Page 3 of 145 FirstFirst 123456781353103 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 2889
Like Tree17Likes
  1. rpr
    rpr is offline
    rpr's Avatar
    Posts
    212 Posts
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    #41  
    Do you need to do anything other than:

    echo conservative > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

    to enable the conservative governor?

    I've read the kernel docs, and it doesn't look like anything else is needed, if I don't want to tweak freq_step or down_threshold.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    Do you need to do anything other than:

    echo conservative > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

    to enable the conservative governor?

    I've read the kernel docs, and it doesn't look like anything else is needed, if I don't want to tweak freq_step or down_threshold.
    Nope just that.

    You might want to similarly set the scaling_min_freq to 250000 as well.
  3. #43  
    After uninstalling caj2008 and unixpsycho's (spelled correctly?) 800 MHz kernel and rebooting, I installed the Uber-kernel and received this error:

    Code:
    postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.postinst 2>&1
    Kernel confirmed to be compatible with this webOS version
    Verifying no existing modifications to target files ...
    Verification failed on /boot/uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/arch/arm/oprofile/oprofile.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/block/nbd.ko
    Device kernel is not in factory condition, refusing to install replacement
    What else do i need to uninstall?
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    After uninstalling caj2008 and unixpsycho's (spelled correctly?) 800 MHz kernel and rebooting, I installed the Uber-kernel and received this error:

    Code:
    postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.postinst 2>&1
    Kernel confirmed to be compatible with this webOS version
    Verifying no existing modifications to target files ...
    Verification failed on /boot/uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/arch/arm/oprofile/oprofile.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/block/nbd.ko
    Device kernel is not in factory condition, refusing to install replacement
    What else do i need to uninstall?
    That indicates that whatever uninstall you did has not restored the files back to pristine factory state.

    You really should use the WebOS Doctor to fix this, but if you are sure that other files like LunaSysMgr and PmNetConfig have been restored, then you could use the recovery Palm Kernel in Preware to fix the kernel files.

    -- Rod
  5. #45  
    I just posted my IPKG Log in caj and unix's kernel thread...

    Could I use WebOS Repair Utility instead of a full Doctor?

    I was able to restart Luna, that means that LunaSysMgr is working, thus it doesn't need to be restored?

    I know I may sound like a Linux-noob, but I learn computer-related things once so I don't have to ask twice.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    I just posted my IPKG Log in caj and unix's kernel thread...

    Could I use WebOS Repair Utility instead of a full Doctor?

    I was able to restart Luna, that means that LunaSysMgr is working, thus it doesn't need to be restored?

    I know I may sound like a Linux-noob, but I learn computer-related things once so I don't have to ask twice.
    I don't believe the WebOS Repair Utility handles binaries, but I could be wrong.

    Since the previous packaging of kernels by others included patches to other binaries (like LunaSysMgr and PmNetConfig) you really need to check if these are restored properly by checking md5sum values against a stock device, otherwise you may be exercising the kernel at higher frequencies due to patches to these files still being in place, and we have not started alpha testing of higher frequencies yet (so you would be doing that at your own risk).

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I don't believe the WebOS Repair Utility handles binaries, but I could be wrong.

    Since the previous packaging of kernels by others included patches to other binaries (like LunaSysMgr and PmNetConfig) you really need to check if these are restored properly by checking md5sum values against a stock device, otherwise you may be exercising the kernel at higher frequencies due to patches to these files still being in place, and we have not started alpha testing of higher frequencies yet (so you would be doing that at your own risk).

    -- Rod
    A couple questions:

    I had UnixPsycho's 720MHz kernel installed and I installed the recovery kernel 1.4.1 from preware, rebooted, and then installed the uber kernel, which worked just fine. I assumed that because it installed (after checking md5 sums of the stock kernel) that all was good. Your comment makes me think my pre might have remnants of unixpsycho's kernel. Is that correct? [update]: cat /proc/cpuinfo tells me I'm still at 720. Hmm.

    Where can I go to find the commands to control the cpu's governor?
    Last edited by cantstopengland; 04/22/2010 at 01:38 AM. Reason: added info
  8. #48  
    Also, Rod needs 32 more "Thanks!" to reach 3k. Let's make it happen!
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by cantstopengland View Post
    A couple questions:

    I had UnixPsycho's 720MHz kernel installed and I installed the recovery kernel 1.4.1 from preware, rebooted, and then installed the uber kernel, which worked just fine. I assumed that because it installed (after checking md5 sums of the stock kernel) that all was good. Your comment makes me think my pre might have remnants of unixpsycho's kernel. Is that correct?

    Where can I go to find the commands to control the cpu's governor?
    You should check to make sure that /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr is back to factory condition (check the md5sum against the value in the /md5sums file on the device). You will also need to restore the /etc/event.d/PmNetConfigManager file back to factory condition (again, check the md5sum of the file to be sure).

    Of course with WebOS Internals kernels, you just orange+tap to uninstall them cleanly ...

    Google for documentation of Linux cpufreq governor commands. Remember that we're not alpha testing that yet, so you're taking your own risks there.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Of course with WebOS Internals kernels, you just orange+tap to uninstall them cleanly ...

    -- Rod
    I do want to point out then, that after installing the recovery kernel, an icon appeared on my launcher: Kernel 1.4.1. Not knowing what to do about it, I ignored it and installed the uber kernel, which came with its own launcher icon. I then deleted the 1.4.1 Kernel icon. This started me thinking:

    I assume I can have multiple kernels installed; is there a way to change the boot parameters? grub? to select a kernel at startup? would there be any benefit to this? Also, if I had uninstalled the 1.4.1 recovery kernel (from the launcher) before installing another kernel, would I have bricked my phone?

    Also, love the snarkyism.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by cantstopengland View Post
    I do want to point out then, that after installing the recovery kernel, an icon appeared on my launcher: Kernel 1.4.1. Not knowing what to do about it, I ignored it and installed the uber kernel, which came with its own launcher icon. I then deleted the 1.4.1 Kernel icon. This started me thinking:

    I assume I can have multiple kernels installed; is there a way to change the boot parameters? grub? to select a kernel at startup? would there be any benefit to this? Also, if I had uninstalled the 1.4.1 recovery kernel (from the launcher) before installing another kernel, would I have bricked my phone?
    Actually we need to make the recovery kernel uninstall itself automatically.

    You can only have one kernel installed at a time.

    Just orange+tap to remove the Palm Kernel - since it's a recovery kernel, it does nothing on uninstall (a recovery kernel is designed to leave the files there). Removing it will not cause any harm.

    Also, love the snarkyism.
    We have made all of our work available under the GPL license, and hope that other groups will choose to use it.

    -- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/22/2010 at 02:10 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Actually we need to make the recovery kernel uninstall itself automatically.
    This has now been implemented in the latest versions of the Palm Kernel in the WebOS Internals feed.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  13. steiale's Avatar
    Posts
    118 Posts
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    #53  
    Installed the kernel and using the CPUscaler util from pete. Works great..!!

    Thank you so much for your effort..!! Will donate!
  14. #54  
    Installed this yesterday and had it scaling with CPUScalerUltimate, but really fancied learning more about how to manually configure CPU Scaling. Found lots of info by googling I'm now testing out the conservative governor, later I'm going to play around with the freq_step and down_threshold to try and optimise for my usage more.

    Nice update to Govnah too Rod, just 'had' to put it down in my quick launch so I can keep a nosey eye on it!
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanicalMind View Post
    Installed this yesterday and had it scaling with CPUScalerUltimate, but really fancied learning more about how to manually configure CPU Scaling. Found lots of info by googling I'm now testing out the conservative governor, later I'm going to play around with the freq_step and down_threshold to try and optimise for my usage more.

    Nice update to Govnah too Rod, just 'had' to put it down in my quick launch so I can keep a nosey eye on it!
    BTW, it's Oil who is doing all the Govnah front-end work. I agree it's pretty awesome. I just provide him a kernel and a service method to get the numbers, and he does the rest.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    BTW, it's Oil who is doing all the Govnah front-end work. I agree it's pretty awesome. I just provide him a kernel and a service method to get the numbers, and he does the rest.

    -- Rod
    Props to @Oil then, looking forward to that backgrounding support, as and when of course

    Just a small thought, I was considering a slight dent on resources if the icon was updating dynamically, if it updated every minute, that would be good. Unless there are reasons for it needing to be instant?
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanicalMind View Post
    Props to @Oil then, looking forward to that backgrounding support, as and when of course

    Just a small thought, I was considering a slight dent on resources if the icon was updating dynamically, if it updated every minute, that would be good. Unless there are reasons for it needing to be instant?
    We'll tune those sort of things later. Right now we want fast accurate measurements so we can characterise safe margins for the kernel.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  18. #58  
    Hi

    Thanks for all your work so far, I'm still on the "old" 800MHz.sh Kernel,
    but will switch soon (as I find time :-) )

    One thing I'm not sure about is how much of the missing Bluetooth features
    (obexftp ...) is part of the kernel or "just" a missing port of bluez apps.

    Is this something your going to add to the ‹berKernel?

    Thanks
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We'll tune those sort of things later. Right now we want fast accurate measurements so we can characterise safe margins for the kernel.

    -- Rod
    ah ok, makes sense Highest I've hit was 45, while using on demand and scaling 500-800MHz; the phone got pretty hot, had quite a few cards open and was streaming a youtube vid. I saw on your twitter you hit 49, anything higher yet?

    It's quite interesting keeping an eye on the difference of battery temp and CPU temp, I'm finding that the battery 'generally' displays a few degrees hotter than CPU.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttt_ttt View Post
    Hi

    Thanks for all your work so far, I'm still on the "old" 800MHz.sh Kernel,
    but will switch soon (as I find time :-) )

    One thing I'm not sure about is how much of the missing Bluetooth features
    (obexftp ...) is part of the kernel or "just" a missing port of bluez apps.

    Is this something your going to add to the ‹berKernel?

    Thanks
    As an educated guess, this kernel has nothing to do with the bluetooth chip and the profiles support provided by Palm's software. This kernel supplies CPU control only.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions