Page 18 of 145 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122232868118 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    I just got UberKernl and Govnah installed and so far it's been silky smooth.

Thanks for all of your work.
    I've actually put Govnah in my quick launch bar. So if I leave Govnah open I can see what the temp is at a glance. But, like its been mentioned, leave it running too long and it eats up your memory.
  3.    #343  
    Quote Originally Posted by Delgarth View Post
    I've actually put Govnah in my quick launch bar. So if I leave Govnah open I can see what the temp is at a glance. But, like its been mentioned, leave it running too long and it eats up your memory.
    Yes, we're looking at whether we can do a dashboard value, so you can close the graphing part of Govnah (which is what uses up all the memory at the moment), and still see the instantaneous internal CPU temperature.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Yes, we're looking at whether we can do a dashboard value, so you can close the graphing part of Govnah (which is what uses up all the memory at the moment), and still see the instantaneous internal CPU temperature.
    Would be great. Here is another idea - onclick of "time in state" section opens a summary of states with numerical values? Or maybe same graph but with numerical values as labels?

Is it worth having a separate thread for Govnah? As all the bug reports and issues seem to go into this thread and its hard to track them down.

cheers for good work
    I have loaded the testing feed, tried typing Uber, coming up with Calculator and a couple of other strange apps, not kernel. Again, running SuperKernel, so don't know if I need to delete before other shows.

This sounds great but phone is running fantastic now at 800 with governor and temp settings in Device. I'm on vacation and quitting before I do something silly and uninstall and can't fix. Will read all additions in a couple of days when I'm home, bored and have time to see if I have missed something and can more easily fix.

Thanks to Ron for such a quick reply, I hit the button.
  6.    #346  
    Quote Originally Posted by nmoreman View Post
    I have loaded the testing feed, tried typing Uber, coming up with Calculator and a couple of other strange apps, not kernel. Again, running SuperKernel, so don't know if I need to delete before other shows.
    I suspect you may not have added the 'armv7' testing feed URL - you need to add two items to get both architecture-independent packages and architecture-specific packages.

Eventually, all this stuff will be in the default Preware feeds and you won't need to go through this small additional step.

You will need to uninstall any other kernels before using Uber-Kernel - it does a safety check to make sure you have done so.

This sounds great but phone is running fantastic now at 800 with governor and temp settings in Device. I'm on vacation and quitting before I do something silly and uninstall and can't fix. Will read all additions in a couple of days when I'm home, bored and have time to see if I have missed something and can more easily fix.
    As always, if your current overclocking solution is working well for you, then there is no need to change on a whim. Take your time. We intend to be maintaining and improving this kernel well into the future (starting with the next webOS version updates which we believe from reports will be in the next few weeks) - we're not going anywhere.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.

-- Rod
    +1, Thanks again for your work!!!

I will say, when I uninstalled the kernel in prep for installing the new one, my phone automatically did a Luna restart. I tried to install the new uber kernel and got the same ipkg error message as the previous poster. Installed the Palm kernel, restarted as it asked and then installed the Uber Kernel and voila!!!
  8.    #348  
    Quote Originally Posted by jakelaw View Post
    I will say, when I uninstalled the kernel in prep for installing the new one, my phone automatically did a Luna restart. I tried to install the new uber kernel and got the same ipkg error message as the previous poster. Installed the Palm kernel, restarted as it asked and then installed the Uber Kernel and voila!!!
    Thanks for reporting your experience. Every experience report is valuable to us. Glad that our early preparations of the recovery Palm Kernel (which we released exactly two weeks ago) have paid off.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    If you are already running the Uber-Kernel, you should uninstall it with Preware or Preware Alpha, and then install the new version. You do not need to reboot between these two operations, but you will be asked to reboot after you've installed the new version and you should do so to start using the new version. Future versions of Preware will do this remove/install step automatically when you upgrade the kernel.
    -- Rod
    Is it ok to just select the "Update" button in Preware? Doesn't that uninstall and then install the new kernel?
  10.    #350  
    Quote Originally Posted by f22loader View Post
    Is it ok to just select the "Update" button in Preware? Doesn't that uninstall and then install the new kernel?
    Not yet. A future version of Preware will support that functionality (we also need to work with Jason to get it supported in WOSQI too).

At the moment, you need to uninstall the old kernel and then install the new kernel.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    This can't be said enough -- I really appreciate all that you guys do. I can honestly say that if not for the WebOS Internals crew I would have abandoned my Pre a long time ago. I hope HP understands what really grows, feeds and sustains a loyal customer (and fan) base.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Install
    Begin installation of org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre-1.4.1
    Installing org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre-1.4.1 (1.4.1-2) to root...
    Downloading http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-....4.1-2_arm.ipk
    Nothing to be done
    Package org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre-1.4.1 md5sum mismatch. Either the ipkg or the package index are corrupt. Try 'ipkg update'.
    Collected errors:
    Failed
    ErrorGenericMethodException: Failure during 'install' operation

I can't even get the pristine Internals Palm 1.4.1.1 to load properly. So what do I do now? I have the test feed inPreware but I don't see -14 just -9. When I saw the topic posted I saw that I should just uninstall current Uber and go for the new one. So I "removed " it and restarted everything only to find that the feed had not updated to show the 1.4.1.1-14.

