Page 139 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3989129134135136137138139140141142143144 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,780 of 2889
Like Tree17Likes
  1.    #2761  
    UberKernel 2.1.x-24 for the Veer is now in the beta-kernels feed.

* 1.4 GHz overclocking (boots at 804 MHz for safety, use a Govnah profile to overclock)
    * screenstate (version 1) governor which runs at a higher speed when the screen is on, and a lower speed when the screen is off. Later versions will have more functionality. Your specific usage patterns (including background tasks) will determine whether this is better or worse for your individual circumstances. (YMMV)
    * All standard Linux 2.6.29 cpufreq governors made available for selection. Not all of them are useful or work well on a phone.
    * New SIO IO scheduler. Google it
    * Modification of the lowmemnotify threshold calculation to take into account free swap space. This reduces the occurrence of the Too Many Cards error. Open too many apps, however, and your device will slow down. (TANSTAAFL)
    * compcache compressed RAM swap kernel module. This effectively increases your available swap space, at the expense of access speed. Not that it can also induce lag at times due to the access speed trade-off. (TANSTAAFL)
    * Support for kernel crypto modules required by TrueCrypt.
    * Support for EXT4 filesystems.
    * Support for NFS and CIFS (Samba) network filesystems.
    * Support for iSCSI and ATA over Ethernet storage network protocols.

Thanks to uNiXpSyChO for writing the overclocking and screenstate code. UberKernel for the Veer uses the same overclocking code as the A4 kernel.

(YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary)
    (TANSTAAFL: There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    dadueler likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    UberKernel 2.2.x-19 for the Pre 3 is now in the beta-kernels feed.
    <snip>

-- Rod
    Running this since around 715am this morning.
    I prefer screenstate v1 over the other versions

screenstate
    122.88 min
    1.6896 max
    default voltages
    25MB compcache
    noop i/o
    reno tcp

So far so good...I am not much for tracking battery drain. I will notice excessive drain if it occurs; but otherwise, not a real factor for me.

After a couple of hours, I will bump it up to 1.805

- T
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I prefer screenstate v1 over the other versions
    Why do you prefer v1? I've never been entirely clear what the differences were.
    Latter versions of screenstate include other options, such as ondemand components.
    Screenstate v1 (IIRC) is just pure on/off.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Just tried out UberKernel 2.1.x-24 for the Veer - under screenstate, seeing some of that lag; sms messages show up about 5 minutes after the timestamp. If I switch to ondemandtcl, they are immediate.

Other than that, no issues.
    I just tried the new uberkernel that hit the veer beta. Thanks for all your work as it booted perfectly. I am running screenstate 1.4 but when I open xecutah and run cat /proc/cpuinfo it shows me running @932.90 when in govnah it says 1.4.

proc_version: Linuxversion 2.6.29-palm-shank (v2.1.2-24@org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-veer) (gcc version 4.3.3 (Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q1-203) ) #2 PREEMPT Mon Nov 7 21:58:34 HST 2011 Current:

From Service: Governor: screenstate Scheduler: anticipatory Congestion: cubic min freq: 122.88 MHz maxfreq: 1.4016 GHz CPU Voltage: 1000000 1000000 1050000 1100000 1100000 1100000 1200000 1300000 1375000

Files:

cpufreq_file description "Govnah Settings"

start on stopped finish

script

[ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m com.palm.properties.prevBootPanicked`" = "false" ] || exit 0 [ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m com.palm.properties.prevShutdownClean`" = "true" ] || exit 0 [ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m -n com.palm.system last_umount_clean`" = "true" ] || exit 0

echo -n 'screenstate' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor echo -n '122880' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq echo -n '1401600' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq echo -n '1000000 1000000 1050000 1100000 1100000 1100000 1200000 1300000 1375000 ' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/override/vdd

end script

compcache_file cat: can't open '/var/palm/event.d/org.webosinternals.govnah-compcache': No such file or directory

Profiles:

(1) Screenstate Governor: screenstate min freq: 122.88 MHz maxfreq: 1.4016 GHz CPU Voltage: 1000000 1000000 1050000 1100000 1100000 1100000 1200000 1300000 1375000 io scheduler: anticipatory
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    I just tried the new uberkernel that hit the veer beta. Thanks for all your work as it booted perfectly. I am running screenstate 1.4 but when I open xecutah and run cat /proc/cpuinfo it shows me running @932.90 when in govnah it says 1.4.
    That is BogoMIPS, not CPU frequency.
    Live free or DIE!
    Thanks so much! Please keep up the great work!
    Quote Originally Posted by jboucicaut View Post
    Just tried out UberKernel 2.1.x-24 for the Veer - under screenstate, seeing some of that lag; sms messages show up about 5 minutes after the timestamp. If I switch to ondemandtcl, they are immediate.

Other than that, no issues.
    If you set the low frequency to the absolute bottom then that would be expected, since it is capped at the low freq and everything runs much slower. It's not a bug, but the effects of multi-tasking with a hard set slow speed. Good for battery life tho
    Live free or DIE!
    Good point; I will bump up the low freq. Thank you!
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I'd like to request a minor cosmetic change and/or feature.

The minor cosmetic change would be to rename the profiles so they specify the device. For example "Uberkernel Default" is the default for the Pre- (I think). So call it "Pre- Uberkernel Default". "OnDemandTcl 1512" is the optimized profile for the Touchpad. So call it "Touchpad OnDemandTcl 1512" (or better yet, "Touchpad OnDemandTcl 1.512Ghz"). I would think this change would be fairly trivial, but make things a lot clearer for beginners.

The feature would be for each profile to be listed for a specific device and Govnah only to display the ones applicable to your device. A little more effort but it would look a lot cleaner in the profile list. I can manually delete the irrelevant ones, but it seems unnecessary.

Especially as the number of different devices increases, it becomes less and less obvious which profiles to try. I've seen a lot of people asking which profile to pick on the Touchpad, for example. I recognize all those profiles from the Pre- but people who never had it could be confused.

Thanks for all your work on this. Uberkernel is working well on my Pre-, Touchpad, and Pre3!
  12.    #2772  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    I'd like to request a minor cosmetic change and/or feature.

The minor cosmetic change would be to rename the profiles so they specify the device. For example "Uberkernel Default" is the default for the Pre- (I think). So call it "Pre- Uberkernel Default". "OnDemandTcl 1512" is the optimized profile for the Touchpad. So call it "Touchpad OnDemandTcl 1512" (or better yet, "Touchpad OnDemandTcl 1.512Ghz"). I would think this change would be fairly trivial, but make things a lot clearer for beginners.

The feature would be for each profile to be listed for a specific device and Govnah only to display the ones applicable to your device. A little more effort but it would look a lot cleaner in the profile list. I can manually delete the irrelevant ones, but it seems unnecessary.

Especially as the number of different devices increases, it becomes less and less obvious which profiles to try. I've seen a lot of people asking which profile to pick on the Touchpad, for example. I recognize all those profiles from the Pre- but people who never had it could be confused.

Thanks for all your work on this. Uberkernel is working well on my Pre-, Touchpad, and Pre3!
    The profiles are already marked internally with the list of kernels that they support, and Govnah only displays those profiles supported by the running kernel.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    The profiles are already marked internally with the list of kernels that they support, and Govnah only displays those profiles supported by the running kernel.

-- Rod
    Ok, I suppose it's true that all those Pre- profiles will work on the Touchpad and Pre3, where they show up, but does it make sense to display them? The only profile that I can tell is being hidden, comparing my three devices, is the OnDemandTcl 1512 profile (which only appears on the Touchpad). It's nice to know that I can't accidentally select something that won't work at all, but it seems like it would be better to only show profiles that are potentially useful and relevant.
  14.    #2774  
    Ok, I suppose it's true that all those Pre- profiles will work on the Touchpad and Pre3, where they show up, but does it make sense to display them? The only profile that I can tell is being hidden, comparing my three devices, is the OnDemandTcl 1512 profile (which only appears on the Touchpad). It's nice to know that I can't accidentally select something that won't work at all, but it seems like it would be better to only show profiles that are potentially useful and relevant.
    Pre- profiles are not marked for TouchPad or Pre 3, and are not displayed.

Look for yourself: http://git.webos-internals.org/appli...lt-profiles.js

It would be good to see your Generate Email output, cause what you are describing makes no sense to me. Also, uninstall Govnah completely and reinstall it, to make sure you don't have old profiles from very old versions of Govnah around which did not have the kernel markings.

Note that if you try and move a Govnah profile from one device to another (e.g. with Save/Restore, or via your Palm Profile cookies being restored on a new device), you may get something like you are describing. Don't do that.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Hi,

I use Govnah v1.3.0 with UberKernel-21 on my pre3.
    When using ScreenState governor @1.8 GHz and my phone is on the TouchStone, the device becomes very hot, until the thermal security shuts the phone down.
    I suppose this is because the screen is alway on when the device is on the touchstone.
    On my previous devices, I know there was a setting to reduce overclocking when device is on TouchStone, but I can't find it.
    What can be done?
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".
    Voltaire, french writer and Philosopher, 1694-1778

French translator of UberCalendar, sconix's advanced patches, Twithibition, AuctionMate, Communities, Headlines 2, OrganizeMe!, Homebrew Google Maps, and many other webOS apps.
  16.    #2776  
    Use OnDemandTcl with screenstate enabled instead.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratus View Post
    Hi,

I use Govnah v1.3.0 with UberKernel-21 on my pre3.
    When using ScreenState governor @1.8 GHz and my phone is on the TouchStone, the device becomes very hot, until the thermal security shuts the phone down.
    I suppose this is because the screen is alway on when the device is on the touchstone.
    On my previous devices, I know there was a setting to reduce overclocking when device is on TouchStone, but I can't find it.
    What can be done?
    The screen is still on, so it wont clamp down on clock.

Unfortunately I dont have a reliable sensor to read CPU temp to add that functionality.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Pre- profiles are not marked for TouchPad or Pre 3, and are not displayed.

Look for yourself: govnah - Govnah Application

It would be good to see your Generate Email output, cause what you are describing makes no sense to me. Also, uninstall Govnah completely and reinstall it, to make sure you don't have old profiles from very old versions of Govnah around which did not have the kernel markings.

Note that if you try and move a Govnah profile from one device to another (e.g. with Save/Restore, or via your Palm Profile cookies being restored on a new device), you may get something like you are describing. Don't do that.

-- Rod
    Uninstalling Govnah and reinstalling it fixed this on the Pre3.

If you're interested in seeing the Generate Email output, let me know where that option is and I will do that before uninstalling/reinstalling on the Touchpad.

My guess is this came from the Palm Profile because I never intentionally brought any profiles over or any Save/Restore settings for Govnah or Preware. But I'm using the same Palm Profile for the Touchpad and Pre3 that I originally used for the Pre-, and did have the earliest version of Govnah.

So... uh... thanks for implementing a long time ago the functionality that I thought I wanted.
  19.    #2779  
    Uninstalling Govnah and reinstalling it fixed this on the Pre3.

If you're interested in seeing the Generate Email output, let me know where that option is and I will do that before uninstalling/reinstalling on the Touchpad.

My guess is this came from the Palm Profile because I never intentionally brought any profiles over or any Save/Restore settings for Govnah or Preware. But I'm using the same Palm Profile for the Touchpad and Pre3 that I originally used for the Pre-, and did have the earliest version of Govnah.

So... uh... thanks for implementing a long time ago the functionality that I thought I wanted.
    Help -> Generate Email

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Help -> Generate Email

-- Rod
    Ok, here is what it says (from the Touchpad):

proc_version: Linux version 2.6.35-palm-tenderloin (v3.0.4-68@org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-touchpad) (gcc version 4.3.3 (Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q1-203) ) #2 SMP PREEMPT Thu Oct 20 21:51:35 HST 2011
    Current:
    From Service:
    Governor: ondemandtcl
    Scheduler: cfq
    Congestion: cubic
    min freq: 192 MHz
    max freq: 1.512 GHz
    sampling rate: 0.2 Sec
    up threshold: 95 %
    down differential: 3
    sampling down factor: 1
    ignore nice load: false
    powersave bias: 0
    io is busy: false
    max tickle window: 3 Sec

Files:
    cpufreq_file
    description "Govnah Settings"

start on stopped finish

script

[ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m com.palm.properties.prevBootPanicked`" = "false" ] || exit 0
    [ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m com.palm.properties.prevShutdownClean`" = "true" ] || exit 0
    [ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m -n com.palm.system last_umount_clean`" = "true" ] || exit 0

echo -n '1' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online || true

echo -n 'ondemandtcl' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo -n 'ondemandtcl' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo -n '192000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
    echo -n '192000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
    echo -n '1512000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    echo -n '1512000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

end script

compcache_file
    cat: can't open '/var/palm/event.d/org.webosinternals.govnah-compcache': No such file or directory

Profiles:
    (7) On Demand
    Governor: ondemand
    min freq: 125 MHz
    max freq: 600 MHz
    sampling rate: 0.2 Sec
    up threshold: 80 %
    ignore nice load: false
    powersave bias: 0
    compcache enabled: false
    compcache memlimit: 16 MB
    (8) OnDemand 550