Page 2 of 145 FirstFirst 12345671252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    This is really exciting stuff. So the Govnah app won't work with the new "Super PreKernal" that was released, correct? Bummer. Installed it and wasn't getting anything to work.

Edit: Answered my own question, nevermind.
    Last edited by JohnLBurger; 04/21/2010 at 01:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    this one has more governors than just userspace and ondemand. conservative was mentioned. Are the rest (powersave & performance) included?
    Yes, they're included, though I haven't tried either myself.
    Does govnah run in the background, or does the application have to remain running?
    When I first ran Govnah (about 2 hrs ago) it said 41. It stayed there until I re-ran Govnah and it ticked up to 42 where it has stayed ever since.

Two questions:
    1. Reiterate todivefor's question: does govnah need to have a card active in order to update? Or will it update w/out an active card?
    2. What are the threshold temps that should cause me to be concerned?
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Two questions:
    1. What are the threshold temps that should cause me to be concerned?
    As per the webosinternals twitter feed last night, I believe they're trying to still figure out a range of normal temperatures for the device.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    is govnah supposed to be blank? I don't see my current governor, or any options to change it.
    LOL, All it does so far, is update the icon when you launch it. Nothing else.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    working flawlessly for me =0) great work !
    I didn't even expect such a public phase for another couple of weeks. Expectations exceeded as usual, Rod & Co.

Looking forward to trying this when it breaks out of testing!
  10.    #30  
    So from the thread, I gather that the main differences with this kernel from the one developed by unixpsycho and caj2008 are:
    Actually, my understanding is that unixpsycho was the sole coder and kernel builder for the actual kernel binary that you are referring to (as opposed to the packaging, marketing, video production, and herculian support of the multiple packaging methods that single kernel binary has been used for without change in the last couple of months).

The kernel binary used in the package you are referring to reports itself as:

Linux version 2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430 (beta@web1.xssnet.com) (gcc version 4.2.1 (CodeSourcery Sourcery G++ Lite 2007q3-51)) #9 Wed Mar 17 23:05:35 EDT 2010

which means it is the original webOS 1.4.0 kernel that Marco did back in early March, and has not been updated since.

unixpsycho is the main developer of the Uber-Kernel overclocking features, and is contributing other features to the Uber-Kernel too. There are four other kernel developers contributing to the Uber-Kernel too.

• this one is fully open - meaning that instructions to build, and build requirements are available to anyone with the skill - e.g. it meets the 7 requirements laid out here.
    • this one has the actual CPU temp sensors available as opposed to only the battery sensors
    • this one has more governors than just userspace and ondemand. conservative was mentioned. Are the rest (powersave & performance) included?

Is there anything else?
    That is all correct.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/21/2010 at 09:02 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Been running the Uber-Kernel all day with CPU scaler ultimate, set at 250-800 OnDemand. Running solid, no issues. Thanks!

Edit: when I was running the 800Mhz Kernel, it more or less resolved "too many cards" errors when launching 3D games. Will this Kernel provide the same benefit when running at 800Mhz?
    Last edited by PreGk; 04/21/2010 at 07:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    So 6 hours later, the conservative governor with everything else set to the defaults has been rock-solid, more than I can say about the ondemand governor with other kernels. However, it has been noticeably slow at kicking things up to the next gear and that's been a bit frustrating. I think I'll probably attempt 250-800MHz to see if that feels better.
    I tried conservative at 125-800 and couldn't stand it. it would take scrolling through several pages of any list before it would stop being choppy (~500 mhz). I think ondemand with a slightly higher up_threshold might be the way to go.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    I tried conservative at 125-800 and couldn't stand it. it would take scrolling through several pages of any list before it would stop being choppy (~500 mhz). I think ondemand with a slightly higher up_threshold might be the way to go.
    It's great to see this community involvement in determining the best governor parameters. We'll take the consensus and make it available in Govnah as preset options (in addition to allowing the full range of experimentation using the Govnah UI).

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Okay, I'll bite. Got them both installed, running the "conservative" governor now. Though 250MHz seemed choppy at times, so I put the minimum speed at 500. My phone mostly sits on its Touchstone in my office all day, so I'm not too worried about the battery life.

Oh, what exciting times to be a Pre owner.

But really, when has it NOT been an exciting time to be a Pre owner?
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    Yeah, it definitely takes longer to get up to speed with the conservative governor, that's for sure. But at the same time, it's also much better about keeping the CPU at the lower state when idle.

my current time_in_state file:

800000 34763
    720000 25428
    600000 55483
    550000 65106
    500000 158176
    250000 1123191
    125000 2932244

I'm going to try tomorrow at 250-800MHz on conservative, see if it's not so slow to get going that way.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    in limited testing so far this kernel does not sem to like smartreflex. I kept getting locks until I was able ti get in and disable sr.

it screams at 800mhz!
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    1. Can this IPKG version install without having previously installed a custom kernel? - Tested, and yes using preware / testing feed.

2. (Roughly) How long until we see some control functions in Govnah?

3. Govnah requires running at all times to stay monitoring, or does it do some of it's magic in the background? - Seems it requires to be in a card to monitor. (love the graph of temp)

4. GREAT job so far, love everything you guys have done for the palm pre!
    Last edited by Queueyou; 04/21/2010 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Added answer to #1 / #3
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    I always found the Pre to have an issue with 125 MHz, why include that frequency. I am just curious
    Mechanism vs Policy.

The uber-kernel provides the mechanism to use any supported frequency and any supported governor (not just the ondemand governor).

Policy is set by the service or Govnah app (or by command line for experimenters).

Experimenters need the full range of mechanism available so they can converge on a suitable policy which can then be deployed to the public in the service or Govnah app (or any other service/app for that matter).

Since the kernel defaults to stock speeds and governor, allowing maximum flexibility is not a problem.

-- Rod
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Queueyou View Post
    1. Can this IPKG version install without having previously installed a custom kernel?

2. (Roughly) How long until we see some control functions in Govnah?

3. Govnah requires running at all times to stay monitoring, or does it do some of it's magic in the background?

4. GREAT job so far, love everything you guys have done for the palm pre!
    1. Uber-Kernel requires pristine kernel files before it will install. It will refuse to install (without touching any files) if that prerequisite is not met. This is a completely new development, not a revision of any other packaging or previous kernel.

2. I would expect within a few weeks, maybe earlier if we get lots of free time.

3. At the moment it is only active when it is running, that will change in the future to allow background monitoring.

4. Thanks. We're concentrating on monitoring first, raw control second, and then policy (including auto-descaling based on temperature) third.

-- Rod
  20.    #40  
    When I first ran Govnah (about 2 hrs ago) it said 41. It stayed there until I re-ran Govnah and it ticked up to 42 where it has stayed ever since.

Two questions:
    1. Reiterate todivefor's question: does govnah need to have a card active in order to update? Or will it update w/out an active card?
    2. What are the threshold temps that should cause me to be concerned?
    Govnah 0.0.6 now has graphing and updating while the app is open (either active or minimised).

We are not making any statement about threshold temps at this time, because we have not started alpha testing of anything other than stock speeds and temperature monitoring of stock speeds.

-- Rod