Page 24 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1419202122232425262728293474124 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    While this doesn't explain (much) why the two don't play nice together, here's TI's patch to the Kernel for SmartReflex (for those code types).

[PATCHv3 00/22] OMAP3: PM: Smartreflex and voltage revamp

M.
    Those would be against the git kernel, and webOS is using an ancient kernel by comparison. I wonder if they can be applied to the 2.6.24 we are using now or if we will just have to wait for Palm to update the kernel.
    I may have missed it but where is the documentaion on how to enable and apply governors?
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    I may have missed it but where is the documentaion on how to enable and apply governors?
    Here's one place for info about governors:
    IBM Information Center for Linux

One way to enable them is in the Govnah app:
    Code:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-internals/244701-govnah.html
    They can also be set manually at the phone's Linux command line. E.g:

echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

thorne
    Last edited by thornev; 05/03/2010 at 04:31 PM.
    If your question is regarding how to specifically apply an available governer (app) to this uber kernel, the uber kernel can be used with the cpu scaler ultimate (by number1pete) or govnah apps. Install via WebOS Quick Install. You can even install the Govnah app using Preware. Just go to the first post to get the feed info.

More info here:
    Application:UberKernel - WebOS Internals
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    Here's one place for info about governors:
    IBM Information Center for Linux

One way to enable them is in the Govnah app:
    Code:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-internals/244701-govnah.html
    They can also be set manually at the phone's Linux command line. E.g:

echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

thorne
    Is there an easier list of commands? for setting processor speed and scaling?
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Is there an easier list of commands? for setting processor speed and scaling?
    Easier than the Govnah app? What's hard about the Govnah app? thorne
    Easier than the Govnah app? What's hard about the Govnah app? thorne
    How do you set them via Govnah? i don't see a place to set values manualy
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    How do you set them via Govnah? i don't see a place to set values manualy
    There is a setting in Preferences that allows you to set values manually. thorne
    Just to throw my experience into the mix, I've found the results of the uberkernel and cpuscaler ultimate to be borderline amazing. I installed the 720 kernel, and set scaling to 250 -> 720. I couldn't get it to come off 100% battery with wifi on, after watching a 5 minute youtube video, which previously would have shown a dip of at least a few percent in power. So I fired up bluetooth, data services, gps, turned all locations on, fired up preware, google mapped the traffic in new york, installed from preware, surfed facebook while I was doing that, and switched to a little pandora. I managed to hammer it down to 97%. Right now I've got it back to idling with everything on, and we'll see how long it holds its charge and by how much it dips. I want to try all of the above with quake running, but haven't got it installed at the moment.

dmc@palm-webos-device:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
    800000 1254
    720000 153885
    600000 93134
    550000 866
    500000 6223
    250000 124377
    125000 0

PowerTOP version 1.12 (C) 2007 Intel Corporation

Cn Avg residency P-states (frequencies)
    C0 (cpu running) ( 0.0%) 800 Mhz 0.0%
    C1 0.0ms ( 0.0%) 720 Mhz 48.8%
    C2 0.1ms ( 0.1%) 600 Mhz 51.2%
    C3 1.0ms (11.9%) 550 Mhz 0.0%
    C4 4.4ms (23.1%)
    C5 5.5ms (66.7%)

