Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dukeboxer View Post
    to phwelo - I am trying to set up pidgin but I can't click on the text field to enter the user name or password, the cursor wont show up in that field. Is there a trick, maybe tab or something to move through the fields?
    using icewm if you click the top left icon you get a dropdown. choose move and then move the oversized window around and you can then get to the controls that you couldn't reach before. i'm sure there's a better way but this is how i did it haha
    http://phwelo.mobi
    for any questions or to send a donation: phwelo@gmail.com
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I'm going to be out of work for a bit after friday so I'll try to package up my fvwm config for everybody. The hold gesture to pan feature is a life saver. It does it quite interestingly too, the task bar and desktop don't move but all of the windows do. Anyhow, look forward to that next week.

- phil_bw -
    you guys are one of the only good things gizmodo had to say about the pre, I cant wait for this to be a reality for non linux experts like myself!!
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    fuse based fat overlay file system meant to provide posix semantics

SourceForge.net: FAT Overlay FS - Project Web Hosting - Open Source Software

source code @ haven't tried it.
    Quote Originally Posted by spotter View Post
    fuse based fat overlay file system meant to provide posix semantics

SourceForge.net: FAT Overlay FS - Project Web Hosting - Open Source Software

source code @

haven't tried it.
    Thanks for the link. The only problem is that it's written in Python

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    I don't see what that problem is. it should be directly translatable to C because as FUSE file systems go, its pretty simple (though I still tend to think its the wrong approach )
    I'm just not sure what I'm missing. I'm able to forward X from my home machine over ssh, but I can't run x apps from my local debian chroot. Could someone post a more detailed step by step or let me know what you think I'm doing wrong? I have xterm and xserver installed and am able to run xterm, but I keep getting "X must be running and $DISPLAY set." when I try to run a window manager or application.

I have set DISPLAY, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
    Last edited by dirtygreek; 04/19/2010 at 12:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by spotter View Post
    I don't see what that problem is. it should be directly translatable to C because as FUSE file systems go, its pretty simple (though I still tend to think its the wrong approach )
    I helped with a C based fuse driver for a work project a while back. It was VERY easy. I'd bet that this could be converted without very much trouble at all.

I for one really like this approach because it means we can access our files on /media/internal while in the chroot without having to unmount it.
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    I helped with a C based fuse driver for a work project a while back. It was VERY easy. I'd bet that this could be converted without very much trouble at all.

I for one really like this approach because it means we can access our files on /media/internal while in the chroot without having to unmount it.
    If someone wanted to take a crack at doing a C implementation of it, we'd be very grateful ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If someone wanted to take a crack at doing a C implementation of it, we'd be very grateful ...

-- Rod
    Well, that was a thread stopper! ;-)
    Unfortunately I can't help there.

Got Icewm and OpenOffice going as well as some other stuff in debian on th Pre. Am now thinking about the best way to get stuff in and out of the environment, lke spreadsheets etc.

Any ideas? Maybe an sftp server running in debian? I'm thinking it is not possible to create a share.....

Next post will be how i did it for others who struggled as I did...will be boring for the Linux commandoes in here.
    I followed the How to get a Debian image on the phone from WebOSInternals Wiki . That was where I got the debian image file and how to resize it.

Pretty much everything else I did except installing OpenOffice I got from this thread that we are in. And a big thanks to everyone who wrote stuff that I am plagiarizing here.

I tried to resize the image file while it was on my Pre and completely messed up the Pre. Don't do it. I downloaded the image elsewhere and resized it to 1500 megs. then transfered it to /media/internals on the Pre.

I created a file to mount the debian image as follows...

(most of these scripts I stole from dukeboxer)

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    mount -o loop /media/internal/debsmall.img /media/cf
    mount --bind /dev /media/cf/dev
    mount -t devpts none /media/cf/dev/pts
    mount -t proc none /media/cf/proc
    mount -o bind /tmp /media/cf/tmp
    and saved it in /var/home/root. I did the following command to insure access..

chmod 0755 filename

Then I need to actually enter the debian environment..

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    export DISPLAY=:0.0
    /usr/sbin/chroot /media/cf
    again, make sure to chmod 0755 filename

A big thanks to tedrampart for pointing to aptitude. I have used apt-get in the past, but now I am a convert. I ran aptitude and added fvwm and icewm and played around with them. Be sure to use the Win95 script for fvwm as the Dr said.

OpenOffice does not appear in the aptitude packages that come with the debian image so.....

To get OpenOffice, I used the following commands from within the debian environment, before I ran a windows manager, or even Xterm server.

