Page 25 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1520212223242526272829303575125 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbyboy View Post
    Thanks, I'll end up doctoring it.
    Another option to consider before doctoring is http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...y-v2-01-a.html, which will go through your webos, file by file, and find anything that doesn't match what's in the webos doctor, then give you the option to revert back to the file in webos doctor. I had a problem deleting a previous version of caj2008's kernel, and I was able to get back to a pristine state using webos repair utility.

$0.02
    Twitter: dullgeek
    There's a couple details about the Uber-Kernel that I feel like I'm missing.

1. I currently have the 800mhz.sh kernel installed. Do I need to uninstall this before installing the Uber-Kernel?

2. Will I have to uninstall/disable anything in Uber-Kernel prior to installing an OS update?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by donnydonny View Post
    There's a couple details about the Uber-Kernel that I feel like I'm missing.

1. I currently have the 800mhz.sh kernel installed. Do I need to uninstall this before installing the Uber-Kernel?

2. Will I have to uninstall/disable anything in Uber-Kernel prior to installing an OS update?

Thanks in advance!
    1. YES!!!! Don't mean to shout, but I do want to make sure you uninstall any other kernel modifications before installing UK.

2.I think this has been mentioned by Rod and others elsewhere in this thread, but I can't remember where, nor can I remember the answer. Sorry.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    I haven't told developers how awesome they are lately... thank you guys for rocking the world.

I have a big hypothetical question for you now that the uberkernel is available on the new version of Preware.

Let's say I install uberkernel, and it's cool but for some reason or another I want to remove it. Do I simply uninstall it like you do with a patch and everything is back to normal?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    It's easier than that....you can use Orange Symbol-Delete on the icon if you want to revert to stock Pre kernel...pretty awesome!
    No freaking way! I love the group of geniuses responsible for this.

I can't stop bragging about my phone (seriously my girlfriend who bought it for me as a birthday present is sick of hearing about it)... and it's you awesome people who are responsible for that fact.

Palm created the stage, but you guys are the writers, set designers, directors, actors, and orchestra that make my Pre a #1 smash hit.

I seriously had a friend who told me he never thought I was a tech geek until last June rolled around.

Preware... Patches... and now Kernels...

I'm going to make my first donation to webosinternals... free-rider no more.
  6.    #486  
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    It's easier than that....you can use Orange Symbol-Delete on the icon if you want to revert to stock Pre kernel...pretty awesome!
    At the moment, we recommend uninstalling via Preware's Installed Packages list.

The orange+tap functionality only works if you use Preware Alpha (soon to be Preware 1.0) instead of the current Preware 0.9.38 version.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    At the moment, we recommend uninstalling via Preware's Installed Packages list.

The orange+tap functionality only works if you use Preware Alpha (soon to be Preware 1.0) instead of the current Preware 0.9.38 version.

-- Rod
    Opps...my bad. I forgot it has to be Preware Alpha...thanks for fixing my boo-boo, Rod. It's still pretty awesome, though! Much quicker than using command line...
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

First thanks for this fantastic Kernel.

This means when i want fallback from UberKernel to the default kernel I must only uninstall the UberKernel? Or I must uninstall the UberKernel and install the default Kernel?

Greetz from Germany
    Last edited by Mr.Freemind; 05/04/2010 at 06:18 AM.
  9.    #489  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Freemind View Post
    This means when i want fallback from UberKernel to the default kernel I must only uninstall the UberKernel? Or I must uninstall the UberKernel and install the default Kernel?
    Just uninstall the UberKernel using Preware and reboot.

If that fails for any reason, you can use the recovery Palm Kernel to forcibly overwrite the kernel.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Just uninstall the UberKernel using Preware and reboot.

If that fails for any reason, you can use the recovery Palm Kernel to forcibly overwrite the kernel.

-- Rod

Thanks Rod for the answer and for the fantastic job.
    The latest versions of Preware and the Package Manager Service (or Preware Alpha if you're testing that) now include the webos-kernels feed, so Uber-Kernel and Govnah can be installed directly from the default Preware feeds now.

-- Rod
    I can't find Uber-Kernel in Preware, Govnah's there but not UK.
  12.    #492  
    Quote Originally Posted by kuruptlon View Post
    I can't find Uber-Kernel in Preware, Govnah's there but not UK.
    You need to be running Preware Alpha 0.9.68 or a combination of Preware 0.9.38 and Package Manager Service 0.9.46. You should then see a webos-kernels feed in your Manage Feeds page, and then when you Update Feeds you will get the Uber-Kernel.

Please add this to the wiki page.

-- Rod

-- Rod
    As a current Preware user, is it worth me waiting for Alpha to become 1.0, or if I install Alpha now will it upgrade to 1.0 as and when OK without leaving any 'bits' behind

I'm currently using SPK, but will remove and replace to Uber-Kernal once I'm running Alpha or 1.0
    Last edited by ChasT; 05/04/2010 at 08:12 AM.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    As a current Preware user, is it worth me waiting for Alpha to become 1.0, or if I install Alpha now will it upgrade to 1.0
    I would suggest waiting for the Final release.
    I had Alpha Builds for sometime.. but they were quite unstable.. Luna restarts...

I am back to the stable Build for now...
    Rod,

When a new WebOS update comes out, do I have to uninstall Uber-Kernel or change anything in Govnah before installing the update like the previous kernels suggested?
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    How do you set them via Govnah? i don't see a place to set values manualy
    Click on "Governor" on the main screen and you'll be shown all the options (governor, min/max freq etc)...
    Since the uberkernel and govnah updates; have been running screenstate exclusively (was previously running conservative). While for day 1, I was running 500MHz min and 720MHz max; I found that even playing simple games like Card Ace vaulted the CPU temp into the 50C+ range. And nevermind the crazy battery drain I was experiencing (a 1.5 hour train ride would lose 50% of the battery charge).

While I do have my original battery still (8 months old); I have now adjusted the settings to 500 min and 600 max; improved performance and battery life so far without CPU temp spikes into the 50C+ range.
    I know how to put the testing feed in Preware, but not how to put it in Webos Quickinstall ?? Can someone help me please?
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donnydonny View Post
    Rod,

When a new WebOS update comes out, do I have to uninstall Uber-Kernel or change anything in Govnah before installing the update like the previous kernels suggested?
    I'm not Rod but I can answer your question.

From the Next Generation Kernel Development and Packaging thread:
    A replacement kernel must not differ from the stock kernel at boot.
    Any differences must be enabled by scripts, services or applications. New capabilities may be built into a replacement kernel, but they must be disabled by default. This requirement ensures a fail-safe scenario for kernels in the presence of OTA updates and partial erasure mechanisms. The requirement also allows multiple independent improvements to the kernel to be rolled into a single package and independently enabled at run-time as per the user's wishes.
    In plain language the answer to your question is no.
    Bell Palm Pre - The longer I have it the more I do with it.
    I am using userspace,,have it set,,500,800,800. Battery is much much better,,phone is very fast,and temp never goes above 40c. Great stuff