Wakeups-from-idle per second : 302.1 interval: 1.5s

Top causes for wakeups:
    42.3% (453.0) <interrupt> : i2c_omap
    17.1% (183.0) <interrupt> : gp timer
    9.8% (105.0) <interrupt> : hsmmc-omap
    6.7% ( 72.0) <interrupt> : prcm
    6.7% ( 72.0) <interrupt> : OMAP HDQ
    4.5% ( 48.0) <interrupt> : DMA
    2.9% ( 31.0) <interrupt> : WIFI_GPIO_INT
    2.2% ( 24.0) <interrupt> : ohci_hcd:usb1
    1.9% ( 20.0) USB device 1-1 : Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM (Qualcomm, Incorporated)
    0.9% ( 10.0) USB device usb1 : OMAP OHCI (Linux 2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430 ohci_hcd)
    0.7% ( 8.0) modem_rmw : usb_hcd_poll_rh_status (rh_timer_func)
    0.5% ( 5.0) mmcqd : do_nanosleep (hrtimer_wakeup)
    0.3% ( 3.0) ksuspend_usbd : schedule_timeout (process_timeout)
    0.3% ( 3.0) java : __dst_free (delayed_work_timer_fn)
    0.2% ( 2.0) modem_rmw : schedule_timeout (process_timeout)
    0.2% ( 2.0) khubd : autosuspend_check (delayed_work_timer_fn)
    0.2% ( 2.0) <kernel core> : omap_mmc_request_done (omap_mmc_timer_cb)
    0.2% ( 2.0) LunaSysMgr : schedule_timeout (process_timeout)
    0.2% ( 2.0) mediaserver : schedule_timeout (process_timeout)
    0.2% ( 2.0) mediaserver : do_nanosleep (hrtimer_wakeup)
    0.2% ( 2.0) <kernel core> : mmc_detect_change (delayed_work_timer_fn)
    0.1% ( 1.0) <interrupt> : modemuart
    0.1% ( 1.0) <interrupt> : mw_usb
    0.1% ( 1.0) kmmcd : omap_mmc_request_done (omap_mmc_timer_cb)
    0.1% ( 1.0) mmcqd : omap_mmc_request_done (omap_mmc_timer_cb)
    0.1% ( 1.0) java : hsuart_rx_timer_isr (hsuart_idle_timeout)
    0.1% ( 1.0) powerd : omap_hdq_read_byte (hdq_timer_callback)

Q - Quit R - Refresh
  10.    #470  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    I just want take a second to thank Rod for his awesomely thorough and thoroughly awesome answers to the many questions he gets. I'm a bit surprised he gets any work done.

And now to ask my own question to make sure I understand, despite the increased chatter about Uber-Kernel, it is not yet ready for general consumption, correct?
    You should expect to see Uber-Kernel and Govnah in the public feeds as soon as we've completed alpha testing of the next Preware versions, which fix the kernel update problems.

A key part of knowing when something is ready for general release is not only that it works, but that it can be maintained for the long term.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  11.    #471  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    This looks correct, correct? This is to duplicate UnixPsycho's kernel with UberKernel at boot time.

Code:
    # -*- mode: shell-script; -*-
    # move this to /etc/event.d

description "Enable Govnah's Settings at boot time... ish..."
    author "Me"
    version 1.0

start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]

console none

script

echo screenstate > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo omap > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver
    echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    echo 500000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq

end script
    You don't need the line which sets scaling_driver. It's pretty much impossible that setting will have changed from it's default (which is 'omap').

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    running screenstate governor and smartreflex for nearly 4 hours now...
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The instantaneous junction temperature measured on the silicon die inside the SoC package gets much hotter than the surface of the SoC package or the outside temperature of the phone.

Now, what temperatures will or will not affect the lifetime of your device is another question.

-- Rod
    As far as I can gather the max operating temperature for the omap3430 (from google searching, can't locate TI's official spec sheet) is 105C. But from my experience in O/C PCs you shouldn't even get close to the max operating temperature. Most PC CPUs the max is 90C and the recommended target range be 50C to 60C under full load. Since on a mobile platform temperatures are expected to be higher I would say up to 70C is probably safe and likely will have long term lifetime effects. Especially considering the extremely higher likelihood one would upgrade to a new device before the CPU fails due to lifetime exceeded. Even if sold when upgrading it would be the same case for the new owner. I personally have PC CPUs that still work far past their rated lifetimes. My oldest being a pentium 800mhz spent almost all of its days of use running near 24/7.

Yeah, but in another post it says setting powersave_bios to 1 prevents this behavior (i.e. the behavior where the kernel goes down to 125 regardless of min_freq setting). However, I cannot find where to set powersave_bios with the screenstate governor selected. thorne
    I have Govnah v0.2.5 installed. Although I've selected the screenstate governor and 250 as the minimum freq and I've had the phone display off most of the day, the freq graph shows I've been on 800 most of the day. I have turned the screen on and off since I took it off the Touchstone this morning. I've read elsewhere that 500 is the min freq that gets selected unless the powersave_bios is set to 1 (which isn't available in the screenstate governor), but the graph shows more 250 usage then 500 usage. Oil says this question is a kernel question and not a Govnah question. thorne
    The powersave bias set to 1 or higher is only for the ondemand governor so that the ondemand governor doesn't drop the freq below the min specified freq.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    You don't need the line which sets scaling_driver. It's pretty much impossible that setting will have changed from it's default (which is 'omap').

-- Rod

OK, cool. I wasn't 100% sure so I decided to keep that bit in. I'll take it out then.

Thank you!

M.
    I have the Uber-Kernel installed, but Preware still shows under "Unknown" that I have "Service to install/uninstall 800mhz kernel" (id unizpsycho.l337techmod.800kernel). I tried to remove it, but I get an IPKG error. Does this look like a problem?

My history is that I had the 1.4.1 Unixpsycho kernel, and the two CPU Scaler Ultimate apps (the paid one). I re-installed the Palm1.4.1 kernel, and then the Uber-kernel, and Govnuh.

It appears to be working. Should I be concerned?

Thanks!
  16.    #476  
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbyboy View Post
    I have the Uber-Kernel installed, but Preware still shows under "Unknown" that I have "Service to install/uninstall 800mhz kernel" (id unizpsycho.l337techmod.800kernel). I tried to remove it, but I get an IPKG error. Does this look like a problem?

My history is that I had the 1.4.1 Unixpsycho kernel, and the two CPU Scaler Ultimate apps (the paid one). I re-installed the Palm1.4.1 kernel, and then the Uber-kernel, and Govnuh.

It appears to be working. Should I be concerned?
    Yes, you should be concerned. You did not uninstall the previous kernel completely before installing the Uber-Kernel.

It's likely that your LunaSysMgr binary is still patched, and your /etc/event.d/PmNetConfigManager script has detritus left over from the packaging of your previous webOS 1.4.0 kernel.

You will need to fix both of those things by reinstalling pristine versions of those files.

I would recommend that unless you know how to do that, you get help from the maintainer of your previous webOS 1.4.0 kernel package, or visit the webOS Doctor. You've been bitten by the lack of attention to packaging best practices in your previous webOS 1.4.0 kernel installation. I expect you won't be the last

-- Rod
    Yes, you should be concerned. You did not uninstall the previous kernel completely before installing the Uber-Kernel.

It's likely that your LunaSysMgr binary is still patched, and your /etc/event.d/PmNetConfigManager script has detritus left over from the packaging of your previous webOS 1.4.0 kernel.

You will need to fix both of those things by reinstalling pristine versions of those files.

I would recommend that unless you know how to do that, you get help from the maintainer of your previous webOS 1.4.0 kernel package, or visit the webOS Doctor. You've been bitten by the lack of attention to packaging best practices in your previous webOS 1.4.0 kernel installation. I expect you won't be the last

-- Rod
    Thanks, I'll end up doctoring it. So for the record, what should I have done to uninstall the original replaced kernel? I thought I could just re-install the Palm kernel from Preware, cold boot, and back.
  18.    #478  
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbyboy View Post
    Thanks, I'll end up doctoring it. So for the record, what should I have done to uninstall the original replaced kernel? I thought I could just re-install the Palm kernel from Preware, cold boot, and back.
    You needed to follow whatever uninstall instructions were available from the maintainer of your previous webOS 1.4.0 kernel package to completely remove the package without errors.

We weren't involved with that, so can't really speak for it. My suggestions on how to do things properly at the time were ignored.

The recovery Palm Kernel will have fixed the kernel files, but not the other binary patches and files that were unfortunately bundled together into that package.

-- Rod
    well, after installing i realized it does not stick after reboot. i deleted it. i dont wana use cpuscalerultimate because than i will be using even more over head and by that slowing the 800 karnel. guess i will be waiting for uberkarenel with a built-in stick feature. thank you for the hard work.
  20.    #480  
    The latest versions of Preware and the Package Manager Service (or Preware Alpha if you're testing that) now include the webos-kernels feed, so Uber-Kernel and Govnah can be installed directly from the default Preware feeds now.

-- Rod