Page 32 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2227282930313233343536374282132 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    pure AWESOMENESS
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Believe me, I understand what overclocking is and have done it successfully with my older Athlon processors and GeForce video cards on my PCs.

However, while I am interested in performance enhancements for my Pre that may come thru overclocking, I am also not interested in bricking it either. As such, the best testing information, IMO, comes from those who overclock and use their phones in their accustomed manner. So if someone has issues with CPU heating and hangups just by sending some email etc., then that is just as valuable (and even moreso IMO) as someone going balls out and leaving 15 cards open while playing 3D games underwater! The average user just never goes there.

My intent is to assist in finding an overclocking solution that works/adds value on the significant majority of Pre's for the significant majority of users.

I agree, trust me though, I had one card, clock and ko boxing open when the pre crashed. I never have more then 3 cards open at once and had no problems at stock values.

While I agree with the avg user statement inevitably everyone will play a hard core game with one or two cardsopen at the same time. IMO Testing cpu tolerance is to make sure the one time you have valuable information or an important call the phone or computer works regardless of what is happening.
  3.    #623  
    Quote Originally Posted by mlepore View Post
    Rod, would like to throw my 02 cents here about your new kernel. Firstly, the kernel even at stock speeds seems to run the pre better. Whatever was done I would like to say good work on that end. Secondly, I have serious concerns about the overclock. While initially I was having luna restarts I decided to go back to stock and I ran crash free for about 2 weeks. I installed the uber kernal and during KO Boxing @ 720 mhz performance it luna restarted again within the day. I just don't think the 3430 has the guts to run reliably next to the 3440 at elevated speeds. I'm not new to ocking as I have been doing it since my 486 66 till today and the tell tail signs of dropped information due to the overclock is all over the place. It may even be a memory issue with the speed but imo its not reliable, at least on my phone, as palm said. I currently have my pre at 600mHz and hope to have better results. I will let you know.
    This is why we have gone above and beyond with the packaging, installation (and more importantly, uninstallation and recovery) of the Uber-Kernel. We want to make sure that anyone who makes a decision to use these items can quickly and easily undo that decision.

Overclocking is not suitable for every device and is also not suitable for every person. Never has been, never will be. My intention from the start has been to make it accessible, but more importantly have safe and reliable installation and recovery paths (something which is often forgotten by others in the rush to be the first to get something released).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  4.    #624  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    There's a potential fix for that in Uber-Kernel 1.4.1-21 in the webos-kernels/testing/1.4.1 and webos-kernels/testing/1.4.1.1 feeds.

Anyone who alpha tests it, let us know in this thread how it goes.

If it fixes the problem, we'll release it tomorrow.

-- Rod
    Uber-Kernel 1.4.1-21 is now in the public release webos-kernels default feed in Preware.

Simply hit Update in Preware to install the new version.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    This is why we have gone above and beyond with the packaging, installation (and more importantly, uninstallation and recovery) of the Uber-Kernel. We want to make sure that anyone who makes a decision to use these items can quickly and easily undo that decision.

Overclocking is not suitable for every device and is also not suitable for every person. Never has been, never will be. My intention from the start has been to make it accessible, but more importantly have safe and reliable installation and recovery paths (something which is often forgotten by others in the rush to be the first to get something released).

-- Rod
    I still think the kernel is super cool and appreciate the work, but felt I should share my experience for others incase they are experiencing the same issues. I tried the 720mhz again and got another luna restart. This time when things got slow I opened up jstop and noticed a PID of 9999 and nodes -1 before the restart. No other processes were running except for jstop. Whatever happened all processes took a dump before the restart.
    Uber-Kernel 1.4.1-21 is now in the public release webos-kernels default feed in Preware.

Simply hit Update in Preware to install the new version.

-- Rod
    Wow, wow, wow. What can I say now you don't even have to uninstall the old Kernel to put the new one on. Worked great.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
  7.    #627  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    About a week Life moves fast, don't miss a thing! lol
    Quote of the month

-- Rod
    Installed 1.4.1-21 and the camera is working beautifully. SMS doesn't seem to be having weird issues directly off the TS, either. Thanks Marco and Rod.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    all we need now is for it to stick after a reboot...
    You can do that with CPUscaler
  11.    #631  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    all we need now is for it to stick after a reboot...
    Agreed.

Which set of developers do you think will get to that first? It's an open architecture, and open source, so anyone with the skills and incentive can do it ...

