Page 16 of 145 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920212666116 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Been doing some more testing. I ditched the ondemand governor because it caused my 3d games and video to skip and lag with artifacts.

My current settings:
    Code:
    echo conservative > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    echo 500000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
    echo 60 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/conservative/up_threshold
    echo 500000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/conservative/sampling_rate
    echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/conservative/sampling_down_factor
    echo 20 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/conservative/down_threshold
    echo 25 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/conservative/freq_step
    echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/conservative/ignore_nice_load
    I'm currently looking into more indepth by studying up on each of the settings for each governor.
    IBM Information Center for Linux
    That seems to provide a excellent amount of information that any technical person can delve into.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  2.    #302  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Sorry, but I need some help and nobody answered my plea for help in a thread I posted today, so I figured I'd ask here and maybe someone would know.

Today, Preware told me that I had 3 Palm App Catalog App's that needed to be updated.

I launched the App Catalog and updated the apps.

The phone did a luna restart, which is unusual.

But before it got totally restarted it did a full reboot.

When it came back up, all my apps (at that instant) were missing from the launcher.

I have 8 launcher pages.

At that point I thought all the app icons were missing, plus my background picture was now the factory default background picture.

But then I swiped to some of my other pages and notice that the only app icons left on the phone were the factory default icons and nothing else. Not Palm Catalog Apps, not Homebrew Apps.

However, all my patches seem to be in place.

I had the 'advanced menu' patch installed and selected 'rescan applications and file indexer' and that did not help.

I just can't take doing another doctor on my phone, I'm exhausted by them. We just had that update less than a month ago (I'm on Sprint).

Is there something in Preware that I can run to get those icons to show backup?

What else can I try.

UPDATE: Just disovered that my USB partition was wiped clean and as if it was in a factory default state! How did that happen!

I do use xorg tools to back up, so I might be able to restore most of it, but how do you get back all the apps? I mean, if I restored the media partition to everything from last night, would it see all those apps now, if they are stored in that crypto thing.

Thanks all!

Rob
    That sounds suspiciously like either a Palm Profile reset or the kind of USB partition wipe that the Palm boot code does if it finds a filesystem error in the USB media filesystem. Unfortunately, both of those things are not recoverable.

Are you running any sort of overclocking?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3.    #303  
    Funny, I thought I had posted this help request in Jason's WebOS 3.12 thread.

But the answer is yes, I am running the 800 mhz patch by caj*** (can't rememeber his full name off the top of my head).

Was this a know issue, should I report this to his thread?
    I truly doubt it was related to any particular overclocking solution or another, but is simply probably the result of driving a device past it's guaranteed specification limits, and that causing a filesystem corruption which Palm's boot code corrects by wiping the partition.

These are the inherent dangers in any overclocking solution, no matter who it comes from.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  4.    #304  
    I just discovered after posting my message for help and understanding that there is some sort of political thing going on and I don't want to get in the middle of anything.
    Yeah, I don't know what the deal is there. It seems to me that overclocking is being taken a bit too serious and personal ... it's all just 1's and 0's on a smartphone, so we shouldn't get too worked up about it

I am not angry at anyone, I know the risks of using this stuff.

I was only interested in getting help and reporting to the proper people what happened to me.

I'm not sure if it was a overclocking issue, only the developers can help me determine that.

I just felt, I should report what happened to me, and I will now fix my phone myself, because as you say, it got wiped. Luckily, I have backups of almost everything, so I am to an extent pretty protected data wise.
    All such reports are very valuable. Thanks for reporting it here.

Glad you were well prepared. I expect a lot of people who are dabbling with overclocking are not as well prepared for the worst case scenario as you were.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    I am using the Uber Kernel with Govnah.

When I set min freq to 500 and max freq to 720, the ondemand governor still goes down to 125 (displayed by Govnah). The conservative governor obeys the min freq.

Bug or feature? ;-)
  6.    #306  
    Quote Originally Posted by sidamos View Post

When I set min freq to 500 and max freq to 720, the ondemand governor still goes down to 125 (displayed by Govnah). The conservative governor obeys the min freq.

Bug or feature? ;-)
    Good question. The code for the ondemand governor is unchanged from the standard Linux 2.6.24 kernel from The Linux Kernel Archives - it's always possible that it's a bug in the upstream kernel.

-- Rod
    with all the works on these new kernel and governors... And safety risks... Wouldn't be better to write a a daemon that uses the userspace governor instead of new governor?

being outside of the kernel, the daemon could change the processor freq based on many more parameters than a governor. In case of bug, crashing a daemon will not take down the whole system, but crashing a governor could.

just thinking out loud ;-)
  8.    #308  
    Quote Originally Posted by ukabu View Post
    with all the works on these new kernel and governors... And safety risks... Wouldn't be better to write a a daemon that uses the userspace governor instead of new governor?

being outside of the kernel, the daemon could change the processor freq based on many more parameters than a governor. In case of bug, crashing a daemon will not take down the whole system, but crashing a governor could.

just thinking out loud ;-)
    The performance, ondemand, conservative and powersave governors are all standard in Linux 2.6.24 - they are not created or modified in any way.

Indeed, anyone can create a daemon to use the userspace governor, but if you do that then you also need to patch all the places in webOS where Palm would be overriding your settings. We try and patch as few webOS binaries as is possible.

The only new governor that has been written is the screenstate governor (which has not been incorporated into the Uber-Kernel yet, but will be as soon as sufficient testing has been done), and that hooks into the display driver in a way that cannot be replicated in userspace with a daemon.

-- Rod
    Now that the Pre Plus on Verizon got updated to 1.4.1.1 is it safe for Verizon pre owners to try this kernel ? Or is the verizon 1.4.1.1 different in some way that will cause issues if this kernel is installed?

I would love to try this out on my pre plus !

Thanks!
  10.    #310  
    Quote Originally Posted by gonthorn View Post
    Now that the Pre Plus on Verizon got updated to 1.4.1.1 is it safe for Verizon pre owners to try this kernel ? Or is the verizon 1.4.1.1 different in some way that will cause issues if this kernel is installed?

I would love to try this out on my pre plus !

Thanks!
    Since the Uber-Kernel is actually built from the 1.4.1(.1) kernel sources (as opposed to the webOS 1.4.0 kernel sources) then it is actually ideal for use on a Pre Plus.

-- Rod
    One thing I have been able to replicate reliably is when Govnah and the Palm App catalogue are open at teh same time, the images in the catalogue stutter/blink. I have tried it with several different settings on the Govnah, and it does not matter. I remember reading something about a memory issue when both are open. It is easy to fix, just close out Govnah, but thought I would report it.
  12.    #312  
    Quote Originally Posted by jakelaw View Post
    One thing I have been able to replicate reliably is when Govnah and the Palm App catalogue are open at teh same time, the images in the catalogue stutter/blink. I have tried it with several different settings on the Govnah, and it does not matter. I remember reading something about a memory issue when both are open. It is easy to fix, just close out Govnah, but thought I would report it.
    Yes, this is a known issue. The only way we know of to update the Govnah icon with the current temperature is to tell the launcher to re-read the icons, and that makes them blink in the app catalog (but not in the launcher) for some reason.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    I'm currently looking into more indepth by studying up on each of the settings for each governor.
    IBM Information Center for Linux
    That seems to provide a excellent amount of information that any technical person can delve into.
    Thanks for that link, it's a great explanation. I was wondering what the differences were--now I know!
  14. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts

Bug or feature? ;-)
    I have a similar issue. When I first installed Uber Kernel and Govnah, the on-demand setting seemed to function as expected, happily bouncing between 500 and 800MHz (which is where I set the min and max.) After a restart, the same settings in Govnah allow the frequency to move between 125MHz and 800MHz.

I do also have the CPUscaler Ultimate installed, but it was set to "scale and speed off" prior to installation of Uber or Govnah. However, when I load CPUscaler and check the stats, it says I am running a min of 500, max of 800, and yet still shows "time in state" readings for 250 and 125. Now, if I re-set Govnah to "userspace" and exit out, then set scaling to 500-800MHz with CPUscaler, then re-open Govnah, it shows the frequency moving between 720 and 800 (probably due to Govnah's graphing pushing the CPU load to run higher frequencies.) Now, if I set the up threshold in Govnah to 30%, it shows frequency running as expected between 500 and 800.

So, it appeared to my (non-programmer) eye that Govnah and CPUscaler are showing the same readings, but the kernel is not responding to inputs from Govnah...

HOWEVER, setting the up threshold to 80% and powersave to 0 (per default Govnah ondemand settings), the frequency range displayed by Govnah will once again drop below the min frequency setting. So, I concluded that I don't know enough about what is regulating frequency behind the scenes when the up threshold is set that high. But I think I can conclude that the min and max settings in Govnah are not the only things that control the frequency range available to the processor.

Am I correct?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts

Bug or feature? ;-)
    Can't say if it's a bug or feature, but I've seen the same thing. Haven't researched it enough yet to know if it's due to LunaSysMgr resetting anything (i.e., after closing a 3D game, etc), but I've seen mine drop down to 125MHz when I had min set to 500. I then changed the min to something else and changed it back, and the phone seemed to stay at 500 then, even when I left it idle for a bit.

Bug or feature? ;-)
    this is kernel bug. Been known since july of last year.

this is why you will see in the cpuscaler apps that they all set the power_save bias to 1 when you want to keep scaling above 125mhz. Its a way to trick the kernel. If you dont do this....you cpu will always scale down to 125mhz.

I am pretty sure the lowers percent you can set powersave_bias in govnah is 10%. This is too high, since your cpu will scale b/t 800mhz and 720mhz evough times over the update interval so that the average time spent b/t them is equal to 10% of 800mhz.

Also, FYI the lowest you can set the up_threshold is 11 so the 10 and 0% options in govnah will not work.

thanks,

number1pete
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

CPUScaling app L337Tech post

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
    *posted in another thread*
    Well, doctoring went well, and more importantly, my first effort at a "full install" (my term) from the saved package list was an AMAZING SUCCESS!!!!!! Holy $&% Batman, it is awesome (and holy grail is right)! I only had a couple of problems, all my fault. I forgot to input the testing feed before I hit "install all" so it hung up on a couple of things and I had to stop to put in the testing feed. Also, if you have any custom ipk files you need to reinstall those with webosqi (my choice) before starting the "install all" process or it will hang up on those too. I should have known this, and infact, while the "wheel" was spinning, I thought, damn, I should have done that before. Live and learn, but, it worked exactly as advertised, and from regular Preware too, not Alpha. Another donation coming for making my day and doctoring easier!!!!
    Oops, spoke to soon. I have the Uber-Kernel installed and the Govnah, and it won't scale past 600, it's not even in the menu for the Govnah, and the temperature is not regestering in the Govnah either. Any ideas?

*UPDATE*
    Did a full shutdown and restart and all is well with my Pre!!!
    Last edited by jakelaw; 04/30/2010 at 03:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Since the Uber-Kernel is actually built from the 1.4.1(.1) kernel sources (as opposed to the webOS 1.4.0 kernel sources) then it is actually ideal for use on a Pre Plus.

-- Rod
    I have a hunch that there were kernel changes in the Verizon version of 1.4.1.1 relative to the Sprint version. Palm included a fix that is presumably not in the Sprint version to minimize the double-keys problem and I would expect this fix was implemented is in the keyboard driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    Perhaps we should put a message to that effect in govnah to see if it quells people asking about it.

I am pretty sure the lowers percent you can set powersave_bias in govnah is 10%. This is too high, since your cpu will scale b/t 800mhz and 720mhz evough times over the update interval so that the average time spent b/t them is equal to 10% of 800mhz.

Also, FYI the lowest you can set the up_threshold is 11 so the 10 and 0% options in govnah will not work.
    I'll be the first to say I don't know jack about overclocking/governors/etc.

I whipped up the current governor settings scene in govnah based on what was posted on the wiki about the types of value ranges the different settings will accept.

If you have any suggestions for changes to the value choices in the ListSelectors for different settings, by all means, let me know. Many of them are probably not-exactly-right for what people will want to do with it, and I would gladly make any changes to make the settings scene better.
  20.    #320  

this is why you will see in the cpuscaler apps that they all set the power_save bias to 1 when you want to keep scaling above 125mhz. Its a way to trick the kernel. If you dont do this....you cpu will always scale down to 125mhz.

thanks,

number1pete
    Thanks for openly contributing your knowledge on these matters. It's great to see this sort of collaboration in the community to help make everyone's solutions more interoperable and easier to configure in the best way for new users.

Really good to see that you added support for the internal CPU temperature sensor in CPUScaler too! We'll keep you updated about when the 'screenstate' governor is about to hit Uber-Kernel to give you the option of supporting that choice in the future too.

-- Rod