Page 41 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3136373839404142434445465191141 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Performance leans toward the higher speed setting. Also I meant to mention before that Govnah readings go dormant in minimized card view, you have to have it fully opened to see what is currently going on.
    thanks for the heads up, however this is not minimized. It just seems like the screenstate is getting stuck on something and not flipping the switch back to 800... I like the battery saving aspect of screenstate short of a doctor, not sure what can be done....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I love this thing once i got it all installed and working... (note to others) put your phone in to airplane mode to prevent a phone call from interrupting it mid way through the install this happened to me and had to doctor my phone to fix this. my phone is a lot faster then before lol one other thing i have noticed i am sure this has been brought up but set the speed to not auto adjust or you will get lines when playing video

Thank you guys for this hard work...
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    I understand that, and at the same time many people seem to be staying at a range between 28 - 38C by using the screenstate or performance goveners for example, without scaling, even running 800Mhz straight. This was all I was trying to relate. At these settings I've experiened the same thing and get nervous when my Pre goes over 49C, safe or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I fully agree that keeping it at cooler temperatures is better for the device.

Getting nervous at higher temps is justified, but I just didn't want people to think that shooting up to 60C for a couple of seconds is going to immediately fry their device.

-- Rod
    49C shouldn't be of any concern. My own opinion is that even as much as 60C should be fine. Manufacturer specifications say the maximum temp for the CPU is 105C note that under normal operation the CPU will never get close to this. Extreme condition would have to exist sust as failure of the cooling method or external temperature very high maybe 100F+ for the CPU to reach temperatures to be concerned about.

PC CPUs target temperature when overclocking is 50C and PC CPUs are rated at 90C maximum (last I checked about a year or so ago). However as long as a system is stable temperatures up to 60C are considered acceptable. Video card processors typically operate at about 65C give or take 5C. Off hand I don't know what their rated maximum is and not 100% sure what temperature would be considered the upper acceptable operating temperature but I personally don't like to see mine go above 75C because temperatures above it have a significant impact of FPS performance.

Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    what is the differance between screen state and performance?
    The performance governor will operate the CPU and the speed set in the maximum freq. setting. It doesn't scale the speed. The screen state switches between two speeds. Basically the idea is to run at a slower speed when screen is off and faster speed when it is on so you get the performance when actively using it.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    yeah, I figured as much. I need to fix the screen state... What data could be stored or what would allow this issue even after fresh instals of both uberkernal and govnah? It has work on this pre before my most recent webos doctor visit...
    yeah, I figured as much. I need to fix the screen state... What data could be stored or what would allow this issue even after fresh instals of both uberkernal and govnah? It has work on this pre before my most recent webos doctor visit...
    That's exactly why I suggested trying perfomance if it works perhaps it will began to work in screenatate as well.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I've been running in performance, and while it seems to be using more juice, I feel the acceleration.

I doubt it will just start working though
  7.    #807  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Manufacturer specifications say the maximum temp for the CPU is 105C
    The processor in the Pre is a commercial temperature grade OMAP3430 device (0C ≤ Tj ≤ 90C), not an extended temperature grade OMAP3430A device (-40C ≤ Tj ≤ 105C).

(Tj = semiconductor junction temperature)

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/29/2010 at 09:52 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I think my original install of uberkernel failed and i can not uninstall it, the recovery kernel does not work either..

please help!
    Last edited by toofast4yourazz; 05/29/2010 at 02:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The processor in the Pre is a commercial temperature OMAP3430 device (0C ≤ Tj ≤ 90C), not an extended temperature OMAP3430A devices (-40C ≤ Tj ≤ 105C).

(Tj = semiconductor junction temperature)

-- Rod
    Good to know. When I was google searching for the info a few weeks back all I could find was the second range of temps you listed being indicated as the specs for the 3430 without an A in the model. I was unable to locate the specs directly off the manufacture site. I thought it was strange to have an extended range compared to my previous experience with PC CPUs. But anyways with this new info I would expect stability issues if temps exceed about 60C. I'm not sure if I have seen temps above 50C yet on my pre running at performance 800. However I don't play 3D games. Most intensive apps I use are card/word ace and slacker/pandora. I have the 2600 extended battery which the empty space in the battery compartment may improve cooling for the CPU.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    I've been running in performance, and while it seems to be using more juice, I feel the acceleration.

I doubt it will just start working though
    It did. I woke up and decided to give screen state another go. This time it is changing correctly. Strange, but I will take it!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I think my original install of uberkernel failed and i can not uninstall it in preware, i hit remove and i get "error"

Also, the recovery kernel does not work either..

did reboot, but uberkernel is still there and unable to uninstall

please help!

IPK log:
    failed
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.prerm 2>&1
    Kernel confirmed to be compatible with this webOS version
    Fatal error occurred, unable to locate tarball
    failed
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.prerm 2>&1
    failed
    Last edited by toofast4yourazz; 05/29/2010 at 02:22 PM.
    It did. I woke up and decided to give screen state another go. This time it is changing correctly. Strange, but I will take it!
    >>>Pats self on the back<<<

I'm glad it worked.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by toofast4yourazz View Post
    I think my original install of uberkernel failed and i can not uninstall it in preware, i hit remove and i get "error"

Also, the recovery kernel does not work either..

did reboot, but uberkernel is still there and unable to uninstall

please help!

IPK log:
    failed
    failed
    failed
    You dont have to post the same thing in both this thread and the govnah thread :P i responded to you over in the other thread go check it out
    Ok i was able to delete it off my app list then remove via preware then i did palm kernel install (recovery) and then reinstalled uberkernel and it worked.

thanks for the help all.
    Good to hear!

M.
    I think I found a bug in 0.4.1. German Pre.

When I first start Govnah, I see Profile: Unknown. When I touch the Profile bar and go back by swiping to the left, I see my correct Profile: Screenstate 500/800. The clock is working correctly at 500/800 so it seems to be a GUI bug.

Correct me if I'm wrong or if the bug is already known.
    Before updating to 0.4.1 I had my own profile doing the exactly same thing as screenstate 500/800. I aready reinstalled Govnah. Didn't help.
  17.    #817  
    Quote Originally Posted by prenode View Post
    I think I found a bug in 0.4.1. German Pre.

When I first start Govnah, I see Profile: Unknown. When I touch the Profile bar and go back by swiping to the left, I see my correct Profile: Screenstate 500/800. The clock is working correctly at 500/800 so it seems to be a GUI bug.

Correct me if I'm wrong or if the bug is already known.
    Before updating to 0.4.1 I had my own profile doing the exactly same thing as screenstate 500/800. I aready reinstalled Govnah. Didn't help.
    This has already been reported and acknowledged in the Govnah thread where alpha testing of Govnah 0.4.1 is happening.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I use Preware to install Uber Kernel but after it finishes installing Preware gives me an IPKG ERROR. When I look in the log it says this version os Uber is not compatible with your OS/System. I am using a Sprint Palm Pre DevMode activated.
    Quote Originally Posted by mastervictor View Post
    I use Preware to install Uber Kernel but after it finishes installing Preware gives me an IPKG ERROR. When I look in the log it says this version os Uber is not compatible with your OS/System. I am using a Sprint Palm Pre DevMode activated.
    What webOS version is it, 1.4.1.1?
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mastervictor View Post
    I had this happening as well.
    1. Uninstall any kernel you may have used or are using.
    2. Full reset.
    3. Install the Default/Recovery kernel using Preware.
    4. Full reset.
    5. Install the Uberkernel.
    6. Full reset. Should be happy after that.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.