Page 19 of 145 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223242969119 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dl1ely View Post
    Sorry to spoil the party a bit.
    I had unixpsychos compcache-Kernel installed, which scaled fine (800MHz with screen on, 500MHz with screen off). I liked it very much. Now i changed to the UberKernel, as to support the "official" line of kernels. I went from compcache-Kernel to Palm 1.4.1 "pristine" kernel via Preware, and rebooted. After that is showed the original kernel installed again. Then i added the test feeds, and installed the new UberKernel and Govnah. Rebooted again. "uname -a" now shows the new kernel. In Govnah, i selected the screenstate governor with min speed of 500MHz and max speed of 800MHz.

What happens now is the strange part: My german O2 GSM-pre runs at 500MHz with the Screen ON, but switches to 800MHz when the screen goes off automatically or when switching the screen off by a short press of the power button. Just the other way round as it should be! I checked this by looking at the Govnah-graphs, but also by SSHing into my Pre and checking the BogoMIPS value in "/proc/cpuinfo". Consistently, it overclocks when the screen is off, and goes back to normal speed when the screen is lit.

Anyone else experiencing this? I am really astonished about that behaviour. unixpychos compcache-kernel did it right on my device...

Stefan

P.S.:Just noticed - when switching from another governor to screenstate, the device goes to 800MHz instantly with the screen on, stays at 800MHz when turning the screen off, and then goes to the "inverted behaviour" afterwards. So at first it does the right thing, but after going to sleep for the first time it is "out of sync".
    I'm seeing this, too. I started with stock kernel installed, installed the first uber kernel. Today uninstalled the uber kernel, and installed the new kernel wihtout rebooting. then rebooted. After that, I noticed the same behavior as you.

I asked on IRC and the initial thought was possibly brightness unlinked was causing it. Brightness unlinked was not running (I had swiped away its dashboard notification). I was also asked about any power or LCD related patches. I have none. I then uninstalled brightness unlinked and rebooted. After rebooting, I set the display brightness via the screen preference app. I continue to have the same "inverted" behavior.

EDIT (adding some more observations)
    [13:40] <pullingj> screenstate governor selected, min 600, max 720. I've found that when lcd0.state and lcd0.brightness are 0, my speed drops to min and then jumps back up to max freq. When state and brightness are 1 (on the touchstone with screen dimmed), it stays at 500 (not 600) coming off the touchstone to state and brightness 1 and 62 stays at 500. lcd off by power button, back to 720
    [13:41] <pullingj> seems luna is possibly getting involved and assuming we're in userspace
    /EDIT

I've included some items I've used to trouble shoot below:

my poor man's speed monitor:
    watch -n 1 "echo lcd0.state, lcd0.brightness;cat /sys/class/display/lcd.0/state /sys/class/display/lcd.0/brightness;echo cpuinfo_cur_freq, scaling_cur_freq; cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq;echo time in state; cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state"
    sample output:
    with screen off
    Code:
    Every 1.0s: echo lcd0.state, lcd0.brightness;cat /s...  Sat May  1 13:31:29 2010

lcd0.state, lcd0.brightness
    cpuinfo_cur_freq, scaling_cur_freq
    time in state
    800000 76382
    720000 2331
    600000 0
    550000 18351
    500000 195054
    250000 0
    125000 43884
    with screen on:
    Code:
    Every 1.0s: echo lcd0.state, lcd0.brightness;cat /s...  Sat May  1 13:33:23 2010