Code:
    sudo aptitude update
    sudo aptitude -t lenny-backports install openoffice.org
    It failed part way through, the Pre just puked and rebooted part way through the installation.

After I got back into the debian environment, I ran aptitude (which is included in the debian environment that we used). It threw an error message and told me to quit aptitude and run
    Code:
    dpkg --configure -a
    Then I reran the 2 aptitude commands listed above and openoffice got a little further, however, on running it, It was still missing some components such as calc and writer, so I ran it again and the rest of them made it.

From the debian environment command line I can run Openoffice by typing "soffice".

Or I can run Icewm, and OpenOffice appears under Programs.

For some reason, OpenOffice does not appear on any menus in fvwm, but that just shows more gaps in my knowledge of how to wrestle this thing down.

I also edited the "./media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.xorg-server/start.sh " file to display the desktop in landscape. It is actually surprisingly usable.

Now about that file sharing from the debian environment....

P.S. For completeness, the script to unmount the debian image is:

first type "exit" to get back to the WebOS environment then run:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    umount /media/cf/dev/pts
    umount /media/cf/dev
    umount /media/cf/proc
    umount /media/cf/tmp
    umount /media/cf
    Be sure that you have quit any debian environment programs that are running and you have closed the Xterm Server window before running that or it will fail with a busy error

P.S.S.
    People are noting that you cannot run USB mode while the envronment is running, but you can use WinSCP or what have you to access those directories.
    Last edited by dbtrade; 04/21/2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: for spelling, and PS and PSS notes
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbtrade View Post
    Got Icewm and OpenOffice going as well as some other stuff in debian on th Pre. Am now thinking about the best way to get stuff in and out of the environment, lke spreadsheets etc.

Any ideas? Maybe an sftp server running in debian? I'm thinking it is not possible to create a share.....
    I mounted /media/internal as a --bind in my chroot environment, and set $HOME so that it was my home directory when I did the chroot. Worked good enough to load a presentation file that I had stored on the USB partition into OpenOffice.....
    Has anybody been able to install a Java JRE environment in this Debian environment?
  14.    #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by messinwu View Post
    Has anybody been able to install a Java JRE environment in this Debian environment?
    Yep, there are a number of jre packages available for your apt-get-ing pleasure.

"apt-cache search jre" should give you a good idea of what's available.
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    this project has really peaked my interest and i'd like to thank everyone that's been working to make this possible~

i've been experimenting with tightvncviewer, which i installed via aptitude, however i'm having a strange problem with ssh tunneling.

i have freesshd running as a service on a windows vista machine, it's configured to allow only tunneling.

i originally set this up for using jaadu vnc on an ipod touch to access my home pc when away. jaadu vnc has ssh tunneling built in to it and is able to create the tunnel and then connect to vnc without issue.

when creating a tunnel on my pre via ssh command line, everything seems to be working fine. i am prompted for password, connection and tunnel is made. then, when attempting to connect to my home vnc server through the tunnel, it connects and prompts for the vnc server password. after password is entered, the connection fails, and errors show up in the terminal where i initiated the ssh tunnel.

i have attached a screenshot of the error messages in terminal. any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    chmod 600 /home/root/.ssh/id_rsa to fix the key file warning.....
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    chmod 600 /home/root/.ssh/id_rsa to fix the key file warning.....
    thank you

i was able to fix the disconnect issue by adding -x to the command to disable x forwarding.

vinagre vnc client works surprisingly well, xtightvncviewer not so much.

eagerly awaiting a way to produce a right-click!
    ignore this post and look down. thanx
    Last edited by rev313; 04/27/2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: corrected quoting issue
    Quote Originally Posted by dbtrade View Post
    You need to do that from webos root, not the debian chroot. Once you run the last command before that addendumed command, "/usr/sbin/chroot /media/cf ", that puts you into the debian chroot.

So either type exit, which takes you back to the WebOs root and then run it, or if you are starting from scratch do them in this order, I think.

mount -o loop /media/internal/debsmall.img /media/cf
    mount --bind /dev /media/cf/dev
    mount -t devpts none /media/cf/dev/pts
    mount -t proc none /media/cf/proc

then

mount -o bind /tmp /media/cf/tmp

then

/usr/sbin/chroot /media/cf
    I seem to get an error stating failed: device or resource busy; dont know what that is about. do i need to get a windows manager first before mounting?
    which command gives you the error message? I got one of those in webosqi last night, I rebooted and it went away.. the error is regarding a mount option.. and most likely the device you're trying to mount has already been mounted or its a typo?

you don't need a window manager to mount the chroot, but you need the chroot mounted to get the window manager. the window manager simply gives you a graphical interface when using the chroot through the xserver.
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast