Page 131 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3181121126127128129130131132133134135136141 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,620 of 2889
Like Tree17Likes
  1. #2601  
    Same for me. But don't doctor. Do the USB kernel recovery thing.

    What is causing the freeze on boot?

    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    I just got my pre2 back from repair and installed uberkernel and the same thing happened to me as well...trip to the doctor i guess.
  2. #2602  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    Same for me. But don't doctor. Do the USB kernel recovery thing.

    What is causing the freeze on boot?
    Question for the experts

    hopefully unix can get to it asap, is it just affecting people who are installing it fresh or those updating it too?
    Last edited by kel101; 08/08/2011 at 05:18 PM.
  3. #2603  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    Question for the experts

    hopefully unix can get to it asap, is it just affecting people who are installing it fresh or those updating it too?
    I havent seen a kernel dump from anyone yet
    Live free or DIE!
  4. #2604  
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    I havent seen a kernel dump from anyone yet
    will be a bit difficult for me, pretty busy atm and have a case of the manflu..
  5.    #2605  
    Quote Originally Posted by alphonsocino View Post
    i was saying i had the same problem. so the details were the same. but i guess i didnt explain how i tried to install uberkernel after the feed was updated and i still had the same issue. i doctored my phone, got the wifi working again, and now i think im going to try to install the thunderchief kernel....which i was having the same no wifi issue with any kernel, including uberkernel. so hopefully ill have some successs now.
    Please include precise version numbers in every post about any issue. Expecting us to keep track of what each person is running is not reasonable.

    Remember that the kernel you installed is from the alpha testing feed. The 6 rules of alpha testing apply. Just switching to another kernel does not help us determine what is wrong with the first kernel and helping determine that is an obligation of alpha testers.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  6.    #2606  
    Notice to everyone. If you do not want to be an active participant in the alpha testing of UberKernel for the Pre 2, then please turn off your testing feed.

    Just saying "it doesn't work" is not upholding your obligations as an alpha tester.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  7. ght
    ght is offline
    ght's Avatar
    Posts
    772 Posts
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    #2607  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You need to immediately boot into recovery mode (power+vol-up) without removing power to the RAM, and then use novacom get file://klog to get the kernel log of the crash.

    -- Rod
    Can someone point me to the step-by-step for this procedure? I have a Pre2 coming from ebay, and it sounds like we need alpha kernel testers for Pre2. I'll help out if I can, but I need some education on providing debugging information.

    (I have used recovery mode before when doctoring, but never while maintaining power to the device.)
  8. #2608  
    Good morning, Rod -

    Running a VZW Pre 2 with 2.0.1 here. Had been using the prior release of Uberkernel alpha without incident. I installed the update this morning (V2.0.1-75) and I'm experiencing odd behavior on startup: It looks like a DOS machine starting, a black screen with white text running through all the startup processes. It did start normally, however. I did another restart and confirmed that this behavior can be duplicated.

    I'm removing UK for now because it is making me nervous (traveling today and can't afford any meltdowns!), but other than that oddity everything seems to be working just fine. And, I can confirm that the reboot without this version of UK was normal.

    Anyone else noticing this?

    P.S. My first purchase with my Promo Code was HB Documentation. Thanks for all your great work!
  9.    #2609  
    The boot console is intentional. It's there so people can report what it says if anything goes wrong. It will be removed when the kernel is moved from the testing feed to the stable feed. Consider it a reminder that you are alpha testing a kernel from the testing feed.

    -- Rod
  10. #2610  
    Ah, ok--thanks! I thought that MIGHT be the case, but don't recall having seen it with any of the prior testing kernals so was a bit concerned something with amiss. Thanks again, Rod!
  11. #2611  
    Following the veruy nice instructions at webos-internals, regarding optimizations for the original Pre, I switched from UberKernel to F105 thunderchief, which has that l337 h4xx0r console on boot. I was shocked too when I first saw it.

    It's there so people can report what it says if anything goes wrong
    Aussie computer techies always carry a microscope with them, just in case :-D
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

    Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
  12. #2612  
    verizon Pre2 meta-doctored to webos 2.1 updated my my uber-k to the recently released uber-kernel 2.1.0-75. At first I thought the phone had failed to boot as it was spending more then several minutes on the HP logo screen. Pulled battery and tried two more times with same result(hung on hp logo).

    Prepared for memboot, but oddly after firing up my laptop and doing some web browsing I looked down and the phone had booted successfully. However I launched govnah application and phone luna restarted. Five minutes later (way longer then normal for pre2) my phone booted again and all my added launcher pages had been erased.
    This time I launched Preware and installed recovery kernel, although launcher pages had been reset to original three pages I lost no data. Maybe problem is webos 2.1 since 2.0 users seem to have no problems
    Last edited by mannyfrehest; 08/09/2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: had installed instead of updated
  13. #2613  
    Had the same exact issue, doctoring back.
    Sent from my Verizon Pre2
  14. wyk3d's Avatar
    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #2614  
    Since my installation of the new kernel and govnah my phone randomly turns itself off. I've tried it on screenstate 500/800 as well as the Uberkernel default with no solution. Anyone know what might be causing this issue? I have govnah 0.8.3 and kernel 178. Its a standard sprint pre with 1.4.5 running. Any assistance would be appreciated.
  15. #2615  
    fixing with doctor is like killing a fly with a bazooka. Memboot and save yourself trouble
  16. #2616  
    Sprint Pre2: 2.1.0
    I tried installing UK v2.1.0-75 in testing feeds.
    I got the same results as the previous UK. (-71?)

