Page 37 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2732333435363738394041424787137 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    ?? No problems with my keyboard. Weird.
    Postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.postinst 2>&1
    Kernel confirmed to be compatible with this webOS version
    Verifying no existing modifications to target files ...
    Creating backup of existing kernel files ...
    Verifying backup of existing kernel files ...
    Verifying ability to write to target directories ...
    Verifying ability to write to target files ...
    Installing replacement kernel files ...
    cp: write error: No space left on device
    Error installing /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/block/nbd.ko
    cmp: EOF on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/block/nbd.ko
    Unable to verify /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/block/nbd.ko
    Error installing /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/net/ifb.ko
    cmp: EOF on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/net/ifb.ko
    Unable to verify /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/net/ifb.ko
    Error installing /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_wait_scan.ko
    cmp: EOF on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_wait_scan.ko
    Unable to verify /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_wait_scan.ko
    Fatal error occurred, restoring original files
    Original files restored, we have normality, I repeat we have normality
    Remove
    Removing package org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre from root...
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.prerm)
    Delete
    Nothing Interesting.
    Failed
    Nothing Interesting.

Any help with no space left on device error? My device info says 6.6 gb available...
    Last edited by rlangley21; 05/18/2010 at 10:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolio View Post
    <Rant>
    Don't yell at me, I do RTFM, and that's my favorite line, no fair using it on me!

<snip>

</Rant>
    Lol

Who was yelling?

Like what Rod says... This is alpha testing and there is no problem reporting problems. We can't all have perfect experiences. Mine sure hasn't been perfect.

I try to help when I can. =)
  4.    #724  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    it looks like it's actually not a problem with the packages at all, but a case of the postinstall script being run twice by Preware 1.0.2 with the Avoid WebOS Bugs preference set to Yes.
    This has been fixed in Preware 1.0.3, which is in the testing feed now.

Please set the "Avoid webOS Bugs" preference back to "Yes" if you changed it.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5.    #725  
    Quote Originally Posted by datboi208 View Post
    Are plans in the works to create a new Uber Kernel that will include the firmware updates for the keyboard for Verizon Pre users? When I install the Uber Kernel all the issue with my keyboard are multiplied and brings double typing back and increases the likelihood of a missed letter. I love the Uber Kernel though and use it anyways but just wondering. Keep up the AMAZING work guys!!
    The UberKernel already includes the kernel update with the fixed keyboard driver for Verizon Pre users, since it is based on webOS 1.4.1(.1).

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    How can I download these kernals. Do I have to post ten times on here? thanks
  7.    #727  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbond007 View Post
    How can I download these kernals. Do I have to post ten times on here? thanks
    No, but you do need to read the first post of the thread.

-- Rod
    Does the linux version of GIMPS Home run from command line or is it a GUI app like prime95 for windows? I was thinking those interested in stress testing could use it or perhaps someone could port the source to give a GUI for it if a GUI is needed.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SDash View Post
    @Dolio

Does setting conservative to act more like ondemand glitch too? (ie set freq steps to above 50%)

I've tried playing around with ondemand and I strayed away when I noticed the video glitches too.
    I hope my posts make sense, read them as test notes which I write as I am going through the motions...

I'm not sure that I fully understand the nuances of the various default profiles/governors's available via the Govnah app. The CPUscaler app just had a set of on demand ranges or revert to defaults (userspace). I initially stayed away from the conservative governor because it made all activity very choppy and less fluid. I've manly used ScreenState, and today ran the CPUscaler OnDemand profile (which I now have saved and can activate from Govnah, but I continue to call it the "CPUscaler OnDemand profile")...

I just tested the default conservative, but changed the min set to 500MHz (because it seems to weight heavily down to 125MHz and make entire devices response twitchy or laggy). At 5% freq step there was no video glitch. Initially changing freq step to 80% also appeared to not glitch the video....

However, later I switched to a working OnDemand profile and then back to the conservative governor. I observed that the min MHz reverted to 125MHZ although the freq step was still at 80%, it had not reverted to the default of 5%. So, with the freq step now at 80% and the min MHz back to 125, and with the video playback paused, govnah running, the glitching returned. Changing the MHz to 500 made the glitch go away. Back to min 125MHz and the glitch returned. Closing the Govnah app yet the video glitch persisted. Closed the paused video app and the video glitch stops.

To be clear, whenever I say Video "Glitching" I mean that the video glitches while watching video, on the launcher page, viewing and empty browser card, pretty much any activity or card and the whole screen glitches. The glitching is not limited to the video app nor video playback but rather is present whenever the video app is running, minimized or active. I have not tested but I imagine that other graphics intensive activities such as games might also glitch in a similar manor.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I would like to suggest a change to the govnah app behavior, I hope I'm posting this in the write thread, but it follows from my previous posts, so... As I noted in my last post, and observed and noted in another prior post, when selecting a default governor (conservative, ondemand, power...) which is not yet a part of a saved Profile. Some of the component settings revert to a default and some persist from previous changes made (until the device is rebooted). I think that each default governor should have a full set of enforced settings, rather then inheriting some settings from those that happen to be defined per the /proc branch. Upon more contemplation, perhaps none of the component settings are enforced when choosing a new (default) governor. Since various governor's component settings might overlap testing by switching between governors might result in different settings depending on the order in which a user picks various governors.

In short, I guess what I'm saying is that the developers and thus the Govnah app should know the "best" default set of settings for each of the governor options. When a governor is selected these best defaults should be loaded rather then inheriting whatever is currently set in /proc.

I also find it slightly disconcerting that some governors appear to be missing settings. For example, the powersave and performance governors both "appear" to have the exact same settings of min 125MHz and max 800MHz, but the are obviously different. (perhaps I need to read the wiki for more clarity on this, doing that now...)
    Short version: Powersave prefers the being at the min setting, performace prefers to be at the high end. They are different, and that's the major part of the difference.

M.
  12.    #732  
    I would like to suggest a change to the govnah app behavior, I hope I'm posting this in the write thread, but it follows from my previous posts, so... As I noted in my last post, and observed and noted in another prior post, when selecting a default governor (conservative, ondemand, power...) which is not yet a part of a saved Profile. Some of the component settings revert to a default and some persist from previous changes made (until the device is rebooted). I think that each default governor should have a full set of enforced settings, rather then inheriting some settings from those that happen to be defined per the /proc branch. Upon more contemplation, perhaps none of the component settings are enforced when choosing a new (default) governor. Since various governor's component settings might overlap testing by switching between governors might result in different settings depending on the order in which a user picks various governors.

In short, I guess what I'm saying is that the developers and thus the Govnah app should know the "best" default set of settings for each of the governor options. When a governor is selected these best defaults should be loaded rather then inheriting whatever is currently set in /proc.

I also find it slightly disconcerting that some governors appear to be missing settings. For example, the powersave and performance governors both "appear" to have the exact same settings of min 125MHz and max 800MHz, but the are obviously different. (perhaps I need to read the wiki for more clarity on this, doing that now...)
    Govnah simply exposes the raw settings and governor functionality that is available from the standard Linux kernel (apart from the screenstate governor which is a new addition from WebOS Internals, and has clearly stated functionality).

The definition of those settings (and what default values they have) is determined by the standard Linux kernel, not by Govnah, not by WebOS Internals, not even by Palm.

Govnah will have a set of pre-defined profiles which will hold the best settings as determined by the community.

What people should be working towards at the moment is defining the exact settings that each of 5 to 7 profiles should have. It is up to the collective YOU to determine what you want those 5 to 7 profiles to be, and what exact settings they should have.

We will then add those profiles to Govnah, and users can simply choose between the predefined profiles, or use the advanced settings ability if they choose.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Thanks Rod for your patience answering questions.

I was wondering. I expected a full restart after installing a new kernel. It looks like only a java restart is required. Is there a layman's explanation?
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    I hope my posts make sense, read them as test notes which I write as I am going through the motions...

I'm not sure that I fully understand the nuances of the various default profiles/governors's available via the Govnah app. The CPUscaler app just had a set of on demand ranges or revert to defaults (userspace). I initially stayed away from the conservative governor because it made all activity very choppy and less fluid. I've manly used ScreenState, and today ran the CPUscaler OnDemand profile (which I now have saved and can activate from Govnah, but I continue to call it the "CPUscaler OnDemand profile")...

I just tested the default conservative, but changed the min set to 500MHz (because it seems to weight heavily down to 125MHz and make entire devices response twitchy or laggy). At 5% freq step there was no video glitch. Initially changing freq step to 80% also appeared to not glitch the video....

However, later I switched to a working OnDemand profile and then back to the conservative governor. I observed that the min MHz reverted to 125MHZ although the freq step was still at 80%, it had not reverted to the default of 5%. So, with the freq step now at 80% and the min MHz back to 125, and with the video playback paused, govnah running, the glitching returned. Changing the MHz to 500 made the glitch go away. Back to min 125MHz and the glitch returned. Closing the Govnah app yet the video glitch persisted. Closed the paused video app and the video glitch stops.

To be clear, whenever I say Video "Glitching" I mean that the video glitches while watching video, on the launcher page, viewing and empty browser card, pretty much any activity or card and the whole screen glitches. The glitching is not limited to the video app nor video playback but rather is present whenever the video app is running, minimized or active. I have not tested but I imagine that other graphics intensive activities such as games might also glitch in a similar manor.
    Now that you mention it the video sequence during the intro and the cutscenes in the game are the worst for the glitching.Gameplay is somewhat normal_although less fluid when playing Need For Speed while ondemand is being used with the default settings. Never tried to alter any parameters other then frequency when using ondemand with varying levels of success but never as good as stock.

I went back and, retested, looks like you traced back the issue I have confirmed that your suggestions do fix the issue, good work.
  15.    #735  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Thanks Rod for your patience answering questions.

I was wondering. I expected a full restart after installing a new kernel. It looks like only a java restart is required. Is there a layman's explanation?
    A full device restart is required.

What tool is telling you to do a java restart only?

-- Rod
    Rod,

When I was trying to use UberKernel, and was installing it through Preware 1.0, it would pop up the message of "Java Restart Required" but after about 10 seconds the phone rebooted and I would then be using UK (obviously ). I don't know if that's his issue, but I did have Preware *tell* me that and went and rebooted the phone anyway.

M.
  17.    #737  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Rod,

When I was trying to use UberKernel, and was installing it through Preware 1.0, it would pop up the message of "Java Restart Required" but after about 10 seconds the phone rebooted and I would then be using UK (obviously ). I don't know if that's his issue, but I did have Preware *tell* me that and went and rebooted the phone anyway.

M.
    That's weird. We're you installing or updating any other packages at the same time?

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    That's weird. We're you installing or updating any other packages at the same time?

-- Rod
    Nope. Just UK. I thought that was kinda odd myself. I ended up not tapping either Now or Later. I just let the prompt sit there to see what would happen. Again, the phone did end up just rebooting on it's own without me touching it.

I thought it was odd. I can't sit here and say I could reproduce it or not. I'd offer right now, but, I'm running some battery drain tests (for Psycho's kernel) and can't relly swap kernels at the moment.

I figured it was just a fluke, or this thing was confused about something or another, but since someone besides me saw it, maybe there's something to it. (???)

M.
    homebrew rocks =]

my question is overclocking still occurring after i close Govnah? and should i open Govnah after every reboot/luna/java restart to resume overclocking?

also, i have noticed the 125 problem with the ondemand gov. i also recall the mhz graph in Govnah going down all the way (idle?) when i turned my screen off in the ondemand gov.

im currently using screenstate gov. if i recalled the ondemand sceen-off behavior correctly, why would i rather have the screenstate gov active instead of the ondemand (which seemed to have a lower freq in screen-off)? i assume it is because 125mhz is a low frew to handle the tasks that go on while the screen is off...
    Quote Originally Posted by ofthecats86 View Post
    homebrew rocks =]

my question is overclocking still occurring after i close Govnah? and should i open Govnah after every reboot/luna/java restart to resume overclocking?

also, i have noticed the 125 problem with the ondemand gov. i also recall the mhz graph in Govnah going down all the way (idle?) when i turned my screen off in the ondemand gov.

im currently using screenstate gov. if i recalled the ondemand sceen-off behavior correctly, why would i rather have the screenstate gov active instead of the ondemand (which seemed to have a lower freq in screen-off)? i assume it is because 125mhz is a low frew to handle the tasks that go on while the screen is off...
    You can close the govnah app and the pre will stay at the settings you have chosen.
    However the kernel has been designed to revert back to palm default on restarting the device so after any luna or reboot you will need to open the govnah and select whichever profile you want to use.

I generally tend to stay away from the 125mhz as my pre does not take to good to it. But everyones pre is different.