Page 33 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2328293031323334353637384383133 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Agreed.

Which set of developers do you think will get to that first? It's an open architecture, and open source, so anyone with the skills and incentive can do it ...

The options are:

1) Contribute a patch to the Govnah service and app to do it (it'll need to handle reboot loops properly to be accepted here).

2) Contribute a Mojo patch which uses the Govnah service or FileMgr service or UpstartMgr service to do it.

3) Contribute code to CPUScaler Ultimate to allow it to recognise and support an extensible set of governors and scaling settings.

-- Rod
    I'm not a big fan of having the settings stay for a reboot as there are so many different ways that each Pre can respond but I would like to see some way of saving the current settings.

The current Govnah app has screen space available on the bottom of the screen maybe 4 buttons across the bottom would allow 4 different saves for testing. Each governor would have 4 save states that could be recalled after a reboot. The app would still start with the defaults for any of the governor you select.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    I just did a restart, uninstalled govnah and updated my kernel and am going to see if the kernal itself is causing any odd issues without an overclock.

I do have a concern with the "Update" though that I wanted to ask about. I updated from a previous version of Uber Kernel and it installed the files sucessfully. However, it also said it was backing up the existing kernel / files which I don't want during the uninstall process. If I need to go back to stock is the uninstallation going to restore my stock kernel or the previous version of Uber Kernel?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    under uberkernel (with screenstate at 500/800) I have had very few locks or luna restarts, many fewer than with prior kernels, including stock.

I was also running fine with smartreflex until my misadventure with sbromwich kernel yesterday forced a trip to the doctor.
    I ran great for awhile with stock. I found a couple apps that caused the restarts and issues with preware that caused the restarts and avoid them totally, or reboot after I use programs with known issues. I can say that my phone stock while avoiding those programs is fairly stable. So I'm using apples to apples in my tests.
    Last edited by mlepore; 05/08/2010 at 01:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    I just thought I'd let you know since you get so many people asking for stick on reboot when you've made it clear countless times what your approach will be and why. Thank you.

To those who keep asking for Govnah to stick, to my ear at least, it sounds ungrateful. I sure hope you're all donating to keep WebOS Internals running.
    I don't see any reason to call people ungrateful just because they provide feedback. No one is being mean. Rod and team have a popular item in the UberKernel and of course people who enjoy it (and who don't) are going to chime in about it. That's the purpose of a forum. I would guess that Rod and team want people to express their opinion (or maybe they want to work in a black box, I don't really know them. I do know they want help!). I know it's frustrating to read so many of the same comments and questions over and over, and that's because these threads become dauntingly large.

So I say keep up the Love, let the mean people fall by the wayside by ignoring them, and let creativity and collaborative design flourish. thorne
    Last edited by thornev; 05/08/2010 at 02:09 PM.
    +1
    I believe the feedback is also to help resolve issues. I use to program assembly lines, if people never expressed issues then fixes would never be made or addressed. Just like the camara issue, the concern was expressed and a fix met. It is what evolves an already great kernel into an even better one.
    installed the UBR kernel after unistalling the superkernal. I did however try and install the recovery patch for 1.4.1 on my sprint pre, though the patch failed due to stating it showed nothing to correct (so i assumed just hitting the unistall on the superkernal, it do infact return me to factory settings). I have also installed govnah, using the CPUscalerultimate scaling from 500-800 I must say the phone has no hiccups whatsoever. I did launch multiple games and too didnt get the too many card error, though my theory with that besides the ram limitations with the sprint version was that the phones factory scale trying to reach 600 without the extra ram, caused the error. Therefore running the phone at a min of 500 on the sprint version, would infact overcome any such error. So far my tests in that matter are for the most part correct. I say the most part because I did get a error using the superkernal, but when I just closed the launcher and reopend it and launched that specific program, it did so without that error again. Anyway great job, and I will be donating as usual
    Last edited by wellwellwell11; 05/08/2010 at 04:59 PM.
    I agree: Pure awesomeness. Very confusing and way over my head awesomeness, but awesomeness all the same.
    under uberkernel (with screenstate at 500/800) I have had very few locks or luna restarts, many fewer than with prior kernels, including stock.

I was also running fine with smartreflex until my misadventure with sbromwich kernel yesterday forced a trip to the doctor.
    How are you enabling SmartReflex? Do you use terminal commands or another method?
    All I know is 500-800 performance and the new case for my pre are going to make me not buy an EVO. This phone is now sturdy as any phone and fast....Thanks guys...
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    I don't see any reason to call people ungrateful just because they provide feedback. No one is being mean. Rod and team have a popular item in the UberKernel and of course people who enjoy it (and who don't) are going to chime in about it. That's the purpose of a forum. I would guess that Rod and team want people to express their opinion (or maybe they want to work in a black box, I don't really know them. I do know they want help!). I know it's frustrating to read so many of the same comments and questions over and over, and that's because these threads become dauntingly large.

So I say keep up the Love, let the mean people fall by the wayside by ignoring them, and let creativity and collaborative design flourish. thorne
    I agree with you 100%, however the issue he was addressing was not feedback, but the reset issue with Govnah that people have been complaining about, and shouldn't be if they read the Govnah thread.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    How are you enabling SmartReflex? Do you use terminal commands or another method?
    I used the upstart script from webos-internals.
  11.    #651  
    Quote Originally Posted by mlepore View Post
    I just did a restart, uninstalled govnah and updated my kernel and am going to see if the kernal itself is causing any odd issues without an overclock.

I do have a concern with the "Update" though that I wanted to ask about. I updated from a previous version of Uber Kernel and it installed the files sucessfully. However, it also said it was backing up the existing kernel / files which I don't want during the uninstall process. If I need to go back to stock is the uninstallation going to restore my stock kernel or the previous version of Uber Kernel?
    The update process first uninstalls the previous version, and then verifies with md5sum file checks that the files have indeed been put back to pristine condition before installing the new version.

So the backup is designed to always be guaranteed to be the pristine webOS files.

There is one non-fatal OTA update corner case that I'm not 100% sure is covered yet, and that is one of the things we are prioritising over saving settings in Govnah. The OTA update mechanism must be rock solid before we start making settings persistent.

-- Rod
    I used the upstart script from webos-internals.
    Got it working, thanks!
    Last edited by QuarlesLT; 05/09/2010 at 01:44 AM.
    My phone is set to reboot at 7am everyday,I sometimes don't remember to set screen state back to 800mhz... and to be honest it sucks. I can't do anything about it,cause I can't fix the problem. HOPEFULLY a fix might come sooner than later. THANKS FOR THE PATCH DEVELOPERS.
    I can't installUber-Kernel here is the error report:

Download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
    2 2985k 2 64428 0 0 40375 0 0:01:15 0:00:01 0:01:14 67534
    15 2985k 15 458k 0 0 170k 0 0:00:17 0:00:02 0:00:15 223k
    18 2985k 18 543k 0 0 151k 0 0:00:19 0:00:03 0:00:16 184k
    35 2985k 35 1054k 0 0 230k 0 0:00:12 0:00:04 0:00:08 267k
    53 2985k 53 1600k 0 0 286k 0 0:00:10 0:00:05 0:00:05 323k
    70 2985k 70 2099k 0 0 319k 0 0:00:09 0:00:06 0:00:03 408k
    88 2985k 88 2634k 0 0 347k 0 0:00:08 0:00:07 0:00:01 445k
    100 2985k 100 2985k 0 0 363k 0 0:00:08 0:00:08 --:--:-- 529k
    Install
    Begin installation of org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre
    Installing org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre (1.4.1-2) to root...
    Configuring org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre.postinst)
    Postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre.postinst 2>&1
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre.postinst: cd: line 22: can't cd to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre/additional_files
    Kernel confirmed to be compatible with this webOS version
    Forcing unconditional overwrite of all kernel files
    Creating backup of existing kernel files ...
    tar: /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre/backup.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre/backup.tar.gz: Cannot write: Broken pipe
    Fatal error occurred, unable to create backup tarball
    Remove
    Removing package org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre from root...
    Delete
    Rien d'intéressant.
    Failed
    Rien d'intéressant.

-- Envoyé depuis mon Palm Pre
    Last edited by cecemf; 05/09/2010 at 10:57 AM.
    cece, uninstall any other kernel, restart, install the recovery kernel, restart, then install uberkernel, then buy me a beer when it works!!!!
    I installed the kernel a few days ago and just love it. I haven't been here in a while and I've noticed sometimes when I pick my phone up and turn the screen on Govnah says it's on the minimum frequency. I have it set to screenstate 500 min and 800 max. I thought I read somewhere that the govnah app is misleading and could be displaying it wrong, but performance wise it seems to be running at 500. Is that a bug that I somehow missed here in the forums or am I wrong? Also, what are some recommended settings? I'd like the speed, but wanna conserve battery as well...
    "The Pre is nice..."
  17.    #657  
    Quote Originally Posted by cecemf View Post
    I can't installUber-Kernel here is the error report:

Download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
    2 2985k 2 64428 0 0 40375 0 0:01:15 0:00:01 0:01:14 67534
    15 2985k 15 458k 0 0 170k 0 0:00:17 0:00:02 0:00:15 223k
    18 2985k 18 543k 0 0 151k 0 0:00:19 0:00:03 0:00:16 184k
    35 2985k 35 1054k 0 0 230k 0 0:00:12 0:00:04 0:00:08 267k
    53 2985k 53 1600k 0 0 286k 0 0:00:10 0:00:05 0:00:05 323k
    70 2985k 70 2099k 0 0 319k 0 0:00:09 0:00:06 0:00:03 408k
    88 2985k 88 2634k 0 0 347k 0 0:00:08 0:00:07 0:00:01 445k
    100 2985k 100 2985k 0 0 363k 0 0:00:08 0:00:08 --:--:-- 529k
    Install
    Configuring org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre.postinst)
    Postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre.postinst 2>&1
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre.postinst: cd: line 22: can't cd to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre/additional_files
    Kernel confirmed to be compatible with this webOS version
    Forcing unconditional overwrite of all kernel files
    Creating backup of existing kernel files ...
    tar: /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre/backup.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre/backup.tar.gz: Cannot write: Broken pipe
    Fatal error occurred, unable to create backup tarball
    Remove
    Removing package org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre from root...
    Delete
    Rien d'intéressant.
    Failed
    Rien d'intéressant.

-- Envoyé depuis mon Palm Pre
    Looks like you were installing the Palm Kernel rather than the UberKernel, and the problem you experienced should be fixed in the new version 1.4.1-3 of the Palm Kernel.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Latest update.

Without touching the frequency I haven't got any luna reboots the last couple days which is the good news, however, I do notice some randomness on my Pre. My Pre's light isn't flashing when msgs or notifications come in, messages arrive at late and random times when a multi page msg is sent, screen turns off and "looks like" it's going to luna reboot but doesn't and now it's jumping into airplane mode all by itself when idle.

I'm going to hold out for the next Palm kernel update and try out the uberkernel again. The installs, updates and uninstalls are flawless which I greatly appreciate. Rod and crew are awesome! I'm hoping the new Palm Kernel update brings some stability to this OS as I don't think it's the kernel per say, but a combination of issues with the OS and certain program code as seen with Preware during an install. That being said I think a streamlined kernel with mininal modifications for increased frequency will bring even better results in the future which is what I'm really keen on getting / trying!

Thanks for all the good work guys! I haven't given up quite yet! I'm hardcore when it comes to squeezing performance out of my toys and look forward to giving it another go soon!
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Installing (Downloading) UberKernel with Preware 1.0 stalls at 1024K ??????

EDIT: Never mind, rebooting phone resolved this.
    Last edited by spud101; 05/10/2010 at 01:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlepore View Post
    It ran great for awhile with stock. I found a couple apps that caused the restarts and issues with preware that caused the restarts and avoid them totally, or reboot after I use programs with known issues. I can say that my phone stock while avoiding those programs is fairly stable. So I'm using apples to apples in my tests.
    Which apps/patches did you find that caused the restarts for you. I have this once in a while, did a Dr. two weeks ago, and it was fine until three days ago and now it happens 2-4 times per day, usually just a Luna restart, but anoying none the less.