lcd0.state, lcd0.brightness
    cpuinfo_cur_freq, scaling_cur_freq
    time in state
    800000 84157
    720000 2331
    600000 0
    550000 18351
    500000 196035
    250000 0
    125000 43884
    my patches:
    Code:
    root@palm-webos-device:/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq# ipkg -o /media/cryp
    tofs/apps list|grep patch 
    org.webosinternals.patch - 2.5.9-3 - GNU Patch
    org.webosinternals.patches.app-catalog-hide-app-vendors - 1.4.1-1 - Hide App Vendors
    org.webosinternals.patches.app-catalog-show-app-details - 1.4.1-1 - Show App Details
    org.webosinternals.patches.app-catalog-show-download-count - 1.4.1-1 - Show Download Count
    org.webosinternals.patches.app-launcher-4x4-icons-v3 - 1.4.1-1 - 4x4 Icons v3
    org.webosinternals.patches.app-launcher-enable-add-delete-pages - 1.4.1-1 - Enable Add/Delete Pages
    org.webosinternals.patches.app-launcher-unhide-dev-mode-icon - 1.4.1-1 - Unhide Dev Mode Icon
    org.webosinternals.patches.camera-improved-photo-naming-pre - 1.4.1-1 - Improved Photo Naming PRE
    org.webosinternals.patches.camera-video-camera-flashlight - 1.4.1-1 - Video Camera Flashlight
    org.webosinternals.patches.clock-unhide-black-analog-theme - 1.4.1-1 - Enable Hidden Clock
    org.webosinternals.patches.google-maps-latitude-workaround - 1.4.1-0 - Latitude Workaround
    org.webosinternals.patches.messaging-character-counter - 1.4.1-6 - Character Counter
    org.webosinternals.patches.messaging-facebook-chat-spoof - 1.4.1-1 - Facebook Chat Spoof
    org.webosinternals.patches.messaging-timestamps-clean - 1.4.1-1 - Timestamps Clean
    org.webosinternals.patches.mojo-3000-autoreplace-words - 1.4.1-1 - 3000 Autoreplace Words
    org.webosinternals.patches.phone-call-duration-in-call-log - 1.4.1-1 - Call Duration in Call Log
    org.webosinternals.patches.phone-match-state-to-area-code - 1.4.1-1 - Match State to Area Code
    org.webosinternals.patches.top-bar-add-date-mm-dd - 1.4.1-1 - Add Date - MM/DD
    org.webosinternals.patches.top-bar-rotated-battery-icon-and-percentage-color - 1.4.1-11 - Rotated Battery Icon and Percentage Color
    org.webosinternals.patches.youtube-video-downloads - 1.4.1-1 - Video Downloads
    root@palm-webos-device:/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq#
    Last edited by pullingj; 05/01/2010 at 12:42 PM.
    I ride submarines...
    Thanks for the information. I see the same behaviour. As told before, i went from compcache-Kernel to Stock-Kernel, rebootet, then installed UberKernel and Govnah, Rebooted. So i assume my phone was "clear" kernelwise before installing the UberKernel. I see the same behaviour whether Brightness Unlinked is running or not.

Stefan
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    I wanted to try something and to uninstall Uber-Kernel. I thought, these are the steps:
    - uninstall Uber-Kernel
    - install Palm-Kernel 1.4.1
    - uninstall Palm-Kernel package

But already after uninstalling Uber-Kernel, the Palm-Kernel was active (Govnah only offered 2 governors).

Then, installing the Palm-Kernel package did not change anything, I even did not have it visible under installed packages in Preware after that.
  4.    #364  
    Quote Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
    I wanted to try something and to uninstall Uber-Kernel. I thought, these are the steps:
    - uninstall Uber-Kernel
    - install Palm-Kernel 1.4.1
    - uninstall Palm-Kernel package

But already after uninstalling Uber-Kernel, the Palm-Kernel was active (Govnah only offered 2 governors).

Then, installing the Palm-Kernel package did not change anything, I even did not have it visible under installed packages in Preware after that.
    What you experienced is the correct behaviour.

Uninstalling Uber-Kernel should restore the pristine Palm kernel sources, so installing the Palm Kernel afterwards will have no effect if everything is working properly. The Palm Kernel package automatically uninstalls itself as soon as it has finished the job, so that it doesn't leave a confusing icon in the launcher.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/01/2010 at 10:10 PM.
    My solution to the "inverted behaviour of screenstate governor" problem is here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2417036

In short: "Reduce minimum brightness" patch or Brightness Unlinked both independently allow you to dial LCD brightness down too much (/sys/class/display/lcd0.brightness == 1), which magically causes the governor to invert its operation. Keeping the value a little bit higher (deinstalling the patch and/or keeping it just above the minimum in BU) cures it for me.

Stefan
    Rod, I'm having some new data usage issues. Never had any Govnah or Uber issues til now.

I just got a refurbished pre (today!) and when i put the phone into the following, my data usage (EVDO and 1X) turn off and can't be turned back on. A restart is the only fix. Screenstate and other settings don't have issues.

Conservative
    80%
    20%
    False
    20%

Is there a fix or reasoning behind this? I have already uninstalled and reinstalled Uber. Would a visit to the doctor do any help? Other suggestions?

Please let me know what info i can provide that would help. Much thanks!
    Last edited by mikeh20; 05/01/2010 at 06:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dl1ely View Post
    My solution to the "inverted behaviour of screenstate governor" problem is here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2417036
    My problem appears to be something different. I have now found that my issue is related to whether the pre is on external power or not.

If it plugged into USB or the wall charger, it works as expected with screenstate governor. While on battery, though, approximately one second after the LCD powers down, cpu frequency jumps from 500 back up to the max frequency you have set.

Webos repair utility found only /etc/version not to match md5sums. I'm continuing to tinker with it, but I imagine it will require a visit to the doctor to fix my issue and I'm not likely to doctor for this issue.

Jonathan
    I ride submarines...
  8.    #368  
    A big thanks to the community members who are helping out new users and who have helped track down the interactions with other patches and applications.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    Some reading on various governors such as ondemand and conservative.

CPU frequency scaling in Linux with cpufreq
    Linux Kernel Documentation :: cpu-freq : governors.txt

It could be something to do with the up_threshold and down_threshold settings? I don't know really, just thinking "out-loud". Or typing at least.
    Great info from those links (less Screenstate) below.