    I did not even see the boot console. I had to pull the battery, put it in recovery mode and mem boot.
    Are there any other commands I can run to help debug? Novacom is unresponsive the entire time.

    Thanks,
  17.    #2617  
    Quote Originally Posted by troymiller View Post
    Sprint Pre2: 2.1.0
    I tried installing UK v2.1.0-75 in testing feeds.
    I got the same results as the previous UK. (-71?)

    I did not even see the boot console. I had to pull the battery, put it in recovery mode and mem boot.
    Are there any other commands I can run to help debug? Novacom is unresponsive the entire time.

    Thanks,
    It is somewhat disturbing that the UberKernel/Pre2 which boots and overclocks without issue on my devices will not even boot at stock frequencies on yours. We need to somehow debug this failure further in IRC today.

    -- Rod
  18. pebacher's Avatar
    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #2618  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Firstly, you should uninstall any custom kernel before installing a different one.

    Secondly, installing the Palm recovery kernel will fix your issue.

    -- Rod
    Phone - Pre+ on Verizon
    webOS - 1.4.5.1
    PreWare - 1.7.0
    Govnah - 1.0.3

    Attempt to update UberKernel failed today. I followed the instructions to install the Palm recovery kernel. It installed successfully. I confirmed this in Govnah. The following log shows the errors in attempting to install UK 1.4.5-178. I have the above several times with the same results. I have no other kernels installed.

    begin
    Nothing Interesting.
    download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    99 3481k 99 3474k 0 0 193k 0 0:00:17 0:00:17 --:--:-- 172k
    100 3481k 100 3481k 0 0 193k 0 0:00:17 0:00:17 --:--:-- 164k
    identify
    org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre
    install
    Begin installation of org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre
    Installing org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre (1.4.5-178) to root...
    Begin installation of org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre
    Installing org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre (1.4.5-178) to root...
    Begin installation of org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre
    Installing org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre (1.4.5-178) to root...
    Begin installation of org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre
    Installing org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre (1.4.5-178) to root...
    Begin installation of org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre
    Installing org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre (1.4.5-178) to root...
    Configuring org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.postinst)
    mkdir-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    install-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.postinst 2>&1
    Kernel confirmed to be compatible with this webOS version
    Verifying no existing modifications to target files ...
    Verification failed on /boot/System.map-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /boot/config-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /boot/uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/ramzswap.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/xvmalloc.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/arch/arm/oprofile/oprofile.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/crypto/ecb.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/crypto/pcbc.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/block/nbd.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/net/ifb.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_wait_scan.ko
    Device kernel is not in factory condition, refusing to install replacement
    remove
    Removing package org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre from root...
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.prerm)
    delete
    Nothing Interesting.
    failed
    Nothing Interesting.
  19.    #2619  
    Quote Originally Posted by pebacher View Post
    Phone - Pre+ on Verizon
    webOS - 1.4.5.1
    PreWare - 1.7.0
    Govnah - 1.0.3

    Attempt to update UberKernel failed today. I followed the instructions to install the Palm recovery kernel. It installed successfully. I confirmed this in Govnah. The following log shows the errors in attempting to install UK 1.4.5-178. I have the above several times with the same results. I have no other kernels installed.

    begin
    Nothing Interesting.
    download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    99 3481k 99 3474k 0 0 193k 0 0:00:17 0:00:17 --:--:-- 172k
    100 3481k 100 3481k 0 0 193k 0 0:00:17 0:00:17 --:--:-- 164k
    identify
    org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre
    install
    Begin installation of org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre
    Installing org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre (1.4.5-178) to root...
    Begin installation of org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre
    Installing org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre (1.4.5-178) to root...
    Begin installation of org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre
    Installing org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre (1.4.5-178) to root...
    Begin installation of org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre
    Installing org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre (1.4.5-178) to root...
    Begin installation of org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre
    Installing org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre (1.4.5-178) to root...
    Configuring org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.postinst)
    mkdir-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    install-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.postinst 2>&1
    Kernel confirmed to be compatible with this webOS version
    Verifying no existing modifications to target files ...
    Verification failed on /boot/System.map-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /boot/config-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /boot/uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/ramzswap.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/xvmalloc.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/arch/arm/oprofile/oprofile.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/crypto/ecb.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/crypto/pcbc.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/block/nbd.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/net/ifb.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_wait_scan.ko
    Device kernel is not in factory condition, refusing to install replacement
    remove
    Removing package org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre from root...
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.prerm)
    delete
    Nothing Interesting.
    failed
    Nothing Interesting.
    Thanks for a good problem report.

    Please install the Show Properties app from Preware and report your DMMODEL, DMCARRIER and DMSETS values.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  20. pebacher's Avatar
    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #2620  
    Dear Rod:

    I installed Show Properties and found the following:

    DMModel - P101EWW
    DMCARRIER - Verizon
    DMSETS - {"sets":"520","524"}

    Paul

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions