Page 13 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182363113 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Realizing that we are dealing with Alpha builds at this point means that we can expect funky behaviour.

Running Uber-Kernel 1.4.1-9, Govnah 0.2.4

Several items that I've noticed with regards to Govnah;

- Although the frequency settings specified are 'ondemand' with min @ 250 and max @ 800, the app is reporting that the frequency routinely drops to 125, in point it is spending the majority of it's time there.

- The kernel is stepping up the frequency correctly as demand rises so this part is functioning great.

- The graphing in Govnah does not appear to be affecting other running apps as it was doing in ver. 0.1.3.

As to the phone operation;

- I am only opening Govnah occasionally to check stats, I am immediately closing the card view after that.

- The phone is rebooting itself every now and then.....no discernible pattern. Sometimes it won't turn on after pressing the wake button...a couple of presses later and the phone will reboot.

- The frequency scaling is obviously functioning because the phone is staying quite cool. No overheating issues.

Questions;

1) Is there an update to the Uber-Kernel expected in the next little while?

2) I've noticed a few commenters indicating that they've had similar freq. setting issues, however their solutions for running a 3D app prior to activating Govnah does not seem to work for me.....anyone have another solution, or are we dealing with a functionality issue that will be looked at over subsequent iterations of Govnah?

Thanks so much to the Uber-Kernel and Govnah app developers...those two items have made the phone much more useable, despite the occasional rebooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazirker View Post
    Abyssul, I assume you achieved those settings by changing them in Govnah? I can't get ondemand to work at all because the stock setting is 125 MHz minimum and no matter how many programs I have running, it seems to crash as soon as I switch over. Did your Pre just let you switch on over or was there another way you got ondemand to work?
    Try uninstalling and reinstalling Govnah and the Uber-Kernel. All I have to do is select the settings and save them. Then they instantly start working.

My personal experience for anyone reading is that conservative governor takes a decent hit to performance. While it does a good job with scaling, it doesn't react fast enough when you need it to up scale the most. It does it in steps instead of quick jumps. I'll probably experiment more with it, but generally I could feel some poor lag and performance hits when I use it compared to ondemand.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post

- Although the frequency settings specified are 'ondemand' with min @ 250 and max @ 800, the app is reporting that the frequency routinely drops to 125, in point it is spending the majority of it's time there.

- The phone is rebooting itself every now and then.....no discernible pattern. Sometimes it won't turn on after pressing the wake button...a couple of presses later and the phone will reboot.
    I'm convinced to believe that the 250MHz setting for minimal for the ondemand governor is quite buggy which is why it displays that the 125MHz readings. I believe it could be the uber-kernel since the problem exists even if you use a .sh script to permanent the settings without Govnah. Your phone keeps rebooting probably because of the 125MHz clock speeds and possibly the 250MHz (in my case). Once you delve into the world of Preware and overclocking, random reboots are not surprising.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    I admit I am late to the party...

Is time still misspelled as "TINE" in Govnah?

Regardless, big thanks to everyone for all the great work with the Uber Kernels and Govnah!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    I'm convinced to believe that the 250MHz setting for minimal for the ondemand governor is quite buggy which is why it displays that the 125MHz readings. I believe it could be the uber-kernel since the problem exists even if you use a .sh script to permanent the settings without Govnah. Your phone keeps rebooting probably because of the 125MHz clock speeds and possibly the 250MHz (in my case). Once you delve into the world of Preware and overclocking, random reboots are not surprising.
    Further information regarding the minimum frequency setting in the 'ondemand' mode. Setting the freq. to 500MHz did not change the behaviour, it still drops down to 125MHz. Did a cold reboot of the phone as well....same behaviour.

I completely understand that this is an alpha release (if that) and I'm not making a complaint, merely trying to pass on information that may be useful to the developers.

As I've stated before, even with the crashes and rebooting the phone is far more useable with the Uber-Kernel and the Govnah app than what it used to be in it's factory state. Great work on the developers part.
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    I admit I am late to the party...

Is time still misspelled as "TINE" in Govnah?
    No.
  7.    #247  
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    Further information regarding the minimum frequency setting in the 'ondemand' mode. Setting the freq. to 500MHz did not change the behaviour, it still drops down to 125MHz. Did a cold reboot of the phone as well....same behaviour.

I completely understand that this is an alpha release (if that) and I'm not making a complaint, merely trying to pass on information that may be useful to the developers.

As I've stated before, even with the crashes and rebooting the phone is far more useable with the Uber-Kernel and the Govnah app than what it used to be in it's factory state. Great work on the developers part.
    Don't worry, we don't take any alpha testing reports as complaints. At the moment, what we're collectively doing is working out what does and does not work with the kernel code that Palm has supplied, the patches that we have added to that, and the particular individual devices that we all own (some of which will do 800MHz and 125MHz with no problems, and some of which will have hardware problems at either or both ends of that frequency range).

As long as no-one thinks that software can magically fix hardware limitations on an individual device, or thinks that just cause it works or doesn't work for one person then that result should be transferrable to others, we're all cool

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Changed my settings this morning.
    Running conservative still but min is now 550 and max 720. Will see how it affects the phone.

Edit: actual settings (a/o 11:20am EDST)
    - conservative
    - min = 550
    - max = 720
    - sampling rate = 500000
    - sampling down factor = 1 (was 2)
    - Up threshold = 75%
    - down threshold = 20%
    - ignore nice load = false
    - freq step = 25% (was 15%)
    Last edited by MudShark22; 04/28/2010 at 10:21 AM.
    I'm still really liking 'On Demand' best in Govnah. Running pretty flawlessly on my device, Sprint 1.4.1.1 with a 12/22/09 build date.

Pretty much the standard settings in Govnah: Scaling 125-800, Sampling Rate 200000, Up Threshold 80%, Ignore Nice Load 'False', Powersave Bias 0

I've been messing around a lot with Govnah and the different settings. For me this setting has offered the smoothest operation so far, no heat issues or worries anymore, no complaints.

Attached are some stats with about two hours runtime. Gets pretty impressive by the end of the day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mjkjr; 04/28/2010 at 08:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Try uninstalling and reinstalling Govnah and the Uber-Kernel. All I have to do is select the settings and save them. Then they instantly start working.

My personal experience for anyone reading is that conservative governor takes a decent hit to performance. While it does a good job with scaling, it doesn't react fast enough when you need it to up scale the most. It does it in steps instead of quick jumps. I'll probably experiment more with it, but generally I could feel some poor lag and performance hits when I use it compared to ondemand.
    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling (with a fresh stock kernel reinstall in between) and still get a freeze when I switch over to ondemand. While conservative works for me, I agree that it seems to be a little slow to kick up the clock speed when you need it. However, without ondemand working on my phone, it's the best scaling option I've got (powersave just seems to kick the clock speed to the minimum while performance maxes it) so I guess I'll keep experimenting. I still think ondemand crashes because it scales down to 125 MHz before I can raise the minimum clock speed...
    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling (with a fresh stock kernel reinstall in between) and still get a freeze when I switch over to ondemand. While conservative works for me, I agree that it seems to be a little slow to kick up the clock speed when you need it. However, without ondemand working on my phone, it's the best scaling option I've got (powersave just seems to kick the clock speed to the minimum while performance maxes it) so I guess I'll keep experimenting. I still think ondemand crashes because it scales down to 125 MHz before I can raise the minimum clock speed...
    With conservative, I have found (so far) that increasing the freq step and lowering the up threshold percentage gets the clock speed to kick up nicely.
    As noted above; my min clock speed is 550 MHz (which is higher than stock) and I set the max to 720MHz. So far, temp has ranged between 32 celsius (idle) to 42 celsius when giving the phone a workout. Cools quickly though
    Quote:
    Code used for “scale on”:
    echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    echo 500000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
    echo 11 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
    echo 1000000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate
    echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/powersave_bias

I seem to be having the same problem. Never scales down below 500 with on demand or conservative. I have used cpuscaler uber. not 100% familiar with command line entries. Should i just run each of them one at a time to refresh the original settings that may have been changed?
    Thanks for the help.

edit: went into scaleruber and scaled to 125-800. reset and now am seeing time in state down to 125mhz. maybe that will help some other people.
    Last edited by graffix31; 04/28/2010 at 11:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    With conservative, I have found (so far) that increasing the freq step and lowering the up threshold percentage gets the clock speed to kick up nicely.
    As noted above; my min clock speed is 550 MHz (which is higher than stock) and I set the max to 720MHz. So far, temp has ranged between 32 celsius (idle) to 42 celsius when giving the phone a workout. Cools quickly though
    Yeah I also raised the up threshold, my phone was rarely kicking above the min freq with it requiring 80% load. I'll try increase the freq step to see if that helps.
    Hello my name is Alberto. I am Spanish and is the first time you enter the forum. I installed the SuperKernel and Govnah but I have a problem. In Govnah no indication of temperature. Why is this happening? I need to add a feed? Thanks and sorry my English is not good
    Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Rodriguez View Post
    Hello my name is Alberto. I am Spanish and is the first time you enter the forum. I installed the SuperKernel and Govnah but I have a problem. In Govnah no indication of temperature. Why is this happening? I need to add a feed? Thanks and sorry my English is not good
    This is probably because Govnah is designed to work with Uber-Kernal, not SuperKernel. SuperKernal may not have the CPU temperature sensor patch built-in like Uber-Kernel and therefore is unable to send a temperature reading to Govnah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Rodriguez View Post
    I've noticed that if your phone is cold it will not show a temperature. I've seen mine not display a temperature until it is at 25c or higher
    This is probably because Govnah is designed to work with Uber-Kernal, not SuperKernel. SuperKernal may not have the CPU temperature sensor patch built-in like Uber-Kernel and therefore is unable to send a temperature reading to Govnah.
    That too =)
    Yeah I also raised the up threshold, my phone was rarely kicking above the min freq with it requiring 80% load. I'll try increase the freq step to see if that helps.
    I think you mean lowered the Up threshold. My understanding of this function = the lower the %# the more likely that the frequency will get bumped up (since it correlates to how busy the CPU is). So if Govnah checks the CPU and its being used >%#l; then it kicks it up.
    To those who are unsure of how all the settings work give this page a read... great information!!

Application:Govnah - WebOS Internals
    Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    I've noticed that if your phone is cold it will not show a temperature. I've seen mine not display a temperature until it is at 25c or higher
    That's interesting...I've seen my cpu temperature go as low as 21c.