Page 28 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1823242526272829303132333878128 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
  1.    #541  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    The recovery kernel is identified as version 1.4.1. Is that the same kernel as 1.4.1.1?
    Yes. The kernel packagin has a built-in compatible versions check, so it simply won't install on an incompatible version of webOS.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/05/2010 at 06:31 PM.
  2.    #542  
    Quote Originally Posted by djrider View Post
    I updated this morning v1.4.1-16 this morning and I am using CPU Scaler. Is there anything I might look for to assist in the testing?
    Since the major changes were in the screenstate governor which is not supported by CPUScaler, you should test for no change

-- Rod
  3.    #543  
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Since there are (or were) non-kernel things in the testing feed(s) that people might want to track, might I suggest a dedicated feed for kernels and related utilities. Or rename the testing kernel(s) so that they are not picked up by people who might want to follow the testing threads for other things.
    We're probably going to create separate webos-kernels-testing and webos-patches-testing feeds, since we also need to start alpha testing aupt-4 for binary patch support soon.

-- Rod
  4.    #544  
    Quote Originally Posted by Barona4 View Post
    Installed via QuickInstall but still also getting the same "kernel is not factory condition" message.

What is the fastest way to check the version to see if it is correct?

I no longer have a icon after the last update attempt.
    This is a result of using WOSQI instead of Preware as instructed.

In the future they will be compatible, but at the moment they are out of sync when it comes to kernel support (things are moving fast, so this is not a complaint about WOSQI or Jason).

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Since the major changes were in the screenstate governor which is not supported by CPUScaler, you should test for no change

-- Rod
    Well as of now, no change, running smooth and cool. Actually one change I did notice on CPUScaler. The 550000 state shows 0 all day. Before the new kernel there were times as you said in a previous post that I was running at that level. That is no longer the case. Kudos to all involved.
    Rod-
    I followed your advice and turned off the webosinternals-testing feed, but I am still showing the update to v1.4.1-16 when I open Preware. Does this sound right? I thought it shouldn't show that available update if the testing feed is off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach447 View Post
    Rod-
    I followed your advice and turned off the webosinternals-testing feed, but I am still showing the update to v1.4.1-16 when I open Preware. Does this sound right? I thought it shouldn't show that available update if the testing feed is off.
    Did you let it update the feeds after you turned that one off? If not, manualy update the feeds and it should go away. It did for me, anyway.

M.
    yes I did update feeds...that is why is seems so strange.
  9.    #549  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach447 View Post
    Rod-
    That's because based on the success reports from the alpha testers, we pushed 1.4.1-16 to the public webos-kernels feed

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    That makes sense. You guys are awesome. Thanks!!
    I've tries many stteings and thus far, using the performance governor at 720 or 800 gives me the best battery life.

all other governors have less battery life and less performance.

now at 800, I had a device crash last night... My Pre was on the touchstone and downoading the dev day keynote... When I went to sleep. In the morning when I woke up and wanted to check the time, it was on a black screen and needed a battery pull. Never had that at 720.

I guess that the best governor would be one that lower the frequency based on the cpu temperature... For example... Drop to the next lower frequency when temp is 45 and go up when it lowers to 40.

this would be the best thing for performance, battery life and safety.
    That's because based on the success reports from the alpha testers, we pushed 1.4.1-16 to the public webos-kernels feed

-- Rod
    Thanks for this clarification. I had read your warning previously, so I was a bit worried when I saw .16 appear for an update.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

In the future they will be compatible, but at the moment they are out of sync when it comes to kernel support (things are moving fast, so this is not a complaint about WOSQI or Jason).

-- Rod
    Actually I first attempted the update with Preware and received the same msg.

Preware is always the first choice for ease.

Should I go backwards to reinstall?

However the Gov is presently controlling in ondemand. Longest BAT. life choice so far.

Just not sure of the version.

-- Rod
    Yes, this problem was due to WOSQI.
    Problem solved for me with Preware and Stock kernel 1.4.1-2. Thanks!
    I hope nothing is left over from the older uber kernel. I have not tried to install the newest uber kernel.
  15.    #555  
    Quote Originally Posted by SK64 View Post
    Yes, this problem was due to WOSQI.
    Problem solved for me with Preware and Stock kernel 1.4.1-2. Thanks!
    I hope nothing is left over from the older uber kernel. I have not tried to install the newest uber kernel.
    Uninstalling the Uber-Kernel using Preware, or installing the recovery Palm webOS 1.4.1 Kernel, removes all trace of the Uber-Kernel.

I notice you said "Stock kernel" - I assume you meant "Palm webOS 1.4.1 Kernel".

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Update Report.

Updated to Uber-Kernel 1.4.1-16. The update process was accomplished with Preware Alpha.

After the new kernel showed up in Preware Alpha /Kernels/ I was able to just hit the update button and let the system download and install the new kernel. Everything went perfect!! Rebooted the phone after the install and reset the Govnah settings back to my preferences.

The new kernel seems to be running smoother, not faster, just smoother. So far it has been stable, even after using Preware Alpha to download an app. So far no reboots. (mind you it has only been about 4 hours)

Awesome work by all of the developers on this!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    I'm loving the Uber-Kernal so far with the exception that my battery drains faster then the stock kernel. Has anyone found a setting that gives the performance without the drain?
    I'm making the assumption that you are running the latest versions of both the kernel (1.4.1-16) and Govnah (0.2.5).

I've been running Govnah in the 'ondemand' mode with the following settings

min: 250
    max: 800
    sample rate: 0.2
    up threshold: 60%
    ignore nice: false
    powersave bias: 1

The phone is now running much cooler even during extended phone calls. The battery life is now going about 14 hours, as opposed to it's previous 11 hours.

I consider myself to be a moderate user. A total of 2-3 hours of talk time total during the day. A stocks app doing updates every 5 min., and a Basecamp app that updates once every 4 hours. Browsing the net between clients, checking and answering emails, etc.

The Uber-Kernel has proved to provide a much better user experience than the stock kernel did. The system runs much smoother, more responsive, and stays cooler.

Hope that helps.

-- Rod
    I updated to Uber kernal 1.4.1-16 yesterday through Preware, and in the 16 hours since the update, my Pre has crashed 3 times - 2 hard (required battery pull) and a Luna restart. I am running CPU Scaler Ultimate and not running Govnah app. I had been running the previous version of Uber kernal (from testing feed) for several weeks along with CPU Scaler Ultimate scaling from 250MHZ to 800MHZ without any problems.

The first crash happened when I was switching between apps. The second crash happened during the night while on the TS. The third crash (Luna restart) happened while the phone was in sleep mode not on the TS. I think the third one happened when I received a phone call that I did not answer because I was not at the phone so a message was left. I suspect it crashed when the screen came on to tell me there was a call.

At this point I removed Uber kernal and returned to stock Pre kernal until I decide what to do. I cannot tolerate the multiple crashes from the new version of the kernal. I would like to return to the previous version (unreleased) if I can figure out how to do that... Sure miss the speed of 800MHZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    I'm making the assumption that you are running the latest versions of both the kernel (1.4.1-16) and Govnah (0.2.5).

I've been running Govnah in the 'ondemand' mode with the following settings

The phone is now running much cooler even during extended phone calls. The battery life is now going about 14 hours, as opposed to it's previous 11 hours.

I consider myself to be a moderate user. A total of 2-3 hours of talk time total during the day. A stocks app doing updates every 5 min., and a Basecamp app that updates once every 4 hours. Browsing the net between clients, checking and answering emails, etc.

The Uber-Kernel has proved to provide a much better user experience than the stock kernel did. The system runs much smoother, more responsive, and stays cooler.

Hope that helps.
    I updated to version 1.4.1-16 yesterday and I've noticed an improvement already. My Pre is running much cooler.
    I'll give the settings you posted a try. Thanks for sharing.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post

How about your camera? Does it stutter/freeze? Do you have the screen freeze up for a couple seconds when a new mail notification comes in?

M.