Page 23 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1318192021222324252627283373123 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    WebOS Internals is a meritocracy - those who do the work make the decisions. We even have things set up so that at least one of the other core developers would be able to wrest control of the domain and servers away from me if I ever turned rogue. We make sure that at least two other core developers have the super-user access rights to fix broken things on the servers and DNS settings, and that also ensures that no one person can be a dictator over the group. Most decisions are by consensus after robust technical discussion.
    Reading this (and the following info) left me really impressed, I must say.

The incredible work that you guys do is of course quite impressive by itself, but the fact that it is executed in such a structured and thorough manner is fantastic. Bravo.

Xenoc
    :: Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm Vx -> Samsung SPH-i330 -> Treo 600 -> 650 -> 755p -> Palm Pre (2nd) -> Verizon Pre2::

If you like electronic music... check me out:
    http://www.xenocmusic.com (needs updates ...)
    Yes, if it was a software problem related to the Uber-Kernel, then the bootloader would still work and the volume up recovery procedure would allow you to webOS Doctor the phone. So we can rule out a software problem.

In fact, because the phone was dead, and you pulled the battery and put it back in and then briefly saw the palm logo, then that would indicate that the CPU is still fine and it's perhaps a battery problem - unless for some extremely unusual reason the CPU just happened to completely die at that very moment briefly after you turned it on, when it still would have been operating at normal stock frequencies because the Uber-Kernel boots at Palm frequencies and does not overclock until another script or service tells it to well after the boot has started (this is one of the 7 principles of kernel design and packaging at http://bit.ly/next-gen-kernels specifically designed to be fail-safe in these situations).

Perhaps there is a problem with the battery where it will simply not accept a charge. Do you know someone with another webOS device where you can test the battery? Do you have access to another battery?

I would not give up on this device yet. The fact that it was off for a long period, and then gave a short burst of the Palm logo says to me that the phone is fine, but just not getting power from the battery.

Thanks for reporting it in this thread - overclocking is inherently a risky activity, since you are operating a device outside of its guaranteed specification limits, so it is right to not discount overclocking itself (as opposed to any particular kernel) as a possible cause for any failure, hardware or software.

People need to understand the risks they are taking (as you stated clearly at the top of the message that you are) so reminders like this (even though I don't think your phone is actually dead, just your battery) are good to have from time to time for those people who may not have it in the forefront of their minds that this could possibly happen to them as a result of overclocking, and that they are taking the full burden of that risk upon themselves by doing it, and have no legal or moral recourse to Palm, their carrier, or WebOS Internals if it does happen to them.

-- Rod
    Yeah, like I said, I don't actually think it was the uber-kernel, but I'd rather over-report potential bugs than under-report them. Good to hear some confirmation on this.

As far as the battery goes, I unfortunately don't know anyone with a Pre that I can borrow the battery from... Any suggestions for how to get my battery to take a charge, or otherwise prove/disprove that it is in fact a problem with the battery?
    Quote Originally Posted by aravenel View Post
    Yeah, like I said, I don't actually think it was the uber-kernel, but I'd rather over-report potential bugs than under-report them. Good to hear some confirmation on this.

As far as the battery goes, I unfortunately don't know anyone with a Pre that I can borrow the battery from... Any suggestions for how to get my battery to take a charge, or otherwise prove/disprove that it is in fact a problem with the battery?
    Interestingly, the battery does get warm when I leave it charging for a while... Not sure if that means much, but it's something...
    First off I'd like to say thank you once again to Rod for your championing of webOS. Especially your openness, as evidenced by your reply to Steve.

On to my issue: I've been trying out the screenstate governor lately, and for some reason it does not scale down to the minimum that I have set in Govnah. I have tried setting both 125MHz and 250MHz as the min_freq (and 720MHz as the max_freq), but when catting time_in_state (through novaterm) it shows that it only drops down to 500MHz. Is anyone else seeing this?
    I just want take a second to thank Rod for his awesomely thorough and thoroughly awesome answers to the many questions he gets. I'm a bit surprised he gets any work done.

And now to ask my own question to make sure I understand, despite the increased chatter about Uber-Kernel, it is not yet ready for general consumption, correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by enormous View Post
    On to my issue: I've been trying out the screenstate governor lately, and for some reason it does not scale down to the minimum that I have set in Govnah. I have tried setting both 125MHz and 250MHz as the min_freq (and 720MHz as the max_freq), but when catting time_in_state (through novaterm) it shows that it only drops down to 500MHz. Is anyone else seeing this?
    I believe that I read that the current sceenstate governor will not scale below 500MHz but I cannot find where I read that now...hmmm....

Ahhh...it was @ the TREO forum...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    The "screenstate" governor runs the device at your maximum selected frequency when the screen is on (you can choose any frequency you like, but 550MHz, 600MHz, 720MHz or 800MHz are really the only ones that make sense), and scales the frequency back to 500MHz when the screen is off (including when on the touchstone with the screen locked display).

In the future, when we have solved the 125MHz hang-on-resume bug in Palm's kernel, we will allow selection of lower screen-off frequencies. Note that when the CPU is idle, the clocks are stopped completely, as is the case for all kernels for the Palm Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I believe that I read that the current sceenstate governor will not scale below 500MHz but I cannot find where I read that now...hmmm....

