Page 17 of 145 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718192021222767117 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
  1.    #321  
    Quote Originally Posted by meandmypre View Post
    I have a hunch that there were kernel changes in the Verizon version of 1.4.1.1 relative to the Sprint version. Palm included a fix that is presumably not in the Sprint version to minimize the double-keys problem and I would expect this fix was implemented is in the keyboard driver.
    I *really* hope Palm hasn't released two different sets of kernel binaries with the same webOS version number (1.4.1.1) - that would be very bad on a number of levels.

As soon as Palm releases the kernel source for 1.4.1.1, we will be able to determine if it is different, and create a new Uber-Kernel release within 24 hours if that is the case.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/30/2010 at 05:45 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Is there a Govnah specific thread? If not, which thread should we post about it? I have a question about the graphing. Wondering if the graphing will eventually have "graph" info like the MHz up one side and time along the bottom, etc. Thanks again for all the hard work!
    Quote Originally Posted by jakelaw View Post
    Is there a Govnah specific thread? If not, which thread should we post about it? I have a question about the graphing. Wondering if the graphing will eventually have "graph" info like the MHz up one side and time along the bottom, etc. Thanks again for all the hard work!
    There isn't a govnah thread yet. I'll start one up this evening.

However, graph ticks and labels are on the way (for the full-screen graphs.)
    Awesome!! See, you guys do read minds!! As long as I am throwing out a wish list you already know about.... What are the odds of having the small Govnah logo (the speedometer thing) run in dashboard mode with jus the CPU temp on it? That way we could close the card and still have a visual on temps.
    Quote Originally Posted by jakelaw View Post
    Awesome!! See, you guys do read minds!! As long as I am throwing out a wish list you already know about.... What are the odds of having the small Govnah logo (the speedometer thing) run in dashboard mode with jus the CPU temp on it? That way we could close the card and still have a visual on temps.
    +1

I don't mind waiting though.. I know there are more pressing issues at hand with this project, but it would be kick-*** to have the govnah app running in the background sometime in the future where I can have the app in my launch bar showing the temp in real time
  6.    #326  
    Version 1.4.1-13 of Uber-Kernel now contains Marco's new "screenstate" governor. I've just finished incorporating it into the Uber-Kernel, and have made a new release to the testing feed.

The design and philosophy of the "screenstate" governor is very easy to understand:

"Run fast when the screen is on. Run slow when the screen is off."

The Govnah application will automatically sense the new governor that is available, and will make it available for your selection. You do not need a new version of Govnah - it's all automatic (that's the result of good foresight when designing your CPU scaler app).

The "screenstate" governor runs the device at your maximum selected frequency when the screen is on (you can choose any frequency you like, but 550MHz, 600MHz, 720MHz or 800MHz are really the only ones that make sense), and scales the frequency back to 500MHz when the screen is off (including when on the touchstone with the screen locked display). In the future, when we have solved the 125MHz hang-on-resume bug in Palm's kernel, we will allow selection of lower screen-off frequencies.

If you are already running the Uber-Kernel, you should uninstall it with Preware or Preware Alpha, and then install the new version. You do not need to reboot between these two operations, but you will be asked to reboot after you've installed the new version and you should do so to start using the new version. Future versions of Preware will do this remove/install step automatically when you upgrade the kernel.

If you are not already running the Uber-Kernel, just install it from the WebOS Internals testing feed in Preware. You can find instructions on how to add this feed at Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals

If you are running another overclocking solution, you will need to uninstall it before being able to install the Uber-Kernel - there are safety checks to ensure that your kernel files are in a pristine state before the Uber-Kernel will install. You should use the uninstall instructions for the other overclocking solution you are using, but as a last resort you can use the Palm Kernel package in Preware to restore your kernel files to pristine state.

Remember, at the moment you cannot "Upgrade" a kernel - you simply need to "Remove" then "Install" and you do not need to reboot between those two operations but you do need to reboot after the intall.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Amazing, thank you so much!
    Is there any way you could implement a switch to chose a "charging device acts like screen off"-mode so it won't run at full speed while on the touchstone?

