Page 31 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2126272829303132333435364181131 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    No. Maybe one of the webos internals guys has an idea? You are using the latest version of Preware right? I am using 0.9.99 (replaced Preware Alpha).
    I'm using that version as well.

Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    what did you type in as the name?
    I used "webos-kernels-testing"

Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Was it still updating your existing feeds?
    Yes my other feeds update just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    There's a potential fix for that in Uber-Kernel 1.4.1-21 in the webos-kernels/testing/1.4.1 and webos-kernels/testing/1.4.1.1 feeds.

Anyone who alpha tests it, let us know in this thread how it goes.

If it fixes the problem, we'll release it tomorrow.

-- Rod

Running good here. No lag in camera, I haven't had new notifications... OK, just got a mail *while* typing and I could still type!

Seems OK to me so far!

Thumbs up!

M.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pmendez View Post
    I've just installed Uber-Kernel and Govnah (v0.2.5) using the latest version of Preware. However, when I open Governor Settings I only have 'ondemand' and 'userspace' available, and the max freq that either allow is 600MHz. Am trying to set at a higher frequency (720 or 800). Is there some step I am missing please?
    Did you restart your phone after the installation?
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Running good here. No lag in camera
    Same here. Took bunch of test pics without any lagging in generating the preview at the bottom-left corner. No random pauses.
    Thx.
    Quote Originally Posted by WillJitsu View Post
    I followed these steps and tried adding Index of /feeds/webos-kernels/testing/1.4.1.1/ but the "Add Feed" button just has the spinning circle. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Did you really put that final slash at the end, or was that just for typing here (a copy and paste out of your address bar)? It doesn't like that final slash, I've found.

M.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Yes my other feeds update just fine.
    I meant, while you were adding the feed were the others still in the process of being updated?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Did you really put that final slash at the end, or was that just for typing here (a copy and paste out of your address bar)? It doesn't like that final slash, I've found.

M.
    I tried it both ways and had the same results. On Preware's instruction page for the testing feeds, they do include the trailing slash: Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals

Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    I meant, while you were adding the feed were the others still in the process of being updated?
    No, they were completely finished updating.
    the trailing slash is automatically inputed. you do not add it at the end of the feed when adding it.
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    the trailing slash is automatically inputed. you do not add it at the end of the feed when adding it.
    I tried that as well. No luck.
    Rod, would like to throw my 02 cents here about your new kernel. Firstly, the kernel even at stock speeds seems to run the pre better. Whatever was done I would like to say good work on that end. Secondly, I have serious concerns about the overclock. While initially I was having luna restarts I decided to go back to stock and I ran crash free for about 2 weeks. I installed the uber kernal and during KO Boxing @ 720 mhz performance it luna restarted again within the day. I just don't think the 3430 has the guts to run reliably next to the 3440 at elevated speeds. I'm not new to ocking as I have been doing it since my 486 66 till today and the tell tail signs of dropped information due to the overclock is all over the place. It may even be a memory issue with the speed but imo its not reliable, at least on my phone, as palm said. I currently have my pre at 600mHz and hope to have better results. I will let you know.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mlepore View Post
    Rod, would like to throw my 02 cents here about your new kernel. Firstly, the kernel even at stock speeds seems to run the pre better. Whatever was done I would like to say good work on that end. Secondly, I have serious concerns about the overclock. While initially I was having luna restarts I decided to go back to stock and I ran crash free for about 2 weeks. I installed the uber kernal and during KO Boxing @ 720 mhz performance it luna restarted again within the day. I just don't think the 3430 has the guts to run reliably next to the 3440 at elevated speeds. I'm not new to ocking as I have been doing it since my 486 66 till today and the tell tail signs of dropped information due to the overclock is all over the place. It may even be a memory issue with the speed but imo its not reliable, at least on my phone, as palm said. I currently have my pre at 600mHz and hope to have better results. I will let you know.
    Interesting statement. I too have been overclocking my home-built PC's for years and can confirm what you say... overclocking can result in loss of data or an inability of the system's components to keep up with an overclocked processor. I'm curious to know if anyone who has overclocked their Pre has NEVER had an unexpected restart. Of course it can be pretty near impossible to diagnose unexpected restarts so proving it is the overclocking that is to blame is pretty tough. thorne
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    <snip>I'm curious to know if anyone who has overclocked their Pre has NEVER had an unexpected restart. Of course it can be pretty near impossible to diagnose unexpected restarts so proving it is the overclocking that is to blame is pretty tough. thorne
    I have a SPRINT Pre since October 2009.

Even before OC-ing; I never had a "too many cards" error or any type of crash.

With the Uber-kernal, I still don't have crashes or luna restarts or any of those types of issues. My main issue is battery life which was not great to start with on my phone and is terrible with various OC governors in place.
    Never had to do a battery pull EVER.

One of the lucky few I suppose.
    I finally got the kernel testing feed added in Preware. Seems there was a problem with the wifi connection I was using. Some things would load properly (web pages, feeds that were already in Preware) but I couldn't send emails or add a feed. Very strange. Thanks to everyone who tried to help.
    Since when its possible to install th 800 mhz kernel with preware?.
    Quote Originally Posted by _ThEcRoW View Post
    Since when its possible to install th 800 mhz kernel with preware?.
    About a week Life moves fast, don't miss a thing! lol
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Oops, just read the previous feeds on this problem (was I supposed to do that first;-) and this issue has already been addressed. Sorry, and thanx for not flaming me yet....
    I'm using the alpha kernel and only had a few seconds lag on the camera app (much better than I was getting on the other kernel.) I'm using the conservative setting with 250 as a min and 800 as a max. I am still getting an unresponsive touch screen when notifications come in. Normally a couple of seconds of "lag" before I can tap the notification area and see the notifications.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I have a SPRINT Pre since October 2009.

Even before OC-ing; I never had a "too many cards" error or any type of crash.

With the Uber-kernal, I still don't have crashes or luna restarts or any of those types of issues. My main issue is battery life which was not great to start with on my phone and is terrible with various OC governors in place.
    Never had to do a battery pull EVER.

One of the lucky few I suppose.
    Understand that an overclock requires stressing out the cpu and components. It may very well be that using the PRE primarilly as a phone and with small apps a problem may never come up. When overclocking it is critical to force the procesor into working hard to determine its stability. I run multiple apps, clock, ko boxing, open up camera etc etc on the fly to test the cpus stability. When I ock my computers I burn in the cpu with programs that run the processor 100% overnight. If it crashes or memory tests reveal errors the processor cannot reliably hold the processor speed. It may run, but random errors eventually turn the computer into an unstable monster.
  19. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Data point: I just installed 1.4.1-21, using screenstate (500/800) and so far the lag is much better. Just a small amount while playing Chain Reaction (it's a good barometer, since any lag is immediately obvious)
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    Believe me, I understand what overclocking is and have done it successfully with my older Athlon processors and GeForce video cards on my PCs.

However, while I am interested in performance enhancements for my Pre that may come thru overclocking, I am also not interested in bricking it either. As such, the best testing information, IMO, comes from those who overclock and use their phones in their accustomed manner. So if someone has issues with CPU heating and hangups just by sending some email etc., then that is just as valuable (and even moreso IMO) as someone going balls out and leaving 15 cards open while playing 3D games underwater! The average user just never goes there.

My intent is to assist in finding an overclocking solution that works/adds value on the significant majority of Pre's for the significant majority of users.