Thanks for looking into it! I also just saw for the first time the thread titled "Screen on: 800MHz, Screen off: 500MHz - Uber-Kernel 3rd generation overclocking" in the new posts, and have started reading that.

Looks like all is working correctly for me. Move along, nothing to see here!
    Are there many differences from the 1.4 kernel and the 1.4.1 kernel I've made the change to uberkernel not to long ago and can tell no differences.
  9. pbk
    I just recently installed the Uber -Kernal app, I restarted the Pre as instructed. When I try and launch the app all I get is the flashing logo and the application never seems to launch. How long should it take for this to occur?
    Quote Originally Posted by pbk View Post
    I just recently installed the Uber -Kernal app, I restarted the Pre as instructed. When I try and launch the app all I get is the flashing logo and the application never seems to launch. How long should it take for this to occur?
    Uber-Kernel isn't an app, it's a Kernel. The icon is there so it can be removed safely with Orange+Tap in the future (works fine now if installed with Preware Alpha). It also lets you know what Kernel you have installed. Have you installed Govnah or another form of scaling app? Until you do you'll be running at stock frequencies. Read the first post along with others in this thread for more details.
    This looks correct, correct? This is to duplicate UnixPsycho's kernel with UberKernel at boot time.

Code:
    # -*- mode: shell-script; -*-
    # move this to /etc/event.d

description "Enable Govnah's Settings at boot time... ish..."
    author "Me"
    version 1.0

start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]

console none

script

echo screenstate > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo omap > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver
    echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    echo 500000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq

end script
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 05/03/2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Fixed this script. This is now proper and Copy & Paste-able.
    redundant post.
    Last edited by oddlou; 05/03/2010 at 03:19 PM. Reason: redundant post
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    This looks correct, correct? This is to duplicate UnixPsycho's kernel with UberKernel at boot time.

Code:
    # -*- mode: shell-script; -*-
    # move this to /etc/event.d

description "Enable Govnah's Settings at boot time... ish..."
    author "Me"
    version 1.0

start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]

console none

script

screenstate > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    omap > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver
    800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    500000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq

end script
    You need to echo the screenstate, 800000, etc., onto their respective files:

Code:
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    You need to echo the screenstate, 800000, etc., onto their respective files:

Code:

I forgot to actually type the word "echo". Yes, I have finger width stripes across my forehead...

Thank you.

M.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post

Yeah, but in another post it says setting powersave_bios to 1 prevents this behavior (i.e. the behavior where the kernel goes down to 125 regardless of min_freq setting). However, I cannot find where to set powersave_bios with the screenstate governor selected. thorne
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Testing to see if screenstate governor and smartreflex play well.

I have always had best batter life with smartreflex and I would really like to use it in conjuction with some type of cpu speed alteration.

As an alternative (and I have no idea how to code it, simply floating the idea), something similar to laptop-mode that uses the userspace driver and changes the speed based on the state of the screen. But of course, it may be necessary to have an understanding of why smartreflex and scaling have a history of not working well together.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I have Govnah v0.2.5 installed. Although I've selected the screenstate governor and 250 as the minimum freq and I've had the phone display off most of the day, the freq graph shows I've been on 800 most of the day. I have turned the screen on and off since I took it off the Touchstone this morning. I've read elsewhere that 500 is the min freq that gets selected unless the powersave_bios is set to 1 (which isn't available in the screenstate governor), but the graph shows more 250 usage then 500 usage. Oil says this question is a kernel question and not a Govnah question. thorne
    Last edited by thornev; 05/03/2010 at 04:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    it may be necessary to have an understanding of why smartreflex and scaling have a history of not working well together.
    While this doesn't explain (much) why the two don't play nice together, here's TI's patch to the Kernel for SmartReflex (for those code types).

[PATCHv3 00/22] OMAP3: PM: Smartreflex and voltage revamp

M.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    I have Govnah v0.2.5 installed. Although I've selected the screenstate governor and 250 as the minimum freq and I've had the phone display off most of the day, the freq graph shows I've been on 800 most of the day. I have turned the screen on and off since I took it off the Touchstone this morning. Oil says this question is a kernel question and not a Govnah question. thorne
    I was wondering about this too, but I haven't checked if it working correctly with mine.

From what Rod said in the other post:
    Note that Govnah doesn't update the graph or icon or frequency value when the screen is off, so if you are only looking at Govnah to determine whether it was running at 500MHz or not then you may be seeing misleading information.

You can check "cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq" on the command line to see the true current frequency value. If that also reports 800MHz when the screen is off, then please report it again and we'll look into the issue further. You can use novaterm or WOSQI or ssh access to get to the command line when the screen is off.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SDash View Post
    I was wondering about this too, but I haven't checked if it working correctly with mine.
    From what Rod said in the other post: (see above for Rod's post)
    I just displayed the time_in_state stats and it does show I've been in 800 most of the day so the graph doesn't seem to be misrepresenting the actual times in each state just because the screen was off:

800000 331627
    720000 10208
    600000 293
    550000 1291
    500000 37290
    250000 13290
    125000 578

I did switch to ondemand governor for about 10 minutes about 10 minutes ago, but now I'm back in screenstate. thorne