Rod or anybody, what should I do?
    techjunky79@gmail.com if too much to post here.

Thanks.
    -BeeRad
    Sounds like you should have installed the recovery kernel over the uber kernel (it writes over what is necessary), reboot, and then try installing the updated uber kernel.
    ...worked for me.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I actually found the issue. I think? When I uninstalled the previous Uber it defaults back to the pristine stock, does it not? So it wouldn't reinstall over itself, so it gave the error correct?

Then I went to the feeds manager and did a manual feed update and 1.4.1.1-13 was there, but not -14. Is this correct? It's installed and working great. Sorry for the flase alarm. I'm still getting used to all this stuff.

I love it. This community rules. \m/
    Sorry to spoil the party a bit.
    I had unixpsychos compcache-Kernel installed, which scaled fine (800MHz with screen on, 500MHz with screen off). I liked it very much. Now i changed to the UberKernel, as to support the "official" line of kernels. I went from compcache-Kernel to Palm 1.4.1 "pristine" kernel via Preware, and rebooted. After that is showed the original kernel installed again. Then i added the test feeds, and installed the new UberKernel and Govnah. Rebooted again. "uname -a" now shows the new kernel. In Govnah, i selected the screenstate governor with min speed of 500MHz and max speed of 800MHz.

What happens now is the strange part: My german O2 GSM-pre runs at 500MHz with the Screen ON, but switches to 800MHz when the screen goes off automatically or when switching the screen off by a short press of the power button. Just the other way round as it should be! I checked this by looking at the Govnah-graphs, but also by SSHing into my Pre and checking the BogoMIPS value in "/proc/cpuinfo". Consistently, it overclocks when the screen is off, and goes back to normal speed when the screen is lit.

Anyone else experiencing this? I am really astonished about that behaviour. unixpychos compcache-kernel did it right on my device...

Stefan

P.S.:Just noticed - when switching from another governor to screenstate, the device goes to 800MHz instantly with the screen on, stays at 800MHz when turning the screen off, and then goes to the "inverted behaviour" afterwards. So at first it does the right thing, but after going to sleep for the first time it is "out of sync".
    Last edited by dl1ely; 05/01/2010 at 11:18 AM.
    I am showing an update to -13 in Preware, but when I tried to uninstall it didn't and now I am showing it is gone but it still works. When I try to reinstall it it refuses due to it having a non oe kernal. Not to mention the testing feeds will not load for me now with Preware or Alpha, so I can't even get the factory Uber. I am thinking repair utilty. BTW, identical condition on two Pre's. Any ideas?
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    I installe the Uber-Kernal, latest one, for the Palm Pre+. Also installed govnah. Uber-Kernel wouldn't open up. The card came up, but it would not load the program. Uninstalled it, installed the Palm 1.4.1 Kernel, and installed Uber-Kernel again. Still will not open. Before starting this, I have SuperPreKernel installed, but of course, uninstalled it. Any ideas??
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    I suspect you may not have added the 'armv7' testing feed URL - you need to add two items to get both architecture-independent packages and architecture-specific packages.

Eventually, all this stuff will be in the default Preware feeds and you won't need to go through this small additional step.

You will need to uninstall any other kernels before using Uber-Kernel - it does a safety check to make sure you have done so.

As always, if your current overclocking solution is working well for you, then there is no need to change on a whim. Take your time. We intend to be maintaining and improving this kernel well into the future (starting with the next webOS version updates which we believe from reports will be in the next few weeks) - we're not going anywhere.

-- Rod
    Speed wise Great!!!

I'm using super prekernel & cpuscaler and have been following yours. My phone has been getting really hot while you classic to listen to audible music mostly....

Does the uber kernel like others get hot on the occasion?

Digg my story http://digg.com/d31Qenl?tto help raise $$$ & awareness for webOS, Palm Pre, HP.

#WebOS Internals "Telethon"#Palm Pre http://bit.ly/7q1Mc
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    I installe the Uber-Kernal, latest one, for the Palm Pre+. Also installed govnah. Uber-Kernel wouldn't open up. The card came up, but it would not load the program. Uninstalled it, installed the Palm 1.4.1 Kernel, and installed Uber-Kernel again. Still will not open. Before starting this, I have SuperPreKernel installed, but of course, uninstalled it. Any ideas??
    The UberKernel is not an app (although it does have an app icon in the launcher). Once it is installed, you should use Govnah to control the kernel settings. So, it was working fine for you... Just remember to reboot after installing the UberKernel.
    Quote Originally Posted by thesnowdog View Post
    The UberKernel is not an app (although it does have an app icon in the launcher). Once it is installed, you should use Govnah to control the kernel settings. So, it was working fine for you... Just remember to reboot after installing the UberKernel.
    Ok, thanks. Got it.