and measure the RSSI when overclocking or not to see if this is true.

-- Rod
    Man, I haven't heard that word since Physics class. Anywho, for what it's worth, I've made 6 calls today running 800mhz and haven't noticed any interference. So far, so good
  7.    #847  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    This does not bite Principle 4 or an OTA update, because after an OTA update Govnah will not run, right?
    For an OTA update, either the kernel has not been updated, in which case Govnah should continue to operate, or the kernel has been updated, in which case Govnah will gracefully fail to apply the settings onto a new stock kernel.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by jakelaw View Post
    I used this repository to get the -31 version, but cannot for the life of me find the kernel testing feed. I have a testing feed for the kernel, but it is aparently not updating correctly so maybe I have it typed in wrong. I googled "webos internals kernel testing feed" but could not find the page, and I checked the wiki page, but could not find it. I am sure it is there somewhere I am just not finding it.
    The kernel testing feed I have is:
    ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-kernels/1.4.1.1 I am guessing this is not the correct one for the updates for testing the kernels? If it is not, can someone point me toward the correct feed? I checked the testing feed page on webos-internals.org but did not see the kernel testing feed. Thanks for the help. I have enjoyed alphatesting preware, the govnah, and initially, the uberkernel, and would like to continue with the kernel as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jakelaw View Post
    The kernel testing feed I have is:
    ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-kernels/1.4.1.1 I am guessing this is not the correct one for the updates for testing the kernels? If it is not, can someone point me toward the correct feed? I checked the testing feed page on webos-internals.org but did not see the kernel testing feed. Thanks for the help. I have enjoyed alphatesting preware, the govnah, and initially, the uberkernel, and would like to continue with the kernel as well.
    http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-...sting/1.4.1.1/
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

thanks!!!
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swimdng View Post
    Could installing the uber-kernel and Govnah cause GPS (both Sprint Nav and Google map) to stop working? I installed both and everything on my Pre is working way faster, many Thanks to the developer! But my GPS apps do not ask me to "Allow turn on GPS" and cannot locate my location anymore. I searched for GPS issue in this post, but couldn't find anything related. Can someone shed some light or help direct me? Big Thanks!
    My own user error here. I didn't check using GPS in my Location Services app preference setting. That's why both my GPS apps stopped working. Maybe installing the uber-kernel turns off GPS setting in my Location Services, if anyone else find this issue.
  12.    #852  
    Quote Originally Posted by swimdng View Post
    My own user error here. I didn't check using GPS in my Location Services app preference setting. That's why both my GPS apps stopped working. Maybe installing the uber-kernel turns off GPS setting in my Location Services, if anyone else find this issue.
    UberKernel does not change any user settings. It did not turn off your GPS setting.

What might have happened is that some people are experiencing random resets of their user preferences (unrelated to UberKernel, but loosely correlating with resetting the device), and this may have coincided with your installation of UberKernel (or more probably with the device reset after installation).

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    With 1.4.5 on the way, are you recommending uninstalling uber/govnah before updating? does it work like AUPT? Thx in advance.
  14.    #854  
    Quote Originally Posted by highball View Post
    With 1.4.5 on the way, are you recommending uninstalling uber/govnah before updating? does it work like AUPT? Thx in advance.
    UberKernel and Govnah are designed to be OTA-safe.

OTA-safe means that if Palm update their kernel, then overclocking will be disabled until the user installs a kernel update. Just like with AUPT patches.

However, since we haven't had an OTA update since UberKernel was released, we have not been able to test this in a real-life situation (we've done some artificial testing, but the real bugs always wait for real-life).

We expect that some people will just leave it installed and see what happens. Absolute worst case is a webOS doctor visit.

We expect that some people will watch the @webosinternals twitter feed for 24 hours before accepting the next OTA update. Then they will decide what to do before accepting the update.

We expect that some people will remove UberKernel and Govnah before the OTA update arrives.

Having those three groups of people is perfect, cause then we get a good spread of feedback (just like we have done before with AUPT and patches).

You get to decide which group you belong to

Note that if Palm does update the kernel, that means that *everyone* will be without overclocking from the point that they accept the OTA update to the time when Palm publishes the Linux kernel source code on opensource.palm.com for that webOS version and we are able to build a new kernel from that updated source code. This could easily be a week or so based on previous experience. Once we have the source code from Palm, our goal is to have a new kernel tested and in the feeds within 24 hours.

-- Rod
    Rod you are awesome with the replies and being on top of things!

Ok so i'm sorta new kernal side of the palm pre, by installing this can you still add patches like you can now threw preware.... i assume yes but wanted to double check before i installed it... thanks!
  16.    #856  
    Quote Originally Posted by oni8245 View Post
    Ok so i'm sorta new kernal side of the palm pre, by installing this can you still add patches like you can now threw preware.... i assume yes but wanted to double check before i installed it... thanks!
    You don't think we'd release something that stops you using Preware do you?

UberKernel is designed to not interfere with anything else. It's not like flashing a custom ROM on other platforms - we've done this properly.

-- rod
    I've been scanning the compcache (sp?) kernel thread as new posts are made. I not sure I know what part of it is the part that makes for better experience in regards to too many cards. But recently I have it occur with 3 different apps (browser, assasin's creed, and occasionally preware) typically and when running by themselves even after a fresh reboot just in case memory was mucked by previous activity. Anyways back to the point on me posting. Is it possible that the memory benefits of the compcache kernel be integrated into uber kernel? Or is it too early yet to do so?
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    I'm looking forward to installing the next update, leaving the uberkernel and govnah installed. It's fun to see how well y'all have prepared first hand. Visits to the doctor aren't all that bad!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You must use a kernel with the internal CPU temperature sensor code included. We have published the patch for the 1.4.1 kernel source code, so anyone building a 1.4.1 kernel can easily add that patch to enable the omap34xx_temp sensor.

The Uber-Kernel in the WebOS Internals testing feed includes the sensor. Note that it defaults to factory speeds, but can of course go up to 800MHz like every other kernel, cause it uses the same overclocking patch back-ported from the omap3440 mailing list by Marco (unixPsycho) over two months ago.

I believe that the CPUScalerUltimate app can also be used to control the uber-kernel, but it does not yet read the internal CPU temperature sensor.

-- Rod
    going up to 800 is not even an option for me. Why is that?
    I have WebOS 1.4.0 from Telcel, when i try to install it from preware it says that it is not compatible with my version.

Does someone has a version compatible with 1.4.0? Or, does it exist?

Thanks in advance!

Regards!
    Nokia 1100 - Alcatel OT156A - Motorola C650 - Motorola v220i - Motorola V555 - The Great Motorola V360 - The Amazing Treo 650 - Treo 750 - Original Palm Pre (1.4.5) - Palm Pre2 (2.1) + Touchpad.