Page 27 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1722232425262728293031323777127 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Just uninstall the UberKernel using Preware and reboot.

If that fails for any reason, you can use the recovery Palm Kernel to forcibly overwrite the kernel.
    The recovery kernel is identified as version 1.4.1. Is that the same kernel as 1.4.1.1?
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Had a scare this morning.

I have been using screenstate with 500/800 without problems. Last night I turned off all radios but voice and left the Pre off the charger as usual. This keeps the alarms running and barely drops the battery at all.

This morning I poped the Pre on the my TouchStone as usual. All I got was a low battery indicator. Not good. I did a battery swap just in case the battery failed. On the charger again started booting as usual. Started Luna boot, got the system notice that it was charging while still in Luna boot. Shortly after that I look at the screen and I see the shutdown anim.

Very not good.

It then proceeded thru a normal boot.

Set Govnah at screenstate 500/500, just in case.

Anyone see something like this before?
    I need to do some more tests, but my present best guess is that I had a loose/dirty battery contact.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeh20 View Post
    With the newest [1.4.1-16] update, does this mean screenstate will now run at the lower 250 frequency?

So far it doesn't seem like it is but ive only had it installed for 30 mins.

Would love to save some battery and have it move down below 500, especially since conservative will not work on my Pre (due to losing data conectivity).

Thanks for the update!

(Not sure if this should be in the Govnah thread or here, since the uber was listed as having improved screenstate??? Please move if needed.)

According to Rod's post, it fixes the issues related to the Touchstone charging--it does not allow lower CPU speeds during the "off" state of the LCD screen.
    Since some Pre units have weird issues with scaling down below 500mhz, I think the screen state feature was originally created by unixpsycho using 500mhz as the low speed.
    Last edited by rogerkang; 05/05/2010 at 10:35 AM. Reason: additional info
    To all those people who installed the Uber-Kernel before it was available in the default Preware feeds, and still have the WebOS Internals Testing Feeds enabled, you may wish to disable those feeds at this point in time.

To do so, just access the Manage Feeds page in Preware, and turn off the webosinternals-testing feeds. Do not turn off the normal webos-internals feed, as you will need that to get future public updates of Preware, Uber-Kernel and Govnah.

Sometime in the next 24 hours, there is likely to be a new alpha testing version of the Uber-Kernel containing improved screenstate governor transition detection. If you happen to leave the testing feeds enabled, you may end up being involved in alpha testing when you may prefer waiting for the public release of the updated version.

-- Rod
    Thanks for posting this, I saw the Uber-Kernel update before I turned off the feed. Good thing I looked at this thread first lol.
    I assume we should also turn off the testarm feed as well.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Rod - Would you mind putting your kernel updates in post #1 so we don't have to go searching thru so many pages for update info? It would be great to have it in this format:

Date - Version/Release - download link/instructions
    Change description

Thanks for your consideration and I wish all developers would do this. thorne
    To all those people who installed the Uber-Kernel before it was available in the default Preware feeds, and still have the WebOS Internals Testing Feeds enabled, you may wish to disable those feeds at this point in time.

To do so, just access the Manage Feeds page in Preware, and turn off the webosinternals-testing feeds. Do not turn off the normal webos-internals feed, as you will need that to get future public updates of Preware, Uber-Kernel and Govnah.

Sometime in the next 24 hours, there is likely to be a new alpha testing version of the Uber-Kernel containing improved screenstate governor transition detection. If you happen to leave the testing feeds enabled, you may end up being involved in alpha testing when you may prefer waiting for the public release of the updated version.

-- Rod
    I updated this morning v1.4.1-16 this morning and I am using CPU Scaler. Is there anything I might look for to assist in the testing?
    Last edited by djrider; 05/05/2010 at 11:23 AM.
    For those that still have the WebOS Internals Testing Feed enabled (even after my warnings a few posts above this one), you will find a new "Testing" version of the Uber-Kernel in that feed (it is version 1.4.1-16).
    I've updated to kernel 1.4.1-16 through Preware Alpha 0.9.68. It has shown no errors, and asked to reboot once updated.

After reboot, the Uber-Kernel icon shows the expected information (v1.4.1-16 - Improved screenstate transition detection), and Preware also shows the correct kernel version, but... only the default Palm kernel options are available (ondemand/userspace & 125/250/500/550/600MHz), either through Govnav or CPUScalerUltimate.

Fortunately, a reboot did solve the issue 8-)
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quini View Post
    I've updated to kernel 1.4.1-16 through Preware Alpha 0.9.68. It has shown no errors, and asked to reboot once updated.

After reboot, the Uber-Kernel icon shows the expected information (v1.4.1-16 - Improved screenstate transition detection), and Preware also shows the correct kernel version, but... only the default Palm kernel options are available (ondemand/userspace & 125/250/500/550/600MHz), either through Govnav or CPUScalerUltimate.

Fortunately, a reboot did solve the issue 8-)
    What happened to me after updating the kernel is that CPUScaler was removed from my quick launch bar (but icon in launcher is still there) and, even though I have scaling set to 250-800, the CPUScaler stats show the min freq as 125. thorne
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    What happened to me after updating the kernel is that CPUScaler was removed from my quick launch bar (but icon in launcher is still there) and, even though I have scaling set to 250-800, the CPUScaler stats show the min freq as 125. thorne
    I have that also but i have it set to scaling at 500-800. In stats it shows all zero's at 250 and 125.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I have updated to latest uberkernal and have govnah and cpuscaler ultimate I use cpuscaler to scale to 720 max and to 125 in low power state have not had any issues or crashes. Install was smooth. I had spk loaded prior and used that to uninstal prev custom kernal all via preware. Update came this am in preware and hit update on uber kernal and updated and rebooted witout incident keeping my settings from cpuscaler. Awesome job to everyone!!
    Quote Originally Posted by agiudici View Post
    I have updated to latest uberkernal and have govnah and cpuscaler ultimate I use cpuscaler to scale to 720 max and to 125 in low power state have not had any issues or crashes. Install was smooth. I had spk loaded prior and used that to uninstal prev custom kernal all via preware. Update came this am in preware and hit update on uber kernal and updated and rebooted witout incident keeping my settings from cpuscaler. Awesome job to everyone!!
    Same results here with cpuscaler ultimate and uberkernel update. Everything was without any incidents! Great job.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xanthinealkaloid View Post
    ROTFL...smart & funny...Your wife must be quite pleased with herself.

Anyhow, it's just great to see the way this work has come along...I'm definitely going to get this installed today sometime.

I'm curious to find out how the screenstate governor reacts with the proximity sensor.

My apologies for the mostly useless post.
    i was just looking at my Govnah, and tried picking up from touchstone and just turning on with unlock on touchstone, and it went from 500->800 appropriately. I then called my house (at work, just wanted phone on to check proximity sensor) and after 5 seconds, ended call, checked govnah, and it did throttle down to 500 and right back up to 800. This app/kernel/tandem thingy is just awesome! Thanks Rod and WebOS Internals!
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts

-- Rod
    Since there are (or were) non-kernel things in the testing feed(s) that people might want to track, might I suggest a dedicated feed for kernels and related utilities. Or rename the testing kernel(s) so that they are not picked up by people who might want to follow the testing threads for other things.
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    ... and, even though I have scaling set to 250-800, the CPUScaler stats show the min freq as 125. thorne
    I understand you're using ondemand governor. If that's the case, the workarround that's appeared in this thread is to set "powersave bias" to 1 (it defaults to 0)...
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Installed via QuickInstall but still also getting the same "kernel is not factory condition" message.

What is the fastest way to check the version to see if it is correct?

I no longer have a icon after the last update attempt.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quini View Post
    I understand you're using ondemand governor. If that's the case, the workarround that's appeared in this thread is to set "powersave bias" to 1 (it defaults to 0)...
    Yeah I read that. powersave bias is set to 1 so it must be something else. I also had a mysterious power (battery) drain this afternoon. Have no idea what caused that. thorne
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bjs188 View Post
    i was just looking at my Govnah, and tried picking up from touchstone and just turning on with unlock on touchstone, and it went from 500->800 appropriately. I then called my house (at work, just wanted phone on to check proximity sensor) and after 5 seconds, ended call, checked govnah, and it did throttle down to 500 and right back up to 800. This app/kernel/tandem thingy is just awesome! Thanks Rod and WebOS Internals!
    BJS--

I am curious, what setting do you have govnah set to so that it works with the TS?
    I'm loving the Uber-Kernal so far with the exception that my battery drains faster then the stock kernel. Has anyone found a setting that gives the performance without the drain?
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by Barona4 View Post
    Installed via QuickInstall but still also getting the same "kernel is not factory condition" message.

What is the fastest way to check the version to see if it is correct?

I no longer have a icon after the last update attempt.
    I have the same issue....

I am not able to update the uber kernel nor to install the stock kernel.
  20.    #540  
    Quote Originally Posted by SK64 View Post
    I have the same issue....

I am not able to update the uber kernel nor to install the stock kernel.
    You should use Preware to update the kernel.

-- Rod