Page 36 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2631323334353637383940414686136 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    I've installed the Palm Kernel from Preware and when I try to install the UberKernel it tells me that my device kernel isn't in original condition or factory condition and won't install. Is there a way to manually restore the kernel from a backup that was made? Is there some terminal command I can run through WOSQI?
    I was scratching my head.. Cousin installed super pre, had a problem(common 600mhz issue) and I directed him here and he had zero issues with uber. I did the same with super pre, had the same issue and then re installed uber. Used performance 800mHz and got 2 days of battery life and no issues for the last week or so. Still testing but it seems to be working like a champ now.(knocking on wood)
    At a complete loss but my cousin and I had the same repeatable results. Very happy thanks for everything with this kernel!
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Install the 'Palm Kernel' not the Stock Kernel to restore your kernel to pristine condition and try again.

-- Rod
    Hi Rod,

I followed your advice on this and continue to get the same result.

Here is what has happened:

I was forced into a partial reset Saturday when the app catalog failed. Following getting mostly back to normal (with the significant help of Save/Restore), I tried to install Govnah and Uberkernel again. I was received the same error described by the user to whom you responded (your quote above in).

Additionally, when I tried your suggestion, I also read somewhere to NOT do a Luna restart following the Palm Kernel installation. I tried both ways, restarting Luna and not.

It is interesting to note that the Uberkernel icon is installed on my Pre, clicking on it just sets it pulsing forever, it actually never opens up, and Govnah does not reflect the additional options you would expect if the Uberkernel installed properly. I have tried deleting the icon, which it does, and starting over, keep getting the same result.

I continue to get this at the end of each install:

Code:
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.postinst 2>&1
    Kernel confirmed to be compatible with this webOS version
    Verifying no existing modifications to target files ...
    Verification failed on /boot/System.map-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /boot/config-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /boot/uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/arch/arm/oprofile/oprofile.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/crypto/ecb.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/crypto/pcbc.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/block/nbd.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/net/ifb.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_wait_scan.ko
    Device kernel is not in factory condition, refusing to install replacement
    The full IPKG error log is attached to this post.

What should I do do you think?

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    I'm getting the same Install IPKG log that jdod is getting.
  5.    #705  
    It seems the rebuild of all the packages today has cause a problem with the kernel file safety verification and it is giving a false negative and stopping installation. I'm looking into it now.

Edit: it looks like it's actually not a problem with the packages at all, but a case of the postinstall script being run twice by Preware 1.0.2 with the Avoid WebOS Bugs preference set to Yes.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/18/2010 at 09:45 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Thanks Rod. I was afraid I had borked my Pre.
  7.    #707  
    Quote Originally Posted by cdbillups View Post
    I've installed the Palm Kernel from Preware and when I try to install the UberKernel it tells me that my device kernel isn't in original condition or factory condition and won't install. Is there a way to manually restore the kernel from a backup that was made? Is there some terminal command I can run through WOSQI?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    Hi Rod,

I followed your advice on this and continue to get the same result.

Here is what has happened:

I was forced into a partial reset Saturday when the app catalog failed. Following getting mostly back to normal (with the significant help of Save/Restore), I tried to install Govnah and Uberkernel again. I was received the same error described by the user to whom you responded (your quote above in).

Additionally, when I tried your suggestion, I also read somewhere to NOT do a Luna restart following the Palm Kernel installation. I tried both ways, restarting Luna and not.

It is interesting to note that the Uberkernel icon is installed on my Pre, clicking on it just sets it pulsing forever, it actually never opens up, and Govnah does not reflect the additional options you would expect if the Uberkernel installed properly. I have tried deleting the icon, which it does, and starting over, keep getting the same result.

I continue to get this at the end of each install:

Code:
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.postinst 2>&1
    Kernel confirmed to be compatible with this webOS version
    Verifying no existing modifications to target files ...
    Verification failed on /boot/System.map-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /boot/config-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /boot/uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/arch/arm/oprofile/oprofile.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/crypto/ecb.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/crypto/pcbc.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/block/nbd.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/net/ifb.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_wait_scan.ko
    Device kernel is not in factory condition, refusing to install replacement
    The full IPKG error log is attached to this post.

What should I do do you think?

Thanks!
    Are you by chance both alpha testing Preware 1.0.2 ?

Try installing them with the Avoid WebOS Bugs preference set to "No".

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Yes, I'm using Preware 1.0.2.
  9.    #709  
    Quote Originally Posted by cdbillups View Post
    Yes, I'm using Preware 1.0.2.
    OK, in future, please state pertinent facts like that in the first post

-- Rod
    Saw the tweet about setting the "Avoid WebOS bugs" to "No" and did that. I then had to install the Palm Kernel, select Later, and then install the UberKernel. No IPKG errors and my Pre is rebooting. Thanks Rod!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    The wiki pages are always linked as the Homepage link in the Preware description page for the package. Why do people never read them first *before* installing an application?
    I do and funny thing is I don't have many problems. Imagine that. Interesting. RTFM! =)
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    If you want to compare two kernels, then you need to set the parameters the same. Use Govnah to set exactly the same parameters as CPU Scaler sets, and you should expect exactly the same results. Set different parameters (as you have here), and you should expect different results.
    I too prefer wiki documentation and will catch up and read that asap.

I think we are misunderstanding each other.
    * For the last half a week I have been running the Uber kernel exclusively
    * I'm not switching between kernels, rather I'm only changing ondemand settings.
    * The video glitching persists even with Govnah closed.
    * The video glitches appear to happen with up_threshold above 50% (for me)

Go back and re read my post with the kernel settings keeping in mind that it's the same kernel, just different ondemand "profiles", I believe that I discovered the problem. It appears that for some reason Govnah was not applying the up_threshold (and some other) settings when I was originally trying to determine what was causing the video glitch a few days ago. And last night I also observed it not applying changes, perhaps I was neglecting to tap the "Apply Settings" button and it is entirely my own fault.

None the less, it appears that with an up_threshold greater than 50 that I see video glitches. I need to do more tests to verify for sure that "50% or lower" is the tipping point, and this will surely be dependent on other factors that effect system load. I suspect they are caused when the CPU switches frequencies and with the default up_threshold of 80% it would be switching down and then back up more often than with a lower threshold. I assume that video playback is a fairly low load process as I believe there are dedicated hardware video decoders in the cpu. So it only makes sense that load would be below 80% the cpu would switch frequencies, perhaps load would then rise, and it would switch back up to a higher speed. I can only conclude that all this switching is causing the video artifacts. All I am certain of is that during a quick test last night I had video glitches at 80%, 70%, 60% up_threshold and they "appeared" to stop at 50%. Am I the only one that is seeing this? Perhaps bumping up to 90% would introduce what I'm seeing for others?
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by circuitjc View Post
    I do and funny thing is I don't have many problems. Imagine that. Interesting. RTFM! =)
    <Rant>
    Don't yell at me, I do RTFM, and that's my favorite line, no fair using it on me!

ok, well I read the first post and few pages of this thread and a number of the other kernel discussions. And the Govnah app is fairly self explanatory, and it turns out that I was not doing anything wrong, there was a mis understanding. I wasn't doing benchmark tests with Govnah running which would be like doing disk benchmarks while running a disk check and raid resync. I consider myself fairly proficient at testing and debugging systems. Show me your Pre system data for the past 6+ months 4 WebOS versions and 3 homebrew kernels! It's a blessing and a curse but all the computers start behaving once I walk into the room. I'm not having a fatal problem, I just noticed an oddity that I thought I would point out, and I think I've got it solved. I believe that rwhitby misunderstood me, and thus the confusion.

Hay, isn't this all sorta homebrew stuff we're doing? Things are not going to be perfect. For example this morning my Pre appears to have froze 3 hours before I got up during the night as it was running in a 250-800MHz OnDemand profile. The 125MHz and 250MHz may have a tendency to do that, but how would I know if I didn't let it run in that state for some period of time?!
    </Rant>
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Are you by chance both alpha testing Preware 1.0.2 ?

Try installing them with the Avoid WebOS Bugs preference set to "No".

-- Rod
    Sorry Rod, when I added the testing feeds last week, I did not think about 2 versions of the same application being present and not being able to distinguish between them. I thought 1.0.2 was a regular release. I will be more careful about that in the future.

I also did as cdbillups did and was able to install the Uberkernel.

I apologize for diverting your attention away from more important things.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    @Dolio

Does setting conservative to act more like ondemand glitch too? (ie set freq steps to above 50%)

I've tried playing around with ondemand and I strayed away when I noticed the video glitches too.
  16.    #716  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolio View Post
    I too prefer wiki documentation and will catch up and read that asap.

I think we are misunderstanding each other.
    * For the last half a week I have been running the Uber kernel exclusively
    * I'm not switching between kernels, rather I'm only changing ondemand settings.
    * The video glitching persists even with Govnah closed.
    * The video glitches appear to happen with up_threshold above 50% (for me)

Go back and re read my post with the kernel settings keeping in mind that it's the same kernel, just different ondemand "profiles", I believe that I discovered the problem. It appears that for some reason Govnah was not applying the up_threshold (and some other) settings when I was originally trying to determine what was causing the video glitch a few days ago. And last night I also observed it not applying changes, perhaps I was neglecting to tap the "Apply Settings" button and it is entirely my own fault.

None the less, it appears that with an up_threshold greater than 50 that I see video glitches. I need to do more tests to verify for sure that "50% or lower" is the tipping point, and this will surely be dependent on other factors that effect system load. I suspect they are caused when the CPU switches frequencies and with the default up_threshold of 80% it would be switching down and then back up more often than with a lower threshold. I assume that video playback is a fairly low load process as I believe there are dedicated hardware video decoders in the cpu. So it only makes sense that load would be below 80% the cpu would switch frequencies, perhaps load would then rise, and it would switch back up to a higher speed. I can only conclude that all this switching is causing the video artifacts. All I am certain of is that during a quick test last night I had video glitches at 80%, 70%, 60% up_threshold and they "appeared" to stop at 50%. Am I the only one that is seeing this? Perhaps bumping up to 90% would introduce what I'm seeing for others?
    Thanks Dolio, I now see where you're coming from - my apologies for the misunderstanding.

So what you are reporting are not faults in anything, but simply cpufreq parameter values that do not give good results on a webOS device. That's good information to have, so that others can avoid those inferior settings (noting that they don't need to change kernels or scaling app to do so).

It was your comparison of scaling apps, rather than simply comparing the settings you were instructing each of those scaling apps to apply, which caused the misunderstanding for me.

-- Rod
  17.    #717  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    Sorry Rod, when I added the testing feeds last week, I did not think about 2 versions of the same application being present and not being able to distinguish between them. I thought 1.0.2 was a regular release. I will be more careful about that in the future.

I also did as cdbillups did and was able to install the Uberkernel.

I apologize for diverting your attention away from more important things.
    No need to apologise - reporting such problems is what alpha testing is all about

-- Rod
    Hi there,

I'm running UberKernel on my Pre since late last night together with Govnah. Used unixPsycho/caj2008's 720 MHz-patched kernel earlier and the transition was absolutely smooth.
    Thanks for all of your work.

Now. Are there statistics as to how many Pres manage the full 800 MHz or fall short to 720 MHz or even 600 MHz?
    I think of something like a poll with various options.
    Why do I do that? Because yesterday my phone reseted when I was at 800 MHz (which I hadn't tried before). And I don't know whether it was software or hardware. Search didn't help very much.
    I too had video glitching using ondemand, didn't matter what the frequency. Any time I ran need for speed this glitching was very apparent. No issues with performance mode though.
    Are plans in the works to create a new Uber Kernel that will include the firmware updates for the keyboard for Verizon Pre users? When I install the Uber Kernel all the issue with my keyboard are multiplied and brings double typing back and increases the likelihood of a missed letter. I love the Uber Kernel though and use it anyways but just wondering. Keep up the AMAZING work guys!!