Page 122 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2272112117118119120121122123124125126127132 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,440 of 2889
Like Tree17Likes
    I have same problem with swap on pre- (2.1). If i run heavy app (who eats many ram - 3d games, mplayer, ffplayer), part of the memory is moved to swap. But when i close an app, reverse movement of memory not happening and free ram again filled. Thus, after several hours of active use swap size increases to 100Mb+ (with any OC kernel, default profiles) and smartphone starts to slow down. On 1.4.5 this problem was absent. Possibly to fix it?
    Sorry for my English =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamil View Post
    On 1.4.5 this problem was absent. Possibly to fix it?
    Yes. Go back to 1.4.5, or learn to enjoy rebooting your phone fairly often. Simple Luna restarts help some, but, webOS 2.1 is CONSIDERABLY more resource hungry than 1.4.5 in general. Our whimpy Pre Minuses have a hard enough time as it is with 2.1, then you're throwing in heavy duty games on top of that.

M.
    Just curious if screenstate V2 or the 1.1 ghz will ever make it into UK. i can understand 1.1 because im sure there are some pres that cant run it although it would be nice to have the option for those of us that can. but screenstate v2 has been great.
    just curious.
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    Just curious if screenstate V2 or the 1.1 ghz will ever make it into UK. i can understand 1.1 because im sure there are some pres that cant run it although it would be nice to have the option for those of us that can. but screenstate v2 has been great.
    just curious.
    thanks
    Cuz i'm not done with Screenstate V2 yet. UK will never have something every Pre can't run.
    Live free or DIE!
    cool, thanks. yeah i figured 1.1 wouldnt make it in. wasnt sure how most did with that. knowing that sr-71 brings out the pink panties in most pres at 1.2. not done with v2? look forward to updates. GO CELTS, BRUINS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    So I'm back to my basic question - why would I want to use Compcache if I don't appear to be using SWAP?
    Bump
  7.    #2427  
    Bump
    If you never go into swap (I presume you don't have a Pre-), then you never need compcache.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If you never go into swap (I presume you don't have a Pre-), then you never need compcache.
    Thank you - that's precisely what I was confused about. (And yes it is a Pre Plus)
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 04/06/2011 at 09:35 AM.

-- Rod
    Rod - major confusion on my end. I removed UK to do some comparison testing and I realized that I now show:

Code:
    root@palm-webos-device: free -tm
                   total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
      Mem:           492        338        154          0         74         98
      -/+ buffers/cache:        165        327
      Swap:            0          0          0  Total:         492        338        154
    Does the stock kernel have zero swap as default on Verizon (Pre Plus) or is this due to something wrong in the Preware UK restore of the Palm Default Kernel? A buddy also tried this on his Sprint Pre (his is a FrankenPlus) and he found the same Zero swap after removal of UK.

Thoughts?

BTW Swap is there just not "in use":
    Code:
    root@palm-webos-device: lvscan
      File descriptor 3 (socket:[11687]) leaked on lvscan invocation. Parent PID 3019: /bin/sh
        ACTIVE            '/dev/store/root' [456.00 MB] inherit
        ACTIVE            '/dev/store/var' [256.00 MB] inherit
        ACTIVE            '/dev/store/update' [56.00 MB] inherit
        ACTIVE            '/dev/store/log' [40.00 MB] inherit
        ACTIVE            '/dev/store/media' [13.86 GB] inherit
        ACTIVE            '/dev/store/swap' [128.00 MB] inherit
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 04/06/2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Updated info
  10.    #2430  
    Rod - major confusion on my end. I removed UK to do some comparison testing and I realized that I now show:

Code:
      Mem:           492        338        154          0         74         98
      -/+ buffers/cache:        165        327
      Swap:            0          0          0  Total:         492        338        154
    Does the stock kernel have zero swap as default on Verizon (Pre Plus) or is this due to something wrong in the Preware UK restore of the Palm Default Kernel? A buddy also tried this on his Sprint Pre (his is a FrankenPlus) and he found the same Zero swap after removal of UK.

Thoughts?

BTW Swap is there just not "in use":
    Code:
      File descriptor 3 (socket:[11687]) leaked on lvscan invocation. Parent PID 3019: /bin/sh
    Install the recovery kernel and see if that fixes it.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Install the recovery kernel and see if that fixes it.
    No dice...

Code:
      Mem:           492        266        226          0         15         96
      -/+ buffers/cache:        153        339
      Swap:            0          0          0
      Total:         492        266        226

File descriptor 3 (socket:[11714]) leaked on lvscan invocation. Parent PID 2303: /bin/sh
      File descriptor 11 (socket:[15544]) leaked on lvscan invocation. Parent PID 2303: /bin/sh
    This is strange. My friends "FrankenPlus" (PrePlus on Sprint) was only recently metadoctored and has the same issue when he returned to the stock kernel to test this.)

FWIW - I have never had a testing Kernel on this device - only Palm, UK, and F102A.

Would you prefer I take this to another thread since it is unclear what the cause of this is? I assume that installing UK or F102A and then uninstalling did it - but I can't be sure.
  12.    #2432  
    No dice...

Code:
      Mem:           492        266        226          0         15         96
      -/+ buffers/cache:        153        339
      Swap:            0          0          0
      Total:         492        266        226

File descriptor 3 (socket:[11714]) leaked on lvscan invocation. Parent PID 2303: /bin/sh
      File descriptor 11 (socket:[15544]) leaked on lvscan invocation. Parent PID 2303: /bin/sh
    This is strange. My friends "FrankenPlus" (PrePlus on Sprint) was only recently metadoctored and has the same issue when he returned to the stock kernel to test this.)

FWIW - I have never had a testing Kernel on this device - only Palm, UK, and F102A.

Would you prefer I take this to another thread since it is unclear what the cause of this is? I assume that installing UK or F102A and then uninstalling did it - but I can't be sure.
    Did you reboot after installing?

If so, run swapon -s on the command line.

-- Rod
    Did you reboot after installing?

If so, run swapon -s on the command line.
    Yes Preware offered an option to Restart the phone and I went with that rather than a manual restart.

Code:
    root@palm-webos-device: uptime
       20:18:32 up 29 min,  0 users,  load average: 0.20, 0.25, 0.38
    root@palm-webos-device:

The output of swapon -s hasn't changed so far; this is what I saw before installing the recovery kernel.

Code:
    root@palm-webos-device: swapon -s
      Filename				Type		Size	Used	Priority
    root@palm-webos-device:
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 04/06/2011 at 07:19 PM.
  14.    #2434  
    Yes Preware offered an option to Restart the phone and I went with that rather than a manual restart.

Code:
    root@palm-webos-device: uptime
       20:18:32 up 29 min,  0 users,  load average: 0.20, 0.25, 0.38
    root@palm-webos-device:

The output of swapon -s hasn't changed so far; this is what I saw before installing the recovery kernel.

Code:
    root@palm-webos-device: swapon -s
      Filename				Type		Size	Used	Priority
    root@palm-webos-device:
    OK, that is strange. It should show either ramzswap or the swap partition.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by hankemp View Post
    Finally took the dive and upgraded my Verizon Pre Plus to 2.1. After upgrading, I mistakenly tried to install Uberkernel through webOSQuickInstall. The install got far enough to show it on the Pre, but Govnah can't take advantage of it. I've tried to delete with Preware and QuickInstall and get a failure message of "unable to locate the tarball". Any suggestions on how I can recover and reinstall UK?
    Pre- on Sprint US running 2.1 and wanted to simply uninstall UK to try out another kernal (namely F102A) and got the above error. I tried WOSQI 4.04 first to uninstall (only because I had it open) and got the message and now I get the same in Preware.

I did a search and found this thread and this post but didnt see a response or a pointer to another thread or wiki?

Can anyone shed some "tarball" light?

Thanks

DT
  16.    #2436  
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTreo View Post
    Pre- on Sprint US running 2.1 and wanted to simply uninstall UK to try out another kernal (namely F102A) and got the above error. I tried WOSQI 4.04 first to uninstall (only because I had it open) and got the message and now I get the same in Preware.

I did a search and found this thread and this post but didnt see a response or a pointer to another thread or wiki?

Can anyone shed some "tarball" light?

Thanks

DT
    Install the recovery kernel using Preware, and start again, using Preware.

-- Rod
    Ideas for next steps? I'm thinking of reinstalling UK or F102a but I also want to help diagnose this. Has anyone else checked this? I know of two Pre Pluses (one FrankenPlus on Sprint) that have this same behavior.
    I got itchy and tried to install F102a - it locked up on install and I didn't know what to do (see this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...=1#post2931268)

Eventually after multiple recovery reinstalls I installed UK successfully (2nd time is the charm) and then swap was back.

Swap is now back to the 127/0/127 reported earlier in the thread. Unclear where to go next. If desired I will uninstall UK again but I checked before installing each time and had swap 0/0/0 so I don't think the recovery kernel change is why I have swap back - I think something is missing in the recovery kernel restore - but I'm not sure what.
    Do I get a prize now that I seem to have stumped everyone?
    How do you tend to validate your UK voltage settings? I've been playing with voltages now that I have UK installed again and I was curious what tasks you do and how long you tinker with things before you decide a voltage is stable.

I tend to launch a browser, email, contacts, google search (app), music (on shuffle), and Govnah and maybe Battery Monitor. I tap the launcher a bunch and swipe apps back and forth and look for glitches. I do this for a short time - maybe a minute and then move on. Once I get low enough to be nervous I stop playing and use the phone normally for an extended period of time.

My testing right now is for 500mhz/800mhz screen state and I got it down to 1125mV (or was it below 1100?) at 800mhz before it crashed. I am testing more extensively at 1175mV at the moment. Given that my Pre is generally pretty stable at 250mhz (1 or 2 crashes in many tests over time using conservative governor) I suspect it will work at pretty low voltages - how does this result compare with others out there?

I haven't pushed 500mhz that much - currently set for 975mV.