Page 29 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1924252627282930313233343979129 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rdixon14 View Post
    I updated to Uber kernal 1.4.1-16 yesterday through Preware, and in the 16 hours since the update, my Pre has crashed 3 times - 2 hard (required battery pull) and a Luna restart. I am running CPU Scaler Ultimate and not running Govnah app. I had been running the previous version of Uber kernal (from testing feed) for several weeks along with CPU Scaler Ultimate scaling from 250MHZ to 800MHZ without any problems.

The first crash happened when I was switching between apps. The second crash happened during the night while on the TS. The third crash (Luna restart) happened while the phone was in sleep mode not on the TS. I think the third one happened when I received a phone call that I did not answer because I was not at the phone so a message was left. I suspect it crashed when the screen came on to tell me there was a call.

At this point I removed Uber kernal and returned to stock Pre kernal until I decide what to do. I cannot tolerate the multiple crashes from the new version of the kernal. I would like to return to the previous version (unreleased) if I can figure out how to do that... Sure miss the speed of 800MHZ
    Perhaps you should give the updated version a second try before you deem it unusable. As most people seem to be getting better performance with the updated version.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I may sit on the side for a few days to see if anyone else has problems before I try it again. Possibly the problem is between CPU Scaler Ultimate and the new kernal. I was not having problems with the combo before the new kernal release and I had been running both of them (old kernal from testing feed) for several weeks. I loved the speed...
  3. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Since the update to 1.4.1-16 yesterday, my Pre is running at temps I've never seen before - COOL temps, that is. Not sure how this is happening, as I've not heard that anything other than the screenstate governor code had changed. I've used my Pre quite a bit - surfing web on WiFi and 3G, playing some 3D games, etc, and I've yet to see it go over 27C, and I've seen it as low as 16C, with a normal range of 20-22C. I'm using the conservative governor with the following settings:

500 min
    800 max
    30% up
    15% down
    10% step

The rest were left at default.

I've seen no crashes of any kind, and my phone is quick and responsive. I'll get some occasional lag when first opening the launcher, presumably as the CPU frequency ramps up. After that, no problem.

I am now going to experiment with dropping the min to 250 to see if it stays as cool and stable. I'll report back after 24 hours of stability, or when i begin to get crashes.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    i noticed it took almost 5+ mins for it to remove download and install the new kernel. just wanted to let everyone know it might take a while. just let it run it's course.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdixon14 View Post
    I may sit on the side for a few days to see if anyone else has problems before I try it again. Possibly the problem is between CPU Scaler Ultimate and the new kernal. I was not having problems with the combo before the new kernal release and I had been running both of them (old kernal from testing feed) for several weeks. I loved the speed...
    I do not think it is the CPU Scaler Ultimate causing the problem with the new kernel. I have been using it from the begining and still running it with the new kernel update. I have not had a problem at all. It might be something else causing your crashes.
    Double Post
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Has anyone the same problem??

Just start your cam and move it around. After some seconds the phone hangs for some seconds. Then it works again..

Exit cam app and the phone hangs again for some seconds..

Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by steiale View Post

Just start your cam and move it around. After some seconds the phone hangs for some seconds. Then it works again..

Any ideas?

I just tried that and yes, it hung briefly. Temp went up to 41 also. But the "hang" was only a few seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by steiale View Post

Any ideas?
    I'm experimenting with a different setting, Performance with min. set to 550Mhz and max. to 600Mhz. The camera runs fine and I seem to be getting improved battery life. Best of all the temperature is staying in the 27 to 31C degree range, very cool!

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Just tried to put phone into usb mode to add files for my work. It went into usb mode then restarted instantly. Anyone else have this prob since the update of the kernel? 1st time it has ever happened to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    I'm experimenting with a different setting, Performance with min. set to 550Mhz and max. to 600Mhz. The camera runs fine and I seem to be getting improved battery life. Best of all the temperature is staying in the 27 to 31C degree range, very cool!
    While 600MHz is indeed faster than what Palm locks the CPU at, it's a little bit defeating the purpose of this how New Kernel stuff, in my eyes anyway.

I did run tests and the Camera operates perfectly at speeds of 600 and under. At 720 and 800 is when it does it's stuttering/locking/etc.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    While 600MHz is indeed faster than what Palm locks the CPU at, it's a little bit defeating the purpose of this how New Kernel stuff, in my eyes anyway.
    The intention, from my perspective, is to find the highest overclock speed that works for the largest amount of phones without 'bricking' and delivers improved performance with acceptable battery life.

If it turns out to be only 600MHz; then that's just the way it goes.

Those posters who claim improved battery life and performance without crazy CPU overhearting @ 800MHz: I just don't experience that on my phone. 5-10 minutes of 800MHz and my phone is pushing 55C just websurfing.

YMMV though.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    The intention, from my perspective, is to find the highest overclock speed that works for the largest amount of phones without 'bricking' and delivers improved performance with acceptable battery life.

If it turns out to be only 600MHz; then that's just the way it goes.
    OK, point made. I can totally follow that logic!

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Those posters who claim improved battery life and performance without crazy CPU overhearting @ 800MHz: I just don't experience that on my phone. 5-10 minutes of 800MHz and my phone is pushing 55C just websurfing.

YMMV though.

I'm one of those crazy posters then! I get FAR superior battery life with running the CPU full bore at 800MHz. I'm beginning to think all this scaling is for naught since my battery life *seems* to go down the more I have it scaling. Why that is? I dunno. Rod keeps mentioning a "Race to Idle" condition (that I've yet to look up and see what the heck he's talking about...).

Dunno.

M.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Also noticed that scaling drains much more battery than fixed speed like 720 MHz. I like most of the times fixed 720 because it is the best compromise of speed and battery life. Try it and tell me..
    How about your camera? Does it stutter/freeze? Do you have the screen freeze up for a couple seconds when a new mail notification comes in?

M.
    No stuttering or freezing in either of the two apps. Both are launching and running smoothly. (I've NEVER seen the Pre screen freeze when a new mail notification comes in.....even under the stock configuration......weird if you've been experiencing that)

I did run tests and the Camera operates perfectly at speeds of 600 and under. At 720 and 800 is when it does it's stuttering/locking/etc.

M.
    Right now I'm experimenting. And like MudShark22 said, I'm trying to find a setting that gives me good performance and battery life without having to worry about my phone getting to hot.
    I'm very pleased with my current setting as my battery is staying below 32C and performance is snappy. I plan to widen the range to see what works best.

I'm one of those crazy posters then!
    Never called them crazy...just that I dont come anywhere near experiencing those same results!

Which is why I believe that the end purpose is to maximize everyone's experience (which is analogous to Palm 'limiting' the phone to 500MHz to start with)

Right now, I am getting decent performance and battery life from:
    ondemand
    500MHz min
    720MHz max
    1 second sample rate
    UP threshold 80%
    Bias= 1

Each day I try a different setting and see what occurs...
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Sorry if this has already been covered...but I've installed via Preware, the UberKernal and also Govnah (v.2.5). I can't seem to get 800mhz. The most it will allow me to select is 600mhz. Also, I only have two governors - Ondemand and userspace. Is there anything I need to do to get the 800mhz overclock and the additional governors??? any help is appreciated!!!

TIA!
    Quote Originally Posted by shinto View Post
    Sorry if this has already been covered...but I've installed via Preware, the UberKernal and also Govnah (v.2.5). I can't seem to get 800mhz. The most it will allow me to select is 600mhz. Also, I only have two governors - Ondemand and userspace. Is there anything I need to do to get the 800mhz overclock and the additional governors??? any help is appreciated!!!

TIA!
    Did you do a full reboot?
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hckyplayer024 View Post
    Did you do a full reboot?
    doh! yea, that worked....thanks!