Page 14 of 145 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718192464114 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    This morning I was extensively using Youtube, radiotime, and doing some web browsing.. Pretty heavy usage, I was specifically watching the CPU temp as I wanted to know what the normal full load temp is with my specific Pre.

Here are my findings:
    idle userspace at 800Mhz my temp was low as 20C!
    under high load userspace at 500Mhz or 800Mhz my high temp was 54C but was generally around 50C

Basically it really seemed like no matter what frequency I was running, my Pre's CPU max temp was not impacted.

I was thinking it could be useful if we had some sort of stress testing application like Prime95 for windows.. To purposely tax the CPU to 100% load. When overclocking PCs this is an invaluable tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
    That's interesting...I've seen my cpu temperature go as low as 21c.
    Maybe it was under 20c? I don't really remember what the temp was, but I do remember the temp not showing up below a certain number
    Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    Maybe it was under 20c? I don't really remember what the temp was, but I do remember the temp not showing up below a certain number
    I actually just saw mine at 18C just as I came out of idle. So ya. *shrug*
    Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    Well I think the only reasonable thing to do is put our Pres in the refrigerator and see if they still register a temperature!

(you kidding of course, that probably is not a good idea, lol)

You are probably right about a minimum measurable temperature though. I think some of Intel's and AMD's processors only measure temperatures with a certain range , like from 50c to the max operating temperature of the CPU.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Rod, thank you for releasing the official 1.4.1 kernel. After putting that down I was successful in installing Uber-Kernel w/ Govnah. I'm now flying with the Performance setting at 800/250
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post

governor: ondemand
    min freq: 500
    max freq: 800
    sampling rate: 100000
    up threshold: 40%
    ignore nice load: false
    powersave bias: 0
    I tried these settings without luck. My screen flickered during video playback. Phone locked up when trying to run Super KO Boxing. I was monitoring temp and it seemed to run steady around 38C.
    Last edited by bitshifter1001; 04/28/2010 at 05:23 PM. Reason: -added temp notes
    I was running ondemand with the stock settings quite nicely. No lockups or anything and scaling down to 125. however after letting it sit for a while getting great battery i checked the govnah and noticed it not scaling down past 500. i did what i did to get it unstuck the last time which was to use uerscaler and scaled from 125-800 and then restarted it. reset ondemand and it is once again scaling correctly. Next time i will try without the uberkernal step and see if it works.
    Thanks again for all your hard work.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bitshifter1001 View Post
    I tried these settings without luck. My screen flickered during video playback. Phone locked up when trying to run Super KO Boxing. I was monitoring temp and it seemed to run steady around 38C.
    Have you tried conservative with the same settings?

I think video playback doesn't like ondemand's sudden changes in frequency. Conservative would flicker on mine but not during actual playback.
    It seems to not working Superkernel Govnah. I uninstalled the Superkernel and I installed the Uber-Kernel but I do not work. Someone can tell me all the steps to install the Uberkernel and Govnah . What are feeds to be installed and in what order? Thank you very much
  10.    #270  
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
    Well I think the only reasonable thing to do is put our Pres in the refrigerator and see if they still register a temperature!

(you kidding of course, that probably is not a good idea, lol)

You are probably right about a minimum measurable temperature though. I think some of Intel's and AMD's processors only measure temperatures with a certain range , like from 50c to the max operating temperature of the CPU.
    Govnah (and the kernel) will measure and report temperatures down to -40, but we've only created icons for down to 15 ...

-- Rod
    Well it def will not stay with a setting lower than 500 for me on demand. It will until i close govnah and the screen shuts off. the next time i go to check it, it wont go below 500. i changed the up threshold to 40% too and i dont have any issues with playing videos.
  12.    #272  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Rodriguez View Post
    It seems to not working Superkernel Govnah. I uninstalled the Superkernel and I installed the Uber-Kernel but I do not work. Someone can tell me all the steps to install the Uberkernel and Govnah . What are feeds to be installed and in what order? Thank you very much
    The SuperPreKernel contains a webOS 1.4.0 kernel binary that Marco (who now works on the stable WebOS Internals Uber-Kernel and the latest bleeding-edge compcache kernel) developed back in March (check "cat /proc/version" when running that kernel for the exact date). That kernel binary has been repackaged many times by the current SuperPreKernel developers in many different ways since then, and the latest repackaging of that unchanged webOS 1.4.0 kernel binary from March is in the latest SuperPreKernel.

It does not contain the latest available kernel features like the internal CPU temperature sensor or the conservative or performance governors.

You should contact the maintainers of the SuperPreKernel for instructions on how to uninstall it. Instructions for installing the Uber-Kernel can be found earlier in this thread. You need to reboot the Pre after installing the Uber-Kernel.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/28/2010 at 07:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    Well it def will not stay with a setting lower than 500 for me on demand. It will until i close govnah and the screen shuts off. the next time i go to check it, it wont go below 500. i changed the up threshold to 40% too and i dont have any issues with playing videos.
    If you've set your up_threshold to 40%, then the CPU only has to be @ 40% in use to scale up, and if you're running Govnah with graphing details, it's most likely (especially with the ondemand governor) that CPU usage will increase to around 500MHz while you're checking it.

Personally I don't see the point @ 125 or 250 speeds, if battery is what you're concerned out, the biggest problem are the phone radios. Pre @ 250 is inoperable for me, in a pleasant way I mean. Min I tend to scale to is 500
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The "SuperPreKernel" (I think the Super refers to the video, not the feature set) is a very old WebOS 1.4.0 kernel that Marco (who now works on the Uber-Kernel) developed back in March (check /proc/version for the exact date).

It does not contain the latest available kernel features like the internal CPU temperature sensor or the conservative or performance governors.

-- Rod

I had many issues with that, but I was wrong because x amount of people had no issues and was made to feel like an ashole

--edit--

Besides a little bump in the beginning I have been running the Uber-Kernel now for a week with zero issues and I am loving it!!!
    but what are all steps to install the Kernel Uber? First installed a feed? What is this feed? I do not know how to install it. Thank you very much
    but what are all steps to install the Kernel Uber? First installed a feed? What is this feed? I do not know how to install it. Thank you very much
    Adding Custom Feeds - webOS Internals wiki

You'll need to add the one ending in 'all' and the one ending in 'arm7'
    Last edited by MechanicalMind; 04/28/2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: extra info
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanicalMind View Post
    If you've set your up_threshold to 40%, then the CPU only has to be @ 40% in use to scale up, and if you're running Govnah with graphing details, it's most likely (especially with the ondemand governor) that CPU usage will increase to around 500MHz while you're checking it.

Personally I don't see the point @ 125 or 250 speeds, if battery is what you're concerned out, the biggest problem are the phone radios. Pre @ 250 is inoperable for me, in a pleasant way I mean. Min I tend to scale to is 500
    yeah i know what you mean. i didnt change the up until after i realized 125 wasnt sticking. when i first got it to scale down i actually did catch 125 in govnah. but your right. i was using the old kernal scaled between 500-800 and besides the problem i liked the response. i think with uberscaler it is set to like 10% up. might even try going a little lower than 40 and see how it reacts. Love this stuff. im such a noob to all this stuff but i cant get enough right now.
    This is correct to install Uber Kernel?

1) Add all the feeds ending in "all" and all the feeds ending in "ARM7"
    2) Restart the phone with Luna
    3) I install the Uber kernel with Preware or Preware Alfa
    4) Restart the phone with Luna
    5) I installed Govnah with WebOSQuickInstall
    6) Restart the phone with Luna

need to do anything else?

thanks
  19.    #279  
    This is correct to install Uber Kernel?

1) Add all the feeds ending in "all" and all the feeds ending in "ARM7"
    2) Restart the phone with Luna
    3) I install the Uber kernel with Preware or Preware Alfa
    4) Restart the phone with Luna
    5) I installed Govnah with WebOSQuickInstall
    6) Restart the phone with Luna

need to do anything else?

thanks
    1) http://install.preware.org
    2) Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals
    3) Install Uber-Kernel and Govnah using Preware
    4) Reboot

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I think you mean lowered the Up threshold. My understanding of this function = the lower the %# the more likely that the frequency will get bumped up (since it correlates to how busy the CPU is). So if Govnah checks the CPU and its being used >%#l; then it kicks it up.
    Yeah that's what I meant, I was in the middle of messing with my down threshold and trying to get the phone to pop down quicker too, and said it backwards

I lowered my up threshold to 75% and raised the freq. step to 20% with the conservative governor and am seeing improved performance without a noticeable reduction in battery life (during the brief, preliminary testing I did today.)