Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    How do I cleanly exit this so that when I unmount everything it doesn't give me a resource busy error?
    how windows users? Can be config on Windows ???
    I have just been playing around with this. I have managed to get synergy working on the Pre.

When I say synergy I mean the open source app for keyboard/mouse sharing between computers.

Was simple enough just an `apt-get install synergy`

then `synergyc 192.168.0.172`

Where 192.168.0.172 is the IP of my desktop computer running synergys with a config which looks something like this:

# sample synergy configuration file
    #
    # comments begin with the # character and continue to the end of
    # line. comments may appear anywhere the syntax permits.

section: screens
    andrew-desktop:
    andrew-laptop:
    palm-webos-device:
    end

section: links
    andrew-desktop:
    left = andrew-laptop
    right = palm-webos-device

andrew-laptop:
    right = andrew-desktop

palm-webos-device:
    left = andrew-desktop

end

Now I have full keyboard/mouse control of my Palm Pre running an XServer.

I realise this isn't particularly useful!!!

Regards,
    Andrew
    (I tried to edit my original message but Chrome keeps crashing!)

Just realised... This would, on the other hand be rather useful with a webos tablet!
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I never thought about using synergy on the Pre before. I use it on other PCs all the time. This could indeed be useful for the various dev work I do in X. Will have to try this out later.

- phil_bw -
    Overall what is the status on this?

I am intrigued by this title and wondering how it is going: How To Run Any Linux App on a Palm Pre

Thanks!

- Craig
    any update on this project? do I need to get some donations together? I think after the save/restore project this would be the best WebOs app ever!! and maybe more important now that I think about it.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtzWill View Post
    Regarding USB mode issues:

The issue is 100% your chroot, and nothing to do with X itself. X just acts like any other application .

The device can't "go into usb mode" because in order to do so it needs to unmount /media/internal. It /can't/ do this if you're actively using files on it via your chroot mounts.

So unmount the items on your chroot and things should be fine.

I haven't actually tested this but fairly certain that's what's going on. Post back if that's not the case/doesn't work.

Note that you can verify you have nothing mounted on /media/internal via running 'mount' and inspecting the results (or 'mount |grep internal', etc).

I followed all the steps to unmount and for some reason I would not let me go into usb mode. Maybe because I followed the wiki and tried the "mount -o bind /tmp /media/cf/tmp" command from within chroot. Issue is addressed earlier in this thread. Im not sure if that was the issue but reseting the phone unmount/remounts everything. This solved the problem. For anyone having the issue unless you messed with the fstab a simple reset should fix this.

Also missed a space after the pipe which kicks you from ssh which may lead to problems later.

Now I am having problems with chroot itself.

Everytime I try to apt-get any program I get

dpkg: `ldconfig' not found on PATH.
    dpkg: `start-stop-daemon' not found on PATH.
    dpkg: `install-info' not found on PATH.
    dpkg: `update-rc.d' not found on PATH.
    dpkg: 4 expected program(s) not found on PATH.
    NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /sbin.
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

I attached a screenshot. Im pretty sure I followed everything . Does anyone know why this would happen.

Ok If anyone is getting the problem posted above you need to sudo. When you go into the chroot ssh still displays root@ but when you try to apt-get youll get the above issue. Type "su" and hit enter and it will replace "root@" with your privliged user name. It looks like you dropped a level in user rights but it works. After you can apt-get install without a problem. This was probably pointed out before but I searched and found nothing regarding the error now if someone searches hopefully they find this post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nullr; 06/12/2010 at 01:23 AM. Reason: adding picture, found solution
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Well, thanks to Microsoft's influence in WebOS, apparently 8 gigs is too big!

I'm going for 3.5 gigs now, and am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be enough for short-term tinkering. Every time that I have ever installed X on a Linux box in the past, there never seemed to be enough disk space free to actually use it.....
    Have you tried formating the Pre's usb partition to NTFS ? Im not sure if it will let you and you will everything stored in the USB but it might be worth it. I have too much stuff on mine to try this and I have the original pre sprint so I dont have much more space to spare anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiperla View Post
    Oh, just so you know. For the Windows Users, I will write STEP by STEP instructions of everything I have done. We had some good steps in this thread, but I will write it well enough for anyone to be able to do this, even the none technical folks. It will be easy, trust me. Just don't blame me if you brick your device.
    jdiperla any progress on the step by step for windows users? I want to install and experiment I just don't know where to start. I am running Windows XP and I look forward to the instructions or someone else providing any additional information to get started. Not afraid to doctor my Pre if I mess something up.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    jdiperla any progress on the step by step for windows users? I want to install and experiment I just don't know where to start. I am running Windows XP and I look forward to the instructions or someone else providing any additional information to get started. Not afraid to doctor my Pre if I mess something up.
    I made a thread yesterday for this. I also show you how to install vlc media player (second to last step) but you can just skip that step if all you want is the window manager. You wont mess up your pre. The worst that can happen is you lose usb mode after going into chroot. This is fixed by rebooting.The download is pretty big for windows so start that asap youll have to wait. Im looking into resizing it with the Pre. I read it was slow but might be worth anyway. For now the method in the thread should work.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...er-method.html
    I looked at that thread and was hoping it was the information needed. I tried to download the torrent you posted and it is at 0mb so waiting patiently for it to download.
  13. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I looked at that thread and was hoping it was the information needed. I tried to download the torrent you posted and it is at 0mb so waiting patiently for it to download.
    same problem
    Linux rules, When will the beta version come out.
    Last edited by Filipxy; 07/09/2010 at 07:53 AM. Reason: question
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Filipxy View Post
    Linux rules, When will the beta version come out.
    Do you mean like a preware install or just enough to try? If its the first I have no good news for you. If its the latter then try my thread. If you are on windows and the first step does not work let me know so I can seed the torrent just reply to either this thread or my thread. I stopped seeding after a while and no one who leeched bothered to seed back.
    Quote Originally Posted by nullr View Post
    Do you mean like a preware install or just enough to try? If its the first I have no good news for you. If its the latter then try my thread. If you are on windows and the first step does not work let me know so I can seed the torrent just reply to either this thread or my thread. I stopped seeding after a while and no one who leeched bothered to seed back.
    Hello i wanted to know what is the status of X server for Pre, Alpha , beta ... ?
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Filipxy View Post
    Hello i wanted to know what is the status of X server for Pre, Alpha , beta ... ?
    The Xserver is on the webos internals beta feed. So im going to go with beta. Although other than lacking volume control and automatic screen rotation id say its pretty much complete.
    Quote Originally Posted by nullr View Post
    Ok what does seed mean?
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Ok what does seed mean?
    When you leech you download (from a seeder since I uploaded im the original seeder) when you seed you give it back to other people. In theory if everyone seeds at least once torrents never die. Im seeding on transmission now.
    forgive my questions about this so basically it means keep file sharing on in limewire correct?
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast