Page 145 of 145 FirstFirst ... 45 95 135140141142143144145
Results 2,881 to 2,889 of 2889
Like Tree17Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rgloor View Post
    Should actually be possible. What Kernel do you use? (I have the "F105 Thunderchief v2.1.0-88" on my Pre+)
    Have you installed the "Govnah" Settings are done through "Govnah".

To save battery power. Depending on the settings (in Govnah), in low demand times, the CPU frequency could be dropped substantially. (My Pre3 often drops from 1.4GHz to 122MHz !)

On the Pre+ I have selected the screenstat-v3 power saving mode. If I remember correctly, it is a combination of dynamic adjustments of CPU frequency as well as CPU voltage.
    Resulting in a much, much improved battery usage!
    ...and great power and responsiveness.
    I use Uberkernel on my Pre 2, the increments are 150, 300, 600 MHz, 1 GHz, 1.2 GHz.

I'm wondering because I have never seen my Pre 2 drop to 150. It always idles at 300, and it sticks at 300 even if the maximum freq is set at 150.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    I use Uberkernel on my Pre 2, the increments are 150, 300, 600 MHz, 1 GHz, 1.2 GHz.

I'm wondering because I have never seen my Pre 2 drop to 150. It always idles at 300, and it sticks at 300 even if the maximum freq is set at 150.
    Since I never used Uberkernel, I don't know what the limitations of that kernel is (setting wise).

With the kernels I've use, with

a) the standard settings they came with Govnah for the specific kernel

b) the customized settings / profile selection in Govnah

I had dynamic adjustment of CPU frequency and/or voltage.

Just make sure you know what you do:
    So read the Warnings section on Uberkernel:
    Application:UberKernel - WebOS Internals

And for the settings, here the Wiki for Govnah:
    Application:Govnah - WebOS Internals

Have fun.
    Good morning gentlemen, sorry to ask here about another kernel, but I've been unable to find information about it.

The name of the kernel I've been using for months is "A-1 Skyrider", and it was made by the now missing member "unixpsycho". The thing is that I'm hunting down an unexplainable idle battery drain of 6-8 % per hour in my Pre 3, just by having data radio active. When my Pre is not connected to data, it happily purrs along at 1.5-2 % drain per hour. No app open at all, and just a single Hotmail Exchange account in Synergy.

But let's go back to kernels: In my hunting, I'm disabling things one by one, and today it was the turn of Skyrider. Have in mind that I installed it mainly because of that "lagfree" blurb in its Preware information. So I'm back into stock Palm kernel and... I don't know if power drain is gone, but today, for the first time in months, I've been able to transfer some megabytes through USB without hangups! Previously, the copy failed, I had to unplug my Pre, and continue from the first file uncopied.

I didn't know it could be Skyrider's fault, but empirically, it seems so.

What do you think? I used UberKernel for ages in my original Pre minus metadoctored with 2.2.0. I've known that UberKernel is a collection of stable modifications to the stock kernel, and others, such as Skyrider, are more beta. Should I go back to UberKernel on my Pre 3? What are the advantages of installing it and NOT fiddle at all with the settings, other than no added fun? :-D
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Should I go back to UberKernel on my Pre 3?
    It's a pity nobody replied, but nevermind: After a single day on the stock Palm kernel, I had a much lower power drain than with A-1 Skyrider. I didn't remember that the original Pre3 kernel already did speed reduction when not on heavy load, so it at least does one of the main things to save power while keeping performance.

Although already satisfied, a couple of days ago I installed UberKernel, because hey, running a standard kernel is so run-of-the-mill... I've chosen an "ondemand" profile at 1.5 Ghz max, and I'm a happy camper again. Power drain seems identical to the one with stock kernel, as expected.

I've been reading the explanations Govhan has for every possible parameter, and it's bindbending: I know a thing or two about computers, and was unable to understand clearly all the things explained.

Time for study, I guess...
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Quote Originally Posted by calroth View Post
    I've been running UberKernel (Veer) 2.1.2-27 from the beta-kernels feed for the last week, with the OnDemandTcl 1402 profile.

It's rock solid. No stability issues. No flakiness or anything suggestive of such. It's great.

Camera works, phone calls work, everything seems all there.

Speed is definitely there in benchmarks, but I don't notice so much in day-to-day use (though I might, when I go back to 800MHz...). Battery life is a bit less, but that's to be expected.

That's my experience! Thanks to the kernel developers et al.
    So, a long-term update.

Been using the above kernel on the above profile for the last 11 months and it's running as well today as it ever was.

Continued thanks to the developers
    I've been testing out the meta-doctor build from John Steffes and Herrie of webOS 2.2.5 on my VZW Pre 3. Preware does not appreciate the OS version. After manually adding 2.2.4 feeds it's no surprise I cannot install much. Normally I wouldn't ask for this specific of a request (ie. Uberkernel for 2.2.5) since the OS version is pretty rare but I saw there's a build out there for the just-as-rare 3.0.6. Thanks for the consideration.

EDIT: I see now that there is NOT a build on http://ipkg.preware.org/beta/kernels/3.0.6/ for 3.0.6. Well, anyway, if it's not too much trouble an uberkernel for 2.2.5 would still be awesome.
    Last edited by alanmorford; 09/08/2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: <--- moron
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE