Page 10 of 145 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060110 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    That is what I noticed too looking at the time in state. But even leaving it at 800mhz my battery life is much better than stock.

But like I mentioned earlier even using the 'ondemand' or 'conservative' my cpu will never go below 500mhz even though I've set it to 250mhz.
    That's funny, my Pre will go to 125 in ondemand even if scaling_min_freq is set higher. Not in conservative, though.
    I've run into something similar with both ondemand and conservative.
    I've been able to reproduce this behavior. After a reboot, conservative and ondemand will scale down to minimum values of 125 and 250 (which can cause lockups and reboots for me). But open up some 3d apps or the video camera and close them after a min. The minimums will now not go down past 500.

PS: scaling from 125 to 800 has been using 2x 3x times the battery for me unfortunately vs a static speed, even at 800.

Great work btw!
    Last edited by Verarb275; 04/26/2010 at 10:20 AM.
    The development of Uber Kernel is very much appreciated and this thread is at the very least an interesting read for those on the sidelines.

How far along the road is Uber Kernel to where us "normals" will be able to intall using Preware?
    ..., , *fingers crossed* of the way??

Thanks for all the work you guys do.
    Frequency not dropping bellow 500MHz issue... Using the conservative governor.

This seems to happen whenever you modify the frequencies (min and/or max). If you reboot, set governor to conservative, set desired min max frequencies, hit save. It scalea properly. Now, go change the min freq, hit save and the min freq is locked to 500MHz. A reboot is required to change the config properly. Changing the governor to userspace then back to conservative will not do it.

This kinda off make me wonder if changing the other settings without a reboot will have the desired effect.
    I've been running on the conservative governor for two days (250-800 day 1, 250-720 day 2) without any stability issues.

I have a up threshold of 70 and down of 25. Also set the ignore nice load to true and freq step of 10%.

battery life is definitely better (on idle or while playing non action games).

scrolling (especially in the web browser) is not very smooth until the cpu scales up.

the overall experience is not bad, but I guess, it does not scales up fast enough to make it closer to stock frequencies.
    Quote Originally Posted by ukabu View Post
    I've been running on the conservative governor for two days (250-800 day 1, 250-720 day 2) without any stability issues.

I have a up threshold of 70 and down of 25. Also set the ignore nice load to true and freq step of 10%.

battery life is definitely better (on idle or while playing non action games).

scrolling (especially in the web browser) is not very smooth until the cpu scales up.

the overall experience is not bad, but I guess, it does not scales up fast enough to make it closer to stock frequencies.
    I'm going to give those a try!

Funny thing is I rebooted my phone, and set those values and now my phone is reading at 250mhz! Lets see how this works for me..

I love this community involvement!! I give a tip of the hat to everyone here helping each other out!

--edit--

Looks like the 250 crashes my Pre I guess I'll stick with 500mhz for now on the low end
    I have no idea what happened.. but I updated to the new Govnah app (0.2.3 I think) and now every time I go into the settings screen (mostly when I choose ondemand) my Pre locks up. I've had to do 2 battery pulls.

I'm going back to the 'stock' userspace as that seems to not cause lock ups
    Have there been any changes to the Uber-kernel for SmartReflex voltage stepping? And does Govnah adjust these parameters?
    I increased the freq step to 25% and scrolling and overall responsivness is much better now.

the cpu scales faster with these settings... It does seems that it hits 500 and 550 less often than before and climbs almost immediately to 600, then to 720 if needed.

also with these settings (see my previous post), it commes back to 250 quite quickly when there is no load.

and it still very stable... No crashes since 2 days (I did reboot once and restarted luna after installing stuff from Preware - preware always kills a bunch of processes when installing stuff).
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    What CPU temperature ranges considered are normal, warm, hot, or dangerous?
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    i'd like to thank everyone involved in developing the kernals and scaler apps.

i just switched to UberKernal and Govanah from unixpsycho and caj2008 800 MHz patch and CPUUberScaler

I was having issues scaling between 250Mhz and 800Mhz and i had to pull the battery multiple times a day before, but i'm happy to say that since switching to UberKernal and using conservative governor with 250min and 800max i've had no problems.

I would like to point out that it takes a little while to upscale from 250, causing some lag....
    Just want to say that i too switched from the 1.4 kernal to uber kernal. ran the recovery kernal and install of both uber and govnah with preware alpha flawlessly. right now i am using uber scaler and everything seems to working very well. the 1.4 kernal would only last a day or two before things would go crazy. messaging app wouldnt open and email would be a blank white screen. also got a modem error when running quick tests. all have been fixed by uninstalling it. Great work cant wait to see where this goes.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    What CPU temperature ranges considered are normal, warm, hot, or dangerous?
    From what I've noticed

Normal: 40C and under

Hot: 41-49C

Dangerous: 50C and up
    I was getting random screen lock ups this weekend, til I read Rod's post about leaving Govnah open and it building up memory... since this morning, I've just had it open to check stats and have been closing it and have had no screen lock ups and luna restarts

I've mostly been playing with the conservative governor, I've found these settings to be pretty much spot on for me (although I'm sure I'll tweak em some more)

• Conservative
    • scaling_min_freq - 500MHz
    • scaling_max_freq - 800MHz
    • sampling_rate - 500000
    • freq_step - 15%

Everything else is default. After reading a post on here, I found changing the sampling_rate to 500000 made a massive difference with the conservative governor, as for those unaware of the meaning, it'll check the CPU usage and decide whether to upscale or not, which makes a HUGE difference when suddenly starting to scroll. Also found 5% freq_step (the default) was way to low when you really need the CPU speed to snap up a bit quicker.

It's great to read everyone's results and it's helped me out massively. This is a superb community and of course a massive thanks to Rod, Oil and the webOS Internals team for making our Pre's 100% better
    You guys on conservative are able to scale back down to 250 (without a reboot) after opening the video camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Verarb275 View Post
    You guys on conservative are able to scale back down to 250 (without a reboot) after opening the video camera?
    yes and I can record multiple video without any issues.

like someone else said on the thread, close Govnah to make sure it doesn't eat up all the memory.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    I've been running "conservative" most of the day today without changing any defaults and have had great stability and performance as the others have lately.

I did run "performance" for a few hours this morning and had a random reboot while not even touching the phone.

I'm going to give MechanicalMind's settings a shot next and see if i can see a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Verarb275 View Post

like someone else said on the thread, close Govnah to make sure it doesn't eat up all the memory.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ukabu View Post

I think he was asking if the phone will scale back down to 250Mhz after you use the camera application and not if you had troubles using the camera application.

Verarb275: I just tried this and my phone will not scale back down below 500mhz after using the camera application. I have not tried rebooting, but I'm sure that will resolve it as you mentioned.

Update: Just verified after restart I'm able to scale below 500Mhz again.
    Last edited by rawspot; 04/26/2010 at 04:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Ok, I'm on the UBERKernel bandwagon, too. I downloaded the .ipk's directly to a computer from the testing feed, installed via WebOSQuickInstall 3.12. Installed the kernel first. Phone rebooted on it's own (eventually). Then, when it was back up and running, I installed Govnah. Scaling down to 250 and back up seems to work. I can manually peg the CPU at 800 also, and Govnah shows expected results.

Bang-up job, guys! Great work!

One question -- I was using the IPK-installed 800MHz kernel before, and uninstalled that before going with UBERkernel. That one just kept the CPU pegged at 800, correct?

Thanks again!