2.1 Performance
    ---------------
    The CPUfreq governor "performance" sets the CPU statically to the highest frequency within the borders of scaling_min_freq and scaling_max_freq.

2.2 Powersave
    -------------
    The CPUfreq governor "powersave" sets the CPU statically to the lowest frequency within the borders of scaling_min_freq and scaling_max_freq.

2.3 Userspace
    -------------
    The CPUfreq governor "userspace" allows the user, or any userspace program running with UID "root", to set the CPU to a specific frequency by making a sysfs file "scaling_setspeed" available in the CPU-device directory.

2.4 Ondemand
    ------------
    The CPUfreq governor "ondemand" sets the CPU depending on the current usage. To do this the CPU must have the capability to switch the frequency very quickly.

2.5 Conservative
    ----------------
    The CPUfreq governor "conservative", much like the "ondemand" governor, sets the CPU depending on the current usage. It differs in behaviour in that it gracefully increases and decreases the CPU speed rather than jumping to max speed the moment there is any load on the CPU.
    Last edited by Cooknn; 05/01/2010 at 08:14 PM.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Yes, we're looking at whether we can do a dashboard value, so you can close the graphing part of Govnah (which is what uses up all the memory at the moment), and still see the instantaneous internal CPU temperature.

-- Rod
    Is getting a Fahrenheit reading on that list as well? I'm just curious, not whining. :-)

M.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I installed both Uber Kernerl and Govnah this morning. When i go into governer settings and choose the ondemand governor to see what the settings are, my Pre locks up and the only way to get out of the freeze is to remove the battery. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both programs.

Also, is there something I am supposed to do to uber Kernel after I install it? I have tried clicking on the icon and a card opens up and thats about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Yes, we're looking at whether we can do a dashboard value, so you can close the graphing part of Govnah (which is what uses up all the memory at the moment), and still see the instantaneous internal CPU temperature.

-- Rod
    Neville has a dashboard popup thingy in Battery Monitor which is retained in the current version unchanged from the original design. I haven't had any requests or ever seen any requests to modify it and I personally don't use the dashboard feature and have seen no reason to change it. But it may be the sort of idea people are looking for that are interested in dashboard popup info.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Neville has a dashboard popup thingy in Battery Monitor
    Oh yea? How do you enable that? I've been using Battery monitor for quite a while and never noticed that option any where. Am I just blind?

M.
    great work Rod and webOS internals team!! just sent in another donation for yall!! keep the dev goin guys, your work is definately appreciated!~!
    When I installed the latest versions of Uber-Kernel and Govnah, I noticed an issue in the ondemand governor. When setting minimum frequency to 500 MHz and saving, the setting saves but I saw frequency drop to 125 MHz. I re-installed & the issue remained.

Thanks for your hard work!!

BLiip
  16.    #376  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Is getting a Fahrenheit reading on that list as well? I'm just curious, not whining. :-)
    Ah, the kernel works with correct metric standards

(we'll add the inclusion of alternative weird temperature units to the TODO list)

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Hi Rod. Great work by you and the team. I have a couple of questions:

Is it normal for the Uber-Kernal (Palm) icon to be in the launcher? Should it go away? Everytime I click it, it just doesn't load. It just hangs. Is this normal?

Also, I'm a little confused on the meaning of Min Freq and Max Freq.

I understand SetSpeed is what I want the CPU to be running. Does MinFreq mean when the screen is off? I tried doing a CPUINFO in WOSQI while screen was off, but I was still getting the SetSpeed speed. Also, if I have the SetSPeed at 720mhz and my max at 800mhz, what would cause the CPU to jump to 800mhz?

I tried looking here and couldn't find anything. Sorry for the repeat questions. =\
  18.    #378  
    Quote Originally Posted by bliip1234 View Post
    When I installed the latest versions of Uber-Kernel and Govnah, I noticed an issue in the ondemand governor. When setting minimum frequency to 500 MHz and saving, the setting saves but I saw frequency drop to 125 MHz. I re-installed & the issue remained.
    Yeah, it seems that even though the standard Linux ondemand governor accepts the 500MHz min freq setting, in some cases it does not honour it.

Casey@lee7tech has posted a work-around for that somewhere.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  19.    #379  
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    Is it normal for the Uber-Kernal (Palm) icon to be in the launcher? Should it go away? Everytime I click it, it just doesn't load. It just hangs. Is this normal?
    Yes, we've decided to leave an icon there so that in the future, people can just orange+tap to uninstall the kernel (it actually works correctly right now if you used Preware Alpha to install it). We'll put some sort of reassuring message when you click on it at some point

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    ...I'm a little confused on the meaning of Min Freq and Max Freq.
    You can read about CPU Frequency and all the other various options here.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco