Page 11 of 145 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162161111 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rawspot View Post
    I think he was asking if the phone will scale back down to 250Mhz after you use the camera application and not if you had troubles using the camera application.

Verarb275: I just tried this and my phone will not scale back down below 500mhz after using the camera application. I have not tried rebooting, but I'm sure that will resolve it as you mentioned.
    same thing here, it doesn't drop below 500 after running the camera app.

I guess thecamera app messes with the min freq... This is the same behaviour I get when modifying the min freq once it has been set.
  2.    #202  
    Quote Originally Posted by heltoupee View Post
    Ok, I'm on the UBERKernel bandwagon, too. I downloaded the .ipk's directly to a computer from the testing feed, installed via WebOSQuickInstall 3.12.
    You should really use the testing feed with Preware, so you are automatically notified of important updates when you open Preware.

Installing ipkgs outside of a feed structure makes you disconnected from any updates we need to push out to fix various things.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I'm still having freezing issues with the new Govnah app (0.2.3)

I uninstalled the app, then the uber kernel, rebooted the phone, ran the stock kernel patch to make sure everything was golden, rebooted again, then installed the Govnah app, then the uber kernel then rebooted again.

I can adjust the 'ondemand' settings with no issues, userspace, performance also work, but as soon as I go into the 'conservative' settings my phone locks up and needs a battery pull. This didn't happen until the 0.2.3 update of Govnah.

Anything I can do to try and help to figure out what is going on?
    Looks like I spoke too soon... conservative also locks my phone up. I can only currently run userspace and performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    Looks like I spoke too soon... conservative also locks my phone up. I can only currently run userspace and performance.
    What are you setting as your min freq? My pre locks up if I set it to 125 with both ondemand and conservative. However with tweaking of other settings it may be possible to retain the 125 min (at least I'm assuming). I should also mention so far only working with memos and having that min has caused mine to lock up. Which seems strange to me which is why I haven't ruled it out as the speed being the cause.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    What are you setting as your min freq? My pre locks up if I set it to 125 with both ondemand and conservative. However with tweaking of other settings it may be possible to retain the 125 min (at least I'm assuming). I should also mention so far only working with memos and having that min has caused mine to lock up. Which seems strange to me which is why I haven't ruled it out as the speed being the cause.
    It is showing 500mhz. I know that 250 will freeze it up. Maybe one of the other settings are still at 125mhz.. is there something I can keep running in the background to keep cpu speed up while I try to figure out what setting still has 125mhz so I can change it to 500mhz and save it before it freezes?
    Yeah... I just went into 'ondemand' and the min speed is 500mhz and before I could do anything my phone just froze up again.

Like I said this didn't start until I upgraded to 0.2.3 and still doing it under the brand new 0.2.4 Govnah.
    I found this page describing the Governor settings - it is general Linux but I think the descriptions mostly apply to what we are doing. Correct me if I am wrong.

IBM Information Center for Linux

i too have found that the Ondemand settings current freq dropping to 125 when I have min set to 500. This is not an issue when using Conservative, but I prefer to the Ondemand profile. Sure wish I could find a solution.
    I'm also seeing repeated lockups after a full uninstall/reinstall. {J}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    It is showing 500mhz. I know that 250 will freeze it up. Maybe one of the other settings are still at 125mhz.. is there something I can keep running in the background to keep cpu speed up while I try to figure out what setting still has 125mhz so I can change it to 500mhz and save it before it freezes?
    Try running Pandora or any other streaming audio app prior to opening Govnah so that the cpu usage is up. I believe that should be enough to keep the governor from reducing the freq while changing settings in Govnah.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    i too have found that the Ondemand settings current freq dropping to 125 when I have min set to 500. This is not an issue when using Conservative, but I prefer to the Ondemand profile. Sure wish I could find a solution.
    I just discovered setting the powerbias to 10 (or probably any value greater than 0) fixes the issue where Ondemand was ignoring the min freq. Mine is no longer dropping below 500. YMMV
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    I'm also seeing repeated lockups after a full uninstall/reinstall. {J}
    When did yours start?

Just wondering if anyone starting having these issues after the 0.2.3 update (that is when my issues started)
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Try running Pandora or any other streaming audio app prior to opening Govnah so that the cpu usage is up. I believe that should be enough to keep the governor from reducing the freq while changing settings in Govnah.
    Thanks for the tip but I just started loading tons of apps plus streaming internet radio and as soon as I went into the 'ondemand' setting my phone froze. I'm starting to think it isn't an issue of the phone trying to scale itself too low, but something in the govnah app that is locking up.
  14.    #214  
    Thanks for the tip but I just started loading tons of apps plus streaming internet radio and as soon as I went into the 'ondemand' setting my phone froze. I'm starting to think it isn't an issue of the phone trying to scale itself too low, but something in the govnah app that is locking up.
    Note that the Govnah app and service just sets kernel parameters (exactly as if you had set them yourself on the command line).

Any lock-ups will be due to kernel governor code (which we haven't changed from the 2.6.24 Linux source code, but we have enabled some that Palm have not included in their kernel, so may well be untested), or due to the overclocking itself, and the variability of such across individual devices.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Note that the Govnah app and service just sets kernel parameters (exactly as if you had set them yourself on the command line).

Any lock-ups will be due to kernel governor code (which we haven't changed from the 2.6.24 Linux source code, but we have enabled some that Palm have not included in their kernel, so may well be untested), or due to the overclocking itself, and the variability of such across individual devices.

-- Rod
    Thanks for the info Rod!!

I was beating the crap out of my phone to the point were 800mhz seemed worse than stock and went through all the settings again in govnah and now that everything is resaved to stock settings for each category my pre seems stable again. I'm now back to using custom settings and so far no crashes. Hopefully it will keep rolling and I will be able to pass more info on my phone and the settings I'm using!
    I'm interested to know what settings Rod and Oil are using....
  17.    #217  
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanicalMind View Post
    You may be surprised to find out that I don't overclock my main phone, and will not do so until we've got temperature-based safety limits with automatic frequency descalers in the service - the nearest replacement device for me is on the other side of the world.

-- Rod
    You may be surprised to find out that I don't overclock my main phone, and will not do so until we've got temperature-based safety limits with automatic frequency descalers in the service - the nearest replacement device for me is on the other side of the world.

-- Rod
    That does surprise me! I have no problem being your guinea pig

How far off are the temp freq descalers from hitting the release? Also awesome to hear when I got wind of you collaborating with sconix to incorporate profile support. I was actually looking at a youtube clip of the Droid/Milestone overclock and the app that controls that had simple profile options within.
  19.    #219  
    That does surprise me! I have no problem being your guinea pig

How far off are the temp freq descalers from hitting the release?
    My doesn't-work-as-a-phone-in-Australia Sprint CDMA Pre is used for testing the kernel design and packaging and the Govnah application, but we're really only currently in the stage of alpha testing where we're measuring temperatures to be able to calibrate the top end of temperatures experienced at stock frequencies.

-- Rod
    Haha, I also haven't been overclocking my main phone. And on my dev phone, only to make sure everything govnah can do actually works.