Page 26 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1621222324252627282930313676126 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    I've had my pre crash a few times in the last week but I can't isolate why it does. I'm highly doubtful at this time it has anything to do with freq settings. My reason for thinking so is that it seems to crash regardless of how high the min is. I know when running at fixed 800 it is stable as I have ran it at that for weeks before trying out scaling. Is it possible that it is scaling up or down to fast and that is the cause? In other words I need to adjust other settings besides the min and max freq? Or is it that I'm figuring it has something to do with scaling but really is something completely outside that is causing the crash?

Perhaps the 1.4 bug has crept back up on me that I thought had disappeared? It is always so hard to track down causes on my device because my daily usage changes so much day to day like using different apps each day or certain things much more one day than another. The recent crashes have all happened when going to or from card view or swapping between cards. I have not seen a pattern to it other than when the crash occurs. The way this differs from the 1.4 bug is that when that was occurring it was always a crash as a result of the device not waking properly when an action that turns the screen on occurred (power button, open KB, press a key if it was open, etc). For now I have changed settings to 800 with the userspace governor so that it stays at teh fixed 800 to see what happens over the next week give or take.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I had stability problems when I used settings that had the CPU switching frequencies multiple times a second. I run the conservative govenor since it scales up and down smoothly instead of jumping all over the place. I have been using the same settings for more than a week now and they work excellent for me.

Of course your milage may vary.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    well, I've been using screnstate and smartreflex for almost 30 hours with no problems.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    I have had some stability issues, but I think some of that may be related to having the "low side" of things set at 250 or 125 MHz. Sitting at 500 now, but same state at 800. Will see how that goes.

Another odd thing to happen today was several "Too many cards" errors, something I haven't seen in a long while. One even happened while my phone was in my pocket and I hadn't touched it for several minutes. Can't figure out why it has done it though, once again I am guessing poor settings for my phone.
    Thanks rwhitby

Can 1.4.0 Support "screenstate" ?
  6.    #506  
    Quote Originally Posted by ppcjacky View Post
    Thanks rwhitby

Can 1.4.0 Support "screenstate" ?
    We don't have a kernel build with the screenstate governor for 1.4.0 and since none of the kernel developers are still on 1.4.0 it is unlikely that we would create one.

Our patches and build scripts are open source and published if someone else wants to build and release such a kernel.

-- Rod
    Thanks rwhitby for quick and kindly reply , i will update to 1.4.1.1 soon
    Whats the difference betwen govnah and cpuscaler ultimate ?
  9.    #509  
    To all those people who installed the Uber-Kernel before it was available in the default Preware feeds, and still have the WebOS Internals Testing Feeds enabled, you may wish to disable those feeds at this point in time.

To do so, just access the Manage Feeds page in Preware, and turn off the webosinternals-testing feeds. Do not turn off the normal webos-internals feed, as you will need that to get future public updates of Preware, Uber-Kernel and Govnah.

Sometime in the next 24 hours, there is likely to be a new alpha testing version of the Uber-Kernel containing improved screenstate governor transition detection. If you happen to leave the testing feeds enabled, you may end up being involved in alpha testing when you may prefer waiting for the public release of the updated version.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  10.    #510  
    Quote Originally Posted by mebe View Post
    Whats the difference betwen govnah and cpuscaler ultimate ?
    What similarities and differences have you discerned so far by reading the documentation associated with each?

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    To all those people who installed the Uber-Kernel before it was available in the default Preware feeds, and still have the WebOS Internals Testing Feeds enabled, you may wish to disable those feeds at this point in time.

To do so, just access the Manage Feeds page in Preware, and turn off the webosinternals-testing feeds. Do not turn off the normal webos-internals feed, as you will need that to get future public updates of Preware, Uber-Kernel and Govnah.

Sometime in the next 24 hours, there is likely to be a new alpha testing version of the Uber-Kernel containing improved screenstate governor transition detection. If you happen to leave the testing feeds enabled, you may end up being involved in alpha testing when you may prefer waiting for the public release of the updated version.

-- Rod
    Thanks for the heads up!
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Had a scare this morning.

I have been using screenstate with 500/800 without problems. Last night I turned off all radios but voice and left the Pre off the charger as usual. This keeps the alarms running and barely drops the battery at all.

This morning I poped the Pre on the my TouchStone as usual. All I got was a low battery indicator. Not good. I did a battery swap just in case the battery failed. On the charger again started booting as usual. Started Luna boot, got the system notice that it was charging while still in Luna boot. Shortly after that I look at the screen and I see the shutdown anim.

Very not good.

It then proceeded thru a normal boot.

Set Govnah at screenstate 500/500, just in case.

Anyone see something like this before?
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    With the newest [1.4.1-16] update, does this mean screenstate will now run at the lower 250 frequency?

So far it doesn't seem like it is but ive only had it installed for 30 mins.

Would love to save some battery and have it move down below 500, especially since conservative will not work on my Pre (due to losing data conectivity).

Thanks for the update!

(Not sure if this should be in the Govnah thread or here, since the uber was listed as having improved screenstate??? Please move if needed.)
    Last edited by mikeh20; 05/05/2010 at 08:57 AM.
  14.    #514  
    For those that still have the WebOS Internals Testing Feed enabled (even after my warnings a few posts above this one), you will find a new "Testing" version of the Uber-Kernel in that feed (it is version 1.4.1-16).

Here are the intended changes. Since by enabling the Testing Feed you are agreeing to be part of the alpha testing phase, you will be the ones to identify any unintended changes ...

1) The kernel icon should now do something when you click on it. In fact, it should display some documentation about the kernel, and also the changelog.

2) A minor error in the forward-porting of the overclocking patch meant that for the short time period between when the kernel started booting to when LunaSysMgr started running, the kernel was clocked at 550MHz instead of 500MHz. This error has now been corrected. We do not expect this to have been the cause of any problems, nor do we expect it to solve any old problems or cause any new problems.

3) The screenstate governor has had some additional logic added to it to attempt to prevent the CPU scaling inversion problem that some people were experiencing. Note that this is an intermediate work-around and is not considered the final fix for these touchstone issues (we're still working on how to reliably detect all touchstone related events). With this new version of the screenstate governor, we expect correct operation for anyone who does not alter the built-in minimum brightness of the device by patches or applications. We are still working on mechanisms to detect touchstone events without relying on threshold brightness values.

We're interested in reports of incorrect touchstone operation primarily from those people who are using this new version and have not modified the built-in minimum brightness values of the device by patches or applications like Brightness Unlinked.

Please report any other weirdness you experience, but do so with the expectation that individual problems are rarely examined closely until they are either (1) reproduced immediately after a fresh webOS Doctor, (2) reproduced by one of the developers, (3) experienced in exactly the same way by a large number of people, or (4) recognised as a trend or corner case across a large number of people.

You should ensure you are running the latest version of Preware (0.9.38) or Preware Alpha (0.9.68) before using either of them to update your kernel. Note that you can simply hit the update button now - there is no need to uninstall and then reinstall separately. Please report any problems with the upgrade process only if you are using those specific versions of Preware or Preware Alpha. If you use anything else, you're on your own.

-- Rod
    For those that still have the WebOS Internals Testing Feed enabled (even after my warnings a few posts above this one), you will find a new "Testing" version of the Uber-Kernel in that feed (it is version 1.4.1-16).

Here are the intended changes. Since by enabling the Testing Feed you are agreeing to be part of the alpha testing phase, you will be the ones to identify any unintended changes ...

1) The kernel icon should now do something when you click on it. In fact, it should display some documentation about the kernel, and also the changelog.

2) A minor error in the forward-porting of the overclocking patch meant that for the short time period between when the kernel started booting to when LunaSysMgr started running, the kernel was clocked at 550MHz instead of 500MHz. This error has now been corrected. We do not expect this to have been the cause of any problems, nor do we expect it to solve any old problems or cause any new problems.

3) The screenstate governor has had some additional logic added to it to attempt to prevent the CPU scaling inversion problem that some people were experiencing. Note that this is an intermediate work-around and is not considered the final fix for these touchstone issues (we're still working on how to reliably detect all touchstone related events). With this new version of the screenstate governor, we expect correct operation for anyone who does not alter the built-in minimum brightness of the device by patches or applications. We are still working on mechanisms to detect touchstone events without relying on threshold brightness values.

We're interested in reports of incorrect touchstone operation primarily from those people who are using this new version and have not modified the built-in minimum brightness values of the device by patches or applications like Brightness Unlinked.

Please report any other weirdness you experience, but do so with the expectation that individual problems are rarely examined closely until they are either (1) reproduced immediately after a fresh webOS Doctor, (2) reproduced by one of the developers, (3) experienced in exactly the same way by a large number of people, or (4) recognised as a trend or corner case across a large number of people.

You should ensure you are running the latest version of Preware (0.9.38) or Preware Alpha (0.9.68) before using either of them to update your kernel. Note that you can simply hit the update button now - there is no need to uninstall and then reinstall separately. Please report any problems with the upgrade process only if you are using those specific versions of Preware or Preware Alpha. If you use anything else, you're on your own.

-- Rod
    OK. Now I'm confused. I do see the documentation when tapping the icon. However, it says v1.4.1-13 with "initial public release" under that. When I load Preware and look at the UK, it sasy I am running v1.4.1-13. If I am running that version, why would I see documentation when tapping the icon if that was restricted to the alpha testing version?
  16.    #516  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    OK. Now I'm confused. I do see the documentation when tapping the icon. However, it says v1.4.1-13 with "initial public release" under that. When I load Preware and look at the UK, it sasy I am running v1.4.1-13. If I am running that version, why would I see documentation when tapping the icon if that was restricted to the alpha testing version?
    The application documentation and changelog was added to the stable version too (to reduce the number of queries we get from people who click on the icon). Since the kernel itself was not modified, we didn't change the version number (as having that version number change at the same time as the alpha version number changing would be even more confusing).

I'm surprised as to why your Preware thought it had to update. Were you running an earlier -9 version of the Uber-Kernel or something?

-- Rod
    (removing totally wrong information)
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 05/05/2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Sorry, I was totally wrong...
    The application documentation and changelog was added to the stable version too (to reduce the number of queries we get from people who click on the icon). Since the kernel itself was not modified, we didn't change the version number (as having that version number change at the same time as the alpha version number changing would be even more confusing).

I'm surprised as to why your Preware thought it had to update. Were you running an earlier -9 version of the Uber-Kernel or something?

-- Rod
    Nope. But I did run Preware this morning with the testing feeds activated; that was when the update appeared. So am I correct in saying there is no way of telling which version I have in place? Opening it in Preware or tapping the icon both suggest the 13 version, not the 16, but I can always remove it and reinstall from regular Preware, correct?
  19.    #519  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Nope. But I did run Preware this morning with the testing feeds activated; that was when the update appeared. So am I correct in saying there is no way of telling which version I have in place? Opening it in Preware or tapping the icon both suggest the 13 version, not the 16, but I can always remove it and reinstall from regular Preware, correct?
    Yes, you should always be able to safely remove and reinstall the Uber-Kernel using Preware.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    It's easier than that....you can use Orange Symbol-Delete on the icon if you want to revert to stock Pre kernel...pretty awesome!

You might want to delete this post so it doesn't confuse people that don't read every post and realize this isn't really correct... just a suggestion.