The options are:

1) Contribute a patch to the Govnah service and app to do it (it'll need to handle reboot loops properly to be accepted here).

2) Contribute a Mojo patch which uses the Govnah service or FileMgr service or UpstartMgr service to do it.

3) Contribute code to CPUScaler Ultimate to allow it to recognise and support an extensible set of governors and scaling settings.

-- Rod
  12. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    To Rod and the rest of the WebOS internals team, I'd just like to say that I appreciate your approach to OC development and your concern for making it as safe as possible for everyone. It is the reason why Preware and other WebOS Internals apps are so beloved by so many.

I just thought I'd let you know since you get so many people asking for stick on reboot when you've made it clear countless times what your approach will be and why. Thank you.

To those who keep asking for Govnah to stick, to my ear at least, it sounds ungrateful. I sure hope you're all donating to keep WebOS Internals running.
    Last edited by GHT; 05/08/2010 at 09:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    To Rod and the rest of the WebOS internals team, I'd just like to say that I appreciate your approach to OC development and your concern for making it as safe as possible for everyone. It is the reason why Preware and other WebOS Internals apps are so beloved by so many.

I just thought I'd let you know since you get so many people asking for stick on reboot when you've made it clear countless times what your approach will be and why. Thank you.

To those who keep asking for Govnah to stick, to my ear at least, it sounds ungrateful. I sure hope you're all donating to keep WebOS Internals running.
    +1

I couldn't have said it better.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I have a sugesstion for govnah. When you touch the freq or temp it would be much cleaner if instead of a supersize graph you see statistics such as min and max running values over the last X mins. When I switch between apps I can tell my temp was higher then current but have no idea how high. Also the stick on reboot would be cool.

Thanks again for all the work, btw no problems yet at 600mhz using screen state to change between 500 and 600.
    Rod, would like to throw my 02 cents here about your new kernel. Firstly, the kernel even at stock speeds seems to run the pre better. Whatever was done I would like to say good work on that end. Secondly, I have serious concerns about the overclock. While initially I was having luna restarts I decided to go back to stock and I ran crash free for about 2 weeks. I installed the uber kernal and during KO Boxing @ 720 mhz performance it luna restarted again within the day. I just don't think the 3430 has the guts to run reliably next to the 3440 at elevated speeds. I'm not new to ocking as I have been doing it since my 486 66 till today and the tell tail signs of dropped information due to the overclock is all over the place. It may even be a memory issue with the speed but imo its not reliable, at least on my phone, as palm said. I currently have my pre at 600mHz and hope to have better results. I will let you know.
    I have a similar philosophy. I have mine set on Performance with min. set to 550mhz and max. at 600mhz. The phone runs well and stays around 28C with decent battery life. You might want to try this setting.

+1 Currently running 600 and no issues yet. Very happy with the performance bump. IMO The pre needs it.

update - $#%@ I spoke too soon, waking my phone just crashed it. Has anyone tried 500 mHz to see if they get luna restarts? This would confirm a bug in the OS / the kernel much like Preware exhibits after installing new software. I am doing that now.
    Last edited by mlepore; 05/08/2010 at 10:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdbillups View Post
    I am still getting an unresponsive touch screen when notifications come in. Normally a couple of seconds of "lag" before I can tap the notification area and see the notifications.
    If you are using a kernel with my patches applied see Application:SBromwichKernel - WebOS Internals as what you are seeing might be intentional. Are the notifications waking the device up?

Cheers, Steve
    +1 Currently running 600 and no issues yet. Very happy with the performance bump. IMO The pre needs it.

update - $#%@ I spoke too soon, waking my phone just crashed it. Has anyone tried 500 mHz to see if they get luna restarts? This would confirm a bug in the OS / the kernel much like Preware exhibits after installing new software. I am doing that now.
    Mine froze about 4 or 5 times the day I originally installed the kernal. Since then however, I've had no problems. I do have it set to 550mhz now though. As a minimum that is.

Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Just wanted to express my gratitude for all the hard work the developers are doing. I'm one of the few who have had very little issues no matter what version or setting I use. I'm also glad you have the Uber-Kernel icon opening up to the description and changelog. Hopefully, as Rod stated, that'll stop the questions about it doing nothing. My ultra-low priority request is can the "more information" link in the Uber-Kernel app be made clickable?
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    under uberkernel (with screenstate at 500/800) I have had very few locks or luna restarts, many fewer than with prior kernels, including stock.

I was also running fine with smartreflex until my misadventure with sbromwich kernel yesterday forced a trip to the doctor.