Brightness unlicked crashes the device so often I would really prefer not to use it for that purpose.
  8.    #328  
    Quote Originally Posted by My3boys1217 View Post
    I just installed the update and selected screenstate governor (250 off, 800 on). When I checked CPU speed, my pre ran at 800 when the screen was on, but ran at 500 when the screen was off even though I selected 250 for the "off" state. Do you have any ideas why this might happen? Thanks for all your hard work.
    I have such a good idea why that happens that I wrote it in the post above

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The "screenstate" governor runs the device at your maximum selected frequency when the screen is on (you can choose any frequency you like, but 550MHz, 600MHz, 720MHz or 800MHz are really the only ones that make sense), and scales the frequency back to 500MHz when the screen is off (including when on the touchstone with the screen locked display). In the future, when we have solved the 125MHz hang-on-resume bug in Palm's kernel, we will allow selection of lower screen-off frequencies.
    Glad to hear it's working well for you!

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    Amazing, thank you so much!
    Is there any way you could implement a switch to chose a "charging device acts like screen off"-mode so it won't run at full speed while on the touchstone?
    +1

Most of the time my Pre spends sitting on the Touchstone, otherwise idle, it's running Timepiece instead of the standard "clock/lock" screen.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    If you have any suggestions for changes to the value choices in the ListSelectors for different settings, by all means, let me know. Many of them are probably not-exactly-right for what people will want to do with it, and I would gladly make any changes to make the settings scene better.
    I do. Please add into the conservative governor sampling rates some settings like 1000000, 2000000, 3000000, etc. Right now my choices are .5 seconds (500000) then 10.5 seconds (10500000). 500000 is working great for me but I'd like to try some others and 10500000 is just too much.

Even better would be the ability to enter in your own numbers but I'm not too sure if that would be safe for everyone.

Thanks!
    Bell Palm Pre - The longer I have it the more I do with it.
    I've only just found time to look into this Uber Kernel / Govnah business.

From what I understand there are two reasons to install these packages:

1) Battery saving ability
    2) Temperature control

Are these the only benefits? Because my Pre runs cool and battery life is not an issue (plenty of spare batteries).

Just wanted to check I'm not missing anything important.
  12.    #332  
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    I've only just found time to look into this Uber Kernel / Govnah business.

From what I understand there are two reasons to install these packages:

1) Battery saving ability
    2) Temperature control

Are these the only benefits? Because my Pre runs cool and battery life is not an issue (plenty of spare batteries).

Just wanted to check I'm not missing anything important.
    Being able to leave it installed for a webOS OTA update is another pretty important one.

See http://bit.ly/next-gen-kernels for the full list of design principles.

As always, if you're happy with the overclocking solution that you currently have, there's no need to change just on a whim.

-- Rod
    Being able to leave it installed for a webOS OTA update is another pretty important one.

See for the full list of design principles.

As always, if you're happy with the overclocking solution that you currently have, there's no need to change just on a whim.

-- Rod
    Will do - thanks.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Im using Uber-Kernel for some days nnow and it was working fine, except the known hassles with 125 and 250 Mhz.
    Today I found the update in Preware alpha today and hit "update all", which didn't work. then I found your post:

If you are already running the Uber-Kernel, you should uninstall it with Preware or Preware Alpha, and then install the new version. You do not need to reboot between these two operations, but you will be asked to reboot after you've installed the new version and you should do so to start using the new version.
    I unistalled the old Uber-kernel. Used the the rebbot later button, (updated Preware Alpha and Save/Restore) and tried to install the new uber-kernel, but got the "kernel is not factory condition" - error. Than I rebooted my pre
    and tried again to install the new Uber-kernel, but still getting:
    Code:
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.postinst 2>&1
    Kernel confirmed to be compatible with this webOS version
    Verifying no existing modifications to target files ...
    Verification failed on /boot/System.map-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /boot/config-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /boot/uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/arch/arm/oprofile/oprofile.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/crypto/ecb.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/crypto/pcbc.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/block/nbd.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/net/ifb.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_wait_scan.ko
    Device kernel is not in factory condition, refusing to install replacement
    remove
    Govnah still works (shows temperature etc.). So I think Uber-Kernel is still installed but doesn't show in Preware Alpha any more.
    Any Idea why it didn't unistalled correctly and how to fix it?
    I tried installing stock kernel but I got "kernel is not factory condition" - error again.
  15.    #335  
    Quote Originally Posted by michote View Post
    Im using Uber-Kernel for some days nnow and it was working fine, except the known hassles with 125 and 250 Mhz.
    Today I found the update in Preware alpha today and hit "update all", which didn't work. then I found your post:

I unistalled the old Uber-kernel. Used the the rebbot later button, (updated Preware Alpha and Save/Restore) and tried to install the new uber-kernel, but got the "kernel is not factory condition" - error. Than I rebooted my pre
    and tried again to install the new Uber-kernel, but still getting:
    Code:
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.postinst 2>&1
    Kernel confirmed to be compatible with this webOS version
    Verifying no existing modifications to target files ...
    Verification failed on /boot/System.map-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /boot/config-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /boot/uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/arch/arm/oprofile/oprofile.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/crypto/ecb.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/crypto/pcbc.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/block/nbd.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/net/ifb.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_wait_scan.ko
    Device kernel is not in factory condition, refusing to install replacement
    remove
    Govnah still works (shows temperature etc.). So I think Uber-Kernel is still installed but doesn't show in Preware Alpha any more.
    Any Idea why it didn't unistalled correctly and how to fix it?
    I tried installing stock kernel but I got "kernel is not factory condition" - error again.
    Install the 'Palm Kernel' not the Stock Kernel to restore your kernel to pristine condition and try again.

-- Rod
    I have such a good idea why that happens that I wrote it in the post above

Glad to hear it's working well for you!

-- Rod
    Perhaps I should have followed my dad's advice "If all else fails ... read the directions." Sorry for the lame post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    My understanding from Rod's post below is that it does NOT run at full speed while on the touchstone.

The "screenstate" governor runs the device at your maximum selected frequency when the screen is on (you can choose any frequency you like, but 550MHz, 600MHz, 720MHz or 800MHz are really the only ones that make sense), and scales the frequency back to 500MHz when the screen is off (including when on the touchstone with the screen locked display).
    I have read the above instructions, downloaded the test feed and updated. I do not see a new patch/app to download containing this new kernel.

Currently running Super PreKernel and Govnah as seperate programs.

I have the Uninstall button. I also have 2 Kernels available under packages, 1.4.0 and 1.4.1. So I am thinking if I hit the easy to use uninstall button, I will be back to stock with no ability to reload the new one showing in Preware.

Am I reading incorrectly? Would it be better to install via ipkg as I did originally? If so, where am I missing this new function. It sounds better for the "health" of my Pre as I do frequently check temps and work at keeping them down.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Install the 'Palm Kernel' not the Stock Kernel to restore your kernel to pristine condition and try again.

-- Rod
    That worked. Many Thanks!

@Trekker theire is such a switch in Brightness unlinked, which turn the screen off on TS
  20.    #340  
    Quote Originally Posted by nmoreman View Post
    I have read the above instructions, downloaded the test feed and updated. I do not see a new patch/app to download containing this new kernel.

Currently running Super PreKernel and Govnah as seperate programs.

I have the Uninstall button. I also have 2 Kernels available under packages, 1.4.0 and 1.4.1. So I am thinking if I hit the easy to use uninstall button, I will be back to stock with no ability to reload the new one showing in Preware.

Am I reading incorrectly? Would it be better to install via ipkg as I did originally? If so, where am I missing this new function. It sounds better for the "health" of my Pre as I do frequently check temps and work at keeping them down.
    You don't use an app to install the Uber-Kernel - you install it directly using Preware with a single click just like any other application, theme or patch. Go to the List of Everything and type "Uber" if you can't find it easily in the Available Packages list.

Everything to do with Uber-Kernel and Govnah is done with the normal Preware application - there is no need for other applications for installing correctly-packaged kernels.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/01/2010 at 07:43 AM.