Page 30 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2025262728293031323334354080130 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peejayemm View Post
    BJS--

I am curious, what setting do you have govnah set to so that it works with the TS?
    Screenstate
  2. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    Since the update to 1.4.1-16 yesterday, my Pre is running at temps I've never seen before - COOL temps, that is. Not sure how this is happening, as I've not heard that anything other than the screenstate governor code had changed. I've used my Pre quite a bit - surfing web on WiFi and 3G, playing some 3D games, etc, and I've yet to see it go over 27C, and I've seen it as low as 16C, with a normal range of 20-22C. I'm using the conservative governor with the following settings:

500 min
    800 max
    30% up
    15% down
    10% step

The rest were left at default.

I've seen no crashes of any kind, and my phone is quick and responsive. I'll get some occasional lag when first opening the launcher, presumably as the CPU frequency ramps up. After that, no problem.

I am now going to experiment with dropping the min to 250 to see if it stays as cool and stable. I'll report back after 24 hours of stability, or when i begin to get crashes.
    Dropping the min to 250MHz caused a lot of stuttering whenever an app launched or a notification came in. I moved the up and down thresholds around as well as the step freq, but could not get rid of the stuttering. Battery life seemed a bit improved over the 500MHz min, but I'll be going back to my previous setting, quoted above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    The phone is now running much cooler even during extended phone calls. The battery life is now going about 14 hours, as opposed to it's previous 11 hours.

I consider myself to be a moderate user. A total of 2-3 hours of talk time total during the day. A stocks app doing updates every 5 min., and a Basecamp app that updates once every 4 hours. Browsing the net between clients, checking and answering emails, etc.

The Uber-Kernel has proved to provide a much better user experience than the stock kernel did. The system runs much smoother, more responsive, and stays cooler.
    If this is with the stock battery I'm impressed. Assuming this is the stock battery and factoring your usage I estimate your idle drain rate at about 2% (23 mA) per hour give or take 0.5% which is at the better end of all the rates I have seen since launch (june 2009). My idle rate on the 2600 extended is 1.5% (30 mA) per hour give or take 0.5%. Include your usage about 7% (80 mA) per hour compared to my peak usage (about same as you described) is about 3% (80 mA) per hour with the extended battery. Which is why I got the extended battery so with my peak usage I would make it through a 24 hour period before the battery dies.

Quote Originally Posted by rdixon14 View Post
    The first crash happened when I was switching between apps. The second crash happened during the night while on the TS. The third crash (Luna restart) happened while the phone was in sleep mode not on the TS. I think the third one happened when I received a phone call that I did not answer because I was not at the phone so a message was left. I suspect it crashed when the screen came on to tell me there was a call.
    Do you experience this if you set the freq to a fixed 800? Th reason I ask is a couple of your crashes are nearly identical to crashes I have been experiencing since webOS 1.4.0 release regardless of what kernel is present. But they seem to go away when I run at a fixed 800. Before I even started using custom kernels I would crash once a day most crashes occurred when the screen failed to turn on right away from hitting the power button or sliding the KB out but some of them occurred when switching cards, or going in or out of card view. I had one crash occur while I slept for the night (only reason I knew was the apps I left open were all closed). When I started using the custom kernels and scaling with the ondemand governor I can't say for sure it improved the situation but it seemed to crash less. In all likelihood both our experiences are not exactly tied specifically to what kernel is installed. I highly suspect it is something outside of that and simply coincides with our choices of changing to or from custom kernel and/or governor choice. The governor choice and settings may have a positive or negative effect on whatever that outside thing is. Personally I would continue to use uber-kernel and experiment with governor settings using Govnah and hopefully find a particular thing that works best and the crashes disappear like they did for me for some strange unknown reason.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    If this is with the stock battery I'm impressed. Assuming this is the stock battery and factoring your usage I estimate your idle drain rate at about 2% (23 mA) per hour give or take 0.5% which is at the better end of all the rates I have seen since launch (june 2009). My idle rate on the 2600 extended is 1.5% (30 mA) per hour give or take 0.5%. Include your usage about 7% (80 mA) per hour compared to my peak usage (about same as you described) is about 3% (80 mA) per hour with the extended battery. Which is why I got the extended battery so with my peak usage I would make it through a 24 hour period before the battery dies.
    I am still using the stock battery. Your drain rate estimate seems to come close to what I've seen using Battery Monitor.... I graphed out the numbers over the course of 4 separate sessions of about 3 hours each over two days use. (I don't tend to leave the Battery Mon. running, just for those measuring sessions) Depending on the usage through each of those sessions the drain rates were between 1.8% and 4.5% per hour.

Just to give you an example for today. My phone has been off the charger for almost exactly 11 hours so far. I am currently reading 36% remaining. This gives me a rough drain rate of 5.8% per hour over the course of the 11 hours. However at the 2nd 3 hour measuring sample I was showing a drain rate of 2.2%, this was after a 1.75 hour idle time during which I was busy with clients....no time to even look at the phone.... I've accumulated 48 minutes of talk time.
    Do you experience this if you set the freq to a fixed 800? Th reason I ask is a couple of your crashes are nearly identical to crashes I have been experiencing since webOS 1.4.0 release regardless of what kernel is present. But they seem to go away when I run at a fixed 800. Before I even started using custom kernels I would crash once a day most crashes occurred when the screen failed to turn on right away from hitting the power button or sliding the KB out but some of them occurred when switching cards, or going in or out of card view. I had one crash occur while I slept for the night (only reason I knew was the apps I left open were all closed). When I started using the custom kernels and scaling with the ondemand governor I can't say for sure it improved the situation but it seemed to crash less. In all likelihood both our experiences are not exactly tied specifically to what kernel is installed. I highly suspect it is something outside of that and simply coincides with our choices of changing to or from custom kernel and/or governor choice. The governor choice and settings may have a positive or negative effect on whatever that outside thing is. Personally I would continue to use uber-kernel and experiment with governor settings using Govnah and hopefully find a particular thing that works best and the crashes disappear like they did for me for some strange unknown reason.[/QUOTE]

I decided to give the new kernal release another try. Only had 1 Luna restart in 12 hours so far and I am still running CPU Scaler Ultimate scaling from 250MHZ to 800MHZ. If I continue to have problems I'll trying scaling from 500MHZ to 800MHZ. If I still have problems after that, I may try scaling with Govnah instead of CPU Scaler Ultimate. Before this new kernal release I had the usual restarts @ 1 per week that I figured was from the OS version - not from the Uber kernal. Before I did not have 3 in a day as I did immediately after the new kernal came out. Coincidence? I don't know, but I'm willing to experiment to see what works best. I'm hooked on speed now...
    I am running userspace with all settings at 800. My Pre seems to be happiest at a steady speed. Great battery life, temperatures are very cool (highest CPU over the last few days was 40 while streaming on TS), no weird restarts, very minimal stutter (which I have even when running stock kernel) occasionally when swiping through minimized cards, occasional camera freeze, occasional temporary stickiness with SMS if I pull off the TS and try to open a new one, but if I wait about two seconds before touching the SMS card it works fine.

When I ran screenstate at 500/800, I had huge battery drain and my phone was running extremely hot. Since each phone's CPU reacts differently to overclocking and scaling, YMMV, but for me steady 800 works the best.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I'm seeing the problem where the camera hangs for a couple seconds on launch and close. Annoying, but manageable. No other problems that I've found. I'm a fairly light user. Daily - a little web, Facebook, SMS (maybe 10 a day), and 15-20 minutes of talk, and a trip to Preware to update feeds. Charge on Touchstone every night.

Governor: Conservative
    MIN FREQ - 500MHz
    MAX FREQ - 800MHz
    SAMPLING RATE - 0.5 Seconds
    SAMPLING DOWN FACTOR - 1
    UP THRESHOLD - 70%
    DOWN THRESHOLD - 20%
    IGNORE NICE LOAD - FALSE
    FREQ STEP = 15%
  8.    #588  
    Quote Originally Posted by heltoupee View Post
    I'm seeing the problem where the camera hangs for a couple seconds on launch and close.
    There's a potential fix for that in Uber-Kernel 1.4.1-21 in the webos-kernels/testing/1.4.1 and webos-kernels/testing/1.4.1.1 feeds.

Anyone who alpha tests it, let us know in this thread how it goes.

If it fixes the problem, we'll release it tomorrow.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Updated and now phone is rebooting. Give me 3 minutes and we'll see if the camera freeze is still an issue.... I really really hope not.

Update:

Phone up and running, kernel updated, awesome stuff. No issues there of course.

Launched camera immediately after verifying new kernel had installed, launched much faster (about 1 or 2 seconds of gray screen then usable camera), MUCH better than before for me and NO FREEZES!! Used to be 5 or 6 seconds of gray before usable camera, then camera would freeze for a couple seconds. Camera works great still, just like always. Closed, played with various applications on phone, relaunched camera, same results. Much faster launch and time to being able to use camera, and no freezes thus far. Repeated this 5 more times, same result everytime.

This has made my day.
    Last edited by supercluver; 05/07/2010 at 11:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by heltoupee View Post
    I'm seeing the problem where the camera hangs for a couple seconds on launch and close.
    I have been seeing this happen as well. I have been using the screenstate with great succcess 500 - 800MHz.

Just the occasional freeze for a few seconds like the stock kernel. The camera/vid camera are more than a few seconds however. It seems locked up tighter than... I can minimize it and go about other things, so the Pre is not locked up, just the camera/vid camera app for more than a few seconds.

Just an observation.
    After this camera fix, I will be totally happy with my pre (I forgot about the vz keyboard). Thanks for all your incredible works WebosInternals
    After the recent Uber-Kernel update I now do not have the music skipping issue when the the Govnah is set in the "ondemand" position.
    Where can I find the steps to add the webos-kernels testing feed to Preware?
    Quote Originally Posted by WillJitsu View Post
    Where can I find the steps to add the webos-kernels testing feed to Preware?
    1. Take a look at this site: Index of /feeds/
    2. Find the webos-kernels/testing/"your webos version here (1.4.1 or 1.4.1.1)" url
    3. Load Preware, go into Manage Feeds.
    4. Go to bottom to add custom feed, type in the above url you found here.
    5. Compression is set to yes.
    6. Click Add Feed.
    7. Go out and select to update feeds when prompted.
    8. Celebrate by updating your kernel!
    Big thanks to unixpsycho, sbromwich, rwhitby, oil, and just everyone at the webos-internals team for all the work you do. You guys are indeed awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    1. Take a look at this site: Index of /feeds/
    2. Find the webos-kernels/testing/"your webos version here (1.4.1 or 1.4.1.1)" url
    3. Load Preware, go into Manage Feeds.
    4. Go to bottom to add custom feed, type in the above url you found here.
    5. Compression is set to yes.
    6. Click Add Feed.
    7. Go out and select to update feeds when prompted.
    8. Celebrate by updating your kernel!
    I followed these steps and tried adding Index of /feeds/webos-kernels/testing/1.4.1.1/ but the "Add Feed" button just has the spinning circle. I've let it sit there for about 5 minutes and it's still spinning. I tried this multiple times. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
    I followed these steps and tried adding Index of /feeds/webos-kernels/testing/1.4.1.1/ but the "Add Feed" button just has the spinning circle. I've let it sit there for about 5 minutes and it's still spinning. I tried this multiple times. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
    No. Maybe one of the webos internals guys has an idea? You are using the latest version of Preware right? I am using 0.9.99 (replaced Preware Alpha).
    what did you type in as the name?
    I've just installed Uber-Kernel and Govnah (v0.2.5) using the latest version of Preware. However, when I open Governor Settings I only have 'ondemand' and 'userspace' available, and the max freq that either allow is 600MHz. Am trying to set at a higher frequency (720 or 800). Is there some step I am missing please?
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Was it still updating your existing feeds?